Author Topic: Magic the Gathering  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Magic the Gathering
« on: July 06, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »
Was surprised to not be able to find a thread for this... Any other Magic players here? I've been playing on and off since I was a child, my friends and family and I have gotten back into it in a big way recently. Went to my first draft last week, came in third which netted me $15 in store credit (almost enough to fund the next draft) and a promo card.

Run two decks at the moment:

Standard legal blue mill deck mostly driven by Startled Awake, Tamiyo's Journal, Fleeting Memories, and Erdwall Illuminator. With two illuminators out Tamiyo funds its own tap effect each turn which combined with Fleeting Memories is extremely dangerous.

Second deck is a modern legal white deck. I guess it would be classified as a "white weenie" with Odric Lunarch Marshall and Geist-Honored Monk as the main threats.

If anyone is interested I can post the full card lists for each deck but either way let's talk some Magic.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: Magic the Gathering
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »
I collected/played in high school (around Ice Age/Fourth Edition).  When I lost interest, I didn't get rid of my cards.  I'm glad I didn't, even though I had none of the big money cards at the time (power nine, dual lands).  I'm starting to get back into it since my teenage nephews play now.  I have a ways to go though... so many sets have come out since I stopped.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 05:43:59 PM »
I always liked the pictures on the cards... never played though.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 12:27:20 AM »
just back into it. building a red/green/white agro deck @ the moment. i have everything but the lands. too expensive to get all at once.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 12:51:38 AM »
Great game design, but I will never play a collectible card game again.  Too much of a money sink.

Android: Netrunner is what you want, son.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 06:57:05 AM »
I used to play, in middle and high school. Got into it really early on and collected/traded/played rampantly until the end of high school. Haven't played since, but I have over 8000 cards still, including the entire Power Nine, which many people insist I should sell.

"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 07:39:53 AM »
You could do pretty well if you sold. Could be tens of thousands of dollars in cards https://sales.starcitygames.com/cardsearch.php?singlesearch=black+lotus

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 08:22:01 AM »
Yeah, I know. But I don't need the extra money and the coolness of owning something so rare outweighs the benefits of cash in pocket that will be spent.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 12:29:48 PM »
I used to play a lot of MTG back in the day, now I sometimes get together with friends and play friendly games. I'm not into standard a lot since the format changes all the time but I'm interested in the full list from your white weenie.

I used to play, in middle and high school. Got into it really early on and collected/traded/played rampantly until the end of high school. Haven't played since, but I have over 8000 cards still, including the entire Power Nine, which many people insist I should sell.

Son of a..... Yeah, unless you have money issues keep those, they're value will just keep rising.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 01:48:10 PM »
I'll grab that deck for a deck list in a bit but I have a third deck now I want to give a brief rundown of:

Was at draft last week and fortunately was able to pull a basic version of this together which I then supplemented with cards I have at home (and bought a few). It's Red/Black Vampires/Madness. Main power comes through Call the Bloodline + Indulgent Aristocrat with Stensia Masquerade thrown in for good measure.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 01:51:47 PM »
I loved this game back on the day. I used to be really into it in the Apocalypse/Odyssey days. I kinda replaced the whole it left in my life with Hearthstone (which is cheaper and faster lol). I loved the mythology behind the card sets, and read several of the books published around 1998 - 2003.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »
I'll grab that deck for a deck list in a bit but I have a third deck now I want to give a brief rundown of:

Was at draft last week and fortunately was able to pull a basic version of this together which I then supplemented with cards I have at home (and bought a few). It's Red/Black Vampires/Madness. Main power comes through Call the Bloodline + Indulgent Aristocrat with Stensia Masquerade thrown in for good measure.

Are you using any known list as a base for your decks or are you just creating them on your own?

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 05:03:55 PM »
Nah, if you're looking up decks to build online what's the point? They can be a handy jumping off point but half the fun of the game for me is the deckbuilding.

That said I'm sure my Vamps deck is very similar to something being run by a lot of people right now as it is very effective.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 06:06:01 AM »
Nah, if you're looking up decks to build online what's the point? They can be a handy jumping off point but half the fun of the game for me is the deckbuilding.

