Author Topic: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?  (Read 56963 times)

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2017, 08:21:20 AM »
This season has been a weird one, to me.

On the one hand, the individual performances of guys like Harden and Westbrook have been amazing. The amount of talent at the top of the league is maybe at an all-time high.

At the same time, there's this sense that the Warriors are unbeatable that makes it all seem kind of pointless. I think I'm especially grumpy because my favorite teams (Cavaliers, Hornets, Raptors) have all gone through stretches where they've been absolutely dreadful.

I'm hoping that everyone gets healthy and motivated in time for the playoffs. I'll be especially interested to see how the Clippers do once (if) they return to 100%.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2017, 08:35:36 AM »
This season has been a weird one, to me.

On the one hand, the individual performances of guys like Harden and Westbrook have been amazing. The amount of talent at the top of the league is maybe at an all-time high.

At the same time, there's this sense that the Warriors are unbeatable that makes it all seem kind of pointless. I think I'm especially grumpy because my favorite teams (Cavaliers, Hornets, Raptors) have all gone through stretches where they've been absolutely dreadful.

I'm hoping that everyone gets healthy and motivated in time for the playoffs. I'll be especially interested to see how the Clippers do once (if) they return to 100%.

The Dubs looked unbeatable last season too... remember their 73-9 record? Their problem then was size up front, and it is the still the same problem with them this year. Zaza is an upgrade from Bogut on both ends, but that doesn't mean much in the west. After Zaza there is Shaqtin' a fool MVP McGee?! Lol!  :lol No, the Dubs will still win a ton of games by the end of the season, but they will have a tough time getting pass big teams like the Grizzlies, Spurs, Clippers etc. This will be an interesting playoffs run for them for sure.

As for the Cavs, didn't they hit the same regular season wall around this time last season too? They miss JR more than people give him credit for, but I think they will be fine in the end too. The Raptors, while I liked them too, and they seem to play more mature this season, but I still don't see them beating the Cavs. Sorry. Strange as it might sound, I think the Celtics might actually have a shot at making the ECF.  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »
Yea, I think everything you're saying is right. I think that this season will be similar to last season where the Warriors are the odds-on favorite, but if they have an injury or someone goes crazy against them, anything can happen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2017, 06:07:50 PM »
Despite the Cavs current slump, I think Cleveland/Golden St again is all but a given. 

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2017, 10:56:54 PM »
Man oh man, we won our 17th game of the season! We didn't win #17 last season until Kobe's final game. Yay!  :biggrin:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2017, 06:30:50 AM »
I agree with TOX, at the begining of the season I was pretty excited but now it just seems to be the same thing for the 3rd consecutive year, Cavs vs Dubs even though I think the Spurs might have a chance.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2017, 08:29:03 AM »
My Wolves are hot and taking on a shorthanded Cleveland team with a ton of controversy surrounding it. Ripe for an upset this evening!

And regarding the Lebron v. Barkley thing -- Barkley is an ass, but he's right here. He kept it strictly basketball, and called it how he saw it. That's his job as an analyst. Lebron IS being a whiny idiot. He's a player. The team has opened its wallet to the owner's detriment to give him what he wants, and he still wants more. And the sad thing is, the owner now has no choice.

The Cavs sold their souls to Lebron to get a chance at a ring. But to be honest, they never should have signed Lebron as a FA from Miami. They already had Kyrie Irving, and if they didn't trade for Love, would have had Andrew Wiggins (thanks for that, Cavs). A pairing of Wiggins and Irving would have positioned Cleveland to be one of the best teams in the East, and most importantly, be financially flexible. But because of how things now have played out, yes, they have "The King," they have a title, but they have NO FUTURE. Nothing.

They are strapped because of the salary cap, have lengthy high salaries on marginal talent, and now their superstar, because he signs basically one-year deals (two with an option on the second year for the player), he has the Cavs at his mercy. They either do what he wants, or he threatens to walk. And like most situations, if a player has done something before (as in this case, leave), he'll do it again.

So enjoy that title, Cavs fans. Because your golden child is acting just like that -- a child. And while the team is good now, it won't be in a couple of years, and when Irving's contract is up, expect him to bolt because of all this.

Meanwhile, in Minnesota, the Wolves keep getting better and better and better. Been a huge fan since the inaugural season in 1989-1990. Favorite player was (and still is, even though he's been retired for years) Tony Campbell. Loved the pairing of TC, Pooh Richardson, and Ty Corbin. Then loved Garnett, Googs (fellow Long Islander) and Marbury. But with KAT, Wiggs, and Zach, man, those three...something special. And Thibs' defensive schemes are finally coming together.

We may not win tonight, but the claws are out.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2017, 05:15:47 PM »
Wow, so much wrong with that post. Where to begin...

And regarding the Lebron v. Barkley thing -- Barkley is an ass, but he's right here. He kept it strictly basketball, and called it how he saw it.

Incorrect. Calling someone is whiney is personal, especially in the context he framed it.

The Cavs sold their souls to Lebron to get a chance at a ring. But to be honest, they never should have signed Lebron as a FA from Miami. They already had Kyrie Irving, and if they didn't trade for Love, would have had Andrew Wiggins (thanks for that, Cavs). A pairing of Wiggins and Irving would have positioned Cleveland to be one of the best teams in the East, and most importantly, be financially flexible. But because of how things now have played out, yes, they have "The King," they have a title, but they have NO FUTURE. Nothing.

Um, what?  I am pretty sure most fans would trade the future for a single championship, especially when your city hasn't won a title since the 60s.  You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Irving and Wiggins might have eked into the playoffs in the East, but who knows?  And remember that they wouldn't have Love.  Or JR Smith.  Or Lebron.  They'd be lucky to win more than 35 games in the pathetic East.  Irving is a great number 2 NOW, but it took him time to learn to be a number 2 behind James.  Had James never went back to Cleveland, it's likely Irving would have been another Carmelo Anthony: a volume shooter who chucked it up all day and didn't win a lot of games.

They are strapped because of the salary cap, have lengthy high salaries on marginal talent, and now their superstar, because he signs basically one-year deals (two with an option on the second year for the player), he has the Cavs at his mercy. They either do what he wants, or he threatens to walk. And like most situations, if a player has done something before (as in this case, leave), he'll do it again.

I believe this is the main reason why some ex-players like Barkley are critical of James.  They seem how powerful he is and are annoyed that players didn't have that kind of power when they played.  James has changed the culture of the NBA, to where players have a lot of power now.  That is a good thing.

So enjoy that title, Cavs fans.

I am pretty sure they did. 

And while the team is good now, it won't be in a couple of years, and when Irving's contract is up, expect him to bolt because of all this.

I hope he does.  Go see what the worth of the Cavs was before James came back to Cleveland, and then go see what it is worth now.  Dan Gilbert can thank LeBron James, and LeBron James alone, for that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2017, 05:24:41 PM »
Kev, your LeBron love has blinded you to the point where you cannot even be objective.  Your point about Cleveland not likely amounting to anything in the near future had LeBron not come back is accurate.  But aside from that, your post is off on virtually everything.  No point in even going point-by-point because they are all so obviously wrong.  But especially this one:

And regarding the Lebron v. Barkley thing -- Barkley is an ass, but he's right here. He kept it strictly basketball, and called it how he saw it.

Incorrect. Calling someone is whiney is personal, especially in the context he framed it.

You reference "context," but then ignore it.  LeBron was whining about basketball.  So in context, that is a "strictly basketball" comment. 

And on and on we could go, but, again, not worth it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2017, 05:29:46 PM »
Let's be serious. Note that I didn't disagree with his comment about LeBron being an idiot, because I think LeBron is being an idiot about this whole thing right now.  I am not sure what he is hoping to accomplish going off like this, but he's normally not this petulant.

However, calling someone whiney is personal, regardless of what he was talking about.  Had LeBron been whining on the court, that would be one thing, but he wasn't.  And I am a huge fan of Barkley.  I am probably a bigger fan of Barkley than I am of LeBron.  I had no problem with Barkley's comments, even the personal one, because that is what Charles does.  That is why LeBron reacting the way he did was just odd.  He isn't going to win a war of words with Sir Charles.  No one ever does.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2017, 06:06:56 PM »
Seems you're ok to say that about Tom Brady Kev.

God I love ribbing you. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2017, 06:32:53 PM »
LOl, okay, but I am not on TV.  If I was on TV saying Brady, or any athlete, was whiney every time he whined to the officials, I would expect pushback at some point from that athlete.  And really, when you consider how much abuse James has taken over the years from the press - there isn't any other athlete in any team sport in America whose season every year will be considered a failure if his team doesn't win the championship - the fact that he has never really gone nuclear on a member of the media until now is pretty surprising.  It's unfortunate that Barkley was the one he finally went nuts on.

My guess is that James is frustrated right now because a) he sees that his team is struggling, and b) he sees how good the Warriors look.  For as much as James owns the Warriors nearly every time he plays them (look at his stats vs them the last few years), deep down he knows that from player 2- player 12, it is a total mismatch.  He basically played 13 games in the finals the last two years thinking, "I have to play out of my mind for us to even have a chance at winning," and he knows the same thing will happen this year again. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2017, 06:37:52 PM »
As much as I despise LeBron's actions, he's always been very professional to the media.  I think he's frustrated with the situation in Cleveland.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2017, 06:42:16 PM »
He's being a bitch. STFU!

Not you Kev! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2017, 07:10:10 PM »
 :lol

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2017, 09:14:09 AM »
I guess my take on all this is:

- Barkley is kind of an idiot, but he's a lovable idiot, and everything he said about James being a whiner is true

- James has been a huge drama queen these past three years. He's not a bad guy nor is he a dumb guy, but he's become super annoying.

- If the Cavs had banked their future on an Irving/Wiggins combo, I'm not sure it would've worked out so well. Neither guy has good advanced metrics or has shown the ability to influence winning without the help of a LeBron type. Who knows, I'm not saying that I know for sure. No one does. I just doubt they'd be contending for titles without a ridiculous supporting cast.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2017, 11:11:43 AM »
Dear Cavs,

Thanks for kicking our ass last night.

Wolves

>>>>Ouch, that was a pasting. As for the reply from you Kev, not much to really reply to. I'm sure Cleveland fans would make that choice again and again. But they'll pay for it, for sure. In regard to Wiggins-Irving, we'll never know, obviously, but that team would be much better positioned for the next decade than it is now. If Lebron leaves (and he might), or he retires in the next few years (he might), that team will be buried for the next decade at least. So many bad contracts.

I won't bother re-addressing the Barkley-Lebron thing. I think bosk took care of what I would have said myself.

Go Wolves!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2017, 05:24:27 AM »
I'm sure Cleveland fans would make that choice again and again. But they'll pay for it, for sure.

Truth is, almost any team would do that. The only team that has been able to stay a contender for long is the Spurs, every other team in the league has gone through ups and downs, rebuilding and champ runs because that how the NBA works.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2017, 08:17:32 AM »
Almost any team that isn't the Spurs or Warriors--two teams that have long-term vision and the knowhow and will to execute it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2017, 09:57:47 AM »
Almost any team that isn't the Spurs or Warriors--two teams that have long-term vision and the knowhow and will to execute it.

We'll see how that works out in a couple of years. Every analyst I've read has said that the Durant move will eventually hurt them since Curry, Klay and Draymond all have contracts that are a steal but will surely get max offers in the upcoming years and the Warriors will be challenged to make all of that fit.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #195 on: February 03, 2017, 10:13:16 AM »
You should read more analysts then.  :D  There are plenty who have written up reasons why those concerns are largely overblown and how, given how the Warriors front office runs, they should be just fine and be able to keep their core intact.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #196 on: February 03, 2017, 01:32:03 PM »
Warriors are dumping Varajao.  :(  I mean, it makes basketball sense.  He's just not that good a player.  But I liked him.  He always did what he was told and seemed to have a great attitude.  I was pulling for him to get a ring.  Oh well.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #197 on: February 03, 2017, 09:23:03 PM »
Warriors are dumping Varajao.  :(  I mean, it makes basketball sense.  He's just not that good a player.  But I liked him.  He always did what he was told and seemed to have a great attitude.  I was pulling for him to get a ring.  Oh well.

Didn't he help LBJ and the Cavs win their first title last June by playing for the Dubs?  :lol

Seriously, I thought the Cavs did actually give him a ring for his services last season. He was with the Cavs until Feb last season.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #198 on: February 04, 2017, 11:29:38 AM »
I'm sure there is a team out there in desperate need of a flopper, so Varajao won't be unemployed for long.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #199 on: February 04, 2017, 02:35:38 PM »

Didn't he help LBJ and the Cavs win their first title last June by playing for the Dubs?  :lol

Seriously, I thought the Cavs did actually give him a ring for his services last season. He was with the Cavs until Feb last season.

They offered, but he turned them down since he was with the Warriors the second half when they actually make the playoff run and won it.  I probably would have done the same.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2017, 07:13:16 PM »
I haven't watched the Knicks for over a month until tonight on ABC... man, I thought my Lakers suck on D... geez, the Knicks ain't even trying tonight! And without Irving, the Cavs ain't even trying to push things either, yet they are up by double digital effortlessly... not a good game to watch so far. :tdwn

EDIT: Congrats to LBJ for reaching 28,000pts.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:18:56 PM by Azyiu »
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2017, 03:01:04 PM »
EPIC Paul Pierce moment at the end of today's Celtics game!   :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2017, 08:27:54 PM »
Jabari Parker may have blew out his knee again.

It's tough being a Bucks fan.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline dparrott

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Azyiu

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2017, 07:01:41 AM »
Jabari Parker may have blew out his knee again.

It's tough being a Bucks fan.

This really sucks. I was pulling for the Bucks to make the playoffs and maybe even make some noise. They're not a contender yet, but they're a really fun bunch of young guys, and Giannis/Jabari are the main part of that.

LOL-bron James! https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/2/9/14572058/lebron-james-missed-dunks-video-highlights-cavaliers-thunder

Did he flop on his first missed dunk?!  :lol

Why the Cavaliers even played the Big Three last night is beyond me. I understand that the team can't just throw the season and win 45 games like some people are suggesting, but they're losing a ton of games anyway because their guys are playing such crazy minutes and not giving forth good effort, it seems. I think they should go ahead and rest the Big Three for a couple of games here.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2017, 08:39:49 PM »
Draymond Green got a triple-double with only 4 points. He has 4 pts, 12 rebs, 10 assists, 10 steals. Wow!  :corn
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #207 on: February 10, 2017, 08:49:35 PM »
Draymond Green got a triple-double @ Grizzlies tonight with only 4 points. He has 4 pts, 12 rebs, 10 assists, 10 steals. Wow!  :corn
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #208 on: February 10, 2017, 08:51:45 PM »
I meant to edit my last post, ended up "quoting" myself... Lol! How the hell do you delete your own message? Lol!  :lol  :facepalm:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #209 on: February 12, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
No judgement from me. Green deserves as much praise as possible for that performance! :biggrin: