Author Topic: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?  (Read 56955 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2016, 02:05:01 PM »
For the LeBron fans.

:'(
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2016, 02:10:29 PM »
Not really accurate.  But even if it was, so what?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2016, 02:12:08 PM »
I could care less. This is not my statement. Some are and I posted it.

Personally I would have loved to have Durant in Boston but I'm no dummy bosk1,  he made a smart decision.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2016, 08:35:21 PM »
Dwayne Wade is taking his talents to the Windy City

Offline j

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2016, 08:58:18 PM »

Can't believe the league denied the Chris Paul to the Lakers deal several years back, but not this. :lol

Why?

The Paul situation was a trade where the league owned one of the teams involved at the time.

The Durant situation is a FREE AGENT choosing where to sign.

Not even remotely close to being comparable.

That was not a serious comment.  But the element that is "comparable" is the effect on league parity and small vs big market teams.

Smart move by Durant and, honestly, the move 99% of us would've made in the same situation.

Thinking about it myself, I would not have gone to Golden State for the reasons I stated.  This team is already the best in the league as it is; forget about legacy or what the fans think, as a competitor I would not be content to join a championship team to (possibly) win a championship.  It would feel empty, the easy way out, and a reminder that I couldn't get it done any other way.  And that I preferred not to TRY any other way.

I honestly think Durant just loves playing basketball, and I've never questioned the notion that he values winning over money, glory, etc.  All I'm saying is that, as a competitor, I don't understand the mindset of this move from Durant's perspective.  From GS's side it is more relatable, though I still don't think I'd have personally made the move.

Durant's going to grow with the Warriors, but it's going to be a different kind of growth. I would assume that he will become a better defensive player and passer. He's going to learn how to move off the ball. The one area where he might take a step back, and I don't think this really matters all that much, is as an "alpha dog", so-to-speak. The days of him doing everything for his team are probably gone, at least on average. I'm sure there will be games where he has to completely take over, but it's not going to be necessary over the course of a full season, and so he might become a tad more specialized.

I mostly agree with this.  The disappointing part to me is that he hasn't really EVER been an "alpha dog" in his career, thanks to Westbrook's presence (and Harden for awhile).  The "too many cooks in the kitchen" phenomenon will manifest in GS as well, but differently I think.  I'd speculate that there won't be many issues with lack of chemistry or team dynamics like there are on a team with Westbrook, but there's still no way we see the Durant we might see on a team of his own, in terms of numbers or otherwise.  But maybe he really doesn't care and just wants to play some ball.

-J

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2016, 09:51:08 PM »
Dwayne Wade is taking his talents to the Windy City

I don't think it is such a great move for the Bulls at all....it is a puzzling move in my opinion...Wade+Rondo+Butler as a trio has the name recognition and looks good on paper...all 3 needs the ball to be effective....if you say they take turn initiating the offense, then you need the other 2 to space the floor...neither Wade nor Rondo shoots 3s...it now means Mirotic almost has to start at the 4 but then you have another weak defender on the floor....I don't think Rondo and Wade are good defenders anymore...and then you have the issue of style....I thought the Bulls wanted to get younger and Hoiberg wanted to install sort of a pace-and-space system....that goes out of the window now....
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2016, 08:06:32 AM »

Can't believe the league denied the Chris Paul to the Lakers deal several years back, but not this. :lol

Why?

The Paul situation was a trade where the league owned one of the teams involved at the time.

The Durant situation is a FREE AGENT choosing where to sign.

Not even remotely close to being comparable.

That was not a serious comment.  But the element that is "comparable" is the effect on league parity and small vs big market teams.

Smart move by Durant and, honestly, the move 99% of us would've made in the same situation.

Thinking about it myself, I would not have gone to Golden State for the reasons I stated.  This team is already the best in the league as it is; forget about legacy or what the fans think, as a competitor I would not be content to join a championship team to (possibly) win a championship.  It would feel empty, the easy way out, and a reminder that I couldn't get it done any other way.  And that I preferred not to TRY any other way.

I honestly think Durant just loves playing basketball, and I've never questioned the notion that he values winning over money, glory, etc.  All I'm saying is that, as a competitor, I don't understand the mindset of this move from Durant's perspective.  From GS's side it is more relatable, though I still don't think I'd have personally made the move.

Durant's going to grow with the Warriors, but it's going to be a different kind of growth. I would assume that he will become a better defensive player and passer. He's going to learn how to move off the ball. The one area where he might take a step back, and I don't think this really matters all that much, is as an "alpha dog", so-to-speak. The days of him doing everything for his team are probably gone, at least on average. I'm sure there will be games where he has to completely take over, but it's not going to be necessary over the course of a full season, and so he might become a tad more specialized.

I mostly agree with this.  The disappointing part to me is that he hasn't really EVER been an "alpha dog" in his career, thanks to Westbrook's presence (and Harden for awhile).  The "too many cooks in the kitchen" phenomenon will manifest in GS as well, but differently I think.  I'd speculate that there won't be many issues with lack of chemistry or team dynamics like there are on a team with Westbrook, but there's still no way we see the Durant we might see on a team of his own, in terms of numbers or otherwise.  But maybe he really doesn't care and just wants to play some ball.

-J

But what a lot of people don't recognize about what makes the Warriors unique is that their team philosophy doesn't really allow for an "alpha dog" mentality.  It isn't just that they have a lot of great players.  Kerr runs that team so that now matter how good a player is, that player is never thinking in terms of "me" when he is on the court.  It is always about team strategy.  That manifests itself in their unusual team numbers for assists.  It manifests itself in almost unparalleled ball movement.  It manifests itself in team defense.  It manifests itself in final plays of a game being drawn up for guys like Green, Barnes, Iguodala (i.e. NOT just Curry or Thompson) taking the game-winning shot.  It manifests itself in things like Kerr's surprise move at the beginning of the year two seasons ago to ask Iguodala to step down from his role as a starter and be the leader on the second squad to allow the team greater flexibility in rotating players--and in him not only accepting the role graciously, but blossoming into a team leader. 

That approach appeals to some players, especially those who can embrace the team philosophy.  I don't see it as Durant taking the "easy way out."  Just because he has a better shot at a title doesn't mean it's some sort of cop out.  This is a different kind of team, and one that will push him and force him to grow in different ways than if he were the alpha dog or one of two (or even three) stars on a team where the team is built around just feeding the ball to the stars.  Even if it only lasts a couple of years, I think Durant will look back on it as a great decision and a great time in his basketball career.  I really do.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2016, 01:05:50 PM »
At the end of crucial playoff games, though, Durant's presence gives Golden State a kind of second alpha-dog. When the threes weren't falling in the latter games of the Finals (particularly Game 7), it was all of a sudden like their offense had no other options. Durant is now a killer "other option" -- conveniently as one of the greatest scorers of all time.

So I get the team ball talk and I'm sure the Warriors in general will be beautiful to watch, but Durant will def have heavy value as an isolation scorer when the playoffs come... and he will be all the more dangerous because teams will not be able to double him very easily due to the presence of Steph and Klay.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2016, 01:09:03 PM »
Oh, absolutely.  I don't disagree with any of that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2016, 01:33:39 PM »
At the end of crucial playoff games, though, Durant's presence gives Golden State a kind of second alpha-dog. When the threes weren't falling in the latter games of the Finals (particularly Game 7), it was all of a sudden like their offense had no other options. Durant is now a killer "other option" -- conveniently as one of the greatest scorers of all time.

So I get the team ball talk and I'm sure the Warriors in general will be beautiful to watch, but Durant will def have heavy value as an isolation scorer when the playoffs come... and he will be all the more dangerous because teams will not be able to double him very easily due to the presence of Steph and Klay.

According to several NBA talking heads, the options were there for the taking, but the Warriors over-reliance on the 3 bit them in the ass.  The Cavs were almost daring them to make a few passes for an easy 2, but Golden St stubbornly wanted to win their win, via the 3.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2016, 01:55:44 PM »
^ Right, Kev -- I didn't mean to imply that there were literally no options, just that GS (and Curry in particular) did not want to take them. Maybe Curry was arrogantly wanting the highlight three or maybe he didn't feel as confident with his drive bc of the knee, who knows? But now they have a third go-to guy, so the likelihood that at least one of Durant, Curry, or Klay will be "on" when they need a basket in crucial playoff games is overwhelmingly high -- and Durant is better at the isolation 2 pointer, whether via jumpshot or drive, than even Klay or Steph, so it's going to make them so much more dangerous.

And heaven forbid if Ray Allen comes out of retirement as has been rumored. Can you imagine offense-only possessions with Allen/Klay/Curry/Durant?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2016, 02:03:42 PM »
I can't see them picking up Allen.  He just doesn't add anything that they don't already have better versions of, and they just don't have the salary cap space to add players they don't need. 

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2016, 08:24:22 AM »
It is official. Timmy retires... thanks for everything, and you sir made those Lakers / Spurs playoffs battles fun to watch! I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and the Spurs organization. Good luck the rest of your life!  :hefdaddy  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2016, 11:53:38 AM »
I'm sad about him retiring but on the other hand I think it was the right time. He did everything he could for his franchise and for the NBA and is without question one of the best players of all time. He should enjoy that now
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2016, 11:58:24 AM »
Apologies for the lengthy post.

It was the first of November in 1997 in San Antonio, TX. Mom got us tickets to the home opener for the San Antonio Spurs. I was a very excited 10 year old getting to go see my favorite player, "The Admiral," David Robinson, play. We also had come off a very horrible season. All five of starters in that season, including Robinson, Avery Johnson, and Sean Elliot, were out with injuries for most of the '96-'97 season. The morale was high though on this home opener. We had the number one pick in the draft, and picked up this kid from Wake Forest. He was 6'11, had good length, slim, and seemed quiet. I heard he was good though.

That was the understatement of a lifetime.

Tim Duncan. I cannot express enough to what this man means to me not only as fan, but as an athlete, and a man. Tim Duncan played all of his 19 seasons with San Antonio, leading them to 19 consecutive winning seasons, giving the Spurs a .710 wining percentage....that not just the greatest individual winning percentage in NBA history, but in any history of any sport! He became the third player in NBA history to hit 1,000 wins. He was Rookie of the Year. He appeared in 15 All Star Games. 2-time league MVP. 3-time Finals MVP. 5-time CHAMPION.

I could go on and on and on and on about his stats (like being first in post-season double-doubles and blocks), and all his other accolades, but his success was only a part of what was special about Tim Duncan. He is a man who leads his life and led his team with integrity. He was a team first, me-last basketball player in a league full of me-first players. He could have gone to Orlando in 2005 and play with T-Mac, but he decided to stay in San Antonio, and helped evolve the Spurs franchise into one of the greatest organizations in all of sports. He didn't ignore the new players, the rookies. He helped them realize their full potential. Don't believe me? Look how he mentored Kawhi Leonard, who is now a top five player in the league, easily. He dealt with everyday problems, including a divorce, but managed to keep that, like most things in his life, private. His selflessness made him the ultimate teammate, and that will be hard to replicate in this day and age of NBA basketball.

So I sit here reflecting to a man who I looked up to and admired most of my life. I was 10 years old in San Antonio when I first saw him play his first home game. I am now a 29 year old man.

To "The Big Fundamental." The Greatest Power Forward to ever play the game. A top ten all time NBA player ever. One hell of a man.
You will never be forgotten. You will certainly be missed.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:10:54 PM by Accelerando »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2016, 08:20:31 PM »
Mad props to Tim Duncan for being a total class act to the end. No silly farewell tour; no "look at me" celebration; just a quiet, dignified exit. :tup :tup

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2016, 08:40:11 PM »
I've only been to a handful of basketball games, but I happened to be at this game where even though we (GSW) won, Tim Duncan was impressive as ever.  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2016, 12:26:57 PM »
Mad props to Tim Duncan for being a total class act to the end. No silly farewell tour; no "look at me" celebration; just a quiet, dignified exit. :tup :tup

Agreed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uP5kDbctcE

Pop's conference on Duncan. Just beautiful

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2016, 10:34:19 AM »
"With these teams right now, they're saying us and Golden State are the super teams, and they're trying not to build that many super teams, and [commissioner] Adam Silver came out with the statement and this and that," Rose said during a recent interview with NBA.com.

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17124633/derrick-rose-says-new-york-knicks-being-put-same-super-team-class-golden-state-warriors

Webpoet73 says:   :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2016, 10:00:05 PM »
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2016, 03:12:47 PM »

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2016, 07:52:12 PM »
Haha who the hell is calling the Knicks a super team?  I wonder if Rose is just trolling, or if he's really that detached from reality.  Honestly, between it being a contract year, and Rose having something to prove, I wouldn't be surprised if he put together a very solid year, statistically.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2016, 10:12:42 AM »
I'm wondering if he actually said that on his own accord or if he was asked a baited question and the answer was taken out of context. Considering how the NY sports media uses that tactic to manufacture stories quite a bit I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »
"Would you say this new-look Knicks team has more in common with Hitler's third reich or, I don't know, sayyy the Warriors?"
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2016, 08:24:51 PM »
We all knew Shaq left the Magic for the Lakers in 1996... but, geez, I didn't the Magic's management at that time blew it so badly.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/the-inside-story-how-the-orlando-magic-let-the-lakers-steal-shaquille-oneal/
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2016, 11:30:13 PM »
The Warriors added another MVP to the roster. Lol  :biggrin:

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2016, 09:42:19 AM »
So can the US stop this basketball genius today in the gold medal game?

https://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2016/08/20/milo_teodosi_of_serbia_is_dominating_the_2016_olympics.html

Man, I really hope Teodosic finally comes to the NBA before he gets too old. Plz check out the clips in the above article if you've never heard of this dude!!!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2016, 05:34:47 PM »
So can the US stop this basketball genius today in the gold medal game?

https://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2016/08/20/milo_teodosi_of_serbia_is_dominating_the_2016_olympics.html

Man, I really hope Teodosic finally comes to the NBA before he gets too old. Plz check out the clips in the above article if you've never heard of this dude!!!

I don't think he has any interest whatsoever in going to the NBA and it might be a good call. I love his tempo and overall play but I don't think he can match the phisysicallity that is requeried in the league to be succesful.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2016, 08:45:50 PM »
I'm stoked to hear that Pop is the next Team USA coach. If we can just get Bron Bron and Curry for ONE olympics I'll ejaculate in the pattern of the olympic rings.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2016, 07:42:08 AM »
I'm stoked to hear that Pop is the next Team USA coach. If we can just get Bron Bron and Curry for ONE olympics I'll ejaculate in the pattern of the olympic rings.

LBJ maybe a bit old by 2020, but how about a lineup that may feature someone like KD, Curry, K.Thomas, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, Brandon Ingram, Ben Simmons, Karl-Anthony Towns and anyone might come on strong in the next 2-3 years?  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2016, 09:44:44 AM »

LBJ maybe a bit old by 2020, but how about a lineup that may feature someone like KD, Curry, K.Thomas, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, Brandon Ingram, Ben Simmons, Karl-Anthony Towns and anyone might come on strong in the next 2-3 years?  :hat

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but Ben Simmons is from Australia...

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2016, 09:53:59 AM »

Oops... note to US Government... must give this kid a citizenship quickly!  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2016, 12:34:27 PM »
Speaking of K-A Towns...

My 13 y/o is a huge Celtics fan, so as with last year, we took him to a Celtics game for Christmas. General public tix went on sale today, and we scored pretty good seats to see the Timberwolves.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2016, 12:55:49 PM »

Oops... note to US Government... must give this kid a citizenship quickly!  :lol

And Towns plays for the Dominican Republic.