Author Topic: Live Streaming on Social Media  (Read 613 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
Live Streaming on Social Media
« on: July 08, 2016, 07:16:00 AM »
Given the recent death of a person shot by a cop being live streamed on facebook, I found this article and it was very thought provoking on this new technology that can certainly have a strong influence on people.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/07/reuters-america-update-1-facebook-live-streaming-of-shooting-spotlights-ethical-legal-policies.html

Figured this could actually be a pretty good conversation because we are entering this brave new world of technology.  What do you all think?

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Live Streaming on Social Media
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 07:32:33 AM »
Interesting article, to be honest though, the only thing I could think about the whole time I was reading it was the fact that this women's boyfriend was shot sitting in the car next to her, with her child in the back seat and she took the time to pull the old phone out, open Facebook, and turn on a live video stream?

If my wife got shot next to me in the car, pulling my phone out and videoing it would be really, really far down the list of actions I'd be considering. I just don't get that thought process.

I realize this probably isn't the direction you intended the conversation to head, but that was my main thought...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 08:09:07 AM »
No, but a fair point.  I don't think I'd be thinking that either, but she may have know he was going to die and nothihg she could do, she might have thought getting this live is the best way to send a message about what happened. 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 08:43:16 AM »
As a rule I'm in favor of this sort of thing. It's not the same thing, but some local ACLU chapter somewhere made available an app that was a 1-touch record video button that streamed the video to one of their servers. Their intent was to insure that the video couldn't be seized, as is often the case when people film Johnny doing his thing. That carries some obvious baggage, and this will be much better received, I think, while allowing it to be used in a similar manner.

Two things really struck me about the St. Paul thing. First, everybody is taking her description of events as read. I'm actually surprised by how often I hear people say "he was just doing what the officer told him to do." Maybe that's true, but all we know is what the girl said after the shooting. It seems to be giving a greater level of credibility than what's warranted, and that's certainly a problem. Not a problem for the idea, but something that's going to have to be accounted for by a dimwitted public and an exploitative media.  The other thing that struck me is that she came off as a fantastic witness. Under the circumstances that was one calm, cool and collected young lady. She maintained very good composure and still remained respectful and compliant to the cop that was letting her old man bleed out.

In the interest of fairness I'll also say that Johnny sounded just like somebody who did something he really didn't want to do, but felt necessary. As opposed to the girl's remarkable composure, he was bordering on hysteria, but that's not unexpected or problematic, honestly. I'd say their respective testimonies support both of their stories.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 09:23:53 AM »
Two things really struck me about the St. Paul thing. First, everybody is taking her description of events as read. I'm actually surprised by how often I hear people say "he was just doing what the officer told him to do." Maybe that's true, but all we know is what the girl said after the shooting. It seems to be giving a greater level of credibility than what's warranted, and that's certainly a problem. Not a problem for the idea, but something that's going to have to be accounted for by a dimwitted public and an exploitative media.

This is actually one of things I was trying to hint at by saying this could have a strong influence on people.  That live stream is great evidence, but it's only half the story.  And since this half is what is publicized, the general public doesn't dig deeper to get the full story and the cop is guilty due to the live stream of after the shot was fired.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 11:46:35 AM »
Interesting article, to be honest though, the only thing I could think about the whole time I was reading it was the fact that this women's boyfriend was shot sitting in the car next to her, with her child in the back seat and she took the time to pull the old phone out, open Facebook, and turn on a live video stream?

If my wife got shot next to me in the car, pulling my phone out and videoing it would be really, really far down the list of actions I'd be considering. I just don't get that thought process.

If you were black in that exact same scenario, you'd know that any attempt to do anything else would likely have gotten you shot as well. That women, in my opinion, was extremely courageous and did the absolute best thing she could possibly have done.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 11:51:03 AM »
I kind of agree.

Besides, it seems like the next probable outgrowth of the prevalence of smart phones and social media.  I'm surprised it hasn't already happened more often.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 12:48:43 PM »

If you were black in that exact same scenario, you'd know that any attempt to do anything else would likely have gotten you shot as well. That women, in my opinion, was extremely courageous and did the absolute best thing she could possibly have done.

Not saying she's courageous or not...I'm just saying I would not have thought to do that. My first course of action would probably be to ask the officer if I could attend to my wife who was shot next to me to see if I could help her.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 08:07:34 AM »
This isn't a live stream. But it still deals with Social Media.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime--law/police-push-charge-teens-who-filmed-mocked-man-drowning-pond/EL9POjlIILUiL5uyJQg0NM/

That is just messed up and sad. Are these kids just that messed up in the head to not have a heart and help. It makes me wonder how many teens are this way? Its disheartening and concerning.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 11:04:36 AM »
That story is so messed up.  I understand why there aren't charges being filed against them, but it's so morally wrong that you feel they need to get their heads examined.  This is happening as the same time a dog saving a deer from drowning video is going viral.  What a difference in species.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »
Stupid kids too dumb to understand the gravity of their actions. Some day they will and it'll gnaw a them. We've all done stupid shit that we regret later in life, but rarely this egregious. The penalty for the crime they're being charged with is 1 year in jail and $1000. I'd make it very clear that they're going to do every bit of it, or offer them a deal where there's no jail time and no fine but they have to watch that video once a day, every day for the next thirty years. They're probably stupid enough to think that's a great idea.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 12:03:58 PM »
No way am I going to watch that video.

With any luck, the names of those little shitbags will get out and their lives will be ruined because of this. 

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 03:27:20 PM »
No way am I going to watch that video.

With any luck, the names of those little shitbags will get out and their lives will be ruined because of this. 
Yeah, I've seen the headlines, and I'm not subjecting myself to any video or image of it. I disagree with the need for anybody to ruin their lives, though. Like Barto said, they were too stupid to understand. They won't be for long. The psychological consequences of this down the line will likely do plenty of damage to these kids without any outside interference, and I'm not sure much can be done about that.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 03:30:19 PM »
Not to be that guy, but it's not definitive that they will ever care much about this.

Defensive mechanisms can go a long way to protect us from that stuff. Hopefully they do have the natural consequence of the guilt associated with it, and not the need for other people to become horrible to them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 08:35:42 AM »
Not to be that guy, but it's not definitive that they will ever care much about this.

Defensive mechanisms can go a long way to protect us from that stuff. Hopefully they do have the natural consequence of the guilt associated with it, and not the need for other people to become horrible to them.

I agree.  Sure we all do dumb things when we were young, but this is really beyond that.  The lack of empathy is really strong here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 08:43:08 AM »
Right, if they expressed fear of jumping in to save him because it is Florida and they were scared shitless of gators being there, that would be one thing, but this is completely another. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 01:52:15 PM »
Anyone ever seen Untraceable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIqnESZW0qc
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D