Author Topic: Portnoy invites the DT guys to play the 12 step with him  (Read 49567 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Portnoy invites the DT guys to play the 12 step with him
« Reply #245 on: July 19, 2016, 02:30:42 PM »
Offtopic, I know, but I don't miss chaossystem at all, he was one of the only two people I've added to ignore list here.

I'm not revealing who's the other one. :biggrin:

Well it's not me. :) :hug:  :-*

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: July 19, 2016, 02:33:57 PM »
Definitely not. :tup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #247 on: July 19, 2016, 02:37:48 PM »
It's hadi-persian
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #248 on: July 19, 2016, 03:22:05 PM »
Chris Pierman is god

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2016, 07:29:27 PM »
Wasn't really expecting that reaction to talking about that interview  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2016, 08:18:20 PM »
Now I finally understand the James LaBrie shovel meme. It's because DT "fans" love constantly digging up old shit. :neverusethis:

FTFY

Yup, because "real" fans know that you can't provide a source to the relevant post so people know that it was an actual quote and not more so-called MP bashing.  ::)

Besides, it's not like there's anything more to discuss here as evidenced by the last page, so why not lock it and move on?

BTW, those large bolded quotes were my attempt at sarcasm.  I got kind of sick of certain musicians putting quotes around  the word fans when discussing someone that isn't cool with his behavior.  The thousands of dollars I have spent on CDs, concerts, hotels, gas, etc.  (even drumming DVDs...and I'm not a drummer) just doesn't matter. 

I think linking the interview was very relevant and appreciated by those who might not of seen it while when it first came out. 

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2016, 08:20:05 PM »
I was happy that I wasn't the only one that remembered that interview. I could never find it, so I was happy to watch it again and chuckle and feel bad for MP and A7X.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #252 on: July 19, 2016, 08:33:16 PM »
I wonder how did MP react when being told ‘Dude, that’s not how we do business. You should have talked to us before.’

Jatruccyundessgini

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2016, 08:38:24 PM »
I'm just surprised that such a big decision was made without talking to the band or their respective managers. I have to imagine that MP had his own manager during that time, or he just went along with the band and their management. I'm just surprised that not more people were involved in his conversations or decisions.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »
This thread is funny (:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2016, 06:32:20 PM »
Wow you guys are looking wayyyyyyy to much into it.

He just wants to reunite for a gig. And they don't want. That's it.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #256 on: July 20, 2016, 06:35:28 PM »
Well Portnoy himself is not helping with this being blown out of proportion.

This is coming from someone who thinks the criticism he gets is pretty over exaggerated on here.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2016, 07:53:28 AM »
People assume too much. They talk as if they knew intimately what goes on between Portnoy and DT, as if they are inside their heads and can see their thoughts. Like a guy said above, it was just an invitation and DT refused, that's it. But people love some controversy, no wonder the topic is 8 pages now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2016, 07:56:58 AM »
Wow you guys are looking wayyyyyyy to much into it.

He just wants to reunite for a gig. And they don't want. That's it.
Agreed.  But Mosh 100% hit the nail on the head with this, which is what has stirred up probably at least half of the conversation:
Well Portnoy himself is not helping with this being blown out of proportion.
And this is coming from someone else who thinks the criticism he gets is pretty over exaggerated on here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #259 on: July 22, 2016, 09:07:41 PM »
People assume too much. They talk as if they knew intimately what goes on between Portnoy and DT, as if they are inside their heads and can see their thoughts. Like a guy said above, it was just an invitation and DT refused, that's it. But people love some controversy, no wonder the topic is 8 pages now.

But, of course, this thread wouldn't even exist if not for some guy who has a love of controversy.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #260 on: July 22, 2016, 09:24:08 PM »
Since MP is so open,  we know it all. Poster, please.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #261 on: July 22, 2016, 09:26:47 PM »
Miguel will probably end up playing with Teodorico as keyboardist
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #262 on: July 25, 2016, 01:41:48 AM »
The way that I see it is this - MP obviously knows that anything he says publicly regarding DT is going to be manipulated to make him look like the bad guy, mainly because when this all started he was being very childish and was making their "break up" very VERY public. At this point, he really should know better than to send out a PUBLIC invitation to the guys about anything, ESPECIALLY when it's an invitation to get on stage and play with him again. It seems to me, that he's doing it knowing they're more than likely going to say no, because he deliberately wants the fans to think they're holding some grudge against him. If he really wanted them to just play with him, he should just send them an email or a text or whatever. Why must he make these things public when there is so much uncertainty to what their response is going to be? Now all the fans know he extended an invitation to them, and when they decline, now it's "stupid old DT's fault that they couldn't just let it go and play the songs with MP for his birthday". It just doesn't seem genuine. If it was me, and I really missed my friends deep down in my heart, I would make it a little more personal, and NOT make it some public Facebook post. I just don't get it.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #263 on: July 25, 2016, 06:22:14 AM »
The way that I see it is this - MP obviously knows that anything he says publicly regarding DT is going to be manipulated to make him look like the bad guy, mainly because when this all started he was being very childish and was making their "break up" very VERY public. At this point, he really should know better than to send out a PUBLIC invitation to the guys about anything, ESPECIALLY when it's an invitation to get on stage and play with him again. It seems to me, that he's doing it knowing they're more than likely going to say no, because he deliberately wants the fans to think they're holding some grudge against him. If he really wanted them to just play with him, he should just send them an email or a text or whatever. Why must he make these things public when there is so much uncertainty to what their response is going to be? Now all the fans know he extended an invitation to them, and when they decline, now it's "stupid old DT's fault that they couldn't just let it go and play the songs with MP for his birthday". It just doesn't seem genuine. If it was me, and I really missed my friends deep down in my heart, I would make it a little more personal, and NOT make it some public Facebook post. I just don't get it.

