Author Topic: Portnoy invites the DT guys to play the 12 step with him  (Read 49600 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Portnoy invites the DT guys to play the 12 step with him
« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2016, 06:51:41 PM »
I've never seen these many MP haters in one forum  :chill
You have a strange definition of "hater."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2016, 07:18:22 PM »
/Hate Mike Portnoy
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2016, 07:21:36 PM »
Turns out, DT said, "See ya, we're moving on," and A7X said, "Thanks for the tour, adios."  And he was left with neither.  That would make most people a little bitter and resentful, especially an insecure person who frequently needs validation.

This didn't just make him bitter and/or resentful.  It crushed him.  To be that insecure, to think that things were really going great, and then to be "rejected" by both bands really must have been horrible.  It's easy to say that he didn't handle it well; it's much more difficult to say why.  To most people, it was "His ego just couldn't handle it" and while that's true, it's more complicated than that.

Yep, and to make matters worse, the first "new" band he had after leaving DT, Adrenaline Mob, was an abject failure on just about every level imaginable.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #179 on: July 15, 2016, 07:27:58 PM »
In response to a previous post, I don't think he got tired of DT after 6DOIT, I think it was after Score. 

If you notice, he had a master plan for everything and things dealing with patterns and keys and nuggets.  Once they finished 8V with the whole reoccurring theme deal going on, and they performed with an orchestra, and then when asked what the gimmick the followup would have (which ended up being SC) Mike kinda threw his hands in the air.  The only thing that was consistent was that he did his 12 Step Suite.  By the time BC&SL rolled around, the only things on his bucket list were touring with a huge band and performing at Madison Square Garden.  He said touring with Metallica, Rush, or Maiden would be a dream.  Maiden was the only feasible one and that happened...in MSG. 

A7X offering to have him tour was the perfect excuse to bail but like most people agree, he probably thought he would be asked on full time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2016, 07:29:20 PM »

If you notice, he had a master plan for everything and things dealing with patterns and keys and nuggets.  Once they finished 8V with the whole reoccurring theme deal going on, and they performed with an orchestra, and then when asked what the gimmick the followup would have (which ended up being SC) Mike kinda threw his hands in the air.  The only thing that was consistent was that he did his 12 Step Suite.  By the time BC&SL rolled around, the only things on his bucket list were touring with a huge band and performing at Madison Square Garden.  He said touring with Metallica, Rush, or Maiden would be a dream.  Maiden was the only feasible one and that happened...in MSG. 

That's interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2016, 09:01:42 PM »
He should have gone Luca Turilli and founded "Mike Portnoy's Dream Theater"
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2016, 09:04:06 PM »
He should have gone Luca Turilli and founded "Mike Portnoy's Dream Theater"

Dream Theater of Fire!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2016, 10:07:49 PM »
Honestly, you have to be pretty obtuse and deliberately looking for reasons to hate Portnoy to be put off by the "all four Dream Theater guys" comment.  There's nothing there to be offended about.

After all the comments that have ensued, I think it can be said that a lot of people don't really like MP. I suppose 'hate' is an extreme word for it; even my Dad has told me numerous times that I throw that word around too often. But really, I think everyone is just making a meal out of this.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2016, 11:18:04 PM »
I don't think that discussing Mike's personality, including his very real issues with control and seeming lack of throttle between his brain and his mouth, and the consequences of them, makes us haters.  I still very much admire the guy as a musician and respect what he's done and continues to do as an artist, but I also think the guy has some problems which you'd have to be blind, deaf, and dumb not to acknowledge.  Nobody here is saying "He's such an asshole!"  That would imply that he enjoys causing chaos and harm, which clearly isn't the case.  I would even characterize the current discussion as leaning toward the apologist side.  He's not hurtful toward others out of malice, and he's not harmful to himself on purpose, either.  He's an impulsive guy who makes bad decisions sometimes, as do we all.  The difference is that he does his very publicly, and loudly.  Acknowledging that and discussing it doesn't make you a hater.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #185 on: July 16, 2016, 12:59:14 AM »

I don't think the people of this forum really hate or despise Portnoy.  I do think the forum are really really deep in terms of analyzing him and his quirks and flaws, in addition to his positive qualities.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #186 on: July 16, 2016, 04:04:46 AM »
In response to a previous post, I don't think he got tired of DT after 6DOIT, I think it was after Score. 

A7X offering to have him tour was the perfect excuse to bail but like most people agree, he probably thought he would be asked on full time.

