Author Topic: The Gentle Giant Discography  (Read 13535 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Gentle Giant Discography: Giant for a Day (1978)
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2016, 09:22:38 PM »
Welcome, Serah!  There's only one studio album left, but obviously you should feel free to go back over everything as often as you like.

I might get into some of the post-mortem collections and videos and stuff.

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
Re: The Gentle Giant Discography: Giant for a Day (1978)
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2016, 09:35:03 PM »
Thanks Orbert! Am looking forward to it!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
The Gentle Giant Discography: Civilian (1980)
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2016, 10:13:15 PM »
Civilian (1980)

Gary Green: Guitar
Kerry Minnear: Keyboards, Cocals
Derek Shulman: Vocals
Ray Shulman: Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Backing Vocals
John Weathers: Drums, Backing Vocals

----------

1 Convenience (Clean and Easy) (3:13)
2 All Through the Night (4:20)
3 Shadows on the Street (3:18)
4 Number One (4:38)
5 Underground (3:47)
6 I Am a Camera (3:32)
7 Inside Out (5:51)
8 It's Not Imagination (4:03)

----------

Giant for A Day! did not sell as well as the band had hoped.  Gentle Giant's popularity -- more of a cult following, actually -- continued to grow, but very slowly.  Stymied by their continued inability to break into the mainstream, yet conceded to the reality that their brand of esoteric rock was simply never going to become popular, the band could think of no better course than to continue with their stripped-down approach to writing and instrumentation, and hope for a hit single.  They seemed to be making some inroads in the United States.  A hit single there could lead to album sales and increased exposure, and that could be all the break they needed.  After ten years and as many studio albums, they were still looking for that break.

Derek Shulman had effectively become the band's manager.  He convinced the band to move to Los Angeles to get a better feel for what it was that they were trying to do.  1979 was the first year of the band's existence in which they did not release an album.  After the move and subsequent acclimation period, they spent five months writing what would become Civilian, released in February of 1980.  This was their last shot.  It was truly do or die for them at this point.

I like this album a lot.  Certainly the most of the three later, vocals-guitar-keys-bass-drums albums, and more than many of the earlier albums.  It is consistently clean and tight, yet overall hard-hitting throughout.  Some of the Gentle Giant of olde was back, and the feeling of desperation in the band translated into an immediacy and intensity not felt on a Gentle Giant album in quite some time.

Civilian is not a concept album per se, but as always, the songs reflect a lot of what the guys were experiencing and thinking about at the time.  Convenience (Clean and Easy) is a direct commentary on American consumerism, the mentality and culture which promotes excess and waste.  Its frenetic beat conveys the fast pace of life in Los Angeles in the late 70's.

All Through the Night is another rocker, but of the slow, driving type.  The theme is the drudgery of working all night just to pay the bills.  I love the main guitar riff.

After the opening one-two punch, Shadows on the Street slows things down.  You guessed it; it's the mellow Kerry piece.  The ubiquitous keyboard riff is like a major-keyed version of the "Free Hand" riff.  I remember playing this album in the car with my son one time, and he saw the title and said it sounded scary.  "Shadows on the Street" could be scary.  But no.  It's a quiet, reflective tune, evoking an empty street at 3 in the morning, and the shadows from the streetlights, high and far away on every corner.

Number One closes the original Side One of the album with another rocker.  The band members have widely varying feelings about this album, having all gone through upheaval and having dealt with it to varying degrees of success.  John Weathers considers it a strong album, however, and this is one of his favorite tracks.  And it shows; his performance on this song is great, and keeps it driving.

I turned the record over, and when it got to the chorus of Underground, I realized that I'd heard the song before.  But it was an almost deja-vu feeling.  I realized that I was standing in my bedroom in my parents house, and the last time I'd heard this song, I was standing in almost the exact same place a year before, listening to the same stereo.  But during that year, I'd graduated from high school, gone off to "summer camp" (ask me about it some time), dropped out, returned home, started at Michigan State that fall, and dropped out in the spring.  I first listened to this album in early 1981.  I was practically a different person when it had come out in 1980, when the local radio station had played this song as some kind of thing featuring new music.  The boys had done it!  Someone played one of their songs on the radio, and a year later, someone out there listening recognized it.  Unfortunately, me buying all of Gentle Giant's albums between 1978 and 1981 did not save the band.  In fact, they had already broken up by the the time I bought this album.

