Author Topic: Unreal City (modern day Italian prog) & other Italian prog  (Read 1219 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Unreal City (modern day Italian prog) & other Italian prog
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:03:59 PM »
A friend of mine recently played me some stuff by this band, and I was really impressed. 

Assuming you can handle Italian vocals (and some of their songs don't seem to have a lot of them), songs like this should be right up the alley of any fan of progressive rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csg01iJFo60
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:22:57 AM by KevShmev »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Unreal City (modern day Italian prog)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 08:54:02 PM »
No prog fans gave it a try, eh? :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »
One last bump...

Offline bundy

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 01:57:52 AM »
Thanks for the share. Big fan of Italian prog. Banco are a top 5 band of mine.

Really enjoyed the sample and I see both of their albums score excellent reviews on Progarchives. I've put both on my to get list. :tup

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 04:33:57 AM »
I only had time to listen to the first couple of minutes, but I definitely got a "Wind and Wuthering" vibe from what I heard. Could be interesting. I'll probably look for some more stuff from them at some point...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 05:31:25 PM »
Good to see some feedback finally. :lol :tup :tup

I think the vocals will make it a little hard for it ever to be something I listen to regularly - the Italian vocals just don't appeal to me a lot, which is why I like very little of the classic Italian prog, except a few songs by PFM - but musically this is pretty excellent.

Offline bundy

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 02:06:04 AM »
Good to see some feedback finally. :lol :tup :tup

I think the vocals will make it a little hard for it ever to be something I listen to regularly - the Italian vocals just don't appeal to me a lot, which is why I like very little of the classic Italian prog, except a few songs by PFM - but musically this is pretty excellent.

Have you given Banco a go? If you don't like the Italian vocals you could start with their instrumental album Di Terra. It's stunning. Their first three albums (s/t, Darwin and Io Sono Nato Libero are also brilliant. Each have of them have a couple of epic tracks that have long instrumental sections. Same goes for Museo Rosenbach's Zaruthstra (if you like Gabriel Genesis, you'll love this) and Il Balletto Di Bronzo's Ys.

Still I get what you're saying though - I'm one of those who has deprived myself of some very good music simply because I can't abide growls.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 07:14:49 AM »
I'll have to revisit those. I actually do have about 20 songs by them on mp3, thanks to a buddy who got into some of that Italian prog a a few years ago, and at one point gave me the mp3s to try and get me into them. Some of the tracks from PFM's Stati di Immaginazione are the only ones I remember really sticking.

Offline bundy

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 04:38:05 AM »
With PFM, most fans of Italian prog rate Per Un Amico and Storia Di Minuto as their finest accomplishments. As Banco are a top 5 band for me, I'm going to suggest you give the following a good listen as well as the Museo Rosenbach track. If you can't get past the vocals on these after a few serious listens, i wouldn't waste any more time on Italian prog. as this is the pinnacle.

Museo Rosenbach - Zarusthstra
Whole of first side of the album of the same name. Reminds me a LOT of Gabriel era Genesis. I prefer this epic to Supper's Ready though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgCC4Lhw4sA

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso Il Giardino Del Magio and Metamorfosi
Both from the self titled debut album (eaisly in my top 10, possibly top 5 albums if I ever do a top 50). The vocals on Metamorfosi don't kick in until after 8 minutes. The live version of Il Giardino.. is note perfect rendition of the album track, only the keyboards sound a bit different. Also worth listening to the album version. Yes are another top 5 band for me and I rate both of these on the same level as Awaken and Close to the Edge as far epics go. Most Banco fans also consider these as two of the definitive Banco tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNIwmy0P9Mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDcUm3NRE9s

Banco.. - Traccia II
A beautiful little instrumental from their third album Io Sono Nato Libero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bcFW_mnl_A

Banco...Canto Nomade Per Un Prigioniero Politico
A live version of the opening track on Io Sono...  This version, once again is note perfect, but just the first 6 minutes or so of a 15 minute epic.

I could write a lot more about Banco, but I'll save your time reading and let you enjoy their music. If tis doesn't do it for you with Italian prog, nothing will. (Hopefully) ENJOY! :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 03:20:27 PM »
The stuff by Banco doesn't do a lot for me. I have all of those tracks you recommended, and most of them sound nice, but I can't imagine going out of my way to hear most of them. Very little makes me want to reach for it again.  They fall under the category of bands I think has good stuff, but never feel like listening to.

As for PFM, I am giving them another shot lately.  Appena un Pò is really cool song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Unreal City (modern day Italian prog) & other Italian prog
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 08:23:58 AM »
Le Orme is a nice find.  The albums Felona e Sorona and Uomo di Pezza are both loaded with good songs.