I also agree with this, but that's life basically, it can happen to anyone that one day you wake up and you realize you're not enjoying what you're doing anymore, be it your work, your band or the relationship with your wife.

If at all, kudos to him for having such a fire going on for so many albums, there's only so much you can do before you run out of even the widest of imaginations, which he surely had when it comes to the extra stuff.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2016, 05:09:00 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2016, 06:21:49 AM »
I don't think that discussing Mike's personality, including his very real issues with control and seeming lack of throttle between his brain and his mouth, and the consequences of them, makes us haters.  I still very much admire the guy as a musician and respect what he's done and continues to do as an artist, but I also think the guy has some problems which you'd have to be blind, deaf, and dumb not to acknowledge.  Nobody here is saying "He's such an asshole!"  That would imply that he enjoys causing chaos and harm, which clearly isn't the case.  I would even characterize the current discussion as leaning toward the apologist side.  He's not hurtful toward others out of malice, and he's not harmful to himself on purpose, either.  He's an impulsive guy who makes bad decisions sometimes, as do we all.  The difference is that he does his very publicly, and loudly.  Acknowledging that and discussing it doesn't make you a hater.

Hear, hear!!

:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2016, 07:08:48 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2016, 10:02:03 AM »

I don't think the people of this forum really hate or despise Portnoy.  I do think the forum are really really deep in terms of analyzing him and his quirks and flaws, in addition to his positive qualities.
There are definitely some people on here who seem heavily biased against him and pick apart everything he says right down to the pronoun usage. That said, it's a minority and there are just as many who defend him blindly. This forum as a whole seems to be pretty objective on him for the most part, if a little over analytical.  :lol But I get it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2016, 01:33:30 PM »
Nobody hates him. In fact, I think that what makes this conversation somewhat interesting is that even those (me included) who have been critical of him love  the man's work to some extent. He was a huge musical influence on me some years ago, and I'll always cherish that; but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of him when he speaks. He has seen some criticism in this forum because, according to some of our opinions, he has deserved it lol.

If you want a place where you want to talk mostly wonders about him and have lots of people to agree with you, you can always join MP.com. :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Iceyice

« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2016, 02:11:02 PM »
I definitely am a fan of Portnoy. I wish i could meet him someday.

The poster that said Adrenaline Mob was a failure on every level is wrong. 'Omerta' was a great album.

I think this whole thing is just the first step to him getting back in the band. We know it's going to happen. Maybe later than we think, but think.....even Dokken is getting back together for some Japan shows. Who thought that would ever happen? Someday Geoff Tate will be back in Queensryche. The only one that i don't see happening, as VH is my fave band is Mike Anthony getting back in, unless Sammy returns....
'Just when you're through hanging on......you're saved.....'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2016, 02:21:26 PM »
Adrenaline Mob was like a midlife crisis.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2016, 02:29:37 PM »

The poster that said Adrenaline Mob was a failure on every level is wrong. 'Omerta' was a great album.

I think this whole thing is just the first step to him getting back in the band. We know it's going to happen. Maybe later than we think, but think.....even Dokken is getting back together for some Japan shows. Who thought that would ever happen? Someday Geoff Tate will be back in Queensryche. The only one that i don't see happening, as VH is my fave band is Mike Anthony getting back in, unless Sammy returns....
That's pretty much how I see it. DT had a relatively clean breakup compared to bands like GNR or Van Halen. I don't think a DT reunion is that far out of the realms of possibility, I just think MP is asking for it too early. Give it time and maybe it'll happen.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »

I think this whole thing is just the first step to him getting back in the band. We know it's going to happen.

I hate this kind of blinkered fanboi opinion.

Portnoy will NEVER be a full time member of Dream Theater ever again.

NEVER.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2016, 02:45:33 PM »
Here here Kev.

where?

Hear hear John.   You feel better bro? :biggrin:

Oh, I didn't say that because you spelled it wrong. I was just being a ball-buster.

You haven't seen hate until you've seen my reaction to the person who gets in the way of my meal times.

Offline Iceyice

« Reply #197 on: July 16, 2016, 02:46:03 PM »
 That's pretty much how I see it. DT had a relatively clean breakup compared to bands like GNR or Van Halen. I don't think a DT reunion is that far out of the realms of possibility, I just think MP is asking for it too early. Give it time and maybe it'll happen.
[/quote]

Yup, the breakup was relatively clean. All Mike wanted to do was take a break. I don't blame him, because DT weren't making completely great albums. Maybe 3-4 great songs, some true clunker songs, and some that needed serious editing. There was the burnout issue.
My only problem is what to do with MM. You can't just kick him to the curb as he has been a more than capable replacement. I appreciate him a lot. Has the personality of a head of lettuce, but not everyone can't be colorful, lol.

Offline Iceyice

« Reply #198 on: July 16, 2016, 02:48:43 PM »

I think this whole thing is just the first step to him getting back in the band. We know it's going to happen.

NEVER.

Ha ha ha. Maybe you can pick some lottery numbers for me, since you know the future.

And of course i'm a fan.....

Offline Mosh

« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2016, 02:58:49 PM »

NEVER.
This is just as arrogant as people who say it's guaranteed for Portnoy to come back.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: July 16, 2016, 03:02:19 PM »
It's just when people say Portnoy will OBVIOUSLY return to Dream Theater full time...

When everyone in the band has repeatedly said that will not happen.

I see it happening for a one off show but not re-joining full time - even if mangini retires.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #201 on: July 16, 2016, 03:46:52 PM »
They should fire Mangini and get Lars. Better than both Migueles
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #202 on: July 16, 2016, 05:00:54 PM »
It's just when people say Portnoy will OBVIOUSLY return to Dream Theater full time...

When everyone in the band has repeatedly said that will not happen.

I see it happening for a one off show but not re-joining full time - even if mangini retires.

I can see Myung's face when he gets the news that everyone else is ready for Mike to finally return to the band full-time...

It looks the same as it always does.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #203 on: July 16, 2016, 05:19:26 PM »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2016, 09:50:04 PM »
Oh God, his eyes are so open.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
« Reply #205 on: July 16, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
Nobody hates him. In fact, I think that what makes this conversation somewhat interesting is that even those (me included) who have been critical of him love  the man's work to some extent. He was a huge musical influence on me some years ago, and I'll always cherish that; but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of him when he speaks. He has seen some criticism in this forum because, according to some of our opinions, he has deserved it lol.

If you want a place where you want to talk mostly wonders about him and have lots of people to agree with you, you can always join MP.com. :D

Thanks for the advice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #206 on: July 16, 2016, 11:17:27 PM »

Thanks for the advice.

It's good advice.  If you're such a fan of the man that you can't handle reading a little constructive criticism, his site, where such talk is frowned upon, could be the perfect fit for you. We're just trying to help.

Come on now. :lol

We do? 

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2016, 11:31:06 PM »

Thanks for the advice.

It's good advice.  If you're such a fan of the man that you can't handle reading a little constructive criticism, his site, where such talk is frowned upon, could be the perfect fit for you. We're just trying to help.

I never said it was bad advice. I AM a fan of the man, and I'm also a fan of Dream Theater. My comments have in now way suggested that I 'can't handle reading a little constructive criticism'.

However, if the discussion here is geared towards purely criticizing MP's actions and comments; then it's not much of a discussion, is it? Just because I'm defending what he (MP) says, y'all seem to be pushing me towards MP's forum. If you're referring to my infamous 'hater' comment, I followed up by saying that it might have been too strong a word.

MP is a drama queen.
An egotistical, disturbed man.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2016, 12:24:26 AM »

Breakup? Reunion?
The band never split! They just replaced the drummer, after all. And didn't even take too long to come back with a new album. In the golden years, Yes changed drummer pretty frequently and no one ever talked about "Yes breakup". Ok Portnoy was a founder member, the one who gave the name to the band (his beloved father's advice), has been there for decades, but that doesn't qualify for "breakup".
From Rome, with love.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2016, 12:52:47 AM »
Imagine you part ways with a friend, and that friend goes away to do his stuff, various differences between you two and maybe he moves to another city altogether.

And after that, you meet a new friend, and you start to trust each other. 5 years is damn enough time to put large amounts of your trust and friendship on someone, would you tell that new friend to go fuck himself just because your old friend decides to come back?

They basically share many things during the months a tour lasts, and the writing and the recording, so stop treating it as if it was merely a business relationship, which is not.
They clearly get along, and Portnoy, while still relevant and they possibly still care very much about him, is just not anymore in their daily lives, which MM is.

I'm pretty sure MP wants the Kevin Moore treatment, where the band repeatedly invites him to come back to remember old DT days, and remember, between KM leaving the band and the Roseland show (in which, as far as I know KM was invited to perform SDV) there are 5 years, which is around the time MP has out of the band.
Jatruccyundessgini