Author Topic: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?  (Read 56949 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2016, 07:05:33 PM »
Especially when everyone left to join the Knicks  :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2016, 09:42:14 AM »
DURANT TO THE WARRIORS

OH
MY
GOD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2016, 09:46:45 AM »
Holy crap.  Man they will be unstoppable.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »
They should win 78 games, although it's hard to imagine them losing four. :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »
Wow! Will we get to see the LeBrons vs. the Dubs in the Finals for a third time in a row?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2016, 10:08:53 AM »
Horrible. I was hoping he would choose the Cs, or stay with OKC. This makes everything incredibly unbalanced. On the other side, how ling is this gonna last? At some point Curry, Clay and Green should get max contracts and the Dubs won't be able to pay all of those.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2016, 10:11:45 AM »
Horrible. I was hoping he would choose the Cs, or stay with OKC. This makes everything incredibly unbalanced. On the other side, how ling is this gonna last? At some point Curry, Clay and Green should get max contracts and the Dubs won't be able to pay all of those.

It is most likely a one-year rental. I guess all parties will look at how things go after next season.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2016, 11:14:08 AM »
Klay Thompson is now the 4th best player on the Warriors.  Think about that. :eek :eek

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2016, 12:09:07 PM »

It is most likely a one-year rental. I guess all parties will look at how things go after next season.

Two years with a player option on the second one.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »

Two years with a player option on the second one.

I know, but that's exactly my point. Whether KD would exercise his player option in the second remains to be seen. He could still very well leave and return to OKC after this one season.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2016, 12:58:30 PM »
I know, but that's exactly my point. Whether KD would exercise his player option in the second remains to be seen. He could still very well leave and return to OKC after this one season.

That would be extremely weird.

On other news , the Spurs get Gasol for 2 years and there are several rumors that Duncan may finally call it a day.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2016, 01:01:34 PM »
If the Spurs are signing Pau now, I strongly believe Duncan has made his retirement decision.

On the flip side of the KD free agency, and perhaps RW to be leaving next... now is the best time to move the Sonics back to Seattle, lol!!  :biggrin:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »
I'm sweating with the news of Gasol. The last time I saw Timmy play live was in Orlando six years ago. I was hoping to catch him one last time out here in LA.

I want him to stay one more year, but as a fan, that's me being selfish. Timmy has given so much to this team, and he had stayed faithful to San Antonio. He could have left the Spurs and played with T-Mac in Orlando back in the early 2000s. He didn't, and won five rings in San Antonio.

I'm anxious for the next few days to come.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2016, 02:11:11 PM »
As a fan, Durant to the Warriors makes me a little nervous because it could make the league extremely predictable for the foreseeable future (Golden State could legitimately reel off three or four straight titles). That said, kudos to him. I think he made a great choice and I doubt he'll regret it. He deserves a situation like this after so many years in a good, but frustrating organization.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2016, 03:27:23 PM »
Kinda sucks for the Cavs' fans that as soon as it appeared that they were on track to make a legitimate run at a dynasty since they had cleared the two biggest hurdles of 1) having abysmal scumbag ownership that couldn't have made it any more obvious that they were just gonna take the money and run while refusing to acquire key teammates for LBJ during his first 7 years there and 2) losing LBJ in 2010, that now they're likely gonna have to sign another top-level free agent to have any real chance against the KD edition of the Warriors.

I like Kevin Love but this year's finals showed they could play at a very high level even with him being a nonfactor for large stretches of time. That doesn't bode very well for his future there considering how difficult it was to incorporate him into some of their schemes. Considering how he wasted away on the Wolves for a while, it'd be unfortunate to see him go another 2 or 3 seasons into his career without being on a team where he can both contend and be a definite go-to guy.

If he ends up looking like an overpriced role player, this could significantly hurt his trade value. Now might be the time to make a move even though it'd be disappointing wondering what might've been had they found a way to fully utilize his skills in their system.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline j

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2016, 04:59:53 PM »
As a fan, Durant to the Warriors makes me a little nervous because it could make the league extremely predictable for the foreseeable future (Golden State could legitimately reel off three or four straight titles). That said, kudos to him. I think he made a great choice and I doubt he'll regret it. He deserves a situation like this after so many years in a good, but frustrating organization.

