Poll

Vote for the song that you want to eliminate!

The Wicker Man
1 (4.2%)
Ghost of the Navigator
0 (0%)
Brave New World
1 (4.2%)
Blood Brothers
4 (16.7%)
Dream of Mirrors
2 (8.3%)
The Nomad
7 (29.2%)
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: June 26, 2016, 12:05:50 AM

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Survivor 2016 - Brave New World - Round 4  (Read 1202 times)

Offline 425

Iron Maiden Survivor 2016 - Brave New World - Round 4
« on: June 24, 2016, 12:05:50 AM »
Round 3 Results:

Brave New World - 1 vote - 4.3%
The Mercenary - 17 votes - 73.9%
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate - 12 votes - 21.7%

Eliminated:

8. The Mercenary
9. The Fallen Angel
10. Out of the Silent Planet

The Mercenary's out in a landslide.

Okay, I'm good with that. Now we're definitely down to a bunch of very strong songs. But the big trend for the ones I'm coming after next is that they have one-line repeated choruses. I'll go for any of Blood Brothers, Brave New World or The Wicker Man right now. Other things equal I'd probably go after Blood Brothers, but with Thin Line potentially in jeopardy I may hold back a while.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Outcrier

Re: Iron Maiden Survivor 2016 - Brave New World - Round 4
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 12:47:17 AM »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 01:01:52 AM »

Yup.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 01:02:44 AM »
The Nomad
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 01:35:46 AM »
Okay, I'm good with that. Now we're definitely down to a bunch of very strong songs. But the big trend for the ones I'm coming after next is that they have one-line repeated choruses.

I trust that you'll appreciate how the two longest songs of the next album, Dance of Death, one has a chorus repeated only twice, and the other has no chorus at all.

Actually I wish they would have went this route more times in recent years...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 02:47:42 AM »
Going to cast a controversial vote against the title track.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 04:34:02 AM »
Going to cast a controversial vote against the title track.

Well, it's a fairly standard song with a repetitive chorus, it's not that a vote against it sends me in "OMG PEOPLE TASTES ARE SO WEIRD" mode, I can see myself voting it in a round or two.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 05:40:31 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline 425

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 07:33:09 AM »
Okay, I'm good with that. Now we're definitely down to a bunch of very strong songs. But the big trend for the ones I'm coming after next is that they have one-line repeated choruses.

I trust that you'll appreciate how the two longest songs of the next album, Dance of Death, one has a chorus repeated only twice, and the other has no chorus at all.

Actually I wish they would have went this route more times in recent years...

I do appreciate that they knocked that approach to chorus writing off in recent years. DoD was definitely an improvement over BNW as it only has one song of "Song title! Song title! Song title! Song title!" and a couple others that repeat one line as the chorus, one of which is Paschendale in which it is not at all annoying.

It kinda stuck around on AMOLAD; The Longest Day should be 2 minute shorter than it is. But For The Greater Good of God is the rare song where I actually think the "Song title! Song title! Song title!" chorus works. Then they did it exactly once more: on the first track of TFF ("The Final Frontier! The Final Frontier! The Final Frontier! The Final Frontier!") and then kicked it to the curb, hopefully for good.

But yeah, it's a serious fault that BNW has. Out of 10 songs, five have choruses that get old for me by the end of the song. It's a big part of why I don't rate BNW as highly as I do AMOLAD and TFF. The songwriting on BNW is some of their best, except for the chorus repetition part, which is enough to tank it slightly in my eyes. Even just cutting half the repetitions on some of the songs would help—you could easily do that on Blood Brothers, The Mercenary and The Fallen Angel. Maybe Brave New World, too: "A brave new world, in a brave new world, in a brave new world, a brave new world." And toss the "Thy will be done... Burn on the sun" back into The Wicker Man and that improves. Unfortunately, they didn't do those things, and it feels like for some of those songs, particularly Brave New World and The Mercenary, they get some momentum going and then sit on one or two lines for entirely too long.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 07:41:34 AM »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 08:43:38 AM »
I got no problem with the repeated choruses.  I wanna hear the chorus of Wicker Man like 4000 more times in that song.  But I get that's not everybody's boat.

This is tough, as I don't really think any of the remaining songs is particularly weak.  Gonna go with Nomad, as I think it's distinctive but doesn't quite get me amped as some of the others.

Yo, Thin Line is an awesome song IMO.  Team Thin Line.  It's kind of unusual for a Maiden song and that's why I dig it.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 08:45:56 AM »
Yea, Thin Line is a fantastic song.  Very different for IM.  Granted, I'd vote for it next, BUT for me, there is a huge difference in quality of songs from whats been eliminated PLUS Nomad vs what would be left.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 10:08:26 AM »
Blood Brothers

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 10:38:28 AM »
Voting Thin Line to save The Nomad.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 02:57:40 PM »
Blood Brothers. Generic Maiden song crafted solely for the big, giant live singalong.

Nomad is awesome. Its musical style is perfectly tailored to its subject matter. I don't think Maiden does that often enough, and when they do they do it very well. Reminds me of To Tame a Land in that regard.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 03:05:23 PM »
Blood Brothers. Generic Maiden song crafted solely for the big, giant live singalong.

Nomad is awesome. Its musical style is perfectly tailored to its subject matter. I don't think Maiden does that often enough, and when they do they do it very well. Reminds me of To Tame a Land in that regard.
I feel bad for voting for it. But I did it just to try to save The Thin Line. There are worse songs than those two left IMO
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 03:10:02 PM »

This.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 05:00:17 PM »

This.

I can totally agree with the music matching the subject.  Same with The Clansman, but I just felt like the Nomad was just not that good as a song overall.  I really do enjoy the instrumental section though.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 06:17:21 PM »
I got no problem with the repeated choruses.  I wanna hear the chorus of Wicker Man like 4000 more times in that song.  But I get that's not everybody's boat.

This.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline 425

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 08:41:52 PM »
I'm fine with it in some cases, as I referenced earlier. I don't mind it at all in For the Greater Good of God, and I don't think it's a big issue in The Wicker Man or The Final Frontier either. But when so much of the song is the same melody and same words repeated a bunch of times it just reaches a point with me where it's like "okay, can we move on now?" But I guess I'm pretty sensitive to overly repeated choruses, particularly when they aren't that great in the first place—not just in Iron Maiden, I often find myself thinking "did we need the chorus this many times?"

Yet I really like The Angel and the Gambler.
And if spirit's a sign,