I agree, deckbuilding is super fun. That being said, if you're planning on competing in tournaments you'll probably end building something that's already out there.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 07:27:16 AM »
Gonna be buying a box for Eldritch Moon when it comes out, unfortunately I only saw two or three cards I really want to use in the whole set -_-

Hope I get them XD

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 07:39:23 AM »
I want to get some new/better cases for my valuable cards. I chose these years ago because I thought they protected the cards the best but now I want to double sleeve them and see about more archival protection. They weren't worth 4 and 5 figures when I cased them, so now it's time to be extra careful. They are still in optimum condition, albeit some have a little wear, from use before they were valuable.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 07:55:52 AM »
I think if you pay to get them graded they will put them in a storage case with the grading visible (like mint, near mint, etc). Depends on if you want that but will be handy if you do end up selling someday.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 07:59:24 AM »
I would love to get them graded but it costs a lot to get cards of this type graded, especially from PSA. I remember looking int Beckett a while back and there was some reason I didn't go through with it.

For the time being, though, I would like to get some sort of archival storage set up to make sure they remain as they are.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 10:32:24 AM »
I want to get some new/better cases for my valuable cards. I chose these years ago because I thought they protected the cards the best but now I want to double sleeve them and see about more archival protection. They weren't worth 4 and 5 figures when I cased them, so now it's time to be extra careful. They are still in optimum condition, albeit some have a little wear, from use before they were valuable.

There are some sleeves called perfect size that are normally used as the base casing. You should buy some of those as well as getting new cases.
I was just looking at grading prices and holy s*it is that expensive.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 10:44:45 AM »
With PSA, the value of the card also determines the cost of the grade. The more valuable the card, the more expensive the grade. Plus, I kinda don't really want to send my stuff through the mail. I mean, people do it a lot, and it would add a ton to the value of the cards, but damn. In order for PSA to grade my Black Lotus it would cost me $700 minimum because of its declared value. The rest of the Power Nine I have would be in the $85-$200 range each.

BGS is less expensive, I think, but I vaguely remember there being some sort of something that dissuaded me from doing it. I think I could get all 9 of them graded by Beckett for $200 total.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 10:52:08 AM by Hyperplex »

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 06:29:04 PM »
Just recased those cards. Got the UltraPro ProFit sleeves and double cased them in some magnetic UltraPro hard cases. The new cases have a recess with diamond corners that fit and protect the cards perfectly. They are also UV protected to prevent discoloration.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 06:36:07 PM by Hyperplex »

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 07:29:23 PM »
Nice.

I'm very excited for Friday :D

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 06:17:17 AM »
Nice.

What happens on friday?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 06:19:28 AM »
Surprisingly, I never got into this game. It is definitely the kind of thing I would enjoy, so I guess I was just busy with other things when this came out.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 06:30:39 AM »
Nice.

What happens on friday?

Probably the release of a new set.

Edit: So I haven't followed the game in years and I just saw that they're back in Innistrad... And the Eldrazi are there...  :metal
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:41:10 AM by CDrice »

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 06:37:06 AM »
I actually went to a local gaming store this past weekend and they were having a pre-release tournament, sealed deck. They got the cards in advance and got to play them.

EDIT: new cases
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:23:49 AM by Hyperplex »

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »
Yeah prerelease tournaments were last week, the set comes out Friday.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 12:00:22 AM »
i really really like eldritch moon. i drafted it last tuesday and played blue which i never do. it was a small group (7), but i think i'm gonna be drafting again tmrw w/ a much bigger group, so we'll see.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 07:14:52 AM »
Drafting is a blast but I haven't been able to go due to work schedule, but starting next week I will be able to so I'm excited for that.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 07:07:11 PM »
Just got home from a Kaladesh pre-release today.  It was pretty cool, even though I have never done anything like it.  Ended up playing GW and did alright (won 2 of 4 rounds).  The first round was  :eek.  I didn't get enough land and I tried playing three colors.  I ended up failing miserably from lack of mana and too many of the third color.  I don't think I even lasted ten minutes of the 45 allotted  :lol  After cutting out the third color and adding a bunch of land, things worked much better,

I pulled a few nice cards, but no Masterpiece Inventions.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.