Completely agree on everything you said.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #264 on: July 25, 2016, 11:35:36 AM »
I disagree, I think MP just wanted to make it a fun thing. Being that he recorded all those songs with DT, He wanted to give them a heads up and felt it would be appropriate to keep them first in mind for the invite. I don't see any harm in that at all and I wouldn't second guess his character. He's done alot of really good things in music and has good intentions.

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: July 25, 2016, 11:36:24 AM »
I totally agree that he shouldn't have made it a public invitation.

He should have asked the guys discreetly .

Whether it's always intentional or not - he has a habit of trying to make himself look good in the public eye and it horribly backfiring.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: July 25, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »
If it was me, and I really missed my friends deep down in my heart, I would make it a little more personal, and NOT make it some public Facebook post. I just don't get it.

That's because you are not a celebrity. That seems like how they communicate everything: On TwittFaceGram, for all the world to see.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: July 25, 2016, 01:51:39 PM »
@MikePortnoy
" Yo @MrsPortnoy

Sorry I got drunk and threw up in your lap at your sisters wedding. Asking for forgiveness FOR MY FANS. "

@MrsPortnoy

" @MikePortnoy MIKE I CANNOT BELIE VE YOU TWEETED THIS. YOU ARE IN SO MUCH SHIT. "

@MikePortnoy

" @MrsPortnoy Seems you can't rely on anyone. Well. I Tried. FOR THE FANS "

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #268 on: July 25, 2016, 02:06:39 PM »
MP just posted in response to a fan's request to pick his brain about songwriting:

"For those DT fans with short term memories and have "forgotten" that I was one of the key writers in DT: https://youtu.be/_ovdzUj8h6o"

Coooooome onnnnnnnn.....

Anyway, I don't think this was addressed to me because I am a "fan" but I'm not sure if I have forgotten or "forgotten" or just always correctly "assessed" his "place" in the band"." 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: July 25, 2016, 03:41:27 PM »
That's what passes us long time fans off.  Shut your mouth Mike and give the guy an answer without being bitter.

It's your damn fault that you have to deal with your bitterness 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #270 on: July 25, 2016, 03:42:43 PM »
That's what passes us long time fans off.  Shut your mouth Mike and give the guy an answer without being bitter.

Sounds like you're pretty passed off yourself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: July 25, 2016, 03:43:40 PM »
 :biggrin: :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: July 25, 2016, 03:47:32 PM »

You feel better now that you pointed that out?  Good for you.

The point stands.  I love his music and will always follow him but damn that's the stuff that rubs me the wrong way.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #273 on: July 25, 2016, 03:53:11 PM »

You feel better now that you pointed that out?

No.  :'(

I agree with your overall point though. Dude has no one to blame but himself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: July 25, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »

You feel better now that you pointed that out?

No.  :'(

I do.  :corn :corn :corn

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: July 25, 2016, 03:54:39 PM »
Alright hugs and kisses. :-*

Kotowboy I fart in your general direction.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: July 25, 2016, 04:20:23 PM »
Alright hugs and kisses. :-*

Kotowboy I fart in your general direction.

:angry: NOW GO AWAY OR I WILL TAUNT YOU A SECOND TIME

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: July 25, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »
 :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #278 on: July 25, 2016, 05:10:49 PM »
I totally agree that he shouldn't have made it a public invitation.

He should have asked the guys discreetly .

I think he did ask them discreetly; he just made the invitation public once it became clear that none of them were coming.

MP just posted in response to a fan's request to pick his brain about songwriting:

"For those DT fans with short term memories and have "forgotten" that I was one of the key writers in DT: https://youtu.be/_ovdzUj8h6o"

Coooooome onnnnnnnn.....

Anyway, I don't think this was addressed to me because I am a "fan" but I'm not sure if I have forgotten or "forgotten" or just always correctly "assessed" his "place" in the band"."

Right, a video directed by Portnoy himself, where he can show himself a lot, is definitely going to tell the real tale as to the songwriting hierarchy in the band. :lol :lol

Watching that, you'd think Portnoy was far more important to the writing process than Rudess, and I think most of us know that that wasn't the case.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #279 on: July 25, 2016, 05:13:35 PM »

Coooooome onnnnnnnn.....

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing