Author Topic: Ticketmaster Class Action Lawsuit  (Read 4661 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: Ticketmaster Class Action Lawsuit
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 04:29:52 PM »
I have 7. They are adding more it looks like, slowly but surely, but nothing that picques my interest in the slightest. The only ones that do are ones I can't go to (like Sabbath)... And those are all sold out now.

My hope is something really good pops up and doesn't sell out right away. But their concert selection thus far has been less than desirable and that surprises me not at all. I'll keep checking though, more than once a day.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2016, 04:37:52 PM »
DC has one of the best subway systems around and there's a station just under a mile from FedEX Field. I see the appeal to driving there, I'd need a lot of drugs and alcohol in me to sit through that show, but in that situation I'd just take a bottle and some other party supplies and buddy up to somebody already in the parking lot. No way I'd pay that much to park.

I was just talking about the DC system with one of my bosses. While it doesn't have the appeal of the NYC system, it's definitely cleaner. I heard that there are lights in the platform that blink when the train is coming. Pretty nifty.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2016, 05:53:32 PM »
Parking for NJ Devils games can be as much as the actual tickets sometimes :lol Thankfully there's easy public transportation putting you within a block or two of the arena.

Which is usually around 9 dollars  :lol  I love ripping on my devil fan friends since you can so easily get cheap tickets for Devils games whereas I can only see the Rangers for cheap (relatively) if they play in NJ.

Actually Coz this reminded me, check out https://www.parkwhiz.com/ I used this to park at the last Devil's game I went to (against the Rangers) and paid only 9 bucks and the lot was really close to the arena.  Maybe there is a lot close by that you can use.

:lol touche

I think the cheapest I've paid for tickets was $30 on groupon, which is about what parking goes for by the arena. I'm usually coming from my office in Jersey City anyway, so I'm always taking the PATH and Light Rail.

I went to one of the 2012 Eastern Conference Finals games against the Rangers, and the crowd was pretty evenly split between Devils and Rangers fans. We had to pay $250 for our seats, but the same seats at MSG were going for like twice that.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2016, 09:40:02 PM »
DC has one of the best subway systems around and there's a station just under a mile from FedEX Field. I see the appeal to driving there, I'd need a lot of drugs and alcohol in me to sit through that show, but in that situation I'd just take a bottle and some other party supplies and buddy up to somebody already in the parking lot. No way I'd pay that much to park.

I was just talking about the DC system with one of my bosses. While it doesn't have the appeal of the NYC system, it's definitely cleaner. I heard that there are lights in the platform that blink when the train is coming. Pretty nifty.
Great stations, with the added advantage that you don't smell like subway for the rest of the day. I thought it was a little pricey at the time, but y'all seemed to have hiked prices tremendously between my last two trips, so it's probably a was now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 05:50:59 AM »
Parking for NJ Devils games can be as much as the actual tickets sometimes :lol Thankfully there's easy public transportation putting you within a block or two of the arena.

Which is usually around 9 dollars  :lol  I love ripping on my devil fan friends since you can so easily get cheap tickets for Devils games whereas I can only see the Rangers for cheap (relatively) if they play in NJ.

Actually Coz this reminded me, check out https://www.parkwhiz.com/ I used this to park at the last Devil's game I went to (against the Rangers) and paid only 9 bucks and the lot was really close to the arena.  Maybe there is a lot close by that you can use.

:lol touche

I think the cheapest I've paid for tickets was $30 on groupon, which is about what parking goes for by the arena. I'm usually coming from my office in Jersey City anyway, so I'm always taking the PATH and Light Rail.

I went to one of the 2012 Eastern Conference Finals games against the Rangers, and the crowd was pretty evenly split between Devils and Rangers fans. We had to pay $250 for our seats, but the same seats at MSG were going for like twice that.

All of my friends are devil fans and obviously the Devils in my lifetime have been way better than the Rangers so my only real shot I have against them when arguing hockey is their non popularity so I use that a lot against them (although lately I havent needed to).  But Yea I bought first round playoff tickets between the two like 7 years ago and they were like 150 each compared to 300 for the games on the other side of the river.  It's crazy.  That's why you get such a large Ranger crowd at those games because it's the cheapest way to see the Rangers.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 06:58:00 AM »
I hope no one takes this personally, and it's not as if I work for them or anything (I don't) but I honestly don't get the hate for Ticketmaster.  They are FORCED to disclose that information, and they still operate in the least "market efficient" industry I can name (meaning, MOST tickets are vastly UNDERPRICED compared to the market, thus "Stubhub").   And yet we bitch.

Coz, you're the man to me (and I mean that) but I have to ask:  if they just said "Parking Pass: $52", is that better? 

Yeah, I get the notion that some of the stuff seems sketchy, and I know there are always stories about funny dealings (I suspect there are some here) but I don't think they're quite as bad as people (and artists) make out.   I really don't. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2016, 07:33:34 AM »
Then why do people and artists hate them so much?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2016, 08:03:52 AM »
I hope no one takes this personally, and it's not as if I work for them or anything (I don't) but I honestly don't get the hate for Ticketmaster.  They are FORCED to disclose that information, and they still operate in the least "market efficient" industry I can name (meaning, MOST tickets are vastly UNDERPRICED compared to the market, thus "Stubhub").   And yet we bitch.

Coz, you're the man to me (and I mean that) but I have to ask:  if they just said "Parking Pass: $52", is that better? 

Yeah, I get the notion that some of the stuff seems sketchy, and I know there are always stories about funny dealings (I suspect there are some here) but I don't think they're quite as bad as people (and artists) make out.   I really don't.

They are worse. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2016, 08:25:08 AM »
Coz, I'm afraid to ask, but how much were the tickets for the show?

I believe we got the $99 tix.

Actually Coz this reminded me, check out https://www.parkwhiz.com/

Closest ParkWhiz option is .9 mile walk from the stadium.

I decided to go ahead and get the tickets at FedEx Field from TM.  It angers me to have to give them any more business than necessary, but I also know that when we get to a new area we've never driven before (it's a couple hour drive from home), we get a little anxious, so I prefer to just have everything already settled and park as close as possible.  It ain't gonna break the bank.  Not today, at least.

Thanks, man.  I appreciate that.  The feeling is mutual.

Yes.

Currently they're saying "Parking is $40, but because we pretty much have a near monopoly on anything concert related, bend over bitch, because we're taking another $12 out of your ass on top of it."  It's almost like rubbing it in your face.  Tell me it's $52 without flaunting your fees and shit in my face and I'll be happier.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2016, 08:26:27 AM »
I'm with Stadler. Not once has anybody even asked what the lawsuit was about, or whether or not TM was actually guilty. Nobody likes them so the assumption is that they just got what was coming to them. My issue tends to be more with the industry which has remodeled itself to provide kickback opportunities to everyone. Also, TM now enjoys healthy competition. Do people feel less troubled paying the same exorbitant fees to AXS or some sports team's ticketing agency? The difference is that unlike all of the others, TM is actually offering up the best service now. AXS is a damn joke, and you still pay huge fees just to print your tickets at home.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2016, 08:27:54 AM »
I decided to go ahead and get the tickets at FedEx Field from TM.  It angers me to have to give them any more business than necessary, but I also know that when we get to a new area we've never driven before (it's a couple hour drive from home), we get a little anxious, so I prefer to just have everything already settled and park as close as possible.  It ain't gonna break the bank.  Not today, at least.

Makes total sense.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2016, 08:40:17 AM »
I'm with Stadler. Not once has anybody even asked what the lawsuit was about, or whether or not TM was actually guilty. Nobody likes them so the assumption is that they just got what was coming to them. My issue tends to be more with the industry which has remodeled itself to provide kickback opportunities to everyone. Also, TM now enjoys healthy competition. Do people feel less troubled paying the same exorbitant fees to AXS or some sports team's ticketing agency? The difference is that unlike all of the others, TM is actually offering up the best service now. AXS is a damn joke, and you still pay huge fees just to print your tickets at home.

It's funny Bart. Ticketmaster is actually the best alternative these days. They are the Official First Market vendor for most events.
Back in the day, if a show was sold out, you could find a Ticket "Broker" and pay more but if you wanted to go, you had to do it. And many times, I was happy for the option.
But these days, the teams are actually in partnerships with the secondary sellers. Like in Boston, Ace Ticket is a big player, but they are getting their tickets directly from the teams. I call total bullshit on that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
My biggest problem with TM isn't the fees.  They for a long time were poor at communicating their fees and overinflating I believe on the delivery fees too.  That shadiness bothers me, but still that is not what I dislike about TM.  It's that their system actually sucks for at the moment tickets go on sale for a big event often not finding tickets due to overload.  That bothers me more than anything else about TM.  Or that some events you can't pick your exact seat, you need to do best available.  That's kind of where I like stubhub better, you pay more a lot of the times but picking out your specific seat is something I find attractive.  Stubhub also has fees tacked on so it's not like there are better options for tickets out there besides going to the venue, so therefore TM is actually providing a convenience.   I'm very glad I don't have to wait in a line for hours in the rain to get a ticket, instead I bitch about waiting 20 minutes refreshing a website in my pajamas.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2016, 08:57:26 AM »
When Tool tickets went on sale last week we were rooting for TM to be the agency and happy when they were. In the past they had no reason to be any good. Now they do and they're significantly better. Last thing I wanted was for some Podunk arena in Little Rock to be it's own agency and have to deal with whatever backwoods ritual they had in mind, along with the site crashes from being overloaded. With AXS you just get stuck into a virtual waiting room where some random point between now and 30 minutes you'll get a message saying that no tickets are available.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2016, 08:58:11 AM »
   I'm very glad I don't have to wait in a line for hours in the rain to get a ticket, instead I bitch about waiting 20 minutes refreshing a website in my pajamas.

