Poll

Are there any bad/unlistenable DT studio albums?

Yes
54 (39.7%)
No
82 (60.3%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: Are there any bad/unlistenable DT studio albums?  (Read 12478 times)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Are there any bad/unlistenable DT studio albums?
« on: July 01, 2016, 12:16:53 PM »
This came up in another thread.  If I were to rank all the studio albums, the one at the bottom of my list is just meh, but not bad.  It got me thinking, how many people actually think there are unlistenable albums.  I know there are some but I was curious how widespread that opinion is.

If you voted "Yes" then which one(s)?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Are there any bad/unlistenable DT studio albums?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 12:19:11 PM »
Well.....not really, I guess.

I never listen to WDADU, but I'm not sure I would say it's unlistenable (like, for example, Rush's Vapor Trails).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 12:23:37 PM »
Same here.  I never listen to WDADU, because of the production and the vocals.  Not really unlistenable, but if I have to "force" myself to listen to something, it might as well be, because I'm never going to listen to it.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 12:32:56 PM »
I voted yes because of WDADU. Yeah, it's not unlistenable, but it's pretty bad overall as far as I'm concerned.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 12:43:47 PM »
I voted a big fan NO. WDADU would be the only possible contender, but that still has some real good songs on it.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »
WDADU is an enjoyable listen, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. SC on the other hand is the only album that feels like a chore to listen to and I struggle to get through the whole thing.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 12:53:11 PM »

I never listen to WDADU, but I'm not sure I would say it's unlistenable (like, for example, Rush's Vapor Trails).

What's weird is I don't listen to WDADU but I still do listen to Vapor Trails.  BTW not to side track this thread have you heard the remaster Hef?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 12:55:44 PM »
Nope

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 01:36:57 PM »

What's weird is I don't listen to WDADU but I still do listen to Vapor Trails.  BTW not to side track this thread have you heard the remaster Hef?
No, but I heard it's better.

Of course, it would have to be lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 01:47:33 PM »
I voted a big fan NO. WDADU would be the only possible contender, but that still has some real good songs on it.
This pretty much sums it up for me.  And thankfully, we have WDADRU, which highlights that there are indeed some really good songs that just weren't represented on the original album as well as they could have been.  But "bad" or "unlistenable?"  No.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 01:58:45 PM »
This pretty much sums it up for me.  And thankfully, we have WDADRU, which highlights that there are indeed some really good songs that just weren't represented on the original album as well as they could have been.  But "bad" or "unlistenable?"  No.

Exactly. I always thought it was the poor recording of the album. Plus the vocals didn't really fit.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 02:00:07 PM »
Absolutely not, no. I wish people would get it into their heads that there is no such thing as a bad album; they're just albums that you personally don't like. Even if just 1 person on the planet likes it, the "badness" is rendered null and void.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 02:04:03 PM »
Absolutely not, no. I wish people would get it into their heads that there is no such thing as a bad album; they're just albums that you personally don't like. Even if just 1 person on the planet likes it, the "badness" is rendered null and void.
I really just meant from a personal point of view.  Music is so subjective one person can call an album a masterpiece and the next call it bad.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 04:07:41 PM »
Yes, but WDADU is the only one I would consider truly "bad"
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 04:25:48 PM »
No. Even the worst album, Systematic Chaos, is still mostly good.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 04:45:14 PM »
Like an entire album? No.

But most of an album? Sure. Outside of 1-2 songs, I never listen to anything from SC or DT12.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 05:03:01 PM »
Yes.

DT12 is pretty much unlistenable for me. I haven't finished an entire song from that album in years because it just upsets me and I have to turn it off.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 06:26:59 PM »
Gonna echo the majority No.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 09:46:13 PM »
I voted yes because of WDADU. Yeah, it's not unlistenable, but it's pretty bad overall as far as I'm concerned.

That. It's technically listenable, but in practice it's not really listenable.

Otherwise, no. DT have a high standard, and even their weaker albums all have some something great on them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 10:06:13 PM »
I listen to the album version of Ytse Jam quiet often, I can't say the same for anything from FII.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 10:06:43 PM »
I do honestly find DT12 difficult to listen to.  I'm constantly distracted by the snare sound and have difficulty focusing on the music even though I do love the music as well as the drum parts. 

I find WDADU infinitely more listenable than DT12 even though I like the music from DT12 infinitely more.

I hope that some day it's remixed with a different snare like I&W...but not like that snare they replaced the I&W snare with  :lol
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:18:42 PM by gm5k »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 09:00:06 AM »
I voted no. Dream Theater is one of the few bands in the world that doesn't have a bad album.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2016, 09:37:22 AM »
Yes, I think Systematic Chaos is bad and unlistenable.

Black Clouds is bad, but not unlistenable.
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2016, 09:50:09 AM »
Most of Train of Thought & Black Clouds I cant listen to,plus about half of Six Degrees and Systematic Chaos and quite a bit of WDADU too! But then DT are nowhere near my fave band...

Offline Skeever

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »
Systematic Chaos

Bad sound, bad songs.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 12:36:07 PM »
Yes.
WDADU and DT12

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 03:13:29 PM »
No way

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2016, 03:15:01 PM »
The Human Equation
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2016, 06:36:47 PM »
if i never listened to DT12 or WDADU again, i don't think i'd ever regret it

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2016, 07:03:46 PM »
Yes. The last two albums and WDADU.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2016, 08:38:31 PM »
No. WDADU may sound like it was recorded by smashing two bricks hooked up to a car battery together, but the actual songwriting was solid(Hell, I'd put The Killing Hand in my top 3 without hesitation), and although I almost always opt for WDADR instead, I occasionally go for the studio version, when I'm in the right mood. And while DT12 sounds like the final mix was accidentally run through one of JP's distortion pedals, once again, the songwriting saves it.

If we were talking about individual DT songs though, this would be a different matter -- even though I've listened to it twice, I can't remember a single thing about Raw Dog.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2016, 04:54:19 AM »
I voted no, because my least favourite DT albums (DT12 and WDADU) are ones I don't really like that much, but they both have their good moments. In the case of DT12, I'm just really indifferent to/bored by the rest of music on there; regarding WDADU, the main reason I never listen to it is the production.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 07:37:40 AM »
Lol. This kind of relativistic approach rubs me the wrong way, especially when it's presented in such an arrogant manner. By this logic, nothing ever could be considered "bad," since there would always be some bloke on the planet who liked it. No bad movies, no kitschy paintings, no ugly architecture, no lame poetry, no pulp novels. Everything is just a politically correct safe space, there is no good or bad, and beauty is in the eye of the special snowflake beholders. "Null and void," like we're talking law here, give me a break. There's a lot of bad shit out there, and this type of exaggerated artistic relativism just perpetuates that.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2016, 07:53:28 AM »
Lol. This kind of relativistic approach rubs me the wrong way, especially when it's presented in such an arrogant manner. By this logic, nothing ever could be considered "bad," since there would always be some bloke on the planet who liked it. No bad movies, no kitschy paintings, no ugly architecture, no lame poetry, no pulp novels. Everything is just a politically correct safe space, there is no good or bad, and beauty is in the eye of the special snowflake beholders. "Null and void," like we're talking law here, give me a break. There's a lot of bad shit out there, and this type of exaggerated artistic relativism just perpetuates that.