Author Topic: DT quiz  (Read 4289 times)

Offline CharlesPL

DT quiz
« on: July 12, 2016, 07:50:59 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: DT quiz
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 07:56:17 AM »
9/9!!

Had no clue on the TTT Samples question, but one kind of stood out as that answer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 08:00:32 AM »
9/9!!

Had no clue on the TTT Samples question, but one kind of stood out as that answer.

This.

Didn't know number one but the rest is easy.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 08:16:58 AM »
8/9. I didn't know the one regarding the Take the time samples.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 08:22:48 AM »
All shit easy questions except the TTT one. I wasn't aware of the Christmas Rappin one, because I believe DT took the sample from Beastie Boys -  Hold it Now, Hit it, which apparently sampled it from Christmas Rappin, which I did not know about. I knew Dancin' Fool and Power to the People were sampled.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 08:32:55 AM »
Same.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 10:52:25 AM »
I also missed the last question.

I still don't get why Octavarium isn't considered a concept album. Maybe it doesn't tell a story, but there are recurring musical elements between songs, the end mirrors the start, the ascending keys in the songs, the many references to 5 and 8, etc.

Offline krands85

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 12:11:22 PM »
Same.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 12:20:34 PM »
9/9

I still don't get why Octavarium isn't considered a concept album. Maybe it doesn't tell a story, but there are recurring musical elements between songs, the end mirrors the start, the ascending keys in the songs, the many references to 5 and 8, etc.
The bolded part answers your question.  The term "concept album" does not simply mean an album with a concept.  It means there is generally a story with characters that plays out over the course of the album.  Octavarium, and perhaps Six Degrees, are more "theme albums."  Does it make a whole lot of difference?  Not really.  But again, to answer your question, the term "concept album" generally has a specific meaning, which is what the question was getting at.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »
Same.

Yup, this one. I picked Christmas Rappin' and tough luck.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »
9/9

The bolded part answers your question.  The term "concept album" does not simply mean an album with a concept.  It means there is generally a story with characters that plays out over the course of the album.  Octavarium, and perhaps Six Degrees, are more "theme albums."  Does it make a whole lot of difference?  Not really.  But again, to answer your question, the term "concept album" generally has a specific meaning, which is what the question was getting at.
OK. It's just, I always thought "concept album" was a broader spectrum. When I was a teen and started reading magazines/books/webs about prog and other rock sub-genres, Dark Side Of The Moon or Tales From Topographic Oceans used to come up as examples of concept albums, and neither has a plot/characters. So, I considered that, if an album features recurring musical elements or the lyrics/music focuses on a subject (and both examples do both things), then it can be considered conceptual.

But, I get your point. To me both terms mean basically the same thing, though, since I mostly pay attention to the music.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 02:10:09 AM »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 05:41:49 AM »
Such a strange balance of questions. From something somewhat obscure with the Take the Time samples to the fill in the blank with Images and Words.  :lol   Oops, I just gave away the answer.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 06:20:18 AM »
9/9

OK. It's just, I always thought "concept album" was a broader spectrum. When I was a teen and started reading magazines/books/webs about prog and other rock sub-genres, Dark Side Of The Moon or Tales From Topographic Oceans used to come up as examples of concept albums, and neither has a plot/characters. So, I considered that, if an album features recurring musical elements or the lyrics/music focuses on a subject (and both examples do both things), then it can be considered conceptual.

But, I get your point. To me both terms mean basically the same thing, though, since I mostly pay attention to the music.

Those are thematic albums, not concept albums, but nowadays a lot of people like to lump them together.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 07:56:20 AM »
Those are thematic albums, not concept albums, but nowadays a lot of people like to lump them together.
Yeah, I suppose. Sorry to derail the thread.
OK, moving on.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 03:31:48 AM »
"DT's best-selling album is known as..."?

"Is known as"?!! Last time I checked I&W is actually CALLED Images and Words. It's not like "Images and Words" is a nickname.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 05:11:42 AM »
Or maybe the actual title is I&W and Images And Words was just a facade all along! :justjen:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline don_waka

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 05:27:17 PM »
5/9  :rollin

Offline Agalsed

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 05:40:14 AM »
9/9

See, I agree with you. I missed Thai question, too, because I consider Octavarium a concept album. I think there is a distinction between "concept album" and "rock opera." I think rock operas are a subset of concept album so DT technically would have three concept albums in my book.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 12:34:31 PM »
Too many pop up adds. I got frustrated and closed the page.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 01:36:14 PM »
Too many pop up adds. I got frustrated and closed the page.

Don't you have a pop-up blocker installed?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 02:41:06 PM »
No I don't.  Can I get one on my android phone?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »
9/9 for me. It's funny how the difficulty jumps from "extremely easy" (Images & ....) to "pretty hardcore" (the TTT samples)  :D

Also, the concept album question is pretty... debatable at best, especially since I don't really agree with the storyline/thematic albums dichotomy ("concept" does not mean "story") that's been proposed here. Considering even the mighty wiki says the following: "A concept album loosely describes a studio album unified by a larger purpose or meaning to the album collectively than to its songs individually. This may be achieved through a single central narrative or theme, or through a sense of artistic cohesiveness. There is no clear definition."
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 09:31:01 PM »
Why is the first question so difficult but the rest so easy? lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2016, 12:44:55 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 06:45:35 AM »
I know it's ben discussed ad nauseam - but Octavarium could be a concept album.