Author Topic: Portnoy invites the DT guys to play the 12 step with him  (Read 49603 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Portnoy invites the DT guys to play the 12 step with him
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2016, 05:46:39 AM »
The canadian SINGER and the korean BASSIST have proven to ME that THEY don't want this reunion possible. I wanted NOTHING but playing FOR THE FANS. And because I am such a good guy I WILL perform THE ASTONISHING completely through LIVESTREAM and make it clear that I am more than JUST a Drummer.

:rollin

Love how he chucks in that it's for the fans when in reality he just wants to play in Dream Theater again.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2016, 05:54:22 AM »
The canadian SINGER and the korean BASSIST have proven to ME that THEY don't want this reunion possible. I wanted NOTHING but playing FOR THE FANS. And because I am such a good guy I WILL perform THE ASTONISHING completely through LIVESTREAM and make it clear that I am more than JUST a Drummer.

MP is chaossystem  :omg:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2016, 06:37:29 AM »
I still think MP leaving DT was the best thing that happened to both parties. It's just too bad that only one side has truly chosen to move on.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2016, 08:19:47 AM »
I still think MP's OCD is the only thing that kept him in DT the last few years he was there......I think he only stuck it out to complete the 12 Step Suite. BC&SL completed the 12 Step Suite and he was gone soon after that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2016, 10:21:55 AM »
And now back to my original point, now that DT has (somewhat) rejected his invitation, MP stays as the good guy; the one that wanted one little harmless performance of his 12 Suite with his original bandmates, while the other guys look bad to the eyes of the fanatics.
Well, but in the end it's not "one little harmless performance". Jordan or JP being in town when MP is playing and them showing up to play Pull Me Under is a little harmless performance; playing the entire suite needs basically a mini-reunion of rehearsals, and it should take place on a cruise also.
The one harmless performance thing was sacrasm. Missed my green in there.  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2016, 10:37:56 AM »
Metallica and Mustaine were able to bury the hatchet and play together.  Even Danzig, Jerry, and Doyle are reuniting for shows as the Original Misfits with all the animosity and legal issues they've had over the years.  It would be nice to see the same happen with MP and the DT guys. 

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2016, 10:42:06 AM »
i'm just FASCINATED how MP seems to think things will ever get better with the guys in DT when he continues to post HIS side of the story at THEIR expense. he takes issue with THEIR resentment, but he seems to not realize he's probably keeping that resentment alive and well.

with all of the "press statements" he puts out, why not a sincere apology if he's legit over it all? why not show up at a DT show and be supportive of their moving on?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2016, 10:56:37 AM »

You beat me to it.  :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2016, 11:10:49 AM »
Metallica and Mustaine were able to bury the hatchet and play together. 

In 30 years, we'll see haha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »

You beat me to it.  :lol

:rollin

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2016, 11:33:33 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mustaine played with the whole of Metallica, meaning his replacement, Kirk Hammett, was also on the stage. 

Online Adami

« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2016, 11:41:45 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mustaine played with the whole of Metallica, meaning his replacement, Kirk Hammett, was also on the stage.

Indeed, I was actually a little let down how it was all handled. (Slightly unrelated rant, sorry..but....keep note DT?)

1. There shouldn't have been such redundancy. When Dave or Ron played, Kirk should have gone off stage. When Jason was there, Rob should have gone off stage. If they wanted a big everyone jam at the end, cool, but it would have been really special to JUST see certain lineups.
2. THEY DIDN'T EVEN FILM IT FOR A DVD!

/rant
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2016, 11:52:36 AM »
I saw myself Mustaine playing with Metallica, he joined them (and he was not alone, it was the Big Four festival) for Die Die My Darling  :hat

And now back to my original point, now that DT has (somewhat) rejected his invitation, MP stays as the good guy; the one that wanted one little harmless performance of his 12 Suite with his original bandmates, while the other guys look bad to the eyes of the fanatics.
Well, but in the end it's not "one little harmless performance". Jordan or JP being in town when MP is playing and them showing up to play Pull Me Under is a little harmless performance; playing the entire suite needs basically a mini-reunion of rehearsals, and it should take place on a cruise also.
The one harmless performance thing was sacrasm. Missed my green in there.  :lol
[/quote]

I figured, I just took the occasion to make my point, maybe Mike himself doesn't realize how actually a huge deal is to play the entire suite to just shrug off a declined invitation as "holding a grudge".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2016, 07:16:16 PM »
When band members leave on amicable terms and refrain from making passive-aggressive remarks or otherwise nasty insinuations about their old band or bandmates, the door often remains open for one-off reunion songs or shows, or even reunion tours. The new (permanent) members often step aside so they're not sharing the stage like in the absurd "big four" Metallica + Mustaine jams which I don't think anyone actually enjoyed (least of all Dave who looked miserable). You know, "for the fans".