That's too funny. Back in the 80's we had great times hanging out in ticket lines. But it's sure as hell not something I'd rather do as an adult.
I love the Select Your Seat option on Ticketmaster. That is a great thing!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2016, 09:06:48 AM »
   I'm very glad I don't have to wait in a line for hours in the rain to get a ticket, instead I bitch about waiting 20 minutes refreshing a website in my pajamas.

That's too funny. Back in the 80's we had great times hanging out in ticket lines. But it's sure as hell not something I'd rather do as an adult.
One of the many things the youngsters wouldn't be able to appreciate. I met some really cool chicks camping out for tickets.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2016, 09:08:59 AM »
I pretty much do for hard to get beer now what you guys did for concert tickets back in the 80s, and I usually find a similar great sense of camaraderie/community while we're all waiting in line.

edit: and on topic, I sure do appreciate the ticket vouchers not showing up in my account until after all the worthwhile shows in my area were sold out for vouchers. I might end up going to see a GnR tribute band in the city because I doubt I'm going to be able to use these vouchers otherwise.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2016, 09:12:38 AM »

My opinion only? Because it's part and parcel with the whole "free" mentality that surrounds music.  Artists are bitter because the days of "$80 million, five record deals" are over (REM) and it's tough to get paid for what 20 years ago people were not just getting paid for but getting RICH for.    Fans are bitter because god forbid you have to pay more.   For the life of me, I don't know why fans haven't turned quicker on their ARTISTS for the gouging, because they are part and parcel with it too (I have one more use of "part and parcel" and it's... whoops, there it goes).   Remasters, charging $17.99 for a disk that cost 1.25 to make, simply because there is a 20-minute iPhone video of the "Making Of... Our Shitty New Album".   

Bottom line is this:  they COULD be charging you - and perhaps SHOULD be charging you - like an airplane does.   You want that front row seat? You pay $1,200 right out of the gate, and the fourth row seat is $550, and the eighth row seat is $475 and the 12th row is $425 and so on.    Think about it: forget about security for a second, but even BEFORE 9/11 why was there no "StubHub for Airline Tickets"?   Event ticketing is probably the least efficient industry in modern economics, and you the fan by and large get the benefit of that.  Not always, not every show, but even if you score tix to your favorite artists 5 out of 10 times you are WAYYYYYYYYY ahead of the game financially, even if it doesn't FEEL that way (to Coz's point about the $52, which I happen to - emotionally - agree with; just charge me the $52 and shut the fuck up). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2016, 09:15:23 AM »
One of the many things the youngsters wouldn't be able to appreciate. I met some really cool chicks camping out for tickets.

The best were the metal shows, where in line they'd be all sweaters and jeans and sneakers and shit and if you were lucky enough to meet up at the show they were all leather skirt and see-through black top with the bra underneath and the big hair and the heels...  or maybe the tight(er) jeans, and some of those fake chains and studded belts you'd get at the back of the local record store.

People knew how to "concert" in those days.   It was a PROCESS.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2016, 09:17:34 AM »

Many fond memories that I wouldn't trade for anything.

It always cool, because usually the wait list was set up by the people themselves that were there. It was almost always civil. It was only when the dudes from the record store actually showed up that things got fucked up.

What I distinctly remember is that we would meet the stupidest people while waiting.  And they said the dumbest things. I've often thought that it was like being on a Music Forum but it's live in real life! :lol

The best were the metal shows, where in line they'd be all sweaters and jeans and sneakers and shit and if you were lucky enough to meet up at the show they were all leather skirt and see-through black top with the bra underneath and the big hair and the heels...  or maybe the tight(er) jeans, and some of those fake chains and studded belts you'd get at the back of the local record store.

People knew how to "concert" in those days.   It was a PROCESS.

Yeah, Stadler. Sometimes it was like going to a concert. Someone would be blasting tunes, and there would be ample amounts of beers and  :hat  It was like going to two concerts!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2016, 09:39:30 AM »

My opinion only? Because it's part and parcel with the whole "free" mentality that surrounds music.  Artists are bitter because the days of "$80 million, five record deals" are over (REM) and it's tough to get paid for what 20 years ago people were not just getting paid for but getting RICH for.    Fans are bitter because god forbid you have to pay more.   For the life of me, I don't know why fans haven't turned quicker on their ARTISTS for the gouging, because they are part and parcel with it too (I have one more use of "part and parcel" and it's... whoops, there it goes).   Remasters, charging $17.99 for a disk that cost 1.25 to make, simply because there is a 20-minute iPhone video of the "Making Of... Our Shitty New Album".   

Bottom line is this:  they COULD be charging you - and perhaps SHOULD be charging you - like an airplane does.   You want that front row seat? You pay $1,200 right out of the gate, and the fourth row seat is $550, and the eighth row seat is $475 and the 12th row is $425 and so on.    Think about it: forget about security for a second, but even BEFORE 9/11 why was there no "StubHub for Airline Tickets"?   Event ticketing is probably the least efficient industry in modern economics, and you the fan by and large get the benefit of that.  Not always, not every show, but even if you score tix to your favorite artists 5 out of 10 times you are WAYYYYYYYYY ahead of the game financially, even if it doesn't FEEL that way (to Coz's point about the $52, which I happen to - emotionally - agree with; just charge me the $52 and shut the fuck up).
Those bands get to stay out of the fray, for now. They can sit back and let the fans dump all their hate onto TM while they exploit the exact same process. I remember when the Who toured a few years ago they had VIP packages named after the common precious metals plus another half dozen gemstones. I met some girls at the Phili show  who had bought sapphire or opal packages or some shit and were in the second section back, and didn't even get passes. Total ripoff. Yet it's TM's fault that nobody could get floor seats when they first went on sale.

As for me, I just learned how the game worked and exploited the system myself to great avail. That's probably part of the reason I don't dump on TM.

Some guy did a fantastic AMA about being scalper at another forum somewhere, and he blamed the entire scalping industry on the fact that tickets were shockingly undervalued. He thought the same as you about pricing the good seats higher, and he was just making that happen. Myself, I prefer the first come, first serve approach, and the bands have no choice but to [at least publicly] agree.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2016, 10:27:27 AM »

Great stations, with the added advantage that you don't smell like subway for the rest of the day. I thought it was a little pricey at the time, but y'all seemed to have hiked prices tremendously between my last two trips, so it's probably a was now.

I wasn't even aware of the subway cost here in NYC. When someone told me, I couldn't believe how expensive it is. I have a work ID that doubles as a metrocard so I don't pay. I really assumed it was still under $2.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2016, 10:57:56 AM »
Tickets available at your local Ticketron outlets!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
Hell, last time I heard the term Ticketron was probably around the last time I heard the name "Cellar Door".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2016, 10:59:29 AM »
 :metal

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2016, 11:01:11 AM »
Indeed.  There was just something very rock and roll about hearing "CELLAR DOOR PRODUCTIONS" on the radio.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2016, 11:22:29 AM »
Tickets available at your local Ticketron outlets!

Ah, the memories of getting your hand stamped with a number, drinking and sleeping in the mall parking lot only to wait in line for 4 hours to get your tickets.  I wouldn't have the stamina to do that anymore.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2016, 03:37:31 PM »
It appears I somehow ended up with 13 free ticket vouchers, each good for two tickets. I have no idea how that is possible, but they're all showing up. Unfortunately there is not a single show in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. I'd be happy to get tickets for anyone else who could use them if we can somehow figure out how to transfer them to you.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »
It appears I somehow ended up with 13 free ticket vouchers, each good for two tickets. I have no idea how that is possible, but they're all showing up. Unfortunately there is not a single show in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. I'd be happy to get tickets for anyone else who could use them if we can somehow figure out how to transfer them to you.

They are good till 2020.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2016, 11:10:58 PM »
No, I'm pretty sure that's just the discount codes. I thought they said vouchers are only good til next May. This whole thing is a fucking joke. There has been one concert on the list in Denver, it's some guy I've never heard of, and the vouchers immediately sold out. I guess I can keep checking the list for the next ten months, but it just feels like I'm being screwed around even more by these assholes. Meh.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.