Okay, here's the problem with I Am a Camera, and it has nothing to do with the song itself.  Well, it kinda does.  Let's back up.  My favorite band (of all time!) Yes had broken up, but then they surprisingly got back together, replacing the irreplaceable Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman with... The Buggles.  You know, "Video Killed the Radio Star"?  Anyway, the new Yes released an album called Drama which was actually really good, but my least favorite song on that album is easily "Into the Lens" because of its ridiculous refrain "I am camera, I am a camera, camera camera".  So I was kinda sick of that phrase, and here's another song likely written about the same time and recorded about the same time and it's called "I am a Camera".  I do kinda like this song, but it also bugs me.

Inside Out is another slow driver.  I get what they were going for with this one, and the atmosphere is cool and the harmonies are great, but it never quite works for me.  Probably because it too has a silly refrain "Do I need lifting?"  Seriously, how can any teenaged boy say the words "Do I need lifting?" with a straight face?

It's Not Imagination is, as always, the rocker to close out the album.  As the album opened with a song directly commenting on American life, so does it close.  No, it's not imagination.  Everything is about sex.  Sex appeals.  Sex makes things popular.  The thought of it, the images of it, everything about it.  We like sex.  It's everywhere.  It's not imagination.

The album closes with a very short track, the words "That's all there is".  Each word is taken from a different song and the four are spliced together.  "That's" is from "I am a Camera", "All" is from "All Through the Night", "There" is from "Heroes No More" (unreleased, included as a bonus track on some CDs), and "Is" is from "Inside Out".

----------

I know a lot of people don't like this album, but most Gentle Giant fans feel that they went out on a high note, or at least a relative high note.  They alienated a lot of their fans (which weren't particularly numerous to begin with) when they switched to the more streamlined approach starting with Interview, and the newer sound, simpler, more Punk, or New Wave, or American, or something, just didn't gain a lot of new fans.

Kerry was married now and had a wife and young daughter back in England who he couldn't wait to get back to.  Ray never really liked America and was also ready to go back.  Derek had felt that the move was necessary.  John was on board, and presumably Gary as well, as they both stayed in the area and continued to work in the music biz for years afterward.  But the writing was on the wall.  The new album was not the big break they had hoped for (sound familiar?).  It had been over 10 years, and they were Zero for Eleven (twelve if you count the live album, considered a classic now but not a great seller at the time).

Derek and Kerry met for lunch one day and found that each was considering what he was afraid to suggest to the other.  That it was time to end the great experiment which was Gentle Giant.  They agreed that it was the best thing, and announced it to the rest of the band.  This was the summer of 1980, only months after the release of Civilian.  Gentle Giant was over.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:32:12 AM by Orbert »

Offline Mladen

Re: The Gentle Giant Discography: Civilian (1980)
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2016, 04:16:56 AM »
This is what a band break-up album sounds like to me. Blandness, disinterest and awkwardness are all this album has to offer. I wish I could put more words into this post, but I guess I care about this album as much as the band did. It's truly not a memorable or interesting way to end the band. Not all groups can go out with a bang, though.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2016, 06:24:47 AM »
 We did all through the night from this album when I was in the tribute band, and it was always on my favorites. I wish that kept going, because there was  promise there. This is right around the time when Genesis started hitting the mainstream, after many years of more progressive style music, so I'm wondering if they had kept adding a couple more albums, if they would have eventually hit the main stream. Unfortunately, we will never now. Fortunately, Derek  remained in the music industry and eventually hubs to sign dream theater, so all ends well.

And I thought I was the only one who had that problem with I am a camera!
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »
Wow, so that's it?

Okay, I realize that much of it is my fault for letting this discography go on for so long.  I got super busy at work, plus...

You know what?  I'll save you the excuses.  I even kinda knew this would happen, and tried like hell to avoid it.  I tried not to lose enthusiasm for this discography write-up, but life had other ideas.  And honestly, the drop in quality after the peak period (which I consider the Free Hand, The Power and The Glory period) is incredible.  I still maintain that there is a lot of good music even on the later albums, and I'm honestly surprised that the final album is held in such contempt here.  I think it's a great album, and that they mustered one last time and went out with a bang.

Looking back over their entire catalog, I've come to the conclusion that I don't like Gentle Giant overall as much as I thought I did.  I absolutely fell in love with their live album Playing the Fool.  To this day, it is one of my favorite live albums.  The musical versatility is incredible.  From there, I of course picked up Free Hand, the tour from which Playing the Fool was taken.  I love that one, too.  But go too far back, and I find that Gentle Giant clearly valued experimentation and originality over accessibility.  A lot of it is kinda weird, and some of it really is just too weird even for me.  That's fine; it was actually their stated goal to try to broaden the definition of Pop Music.  It just seems to me more like the mission statement of a young, idealistic band with little idea how the real world works.  And of course, that's exactly what it was.  Once the reality set in and they found that they really did need to make their music more accessible if they hoped to sell albums in any numbers, they shifted gears, but it turned out that writing good pop music is not as easy as most musicians would like to believe.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2016, 07:31:02 PM »
Wow, so that's it?
Should've had email notifications for this thread, just now saw this update.

The last album left such a poor taste in my mouth that I'm not totally sure I want to listen to the followup, but I'll take your word for it that it's an improvement. I also enjoy the commentary to go along with the music.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mladen

« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2016, 06:31:06 AM »
Sorry, Orbert, but the responses to this album on this page perfectly mirror how nobody cared for Gentle Giant by the time Civilian came out. Who knows, maybe it is a fine album that deserves more attention, I would say the same thing for Giant for a day, but the fact of the matter is that the latter day Gentle Giant stuff will never gain appreciation, no matter how many more years pass.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2016, 07:45:38 AM »
I am not too familiar with their later stuff either, but I think, at least for the purpose of keeping the discussion flowing, I'm going to give it a listen right now. I always said I wanted to explore them further but it's so hard to go past the 70s material when it's so damn brilliant.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2016, 08:38:22 AM »
Sorry, Orbert, but the responses to this album on this page perfectly mirror how nobody cared for Gentle Giant by the time Civilian came out.

Good point.  I literally had to force myself to write the last entry, as I could think of half a dozen things I'd rather be doing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Gentle Giant Discography
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2021, 09:37:56 PM »
I just heard about this earlier today.

Gentle Giant release video for new Steven Wilson remix of Just The Same

Free Hand, my favorite Gentle Giant studio album and their most popular overall, is finally getting the Steven Wilson treatment.  He's already done Octopus and The Power and The Glory, which are also excellent, but Free Hand is the one that started it all for me.  To me, it's their Leftoverture or A Night at the Opera; the one where the band finally figured out how to channel everything that made them unique and special into something also accessible and even catchy.

The video itself, I'm not thrilled about, but it's pretty cool.  The cutout animation style kept reminding me of Terry Gilliam's animations for Monty Python's Flying Circus, but Gentle Giant are British, after all.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:07:50 PM by Orbert »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #151 on: May 03, 2021, 10:26:29 PM »
I own Octopus but I never picked up TPATG. I did see the announcement for free hand, and it is on my “first day buy” list.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mladen

« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2021, 07:42:23 AM »
Honestly, if Steven remixes Interview, I'll buy it right away. That's one underrated album right there.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2021, 04:09:41 AM »
I preordered Steven's remix for Free Hand on red vinyl. In anticipation, I put on Steven's remix of Octopus and my reissue of Acquiring The Taste. What a great band... I think, contrary to the popular opinion, I like Acquiring more than Octopus. Melodies are just a little stronger on that one. But both are fantastic albums. And Octopus has one of the few Gentle Giant "ballads" (that I know of), with Think Of Me With Kindness. Just a beautiful song that to me sounds more like Van der Graaf Generator than Gentle Giant.

I don't know all Gentle Giant albums yet as I always wanted to take my time with them. Whenever I approach an album by them I haven't heard yet, I usually listen to it a few dozen times at least before I move on to another one. I don't know Free Hand yet, so I'm looking forward to the reissue! Maybe until then I will listen to Three Friends, another GG album I don't know so well yet.
any rock can be made to roll