Can't believe the league denied the Chris Paul to the Lakers deal several years back, but not this. :lol

But honestly I don't understand this deal from any angle.  From the Warriors' perspective, they add yet ANOTHER jump shooter (that doesn't do Durant justice, but that's primarily what he is) to an already successful formula.  From Durant's perspective, any potential championships he wins with GS are cheapened by the fact that all he's doing is joining an already proven, complete championship team.  And he took a big pay cut!  I've never really questioned the notion that winning is KD's priority, but I can't help but think that winning like this would just seem empty in the eyes of those evaluating his legacy.

-J

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2016, 05:12:52 PM »

Can't believe the league denied the Chris Paul to the Lakers deal several years back, but not this. :lol

But honestly I don't understand this deal from any angle.  From the Warriors' perspective, they add yet ANOTHER jump shooter (that doesn't do Durant justice, but that's primarily what he is) to an already successful formula.  From Durant's perspective, any potential championships he wins with GS are cheapened by the fact that all he's doing is joining an already proven, complete championship team.  And he took a big pay cut!  I've never really questioned the notion that winning is KD's priority, but I can't help but think that winning like this would just seem empty in the eyes of those evaluating his legacy.

-J

Sadly, mainstream basketball analysis is so bad that, at the end of the day, all that will matter is how many rings Durant has on his fingers. In a perfect world, people would evaluate players by breaking them down statistically, determine how many great seasons they had, and make a conclusion based on a dozen or so variables. Instead, people usually take the easier road and just count titles. It really annoys me, but that's the way the world works. :lol

Now, in fairness, if Durant averages 30 PPG next year, competes for the MVP, and then polishes off his season with a great playoffs, he should get full credit.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2016, 07:49:01 PM »
I can understand the hate for KD, yet I also think it is kind of unfair to him. He is a smart guy, and money ain't a factor in his decision. So my guess is, he either knows deep down RW won't extend or due to that and could be traded by the deadline. What if RW got traded and he is the only one left? Or, he finally realizes the way OKC handles player personnel, his team won't get much better than last year. IMO, so by signing with the Dubs, he gives himself a great chance to win and grow.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2016, 09:39:09 PM »

Why?

The Paul situation was a trade where the league owned one of the teams involved at the time.

The Durant situation is a FREE AGENT choosing where to sign.

Not even remotely close to being comparable.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2016, 08:21:18 AM »
What a signing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2016, 08:56:18 AM »
Smart move by Durant and, honestly, the move 99% of us would've made in the same situation.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2016, 09:01:45 AM »

-J

Eh, I don't really think he cares about a "legacy," and I don't think I would either in today's sports climate.  What I mean by that is, I think the criteria used to judge a player's "legacy" in this day and age are bogus and stupid to a great degree.  Yeah, it's nice to be viewed in a certain light.  But at the end of the day, if people are judging you based on criteria that just aren't important to you, you probably shouldn't end up caring much what they think.  Seems to me that that is his thinking.

And I can't agree with those looking down on this move and criticizing him for it.  He was on a team where every indication was that he didn't get along with the other superstar at all, and things weren't really working, despite that they were able to have some success.  If he was going to leave, what benefit is it to him to go to a lesser team?  The Warriors were probably looking to part ways with Barnes this year anyway, so they have a vacancy where KD fits perfectly.  As you point out, J, he is a great jump shooter.  And he is a great passer and is good at creating space and getting "open."  So he fits their offensive model of play perfectly.  AND he is a terrific defender, which is the Warriors' true strength (although it is an area where they slipped a bit this year).  On paper at least, he is a perfect fit for the Warriors.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2016, 09:05:25 AM »
  by signing with the Dubs, he gives himself a great chance to win and grow.

Win?..yes.
Grow?..seems he's going to have to take a step back.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2016, 09:08:09 AM »

Win?..yes.
How so?  There are more skill players on the Warriors to push him, on both offense and defense.  And given that their offensive model focuses on ball movement and their defensive model focuses on constantly shifting and switching, I see him upping his game as inevitable.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »

Win?..yes.
How so?  There are more skill players on the Warriors to push him, on both offense and defense.  And given that their offensive model focuses on ball movement and their defensive model focuses on constantly shifting and switching, I see him upping his game as inevitable.

I can see that there's something to that. Maybe take a step back isn't the right choice of words. But I still have a hard time with him growing. I'm sure GS has a great program and all, but he's joining an established squad, whereas I think he would've "grown" even moreso with SA, and even (gasp) the Celtics, where he would truly be relied upon even more. Maybe "take a step back" isn't the right choice of words, but I'm not sure "grow" is either. I'm having trouble grasping that concept.

Just not sure how much Durant has room to "grow". He's pretty advanced as it is.

Maybe I'm a jilted Boston guy  :lol but I just don't see GS as a "challenge" for him. He's riding their coat tails where he doesn't have to be the man. That's fine, it's his choice and he earned that right, but my first thought of him going to GS was that it is weak.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:23:00 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2016, 09:25:21 AM »
Smart move by Durant and, honestly, the move 99% of us would've made in the same situation.

I don't think that 99% of us would have made the same move.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2016, 09:27:38 AM »

99% of me doesn't really care what people think.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2016, 09:29:07 AM »

99% of me doesn't really care what people think.

Make it 100%..... this is an amazing turn of events for the Warriors. Enjoy it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »
:lol  No, I slightly care, so I'll give you 1%.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2016, 10:24:01 AM »

I disagree.  He likely had good reason to believe that RW was not going to stay in OKC long term.  Without him, not much chance for success in OKC.

So, if he decided to jump, why not jump to the best team available?

I think it's absolutely a great move for him and for the Warriors.  Also, the Warriors were apparently going to pursue this move even if they had won the championship, so it's not like this is a knee-jerk reaction to losing for them.

Barring injury, this team has a shot at being one of the best ever.  A shot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »
Durant's going to grow with the Warriors, but it's going to be a different kind of growth. I would assume that he will become a better defensive player and passer. He's going to learn how to move off the ball. The one area where he might take a step back, and I don't think this really matters all that much, is as an "alpha dog", so-to-speak. The days of him doing everything for his team are probably gone, at least on average. I'm sure there will be games where he has to completely take over, but it's not going to be necessary over the course of a full season, and so he might become a tad more specialized.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »
According to Bleacher Report, Spurs just traded Boris Diaw to the Jazz to secure Pau Gasol's contract. I'm fearful our bench is weakening. Diaw was completely underused last season despite injuries, and in my opinion, was one of our best players, especially off the bench.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2016, 04:57:44 PM »

Eh, I don't really think he cares about a "legacy," and I don't think I would either in today's sports climate.  What I mean by that is, I think the criteria used to judge a player's "legacy" in this day and age are bogus and stupid to a great degree.  Yeah, it's nice to be viewed in a certain light.  But at the end of the day, if people are judging you based on criteria that just aren't important to you, you probably shouldn't end up caring much what they think.  Seems to me that that is his thinking.

Could not agree more. :tup :tup

Durant shouldn't give two craps what the fans or media think, and it's clear that he does not. Good for him.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2016, 05:04:26 PM »
Wow, things are really moving quickly in free agency.  I really hope the Warriors keep Varejao.  I am bummed for him that he didn't get a ring, given all the years he put in in Cleveland, only to be traded away the year they finally get one.  I remember reading before the finals started that, in the event the Cavs were to win it, they had the option to offer him a ring.  But I thought at the time, and still feel this way now, that I wouldn't want one under those circumstances if I were him.  I mean, yeah, he was on the team this year, and it is within the NBA's rules.  But still, it's not like he contributed to them winning the title.  He played to prevent them from doing it.  So it would seem weird for him to get one from them.  I hope he stays with them and they get one next year.  I'm just not so sure they are going to keep him, given some of the moves they are making (signing Pachulia and D. West).  :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »
Eh, he's an annoying flopper, and didn't deserver a ring for latching on to a great team and making such meager contributions.  But hey, that's me.  :lol :biggrin: