Author Topic: Unexpected Gift  (Read 1715 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Unexpected Gift
« on: June 28, 2016, 08:57:17 AM »
Sunday afternoon we were in the midst of my youngest sons 6th Birthday party when a pretty nasty storm rolled through and knocked our power out around 4:00pm. We continued the party....all went fine....yadda yadda yadda....power comes back on around 7:00pm, but only for about 20 minutes and then it went out again. Via texts and what not between the neighbors we learned that our power wasn't expected to return on until midnight or so.

Well....with no power and not much to do I grabbed my two older sons and told them we were going 'training' since they are signed up for their first kid 'mud run' in two weeks. We ran the streets of our subdivision for about twenty minutes or so and returned home. Once we got there my middle son (8 yrs old) and I decided to walk down to the front of the subdivision just to see if maybe power lines were down....he thought maybe we'd 'see' something.

We walked down there and there was nothing to see. But.....and this is where my point for the post comes in....we just kept walking and talking. We ultimately ended up walking our darkened subdivision streets and talking until close to 10:30. We talked about a ton of things...the boys are changing schools this year so we talked about that for some time....we talked about God and his thoughts on spirituality ....and most of all I just listened to him and all his ideas and thoughts on many different topics. I threw in conversation as well...but it was a lot of listening to a very smart little boy give me his perspective on a lot of things. This particular son is very thoughtful....people use the phrase 'old soul' a lot to describe young kids with the type of spirit and thoughtfulness he has....simply put, he's not your typical 8 year old boy....which I'm super proud of him for. This may sound strange, but I can guarantee you I got WAY more out of our night together than he did...it was such a refreshing gift and reminder to me on 'why' I'm a Father.

Now, I consider myself an involved Father and spend a lot of time with my kids. But...the time I was able to spend with him that night was probably one of my most cherished memories and moments with him to date. It was THAT awesome to me. It may seem 'sappy' or whatever....but it really was a great few hours.

It made me start to question some of my parenting choices....because had that storm not knocked the power out I know full well that would have never happened because we'd probably settled into our 'routine' at night and that'd have been that. I started thinking that I really need to re-focus on what is important in life and that moments like that are there to be had all the time but I probably miss them due to some other choices I make. I haven't beat myself up too much for not having more of those moments with my kids because as I said I do believe I'm a pretty involved Father....but Sunday night did remind me of a couple things.

Most of all, that I have a massive responsibility as a Father and that I can't "take a break" from that ever and I can't get comfortable with a routine or system of raising them. I need to be fluid and ready and present to be there for my kiddos at any moment and that if you stop to listen, a child may just teach you something that you didn't think you needed to know.

Anyway....sorry for the long post but I wanted to share that......
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Unexpected Gift
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:00:37 AM »
I fully expected to come into this thread to read that you somehow got your wife pregnant again despite your surgery  :lol

The photos you post on Facebook with your kids make me want to be a dad.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:09:11 AM »
I fully expected to come into this thread to read that you somehow got your wife pregnant again despite your surgery  :lol

:omg:    :lol    yeah....I can see how the title of the thread could lead to that assumption. That would certainly be an unexpected gift....and there'd be a lot of explaining to do   :lol

The photos you post on Facebook with your kids make me want to be a dad.

They are great kiddos....mostly due to their awesome mother. I find it highly rewarding and when/if you become a Father I imagine you'd develop the same sentiment.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 09:22:36 AM »
 :tup :tup

As a parent much of the "routine" comes from daily things that need to be done..meals, work, school, homework, housework, etc...

Every now and then we need a curveball, like a power outage to knock us out of our routines. So that's great.

I feel like our kids give us unexpected gifts everyday, we just need to be more aware of them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:36:08 AM »
I feel like our kids give us unexpected gifts everyday, we just need to be more aware of them.

Absolutely this. I think the distractions of Life blind us to it unfortunately. I'm challenging myself to try and not overlook these instances...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 09:39:28 AM »
Crazy what happens when you take away all the technology and you are just left with the humans.  You realize there is so much more to life.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 09:47:27 AM »
Awesome post!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
This is a beautiful post. You clearly care about your kids a lot and it's so great to hear that you were able to have such a personal moment with one of them. It's so refreshing to see a parent actually care about what their children have to say and I'm happy that you both got to share that moment together.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »
Awesome post!

This is a beautiful post. You clearly care about your kids a lot and it's so great to hear that you were able to have such a personal moment with one of them. It's so refreshing to see a parent actually care about what their children have to say and I'm happy that you both got to share that moment together.

Appreciate the sentiment fellas   :tup 

Crazy what happens when you take away all the technology and you are just left with the humans.  You realize there is so much more to life.

It really felt like a 'more to life' type experience. I can't explain how such a simple thing like walking and talking with my son like that did for my clarity. What's sad is that now....merely two work days into the week....my mind is full of all the clutter that gets in the way of those realizations being more constant and present.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 01:43:40 PM »
Great post, Gary!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 04:48:02 PM »
I just was over my brother's house and played with my 4 year old nephew and as I was driving back home I realized I should cherish those moments.

Fantastic post Gary.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 05:24:07 AM »
Great post,  Gary. I know that eventually I'll start to have more meaningful discussions with my daughter.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 08:45:46 AM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 09:05:35 AM »
Awesome, Gary!

I've had a few of these moments before, and like you I craved more. I found out, though, that forcing (not really the right word) more of these situations was counterproductive to actually getting them. In the end, I let the kids know that I was there for them, anytime, anywhere and simply cherished them when I got 'em. Don't beat yourself up too much for "not being attentive enough". I think you're doing a marvelous job!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 09:21:54 AM »
I've had a few of these moments before, and like you I craved more. I found out, though, that forcing (not really the right word) more of these situations was counterproductive to actually getting them. In the end, I let the kids know that I was there for them, anytime, anywhere and simply cherished them when I got 'em. Don't beat yourself up too much for "not being attentive enough". I think you're doing a marvelous job!

Yeah...totally get that. The unexpected aspect of that was the 'magic' of it all. It'd totally be lost if I were to mandate that I walk with each one of my sons once a month or something like that because then it'd just become 'routine'. I let him know at the end of the night that I had a great time with him...and that I was happy the power went out because that let me spend that time with him. I'll just hope for more moments like that with all of them.

And thanks for the compliment on the parenting Gregg.....being that you're a great Dad yourself I'm guessing you've shared the thought that I get every now and then that I could be doing more...or could be 'better'. but, I'll just keep doing what I can do and hope I don't mess them up too much  :lol   Thankfully their  Mom is incredible so she's a great safety net!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 10:11:32 AM »
Devoted Father Thread aka DTF!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 10:38:34 AM »
*DFT
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 11:13:47 AM »
I'm guessing you've shared the thought that I get every now and then that I could be doing more...or could be 'better'. but, I'll just keep doing what I can do and hope I don't mess them up too much  :lol

I have, in deed, but at the same time I've talked myself down. It's frightfully tempting to take undue credit (or blame) for the adults our kids become but in the end they find their own way and are responsible for their choices. All I can do is love them regardless.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 02:42:01 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 03:42:54 PM »
Don't drag me into your fiasco.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 03:44:36 PM »
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 03:45:24 PM »
If only you were trying too. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 03:46:58 PM »
If only you were trying too. :lol

Dude, it's an um...unexpected gift!

:neverusethis:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 03:49:16 PM »
 :facepalm: :lol