Mike Portnoy, being a friend of several past and present members of Fates Warning, a band which handles these sort of reunions like pros, knows this better than anyone--and he knows not even a DT led by Jim Matheos would suffer his presence after all he's said in the press the last several years.

This is what happens... This is what happens... when you're totally uncool after a break-up.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2016, 07:30:08 PM »
I'm missing your point.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2016, 08:41:55 AM »
i'm just FASCINATED how MP seems to think things will ever get better with the guys in DT when he continues to post HIS side of the story at THEIR expense. he takes issue with THEIR resentment, but he seems to not realize he's probably keeping that resentment alive and well.

with all of the "press statements" he puts out, why not a sincere apology if he's legit over it all? why not show up at a DT show and be supportive of their moving on?

Totally all of this but especially the highlighted. If he were truly humble about this and is at a place where he's 'all good'....then why won't he just admit, just privately to the guys that he F'd up....got caught up in the hype of Avenged Seven Fold....and tried to have his cake and eat it too? When that's clearly what happened. He never in a million years thought they'd go on without him....the guy who puts all the time in on set lists and does all the fan stuff and yadda yadda yadda. He thought they'd bow to his decision and remain hostages to his will.

When they said don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out he did all he could to try and blame them....then when reality set in on him and the honeymoon was over and Avenged dismissed him he tried to worm his way back in.

I commend Jordan for having spent time with him here and there since then but don't blame the rest of them one bit for not wanting to have anything to do with him....until at least he'd man up and admit this entire thing was all the fault of his ego.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2016, 11:20:16 AM »
I'm missing your point.

Really? I'm sorry.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2016, 11:42:29 AM »
I'm missing your point.

Really? I'm sorry.

:lol

I was ribbing you for the long about way of saying Portnoy is the his own worst enemy.  Funny thing though, it's over 5 years and he still puts his foot in his mouth through the media.  He can never do things privately.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2016, 12:12:04 PM »
I'm missing your point.

Really? I'm sorry.

:lol

I was ribbing you for the long about way of saying Portnoy is the his own worst enemy.  Funny thing though, it's over 5 years and he still puts his foot in his mouth through the media.  He can never do things privately.

Yeah, but I was also trying to suggest disingenuousness on his part. I don't think Mike just doesn't get it... I think he knows, looking back, that he went about things in the wrong way immediately following his departure when emotions were charged. Having had time to cool down and occupy himself with other projects, he hasn't really changed his approach since then. He has plenty of sycophants who will continue to see him as the good guy as he continues his, err, very public approach to "reconciliation". But the only way he can get friendly with DT again and come back for a song or show or two every once in a while is to go totally silent on these matters for many years, then privately reach out to members, particularly JM and JLB. At his age, he should start with the radio silence if he ever wants that to be possible, and again, I think he knows that on some level.

Did he actually think DT -1 playing songs that aren't even especially significant to them on a booze cruise with him was possible when he went to the media with it? I seriously doubt it. Some will still read it as friendly "Mike Portnoy just can't break through DT's corporate ice," and it seems like that short-term gratification is enough for him at this stage.

(This wasn't that long, was it?)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2016, 03:35:08 PM »
Way too long.  :lol. I kid!

I think Mike can't stop himself. It's just his personality.  Instead of privately contacting the guys he blurts it out in an interview. That automatically put them on their heals and we knew the answer would be no.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:42:45 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2016, 03:38:33 PM »
Hate how he tries to make the band look like the bad guys by offering something that he makes out is best for everyone and the precious fans...

...But in reality it's something he knows they have no obligation or even the time to accept.

Offline FsF

« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2016, 03:59:11 PM »
While it would be cool to see them re-unite for a one-off show (or a LTE show for that matter), I can see why they'd be hesitant when MP says things on twitter like:

Sadly some people aren't as sentimental and forgiving as I am... 😞 Life's waaaaay too short for resentments...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »

I think Mike can't stop himself. It's just his personality.  Instead of privately contacting the guys he blurts it out in an interview. That automatically put them on their heals and we knew the answer would be no.

He's just an exceedingly extroverted person. That's never going to change. That chip in our brains that tell us to think first - his is based on Windows ME.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2016, 04:43:52 PM »

He's just an exceedingly extroverted person. That's never going to change. That chip in our brains that tell us to think first - his is based on Windows ME.

That really changes my perspective on him... Who else could function half as normally as Mike while experiencing constant BSODs?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2016, 04:46:48 PM »

I love Mike.  I will always follow him. Also, thankfully I never owned ME.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2016, 04:53:37 PM »

I love Mike.  I will always follow him. Also, thankfully I never owned ME.

I will always be a fan of his, too. I still read his blog on the MP forums to see what he's up to, but what I said about him is true, for better or worse.

That really changes my perspective on him... Who else could function half as normally as Mike while experiencing constant BSODs?

That's when he sleeps.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2016, 05:31:09 PM »
why the stab at being sentimental? does HE see DT as a nostalgia act or something? THEY want to move forward. i'm sure THEY all have fond memories, but that doesn't mean a reunion is best for THEM.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2016, 07:58:37 PM »
I so want this to happen for purely selfish reasons. I'm not into this newest album or the show I went to for it. So this is something different and would be great to see those songs together

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2016, 09:31:43 PM »

Yeah, but I was also trying to suggest disingenuousness on his part. I don't think Mike just doesn't get it... I think he knows, looking back, that he went about things in the wrong way immediately following his departure when emotions were charged. Having had time to cool down and occupy himself with other projects, he hasn't really changed his approach since then. He has plenty of sycophants who will continue to see him as the good guy as he continues his, err, very public approach to "reconciliation". But the only way he can get friendly with DT again and come back for a song or show or two every once in a while is to go totally silent on these matters for many years, then privately reach out to members, particularly JM and JLB. At his age, he should start with the radio silence if he ever wants that to be possible, and again, I think he knows that on some level.

He had been silent about them for a while until this recently, and I agree that deep down he probably does regret his decision back in September 2010, but on the flip side, my guess is he probably thought, "They want to prove they can do it without me, and once they get it out of their system, they'll want me back."  But it's been nearly six years and they are currently touring on their 3rd album without him, and the realization that "they really might not let me come back ever" is setting in, which probably stings, and given his mouth, verbally or when typing on social media, it can't help but come out in his words, even when he does try to choose them carefully.  Again, he's still the most in the wrong by far (which I think nearly everyone would agree with, except his hardcore fans, who come off as quite delusional when talking about the split), but his frustration, with the band (which is misplaced) and quite frankly himself (which isn't), isn't that difficult to understand.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2016, 12:16:54 AM »
My god, we got one huge novel about MP here.
Seriously, he's the Miley Cyrus/Justin Bieber/Bush of rock, I don't think there has ever been someone featuring so constantly at blabbermouth and having so much to say about him. He can't open his mouth without sparking worldwide controversies and tons of hours of chats about him, lol.

Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2016, 12:26:28 AM »
I think Dave Mustaine has him well and truly covered at Blabbermouth :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Adami

« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2016, 12:27:44 AM »
Seriously, he's the Miley Cyrus/Justin Bieber/Bush of rock, I don't think there has ever been someone featuring so constantly at blabbermouth and having so much to say about him. He can't open his mouth without sparking worldwide controversies and tons of hours of chats about him, lol.

Outside of this form, I rarely hear about him. I check Blabbermouth daily, and he's there............rarely. More so than some artists for sure, but way way way less than a ton others. Honestly, outside of MP and DT fan sites, they aren't talked about much, including MP.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2016, 12:29:30 AM »
True, yes I did exaggerate, but the only time he's not there, is when he doesn't say anything with DT on it.

Or even without it, I recall him being there for a hospital rant. (Or not?)
Jatruccyundessgini

Online Adami

« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2016, 12:31:44 AM »
True, yes I did exaggerate, but the only time he's not there, is when he doesn't say anything with DT on it.

Or even without it, I recall him being there for a hospital rant. (Or not?)

Yea, I remember the weird hospital rant from some years ago, can't remember if I read about it here or there though.

And yea, most of his BM appearances are DT related, but I've seen him listed for things related to Flying Colors, Winery Dogs etc. We just generally ignore the non-inflammatory stuff and pay attention to when he puts his foot in his mouth, but honestly it's not as common as we are saying it is.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:37:04 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2016, 12:37:25 AM »

Outside of this form, I rarely hear about him. I check Blabbermouth daily, and he's there............rarely. More so than some artists for sure, but way way way less than a ton others. Honestly, outside of MP and DT fan sites, they aren't talked about much, including MP.

Pretty much. To everyone else, it's a total non event, as it should be. To Blabbermouth, it's a non event spun into click bait that most people still consider a non event.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.