Author Topic: Prog Report Ranking – Dream Theater Albums  (Read 3035 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Prog Report Ranking – Dream Theater Albums
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2016, 04:44:18 PM »
I still will never understand how people can rank Octavarium so low. It takes what they tried to do with Falling Into Infinity (more accessible songs that maintain their basic elements) and did it better and then ended the album with what is arguably their best song in the title track (I think it is and most fans rank it at least top five).
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 06:35:05 PM »
I still will never understand how people can rank Octavarium so low. It takes what they tried to do with Falling Into Infinity (more accessible songs that maintain their basic elements) and did it better and then ended the album with what is arguably their best song in the title track (I think it is and most fans rank it at least top five).

Octavarium is a tough album to rank for me. Octavarium is one their best songs, but then you have songs like Never Enough, Panic Attack, and The Answer Lies Within, that bring the album down a few notches. TALW is a good song, but when you have great songs like These Walls, The Root Of All Evil, and Sacrificed Sons, it's tough to be considered above average. So, basically I understand why some people rank it low.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 07:47:36 PM »
I think the title track is one of the most overrated songs ever to be honest though the Razors Edge part is still pretty good. But yeah the album as a whole is probably one of my favorites. SS is EASILY my favorite song off that album though, will never understand the universal love for 8vm (song).
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 08:10:58 PM »
though the Razors Edge part is still pretty good

you highlighted the worst part of the song and still don't like it  :loser:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2016, 08:51:00 PM »

My ranking of Octavarium not that far from the bottom (it would be 9th probably if ranking all 13 albums) has more to do with how good many of their other albums are than it does about its quality.  Octavarium is a very good record, but many others are just better, IMO.

However, I am not sure I see the comparison to Falling into Infinity.  Just about every DT album has a couple songs that, international or not, sound like attempts at being accessible, so they aren't isolated in that regard.

Offline 425

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 01:57:46 AM »
Yes. You have a problem with that?

Of course I don't, but it surprises me. I've never heard anyone say that's their favourite.

It's my #2. I like it better than almost everything they've done, but IAW is untouchable.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 02:13:45 AM »
ADTOE is probably my favorite DT album, but I haven't really attempted to rank them in a pretty long time. I think it would be close with IaW aswell though.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2016, 11:51:56 AM »
IMO, FII would be a top 5 DT album if it had looked liked this:

New Millennium
You or Me
Peruvian Skies
Hollow Years
Raise the Knife
Hell's Kitchen
Lines in the Sand
Speak to Me
Eve
Trial of Tears

Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2016, 12:21:53 PM »
I'm doing a top 50 best albums right now, and 8VM is just a flawless album. I do not see anything wrong with and their title track, I consider to be one of the most greatest and pleasant to the ear. Razor's Edge is awesome, the solo, but I think the piece that takes the cake would either have to be "Someone Like Him" or "Full Circle."
Makes me smile everytime.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton