Author Topic: Brass Sections in bands  (Read 2824 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Brass Sections in bands
« on: June 24, 2016, 10:53:54 AM »
Why don't bands do this anymore? I mean they probably do, but I guess what I'm saying is why isn't it more popular? I mean in the 60s and 70s they were HUGE with Chicago and Earth Wind & Fire... I mean there's NOTHING like hearing those brass sounds supplementing the rest of the band and the vocals. I LOVE it so much. Even in early 80s pop like Genesis (who used EWF's brass section in Paperlate and No Reply at All) the song wouldn't be the song without them.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Brass Sections in bands
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 11:00:20 AM »
I don't see it much in pop/rock music anymore.

Snarky Puppy usually includes some brass.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »
Probably the same reason famous pop artists don't have big mustaches anymore. Things change.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 11:58:02 AM »
Sufjan Stevens is probably my favourite user of brass instrumentation working today.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 12:20:52 PM »
The Reign Of Kindo has some great brass in some of their songs, mostly jazzy and loungy, I bet you'd love it. Check out Romancing A Stranger from their album 'Play With Fire', meant to send it in your roulette aswell but I got kicked :P

The brass here is not nearly as present as Chicago from what I've heard, but they definitely have some cool neoclassical stuff going in.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 12:38:48 PM »
I used to (well still do, but hardly listen anymore) like ska music.  The brass sections were always a huge part of the music and inspired me to play trombone and sax when I was young.

It's actually part of the reason why I like symphonic metal so much because sometimes they get some brass in there too (at least on the album).  Same with Score and the guy playing the French horn.  I think it's awesome.  Also Epica's Retrospect concert has a brass section in the orchestra.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 01:38:48 PM »
Yeah same here in regards to ska. I never really got into it but I like whatever I hear when it comes to ska.

Obviously artists like Thank You Scientist have brass in them, but I'm talking about brass sections. Like when I saw Earth Wind and Fire live it looked like a mini big band concert with all those brass instruments. It was awesome.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »
Not too many now.  TOP is one still and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones is another I can think of.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 01:46:05 PM »
maybe we can curb discussion of these bands until AFTER the splent roulette is over?  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 01:50:38 PM »
but to the point of the thread.  I think it's probably a combination of it just lost fashion, maybe players of those instruments tend to gravitate more to jazz and/or classical outlets for their talents, and I'm guessing the introduction of electronic keyboards and especially synths in the 80s covered that portion of the sound spectrum a bit (and cheaper).
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 01:53:56 PM »
I just don't think a lot of those types of music are as popular anymore. 

You don't hear a band like the Mighty Mighty Bosstones making the top hits list anymore.  I saw them once before back in maybe 2001 and they were AWESOME live.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 01:58:35 PM »
maybe we can curb discussion of these bands until AFTER the splent roulette is over?  :lol

:lol

I just don't think a lot of those types of music are as popular anymore. 

You don't hear a band like the Mighty Mighty Bosstones making the top hits list anymore.  I saw them once before back in maybe 2001 and they were AWESOME live.

Yeah, I saw them a few times.  Really fun live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 04:02:53 PM »
The Dear Hunter
Mother Falcon
Typhoon
The Family Crest
Sufjan Stevens
Do Make Say Think
Emanuel and the Fear
Hotel of the Laughing Tree
*Shels
Brice Plays Drums
The Polyphonic Spree
Revere
Timbre
Margot and the Nuclear So and So's
Capital Cities
Cloud Cult

(RIP's)
Anathallo
Jared Micah & Hats
The Most Serene Republic
Forest Park
The River Empires

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 04:22:09 PM »
Do they all have a brass section that are in the band?  That's what Splent is saying.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 08:31:31 PM »
they all use Brass instruments. I mean if you are referring to an actual assortment of Brass players like Chicago? it depends on the song, albums, etc.

Most of them also use strings prominently. I like to call what they do Chamber (or Baroque) Pop/Rock/Folk etc, but part of that includes Horns or Brass instruments at times.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 06:09:41 PM »
they all use Brass instruments. I mean if you are referring to an actual assortment of Brass players like Chicago? it depends on the song, albums, etc.

Most of them also use strings prominently. I like to call what they do Chamber (or Baroque) Pop/Rock/Folk etc, but part of that includes Horns or Brass instruments at times.

I'm talking about like a larger brass section, like Chicago or Earth Wind and Fire... I can't think of any more off the top of my head

Online The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 06:20:56 PM »
Anything from Big Big Train after David Longdon joined the band. Beautiful brass (and string) arrangements and accompaniments.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »
Blood Sweat & Tears also had a full-time horn section.  They were on Columbia, same label as Chicago, and produced by the same guy, James William Guercio.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 11:25:29 AM »
Blood Sweat & Tears also had a full-time horn section.  They were on Columbia, same label as Chicago, and produced by the same guy, James William Guercio.
That was a good band.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 11:34:56 AM »
Yeah, they were.  They embraced the full-on jazz and blues a bit more than Chicago did.  Chicago's stated goal was always "pop music with horns" whereas BS&T clearly had no problem playing "real jazz" on their albums.  Back when you could still do that kind of thing, of course.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 11:44:59 AM »

I'm talking about like a larger brass section, like Chicago or Earth Wind and Fire... I can't think of any more off the top of my head

I guess you may be splitting hairs. How do you quantify "larger brass section" ...I mean I can definitely say there are many songs from those Chamber bands that feature horns, whether they be 1, 2 or 10.

I used to call Anathallo, College Rock with Trombones, and frankly, the trombones were rather prominent in their sound.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 07:17:45 AM »
I think he is talking about bands that have the brass section as an integral part of the band, all the time, consistently, like Chicago and Earth, Wind, & Fire did. 

Not bands that occasionally use brass players on some songs, depending on the album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 07:19:44 AM »
I have a friend who is heavily into Ska and whenever I go round his house and he is listening to some ska - every band sounds the same to me.

Especially if it's Ska Punk. He himself is in a ska punk band with nine members - three of whom play brass and yeah. They sound exactly as you'd imagine.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 07:23:34 AM »
Anything from Big Big Train after David Longdon joined the band. Beautiful brass (and string) arrangements and accompaniments.

-Marc.

The brass sound of BBT adds a stately and solemn touch to the band's sound.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 08:06:35 AM »
I have a friend who is heavily into Ska and whenever I go round his house and he is listening to some ska - every band sounds the same to me.

Especially if it's Ska Punk. He himself is in a ska punk band with nine members - three of whom play brass and yeah. They sound exactly as you'd imagine.
I kind of agree.  I mean, I like ska, kind of, but all of the bands sound the same to me, too.  So I got to where I just don't care. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 08:24:24 AM »
Yeah I'm not saying it's bad as it must be a task to write for nine musicians and not sound like a total clusterfruitcake.

It's just not what i'd choose to listen to.

:)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 09:33:52 AM »
I honestly thought ska music died like 15 years ago

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 12:00:42 PM »
Nothing dies in music.  It just gets less popular.

But everything that was ever popular still has its niche fans/practitioners.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 12:08:45 PM »
Well sure, I know some of the ska bands I used to love are still around (I saw Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake a year and a half ago for example) but I don't know or heard of any new ska bands which is why when kotowboy mentioned his fans have a ska band I was a bit surprised.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 04:47:19 PM »
I generally dislike brass in my rock. Even the occasional sax solo is usually a turn off for me. Not always, just most often.

I honestly thought ska music died like 15 years ago

But everything that was ever popular...

Ska was popular?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhAJm3cHq2M&list=RDlhAJm3cHq2M

I am not big on brass in bands. It can be great.

I LOVE the sax solo on this song.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 11:31:59 AM »
Ska was popular?
It was never HUGE, but yeah, it was popular for a while in the 90s.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 11:43:45 AM »
Ska was popular?

Yea, it was never big but a couple bands that I mentioned previously in this thread actually had some radio hits.

And this thread reminded me that Less Than Jake (one of my favorite ska/punk bands growing up) is on this years warped tour so I just picked up a ticket for it since it's a sunday around the corner from me.  Might as well enjoy it (and the ticket was free).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »

This thread is now about my dick, apparently.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 02:00:49 PM »
 :lol