Author Topic: John Myung lyrics and bass  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Heavens_Cove777

• A journey to find The answers inside Our illusive
John Myung lyrics and bass
« on: July 14, 2016, 09:30:25 PM »
I don't know if this has been talked about, but anyone ever notice how on the songs where Myung writes lyrics, the bass also just happens to be much more audible than on songs where he isn't the lyricist??

Especially on Surrender to Reason and Breaking all Illusions
"I'm kneeling on the floor
staring at the wall
like the spider in the window
I wish that I could speak" ✝

Offline Darkstarshades

Re: John Myung lyrics and bass
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 12:18:35 AM »
Yes, I had noted this before, and I think there's a reason for that.

It's no secret that JM wrote lyrics BEFORE actually starting to write the music, and that he would take some chords to the studio, so my guess is that it's not a coincidence, but just the way these songs were written.

I'm fairly sure, however, that BAI did this out of nostalgia and Surrender to Reason was written differently, but I could be totally wrong.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 02:52:24 AM »
I don't think that's the case, Darkstarshades. If I'm informed correctly, the music is written first and JM picks the tune he digs the most to write the lyrics for (also confirmed in the DTF Q&A several years ago). Sometimes he feels most connected to the song that features a lot of bass sections, so it's not a coincidence he picked BAI and STR.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 03:06:00 AM »
Wasn't the main reason for him not doing any post SFAM lyrics that they had established a music first rule? As far as my knowledge goes, lyrics grow around the music in DT, but in Myung's case, music had to adjust to the lyrics.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 05:43:57 AM »
Wasn't the main reason for him not doing any post SFAM lyrics that they had established a music first rule? As far as my knowledge goes, lyrics grow around the music in DT, but in Myung's case, music had to adjust to the lyrics.

I think the reason for the lack of JM lyrics was because what he does write is structured more like a poem or a story and not the traditional verse, bridge, chorus or verse, chorus. That's something that was mentioned going back quite a few years, so I might have some of the details mixed up.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 08:41:46 AM »
No, you have it a bit wrong.  What you are referring to is that JM would submit freeform lyrics to songs without any vocal melody, and the other guys would then have to try to create a vocal melody to fit the lyrics, and change lyrics around so that they would work in the context of the song.  So they eventually said: going forward, it would be best if you submitted lyrics with a vocal melody.

As far as when lyrics were written relative to the music, Mladen is correct.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 08:54:05 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA

There's a great bit of conversation about this particular topic at 16:41. I love this entire video, it was the coolest thing ever of the band, not to mention the kick ass mods on here that made it possible.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 02:46:52 PM »

There's a great bit of conversation about this particular topic at 16:41. I love this entire video, it was the coolest thing ever of the band, not to mention the kick ass mods on here that made it possible.

DTF Fun Fact #13,284........that was MY QUESTION!!!  :metal     :biggrin: 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 04:59:42 PM »
Who is John Myung?  ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 03:23:22 AM »

DTF Fun Fact #13,284........that was MY QUESTION!!!  :metal     :biggrin:
Thanks a lot for it, man.  :tup

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 10:07:14 AM »
No, you have it a bit wrong.  What you are referring to is that JM would submit freeform lyrics to songs without any vocal melody, and the other guys would then have to try to create a vocal melody to fit the lyrics, and change lyrics around so that they would work in the context of the song.  So they eventually said: going forward, it would be best if you submitted lyrics with a vocal melody.

Is that why lyrics on Breaking All Illusions are credited to JP and JM? In other words, JM wrote the lyrics while JP came up with the melodies and revised the lyrics to fit them?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 12:32:27 AM »

Is that why lyrics on Breaking All Illusions are credited to JP and JM? In other words, JM wrote the lyrics while JP came up with the melodies and revised the lyrics to fit them?
As I recall, yes, that is basically what John described.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."