Poll

Are there any bad/unlistenable DT studio albums?

Yes
54 (39.7%)
No
82 (60.3%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: Are there any bad/unlistenable DT studio albums?  (Read 12430 times)

Offline avishwanath28

Re: Are there any bad/unlistenable DT studio albums?
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »
The only thing I dislike about ANTR are the MP vocal parts. I don't know if you've ever listened to Dimmu Borgir, but the beginning of ANTR with the double bass and haunting keyboards are completely reminiscent of their music. It's one of DT's heaviest, and darkest, moments.

The weirdest part about those vocals is that the actual lyrics he is singing are not even close to matching his style - "by the grace of God above everyone survived"

???

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2016, 04:16:12 PM »
If you take that line out of context, I agree.  But in the context of the song and that whole lyrical passage, I think it is perfect.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2016, 07:33:46 AM »
Yeah, same. I can't take that part seriously. I basically love everything that's before that part and everything that is after that part. Given that JLB didn't work out to that part either, I would've made a friggin' church choir sing something scary and epic or something. Not that 'Ima be a badass gang guy' approach.

I know the guitar/keys/guitar/keys trade-off is standard DT at its best, but I think that the way the solos are presented and how are played is totally badass. One of my favorite DT trade-offs.

I agree with both paragraphs. I've never been a fan of his vocals and live they usually sounded pretty bad.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2016, 08:44:41 AM »
If you take that line out of context, I agree.  But in the context of the song and that whole lyrical passage, I think it is perfect.

No context can make him sounding pissed about everyone surviving perfect.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2016, 08:48:43 AM »

No context can make him sounding pissed about everyone surviving perfect.

Well, good, because that isn't what's going on in that section.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2016, 08:52:27 AM »
That's what it sounds like.  Not sure how else you can paint it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2016, 09:04:15 AM »
That's what it sounds like.  Not sure how else you can paint it.

I interpret the section as an exposition of the mental trauma the character suffered in the accident and the aftermath. These two lines in particular makes me feel that way
''Like a recurring nightmare haunting my dreams''
''No son should ever have to see his father such a mess''

I think people just focus a bit too much on the ''Everyone survived! ROOOOAAARRR!'' part :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2016, 09:54:04 AM »
DT has 3 albums that never see the light of day in my music collection: WDADU, Awake, and FII.

I really tried to listen to these albums with an open mind, but they're just awful in my opinion. Maybe it's because I'm more of a metal head than anything else, but there's barely so much as a single song I enjoy on any of those 3. In fact, I don't even consider WDADU part of their discography.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2016, 10:09:13 AM »
I really tried to listen to these albums with an open mind, but they're just awful in my opinion. Maybe it's because I'm more of a metal head than anything else, but there's barely so much as a single song I enjoy on any of those 3. In fact, I don't even consider WDADU part of their discography.

If you're a metalhead I don't get why you wouldn't like at least a few songs on Awake. The Mirror, Lie, Caught in A Web and Scarred are pretty heavy songs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2016, 10:10:46 AM »

If you're a metalhead I don't get why you wouldn't like at least a few songs on Awake. The Mirror, Lie, Caught in A Web and Scarred are pretty heavy songs.
That's kind of what I was thinking.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2016, 10:18:14 AM »
DT has 3 albums that never see the light of day in my music collection: WDADU, Awake, and FII.

I don't even see the point of that. It's part of their discography and dismissing it so much that you don't consider it part of their discography is a bit self-righteous.

Awake as a whole is one of their darker and somewhat heavier albums. Caught in a Web, The Mirror, and Lie are three extremely intense songs. Maybe they're just not your cup of tea.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2016, 10:26:40 AM »

I don't even see the point of that. It's part of their discography and dismissing it so much that you don't consider it part of their discography is a bit self-righteous.

Awake as a whole is one of their darker and somewhat heavier albums. Caught in a Web, The Mirror, and Lie are three extremely intense songs. Maybe they're just not your cup of tea.
Well, as for the WDADU comment, it's partly because of the change in singer. Changing singers changes the entire sound of a band regardless of the instrumentation, and it was so early on that I don't count it. It has less to do with the quality of the music, as it does the quality of the singer.

As for Awake, I think it's the whole late 80s/early 90s feel to the album. I didn't really start listening to music until well into the 90s, so it's just not my style. I do like Erotomania, but it's a steep drop off after that for me. I just reviewed my most recent DT song and album rankings, and I actually have Caught in a Web and The Mirror near the very bottom of my rankings. Like 2/10 bad lol. Like they say, "One man's trash is another man's treasure!".

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2016, 10:29:11 AM »

And in my defense, I have the studio albums box set, and they don't include WDADU either  ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2016, 10:31:56 AM »

And in my defense, I have the studio albums box set, and they don't include WDADU either  ;)

I get where you are coming from.  But as to that last point, their decision is not for the same reasons as yours.  They simply do not have the rights to that album, so they CAN'T include it or any of its songs in any compilation.  As their live shows through the years support, the band clearly doesn't ignore the album.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2016, 10:34:04 AM »
Funny thing is they don't have the rights to sell the album, but nobody is even remotely interested in suing DT for recording themselves playing songs from it AND selling those recordings so that's kind of funny.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2016, 10:38:37 AM »
Funny thing is they don't have the rights to sell the album, but nobody is even remotely interested in suing DT for recording themselves playing songs from it AND selling those recordings so that's kind of funny.
They can't sue the band.  They have no rights over any subsequent live performances--only the studio recordings.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2016, 10:40:27 AM »
I get where you are coming from.  But as to that last point, their decision is not for the same reasons as yours.  They simply do not have the rights to that album, so they CAN'T include it or any of its songs in any compilation.  As their live shows through the years support, the band clearly doesn't ignore the album.

I'm assuming that's why WDADU isn't on Spotify either even though the rest of their albums are.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2016, 10:41:42 AM »

I'm assuming that's why WDADU isn't on Spotify either even though the rest of their albums are.

That would be a good assumption.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2016, 10:42:09 AM »
They can't sue the band.  They have no rights over any subsequent live performances--only the studio recordings.
Yes I know.
The funny thing is the rights could be DT's again and ir wouldn't make any difference for anyone.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2016, 10:47:20 AM »
Why on Earth don't they have the rights to that album?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »

That would be a good assumption.

Haha, I know it was kind of an obvious statement, but I honestly didn't know DT didn't have rights to it until Bosk just said that, so I was just thinking out loud...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2016, 11:52:38 AM »
As for Awake, I think it's the whole late 80s/early 90s feel to the album.
Good songwriting, good lyrics, and good production?  I get it.

j/k pal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2016, 01:33:03 PM »

It is and has always been on Spotify in my country. Not that it matters because I never listen to it :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »
Why on Earth don't they have the rights to that album?
The short version is:  Because they were a young, fledgling band that played an obscure kind of music, and it was the '80s.  An small, obscure label signed them to a bad contract that gave that label complete, ironclad rights to the band's material.  When they eventually went to a bigger label years later to record Images & Words, that smaller label refused to sell the rights to WDADU to the new label or the band, so that is where it sits.  This sort of thing really isn't all that uncommon, especially back during that timeframe. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2016, 02:35:42 PM »
And for young bands desperate to get an album out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2016, 03:01:37 PM »

It is and has always been on Spotify in my country. Not that it matters because I never listen to it :lol

Yeah it's on Spotify for me too.

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »
I voted no. WDADU is by far my least favorite album; at least in studio form I only really enjoy "A Fortune In Lies", "Ytse Jam" and "Afterlife" in their entirety, and then portions of other songs. But I wouldn't quite call it unlistenable.

SC is my next least-favorite, but sonically it's pretty solid so again, not "unlistenable" - just not the best songs.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2016, 07:19:34 PM »
Why didn't they just give When Dream and Day Reunite a wide release and let that be the definitive version of the album? It was a pretty high quality release and performance, but doomed to obscurity for being a Ytsejam release.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2016, 07:22:02 PM »
Why didn't they just give When Dream and Day Reunite a wide release and let that be the definitive version of the album? It was a pretty high quality release and performance, but doomed to obscurity for being a Ytsejam release.
Ask Michael for that.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2016, 07:33:25 PM »
. In fact, I don't even consider WDADU part of their discography.

That's like saying, "Grass isn't green."

I'm not sure I see the point in objecting to stone cold facts.  ???

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2016, 07:45:41 PM »
. In fact, I don't even consider WDADU part of their discography.

That's like saying, "Grass isn't green."

I'm not sure I see the point in objecting to stone cold facts.  ???

Really?  But you do that all the time in the sports-related threads.  :biggrin:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2016, 10:43:29 PM »
I understand that thinking. While I know WD&DU is their first album, I've always seen I&W as their first proper album. WD&DU rarely gets a mention in DT related discussions I have in real life. I wouldn't say that it isn't part of the discography, but that is often how I treat it naturally.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:09:55 AM by BlackInk »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2016, 11:24:05 PM »
Yea I get where he's coming from. WDADU is obviously part of the DT discography, but it's so far removed from everything after that it's easy to forget. DT as we know it was really born on I&W.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
WDADU is a little tough for me to digest because of the production, but I think there's a lot of good there and would love for the band to re-record a few songs.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline don_waka

« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2016, 03:55:51 PM »
Yes.

Systematic Chaos  :facepalm: