Author Topic: The Gentle Giant Discography  (Read 13606 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Gentle Giant Discography: In a Glass House (1973)
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2016, 04:23:04 PM »
In A Glass House is my favorite so far, Orbert. Although, I've really enjoyed all of the albums too.

Strangely, the CD ($8.39) was less than a digital purchase ($9.49) on Amazon.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »
They must pay some guy $1.10 to rip the CDs.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2016, 05:20:32 PM »
 :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2016, 08:40:42 PM »
They must pay some guy $1.10 to rip the CDs.
So that's what Tim 'Ripper' Owens is up to these days. Huh.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2016, 10:40:53 AM »
Finally listening to this. Oddly enough, it seems more accessible than the previous albums. The longer songs actually help, as they take more time to develop and leave more of an initial impression. It also "rocks" a little bit more. I'm going to guess that when current prog bands cite them as an influence, this is the album they're thinking of.

Great Marimba solo on The Runaway. Love their percussion use in general on this album.

Experience has a very catchy riff and as a whole vaguely reminds me of Larks era King Crimson.

Cool album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2016, 11:08:01 AM »
:tup

Also, fear not, there's another installment coming.  I've just been really busy lately.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »
Finally listening to this. Oddly enough, it seems more accessible than the previous albums. The longer songs actually help, as they take more time to develop and leave more of an initial impression. It also "rocks" a little bit more. I'm going to guess that when current prog bands cite them as an influence, this is the album they're thinking of.

Great Marimba solo on The Runaway. Love their percussion use in general on this album.

Experience has a very catchy riff and as a whole vaguely reminds me of Larks era King Crimson.

Cool album.

From here until Interview is considered the "Classic era", though I think it starts at Octopus, some will agree, but In A Glass House is definitely more "accessible" (for GG). Free Hand is also considered one of the Giant's more influential albums, but we'll get there.

Going through these albums is great, it's been so long for me. I know these songs yet they sound so fresh. Octopus blew me away, so many emotions throughout the album.

In A Glass House is definitely rocks a little more, but nonetheless amazing compositions, the title track might be my favorite. Ironically, though this one of the band's best albums, this one didn't click for me for a while, I was blown away by Octopus, Free Hand, and Acquiring The Taste, the albums I heard first, and I guess I couldn't handle it. Eventually I got into it but it's still not my favorite. But clearly it's one of the best prog albums ever made, along with most of their discography.

Are we going to be covering the live album "Live (Playing The Fool)"?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2016, 05:24:28 PM »
Yes, I plan to hit Playing the Fool.  I find it fascinating and discussion-worthy how much their arrangements change from the studio to the stage.

Unfortunately, this week has been hell, and now I'm taking a long weekend to go camping, so the next update will be next week.  I promise!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2016, 09:13:14 PM »
Yes, I plan to hit Playing the Fool.  I find it fascinating and discussion-worthy how much their arrangements change from the studio to the stage.

Unfortunately, this week has been hell, and now I'm taking a long weekend to go camping, so the next update will be next week.  I promise!

Many of our arrangments were off of PLaying the Fool.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
The Gentle Giant Discography: The Power and The Glory (1974)
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2016, 10:01:56 PM »
Concept albums were definitely a "thing" with prog bands.  It seemed to fit well with the idea that the music is more than just a collection of songs.  Gentle Giant's concept albums were of the truly conceptual type: there weren't many recurring musical motifs and the songs didn't flesh out a coherent narrative or story.  The songs themselves, however, fit a concept.

In this case, the concept was power, political power.  Over the course of eight songs, we meet a ruler who has every intention of using his power for the good of the people, and see how things do not always turn out the way we planned.

There is a book with the same title by British author Graham Greene, but while Derek Shulman knew of the novel, this album was not inspired by it.

Gentle Giant tried to capture a more immediate, direct feel for this album by trying to nail all the songs in one or two takes.  With most bands, that would necessitate reducing the complexity of the songs at least a little bit.  That is not the case here.  The songs do sound a bit more "live" than previous albums, but complex rhythms and the intricate interplay between parts, with instruments finishing each other's riffs and everything fitting together like pieces of a puzzle, are in full force as only Gentle Giant can do.

The Power and The Glory (1974)

Gary Green: Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals
Kerry Minnear: Hammond Organ, Piano, Minimoog, Clavinet, Electric Piano, Mellotron, Marimba, Vibraphone, Cello, Lead Vocals
Derek Shulman: Lead Vocals, Tenor Saxophone
Ray Shulman: Bass, Violin, Electric Violin, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals
John Weathers: Drums, Tamrourine, Sleigh Bells, Cymbals

----------

1 Proclamation (6:47)
2 So Sincere (3:51)
3 Aspirations (4:40)
4 Playing the Game (6:46)
5 Cogs in Cogs (3:07)
6 No God's a Man (4:27)
7 The Face (4:12)
8 Valedictory (3:21)

----------

The album opens with the ruler issuing his Proclamation.  The current situation is neither good nor bad, things can change or stay the same.  We must find strength in unity.  Musically, it's one of those songs that starts with a riff, a pattern, but you can't tell where the downbeat is until more instruments come in.

So Sincere takes that a bit further with a rhythm so odd that it's not obvious where the downbeat is even after the rest of the band and vocals have come in.  A complex tune, both in structure and arrangement, it's actually in 4/4.  Really!

Aspirations is the mellow Kerry piece, appearing a bit earlier on the album than has been the tradition of late, but that's because this is where the song fits lyrically.  One of my favorite Gentle Giant songs, this one is haunting and beautiful and completely driven by Kerry Minnear's work on the Wurlitzer electric piano.  He goes into a solo at the end that fades out far too quickly.  Lyrically, this song is from the viewpoint of the citizens, who have their hopes and dreams, and depend upon their leader to help make them a reality.

Playing the Game is an odd one for me. The longest track on the album (actually it's tied with the opening track, but the opening track features some sound effects that add to the track length), it's the most musically complex and goes through the most changes.  But for me it's ruined by the pentatonic main riff which reminds me too much of the stupid ditties that kids used to tease me with when I was growing up.  (Presumably most people will not have that issue.)  Conceptually, the king is starting to see how difficult his task truly is, and how in many ways it's a game which must be played.  There is opposition to face, strategy to employ, and it's important to stick to one's philosophy if one expects to win.

Cogs in Cogs is the fast-driving, hard-rocking song with the break where the instruments and vocals weave around and through each other, reminiscent of the various sized wheels in a great machine.  At barely three minutes, it is the shortest track on the album, but Gentle Giant at this intensity level is perhaps better appreciated in smaller doses.

No God's a Man of course turns the old adage on its head.  The message is the same, however, as our benevolent ruler is starting to see that he may not be up to the task entrusted to him.

With The Face, things are getting kinda bad.  But don't hide behind a face, don't try to minimize things.  To overcome, you must recognize the work that needs to be done, acknowledge the mistakes, own up to them, stay true to yourself.

Valedictory is like a reprise of "Proclamation" but with a heavier, driving beat.  These are tough times.  And yes, it's my fault and I'm sorry, but please believe me, I have always had the best interests of our nation at heart, and still believe that we can persevere.  There must be no change.  Things must stay the same.  (And that, of course, is the problem.  Thing cannot get better if you insist on not changing anything.)

"Valedictory" ends with the sound of a tape rewinding very quickly.  It is actually the entire album being played backwards.

----------

Some versions of the CD include the title track "The Power and The Glory" as a bonus track.  It actually was not written for the original album and doesn't fit into the concept.  It therefore isn't really a proper title track.  The suits insisted on something that they could release as a single, and none of the eight tracks here fit that bill.  Ray Shulman: "So we did three atrocious numbers. This song's the worst."

And when the suits heard it: "You've got it, lads!"

Gentle Giant's sound continued to streamline, with only the occassional saxophone or string parts adding a bit of color to the basic rock structure of vocals, guitar, keyboards, bass, and drums.  The band insist that they were not intentionally trying to dilute things, and the fact that the suits insisted that the band go back and write a single, because nothing they'd recorded fit that bill, would seem to support that.  Perhaps it was simply a natural evolution of the band.  This was their sixth album in four years.  Were they burning out already?  Or did their drive to recapture some creative energy unconsciously lead them to simplify things?

Either way, supporters of this album (of which there are many) point to it as both quintessential Gentle Giant and among the more accessible Gentle Giant albums.  That would seem to be a contradiction, but oddly enough, I can see both sides of it.  Even as they were stripping away the "weird" stuff (recorders, winds, and strings) their bread and butter has always been the intricate, meticulous interplay between the instruments, and they're still bringing it here.  Musically, this album has great flow.  I'm always surprised when "Valedictory" comes up because that means the album is almost over, then I remember how short Gentle Giant albums are.  But it's about quality, not quantity.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:48:39 PM by Orbert »

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: The Gentle Giant Discography: The Power and The Glory (1974)
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2016, 11:46:45 PM »
This is probably my favorite GG album. Everything on here is solid and enjoyable for me and I like the concept a lot.

We did Proclamation, Aspirations, Playing the Game, Cogs in Cogs, and Power and the Glory from this album. Power and the Glory is pretty straightforward but there are all these nuances that make it a lot more difficult to learn than you would think; especially the ending, which fades out on the record. I believe we created our own ending to it which was really hard to get together; we took the scale pattern and modulated the triplet phrase several times so it would fit but we got it. Cogs in Cogs is in my top 5 favorite songs, and is one of the songs that got me into GG when I was first discovering them.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2016, 07:34:47 AM »
I remember when you guys did "Proclamation" that, toward the end, you did the psychotic 32nd-note runs on the second keyboard.  I loved that, especially since Gentle Giant themselves didn't do that part live.  Also, a little odd because Kerry's only using one hand at the time, but that lick probably required a hell of a lot of attention.  If I'm not mistaken, didn't you also segue into "Valedictory" as they do on the live album?

I remember hearing one or two songs that I wasn't really familiar with.  "The Power and The Glory" must've been one of them, as I didn't know it at the time.  That song creates a quandary for me.  I have the CD with it as a bonus track, and I tend to rip CDs to my iPod and generally play albums straight through.  But I know the album ends with "Valedictory" and hearing another song after that, especially a somewhat weaker song and with different sound quality, kinduv ruins the experience, or at least ends it on a bad note.  I eventually just took it off of my iPod.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2016, 09:10:28 AM »
Yeah we segued into valedictory- we used the playing the fool track as a guide

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »
Listening now. I know I've heard this album before but honestly, none of it is familiar so far.

So Sincere is nuts  :omg:  :lol
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:31:06 AM by Podaar »

Online Mladen

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2016, 10:16:23 AM »
Proclamation and Playing the game are amazing.

I never really cared about the rest.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2016, 11:09:40 AM »
Listening now. I know I've heard this album before but honestly, none of it is familiar so far.

So Sincere is nuts  :omg:  :lol

True.  But just wait until we get to the live version.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2016, 11:12:56 AM »
I went through three back to back listens and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I'll purchase it like I did some of the others but if I do it will because I just have to have "So Sincere" in my rotation. It's just too perfect!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2016, 04:48:12 PM »
Some additional tidbits on The Power and The Glory, since I was in a hurry the other day and missed some stuff I meant to include.

With the previous album, In a Glass House, they wanted to prove to themselves that they could continue without their leader, Phil.  The suits weren't really worried about it.  Still, In a Glass House was meticulously crafted and they wanted it to be a truly excellent album.  Most would say that they succeeded.  With this album, the pressure was off a bit, so they chose a different direction entirely.  The idea was to capture the "live" feel of their music, since they all felt that their live performances were generally superior to their studio work.  They rehearsed a lot, then attempted to record all basic tracks live.  They would come back later and do vocals, overdubs, etc.

They found themselves getting very nervous once they started recording, however, since they'd never recorded live in the studio before.  They kept screwing up.  Minor things, mostly, but while these minor flaws can be forgiven when playing for an audience, they didn't want the imperfections on the studio record.  After trying all day to get some good basic tracks, and failing, they headed to the pub for a few drinks.  Then they came back to the studio.

Things went much better.  They had loosened up enough to play and let the music flow.  Actually, on "The Face", Ray ends his violin solo four bars early and you can hear him say "Oh no!" before scratching out a few more notes to fill the space.  They all thought it was so funny that they decided to keep it.

This approach also meant that most songs were more-or-less worked out ahead of time, rather than written "by the group" in the studio.  Ray and Kerry were already the primary writers, but it was becoming more obvious who wrote what.  If there's a lot of keyboard work, or strange vocal harmonies, it's probably Kerry.  If it's more straight-on rock and roll, it's probably Ray.

The album cover obviously is meant to resemble the King on a playing card.  The design is from an actual deck of cards they bought while on tour in Germany.  The original LP jackets were die-cut, with the corners rounded, so it would be more like an actual playing card.

Correction: Kerry Minnear plays a Wurlitzer electric piano, not a Rhodes.  I knew that.  I even had a Wurlitzer once; it was my first electric piano.  But somehow I got it into my head long ago that that was a Rhodes, and that's what I wrote.  I've corrected the original post.

And finally, if you have the means and opportunity, check out the 5.1 mixes by Steven Wilson.  He's done The Power and The Glory and Octopus so far, and they're both amazing, of course.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 11:36:29 AM by Orbert »

Offline Mosh

« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2016, 09:25:54 AM »
This is definitely one of the more accessible ones and really rocks at times. Love the Wurlitzer playing throughout the album.

Cogs In Cogs really stuck out to me on this.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2016, 10:43:21 AM »
When I first got the "Steven Wilson 5.1 Editions" I took the first opportunity to play the 5.1 mixes and crank them up.  They're glorious, as you would expect.  But I actually kinda forgot that these also come with a regular CD version, because the CD player in my car was hosed for years.  I now have a new stereo in my car, so I pulled out the CDs the other day and played both during my commute.

Oh, baby.  The clarity is what first jumps out.  Every note sounds so crisp, so clean.  After listening to these albums first on LP back in the 70's and 80's, then on somewhat cheaply produced CDs, hearing these albums like this is like hearing them for the first time.  This is the best that these albums have ever sounded.  If you're into Gentle Giant at all, check them out.  They're even priced very reasonably.

The Power and The Glory 5.1

Octopus 5.1

Steven has become the go-to guy in the industry for creating 5.1 remixes of classic prog albums, and he seems to have a backlog that he's working through, but the main thing is that he does albums that he likes.  I'm sure the money's nice, too, but to take it upon yourself to do this kind of thing, and do it so damned well requires a real passion for the music.  And it shows.  I have the ones he's done so far for Gentle Giant, Yes, and ELP, and I love them all.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2016, 10:51:18 AM »
Are there other must haves on CD by Gentle Giant with good remastering/bonus tracks, or am I better off looking for the original vinyls for every other album?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2016, 03:11:49 PM »
There's a CD with Free Hand and Interview together which is remastered.  I have this, and it sounds pretty good to me.  But all I had before that was the vinyl, and it's always hard to compare.  The CD has a brighter, cleaner sound, which is good, whilst the LPs have a warmer sound.  Experts agree that the "warmth" most people hear with vinyl is much more a function of the limited frequency range than of the analog nature of the medium.  There are those who insist that it's the fact that it's a lossless medium, however, so who knows?

I also have Playing the Fool and Civilian remastered, which is also very good.  The info is incorrect; this is actually a 2-CD package.

I got both of these packages years ago, when CD reissues of LPs were more of a thing, and I didn't have any GG on CD.  I don't know if either of these are must-haves, but they do sound good and they're good bargains.  They're also my favorites from the Gentle Giant catalog.

There's also a CD with Three Friends and Octopus remastered, but I haven't heard this.  Three Friends is very good, but I would probably skip this and go with the Steven Wilson 5.1 of Octopus.

I've read that someone put some 4.0 discs out there of Free Hand and Interview, probably DVD-A but I'm not sure.  I can't find anything about them via Google.  Supposedly these are from the original Quadrophonic mixes, so that would be interesting to hear.  But again, I can't find anything.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »
My reaction to listening to the last three albums as opposed to the earlier work is that it sounds almost like its a different band. The sound is so much slicker. Also the sense of adventure seems to be completely gone.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2016, 09:21:09 PM »
I wouldn't go that far, but I get your point.  They'd definitely dialed things back a bit by this point.  I think songs like "So Sincere" and "Cogs in Cogs" still show a lot of adventure, certainly a sense of doing things just to do them, since nobody else was doing it and perhaps even because nobody else was.  A lot of stuff on the early albums almost sounded to me like compositional exercises.  Throwing in the sax or trumpet or cello just because you've got guys who can play those instruments, and why not?  It's challenging music, adventurous for sure, but as much as I love it, I can't listen to it regularly.

I think that ultimately, every musician wants to be heard.  Many will talk a good talk about how they're doing exactly what they want and they don't care if it's popular (sound familiar?) but doing what you want doesn't do anyone any good if nobody hears your music.  You still have to have something people will buy.  Those early albums were amazing, and it was the 70's and labels often gave bands some time to prove themselves, find their formula, hit their stride, whatever you want to call it.  But at some point, they need to see something coming out of the money they've put into you.

I think of this period of Gentle Giant as more-or-less like the Leftoverture or Point of Know Return period of Kansas.  They started with a lot of different influences and different sounds to put together, and finding a way to create music that did all the amazing things they could do, yet somehow package it into songs that were accessible took a while.  I know, they said early on that that wasn't the goal.  But I don't know how long you can stick to that when you've been pouring yourself into your work and not building much of a following.  That following didn't come until they'd at least toned things down a bit.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2016, 09:52:54 PM »
I wouldn't go that far, but I get your point.  They'd definitely dialed things back a bit by this point.  I think songs like "So Sincere" and "Cogs in Cogs" still show a lot of adventure, certainly a sense of doing things just to do them, since nobody else was doing it and perhaps even because nobody else was.  A lot of stuff on the early albums almost sounded to me like compositional exercises.  Throwing in the sax or trumpet or cello just because you've got guys who can play those instruments, and why not?  It's challenging music, adventurous for sure, but as much as I love it, I can't listen to it regularly.

That seems to be something a lot of prog bands went through. They try a lot of things early in their career that are less about writing great songs and more about pushing boundaries and experimenting. Sometimes the result was good sometimes not. After awhile though it becomes more about crafting a really good song. Gentle Giant definitely seems to have reached that stage by this album.

Rush is another good example, the way Neil Peart says that Rush was born with Moving Pictures. I think that's the sort of thing he was referring to.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2016, 11:33:00 PM »
There's a CD with Free Hand and Interview together which is remastered.  I have this, and it sounds pretty good to me.  But all I had before that was the vinyl, and it's always hard to compare.  The CD has a brighter, cleaner sound, which is good, whilst the LPs have a warmer sound.  Experts agree that the "warmth" most people hear with vinyl is much more a function of the limited frequency range than of the analog nature of the medium.  There are those who insist that it's the fact that it's a lossless medium, however, so who knows?

I also have Playing the Fool and Civilian remastered, which is also very good.  The info is incorrect; this is actually a 2-CD package.

I got both of these packages years ago, when CD reissues of LPs were more of a thing, and I didn't have any GG on CD.  I don't know if either of these are must-haves, but they do sound good and they're good bargains.  They're also my favorites from the Gentle Giant catalog.

There's also a CD with Three Friends and Octopus remastered, but I haven't heard this.  Three Friends is very good, but I would probably skip this and go with the Steven Wilson 5.1 of Octopus.

I've read that someone put some 4.0 discs out there of Free Hand and Interview, probably DVD-A but I'm not sure.  I can't find anything about them via Google.  Supposedly these are from the original Quadrophonic mixes, so that would be interesting to hear.  But again, I can't find anything.
Cool. 5.1's will be a priority, not sure if I'll go out of my way for any others but would probably pick them up if I came across them at a record store.

RE vinyl and cds: aren't cds also a lossless format? I am no audiophile though so lossy vs lossless was never that important to me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2016, 07:25:54 AM »
Technically, CDs of anything that was originally mastered analog is not lossless.  At some point, a digital sampling is taken of a continuous waveform.  But the sampling rate is so high that the vast majority of experts say that no normal human can hear the difference.  It's lossless compared to mp3.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
The Gentle Giant Discography: Free Hand (1975)
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2016, 12:39:03 PM »
Gentle Giant had thus far spent their entire career with Vertigo Records.  As mentioned upthread, it was not uncommon in the 70's for labels to give bands a certain amount of leeway if they felt that they had the potential to develop into something big, often signing them to multi-album deals to give them the necessary time to hone their skills and develop a following.  As noted, Gentle Giant's sound had become "refined" (for lack of a better term) by this time and they had indeed built a following which grew with each successive album.  Apparently this progression was not enough for the suits at Vertigo, and Gentle Giant were also getting frustrated with the pressure to produce hit singles, which was never a goal in the first place as far as they were concerned.

Ultimately Gentle Giant and Vertigo parted ways.  The title track of their first album on Chrysalis Records celebrates their new-found freedom, while taking a few parting shots at their old label.

Free Hand (1975)

Gary Green: Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Descant Recorder, Vocals
Kerry Minnear: Piano, Hammond Organ, Clavinet, Synthesizers, Electric Piano, Harpsichord, Celesta, Glockenspiel, Vibraphone, Marimba, Tympani, Harp, Cello, Tenor Recorder, Vocals
Derek Shulman: Lead Vocals, Treble Recorder, Alto Saxophone
Ray Shulman: Bass, Electric Violin, Violin, Viola, Vocals
John Weathers: Drums, Tambourine, Triangle, Woodblock, Cowbell, Frame Drums, Percussion
----------

1 Just the Same (5:33)
2 On Reflection (5:43)
3 Free Hand (6:14)
4 Time to Kill (5:08)
5 His Last Voyage (6:26)
6 Talybont (2:43)
7 Mobile (5:03)

----------

Just the Same  The album opens with the sound of fingers snapping.  The rhythm is syncopated and bounces between the left and right channels, eventually joined by the keyboards, then guitar, then the rest of the band including vocals.  The meter at that point would seem to be a "relatively straight" 14/4 (4+4+4+2/4) but if you listen closely, the bass and drums are playing in 6/4 while the vocals, keyboards, and guitar are in 7/4.  Although Gentle Giant would continue to "refine" their sound – taking fewer and fewer excursions featuring unusual instrumentation – the rhythm is quite complex and punctuated by saxophones throughout the verses and break, just to let you know that they haven't completely abandoned their more esoteric side. 

On Reflection opens with an amazing four-part a capella vocal fugue in 15/4.  The second verse adds a different instrument each time the next voice comes in.  The harmonies are great, sounding like much more than the four parts actually present, thanks to a brilliant arrangement by Kerry Minnear putting his degree in composition to good use.  After a mellow break in 3/4, the fugue returns as an instrumental, this time with the drums coming in on the second "verse".  This one is a favorite of many, many Gentle Giant fans, and it's easy to hear why.  (Just wait 'til you hear the live version.)  The production here, as on the entire album, is great.  This is a truly amazing-sounding tune.

The title track, Free Hand, on the surface is about a man finally free from a torturous relationship, and to me that's all it was for a long time.  Then I learned more about the behind-the-scenes issues between the band and the suits, and it's easy to see it the other way as well.  Derek's harsh voice is perfect for conveying the venom directed toward the recipient of this declaration of independence.

Side Two of the original LP opens with the familiar sounds of a video game.  (Familiar, that is, to anyone who was around in the 70's.  The game is "Pong".)  The main riff of Time to Kill then enters quite abruptly, shaking us out of the malaise.  It returns during the bridge as a lead-in to another bout of GG-style vocal gymnastics.

His Last Voyage is the mellow song, composed of course by Kerry.  It contains one of my favorite guitar solos by Gary Green, and the middle section is a three-part vocal canon.  Another haunting, brilliantly arranged piece.

A rare instrumental, Talybont was originally composed for a Robin Hood movie, which is why the renaissance/medieval sound is even more obvious than on other Gentle Giant tunes (and probably why Gentle Giant was chosen to write the music in the first place).  The movie was never made.  While the rhythm is completely different, the notes in the melody for "Talybont" match the melody of "Just the Same".

Mobile is a rocker driven by Ray's violin riff.  I love the weird harmonies and vocal effects during the break, just before the guitar solo (which is accompanied only by percussion).  The song seemingly ends with the final chord struck, sustained, and allowed to fade all the way out, then there is a final drum roll to close the album.  One of my favorite "Gentle Giant stories" is of how they would play this song in concert, and the audience would wait in silence for that final drum roll – only then is the song actually over – before bursting into applause.

----------

In case you couldn't tell, this is my favorite Gentle Giant album.  Not quite coincidentally, it was also the first studio album of theirs that I heard.  But that is mostly because I was turned on to Gentle Giant via their amazing live album Playing the Fool, and all three songs from Side One are on that album.  So Carl, the guy who got me into Gentle Giant (and also my then-girlfriend's brother) suggested this album as the next one I should check out.

It was the perfect starting point.  The songs were accessible, but still had plenty to offer the budding proghead.  Odd rhythms and meters, great interplay between the instruments, excellent vocal arrangements, still plenty of esoteric instrumentation (I'm a sucker for any band that can rock a marimba or a violin solo), and a driving rock and roll backbeat to bring it all together.  This is the most consistent Gentle Giant album, the one I can listen to on Repeat, and have done so on multiple occassions.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: The Gentle Giant Discography: Free Hand (1975)
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2016, 12:42:33 AM »
Orbert, again my compliments on a great write-up!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2016, 07:43:17 AM »
Thanks!  This is the one I always tell people to start with, unless they have the time and resources to go through the entire catalog in order.  From here, you can easily go backward and see how things were crazier and really pushed the limits, but that can be a bit overwhelming for those not already acclimated to the Gentle Giant sound.  Also, moving forward, the band would continue to streamline (to the dismay of most hardcore fans), but it is a natural progression, not the abrupt change which many who have you believe.

To me, this is their Leftoverture, their Moving Pictures, the one where it all came together, the one I can listen to over and over.  Solid and ass-kicking all the way through.

Online Mladen

« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »
There are several Gentle Giant albums that I prefer to this one, but it's still very good. On reflection is a classic, and the last two songs are lovely as well. Reading Orbert's write-up made me realize I should use my weekend to go back to the album.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2016, 10:31:07 AM »
On Reflection is hands down my favorite GG track. You can see how people like Neal Morse were influenced by them from this track.

We did the first three or four tracks from this album... I know we were at least learning Time to Kill but I don't recall if we did it live or not. We did learn a few new tracks for our second gig at Shank Hall in Milwaukee, and I think this was it... although we did the version on Playing the Fool. We also had the music for His Last Voyage but never learned it, it was on the list of ones we were going to learn before we ultimately shelved the band (just not making any money, we were all sacrificing time and money and that was running out, the last straw was a prog festival that hired us but then the festival was cancelled).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2016, 01:46:42 PM »
I remember telling you that you guys should do "Mobile".  I love that song, and it would've made use of the violin as well.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2016, 11:48:43 PM »
This was a good one. Moving Pictures and Leftoverture are good comparisons. It has that similar sense of accessible music but still maintaining the complexity of their earlier work.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2016, 04:48:17 PM »
I'm leaving tomorrow for an extended road trip, and don't have time to properly research the next album, so I'll leave you with a few more tidbits regarding Free Hand.

Follow-up: These are definitely 4.0 mixes, and are on DVD-A.

In the early days of lesser-known bands getting their work released on CD, it was often hit-or-miss regarding the quality of the transfer.  The first CD of Free Hand was released by One Way Records and was, by all accounts, of very poor quality.  They actually ended up recalling the lot because of the quality issues.

The second One Way release was of much better sound quality, but was made from what was apparently a rough mix, quite far into the process, but not a finished master.  Everything's there, but there are some differences.  For example, there are vocal lines sung by Derek rather than Kerry, drums enter at a different point, etc.  But by far the worst offense is that the final drum roll at the end of "Mobile" is missing.

I have a copy of this "alternate" version of the album, and it is interesting as a look into the process, but really nothing more, as the vast majority of the album is the same.

Speaking of alternate versions, apparently CD pressings used a different version of the cover art:

The free hand is in a slightly different position.  Since I downloaded the "alternate mix" CD off the Internet, I thought for a while that the alternate mix was also the one with the alternate cover (which I've never actually seen), but no.  There just happen to be different versions of the cover art out there, and CDs made from an alternate master as well.

No one seems to know how One Way got ahold of the "non-master" that they did, or the different cover art.  The early days of CD were a strange and interesting time.