Author Topic: The Astonishing Songs On Second Leg  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
The Astonishing Songs On Second Leg
« on: June 30, 2016, 01:17:44 PM »
So, which songs from The Astonishing does everyone think will make it to the second leg of the tour?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Astonishing Songs On Second Leg
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 01:20:34 PM »
It will be interesting to see how this album will be represented on future tours. Will two smaller pieces be paired like War/Test? There are plenty of standalone songs, Gift Of Music, Ravenskill, Chosen, Our New World..

I think that if they do more of a "traditional" set later in the tour that features a healthy dose of this album with some other DT songs mixed in, it is likely they will choose a collection of songs that is similar to what was on the advance press sampler.  I've posted that track listing, but just so you guys don't have to search for it, I think it was:
-Descent of the NOMACS
-Dytopian Overture
-The Gift of Music
-Lord Nafaryus
-A Savior In the Square/When Your Time Has Come
-Chosen
-Moment of Betrayal
-The Path That Divides
-Our New World

I could easily see them doing those songs as part of their set later on this tour, either with groups of songs sprinkled throughout the set or all together as a "suite."  I might also bet that The Astonishing would likely be added and done at the end of the set as a closer (and maybe they take out The Path That Divides if they need space). 

As far as future tours, who knows?  This band is so hard to predict in terms of what they play because, historically, if you look at their set lists over time, they play pretty much EVERYTHING.  There isn't really a pattern of them choosing certain favorites over and over and ignoring deep cuts (other than limiting ballad time).  Our New World seems very likely to make repeat appearances.  But I think a LOT of the album could easily show up over the years, especially since the songs are so (relatively) short and, therefore, easy to work into a set list.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 08:00:04 PM »
Is it confirmed that the second leg will not be all of TA?

If so, I think bosk1's choices make sense, although I think A New Beginning is far more likely to make it than Chosen, IMO.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 08:10:23 PM »

If so, I think bosk1's choices make sense, although I think A New Beginning is far more likely to make it than Chosen, IMO.

I think A New Beginning would be an excellent choice for improvised solos each night.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 08:16:04 PM »

Nope.  Just speculating.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BanksD

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 09:22:32 PM »
I was brainstorming on this earlier in the day and actually came up with my own little dream setlist of a non-evening with headlining show.

The Glass Prison
6:00
Under A Glass Moon
The Bigger Picture
Panic Attack
In The Presence of Enemies pt 1
Goodnight Kiss ->
Solitary Shell
-Nomacs intro tape-
Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
Three Days
Moment of Betrayal
My Last Farewell
Hymn of A Thousand Voices
Our New World
New Millennium
Learning to Live

This clocks in at just about 2 hours.

I put a nice little chunk of Astonishing material in the middle and mixed in some old school tunes, along with stuff from more recent albums (along with the never yet played The Bigger Picture). I also include a lot of 6 Degrees because that album hasn't been really heavy in setlists in the last few tours.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 06:22:09 AM »
If the second leg ends up being selections from The Astonishing with songs from other albums, I think the songs that will appear with be Dystopian Overture/The Gift of Music (opener), Three Days, A New Beginning, Moment of Betrayal, and Our New World. Those all could work as standalone songs that could be integrated into setlists for years to come. Our New World especially will make a great main setlist closer like how The Spirit Carries On works well as a closer for the first act. I would love to see something like this. I made two setlists with some shared songs.

Act One

(Decent of the Nomacs)
Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
Constant Motion/Forsaken
The Looking Glass/The Bigger Picture
Three Days
Another Day
The Killing Hand
Panic Attack/These Walls
A New Beginning
Take the Time

Act Two

As I Am/Burning My Soul
Moment of Betrayal
Misunderstood/Disappear
Voices
Home/Beyond This Life
Beneath the Surface/This is the Life
Surrender to Reason/Behind the Veil
Our New World

Encore

A Change of Seasons/Octavarium
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 08:18:14 AM »
If they did a conventional first set, an Astonishing second set, and a conventional encore, I would want that second set to be:

- Dystopian Overture
- The Gift of Music
- A Better Life
- Three Days
- A Life Left Behind
- Ravenskill
- Chosen
- A New Beginning
- Moment of Betrayal
- Hymn of a Thousand Voices
- Our New World
- Astonishing

Then finish things off with Metropolis and I can die happy.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 08:19:30 AM »
I kind of think it will still be TA in its entirety.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
Fingers crossed.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 09:05:28 AM »

I actually thought this was already confirmed by the band...
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 05:19:56 PM »
I thought so too.  Fine by me. I missed the first leg. >:(
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 10:23:07 AM »

I'll be surprised if they don't call an audible and change the idea on the fly.  While plenty of fans are very satisfied with the record, a lot of fans are not happy with at all, and those fans seem to really dislike it (rather than saying, "I like it, just not as much as the others). If you look at various sites on the web, it is one of the most poorly received DT albums ever from a collective reviewers' standpoint, and the band has to be aware of that by this point.  Granted, I think much of that has to do with the current climate - in this day and age of instant gratification, many do not have the patience or time to give a concept album that is over two hours long the effort necessary to really come to an honest conclusion - but it is what it is.  I think they'd be doing themselves a big favor by doing more of a body of work set list on the next leg.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 10:41:18 AM »
I think they'll change it too. I actually think The Astonishing would benefit from a bit of a trim anyway. They could focus on it for the first set and then do a second set of career spanning material. Something like this for the first set:

Descent of the NOMACS
Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
A Better Life
Lord Nafaryus
Three Days
A Life Left Behind
Ravenskill
A Tempting Offer
A New Beginning
Moment of Betrayal
Heaven's Cove
Begin Again
Hymn of a Thousand Voices
Our New World
Astonishing

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 10:42:32 AM »
As much as I love the new album, I'm hoping they mix it up a bit. Maybe do one set of Astonishing songs and a second set of select choices from their catalog.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »

I'll be surprised if they don't call an audible and change the idea on the fly.  While plenty of fans are very satisfied with the record, a lot of fans are not happy with at all, and those fans seem to really dislike it (rather than saying, "I like it, just not as much as the others). If you look at various sites on the web, it is one of the most poorly received DT albums ever from a collective reviewers' standpoint, and the band has to be aware of that by this point.  Granted, I think much of that has to do with the current climate - in this day and age of instant gratification, many do not have the patience or time to give a concept album that is over two hours long the effort necessary to really come to an honest conclusion - but it is what it is.  I think they'd be doing themselves a big favor by doing more of a body of work set list on the next leg.
I get what you're saying, but this iteration of DT, in this time in their career, doesn't seem willing or able to "change the idea on the fly".  They would need time to rehearse new music, reformulate the visuals/light show, etc.  Unless there is a significant period of time taken to do that, I will be shocked if any changes occur.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 10:49:22 AM »
The tour ends this month right? Do we have any idea when the second leg will be?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods