Author Topic: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?  (Read 56962 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:01:05 PM »
Probably not, considering the fact that the west still has a shitload of fire power at the top between the Warriors, Thunder, and Spurs (whether or not Tim Duncan returns, they're still good for 50 wins any season as long as Popovich is there), plus Toronto might be one key free agent acquisition away from making next season's ECF a real coinflip. On top of this, they've really gotta figure out Kevin Love in a hurry cuz, unless he was just struggling to recover fully from the concussion, he's barely even a role player at times the way their system works.

It is interesting, though, to see how Lebron's first two seasons back with the Cavs have gone just like they did with the Heat by losing a finals, then winning one. It'd be kinda awesome to see a historical have-not like the Cavs have their own dynasty plus seeing how GOAT debates go if LBJ ends up getting another couple titles. If he miraculously gets to six, MJ worshipers and LBJ critics will desperately cling to the "BUT JAWDIN WUZ UNDEFEATED IN DA FINALZ!!!!" horseshit while they completely ignore how many times he lost in prior playoff rounds compared to LBJ hypothetically winning ten ECFs if he were to eventually get six titles.

Back to the west. It really seems like a three horse race for who'll make it to the finals next year. The Spurs, Thunder, and Warriors all still have to show weakness of some kind before anyone can credibly say any of them aren't a viable contender to come out of the west. I can maybe see the Blazers or Rockets emerging as a fourth contender but I think that's a lot to ask from a team with someone as divisive as Harden and someone as streaky as Howard. Blazers really seem to be poised to be the next man up. The Clippers have the talent to be in the conversation but they really seem to be stuck in neutral and appear very lacking of mental toughness.

In the east the Raptors impressed me a lot with how well they hung with the Cavs. Demar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry are a formidable shooting duo and can really carry them. Any lucky break for them against the Cavs like a bad injury or them acquiring a great third option in free agency could help them sneak into the finals.

The Hornets will be very entertaining too. They really came on strong this past season and could be entering a nice five year window of legit title contention. Hopefully Jeremy Lin blossoms into the player he showed flashes of with the Knicks and then decides to stay there.

Wizards are quite the enigma. They've seemingly been on the cusp of better things for like three years now but keep faltering. This year very likely isn't theirs but if they can at least get to the conference semis it'll do wonders for their future outlook. Otherwise, don't be surprised to see John Wall head for greener pasteurs when the chance comes.

I honestly didn't see enough Celtics games to judge them well enough but they have a young smart coach and seem to be on the upswing. It'd be cool to see more great clashes between them and the Lakers in a few years if D'Angelo Russell can resurrect that dumpster fire.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
A new thread already?  :lol  Okay...

Back to the west. It really seems like a three horse race for who'll make it to the finals next year. The Spurs, Thunder, and Warriors all still have to show weakness of some kind before anyone can credibly say any of them aren't a viable contender to come out of the west. I can maybe see the Blazers or Rockets emerging as a fourth contender but I think that's a lot to ask from a team with someone as divisive as Harden and someone as streaky as Howard. Blazers really seem to be poised to be the next man up. The Clippers have the talent to be in the conversation but they really seem to be stuck in neutral and appear very lacking of mental toughness.

I agree with all of that, except the Rockets.  I think they will start to decline, or at least always be a "low-tier playoff" team that gets to the playoffs on the basis of their talent, but never really accomplishes much of anything noteworthy once getting there.  I like the Blazers' chances of being the next team up.  And what you said about the top 3 absolutely rings true.  I mean, picking the top 3 seeds immediately after a playoffs and saying they should be the tops next year is a no-brainer and often doesn't pan out.  But in this case, these three teams have a proven track record and do not appear to be going away.  The one interesting potential monkey wrench is Durant.  Where he goes could shake things up significantly.  I am also interested in seeing what the Warriors do.  They have already talked about making some changes.  I think their starting lineup will remain mostly intact.  But I think they will cut ties with Barnes.  They love him.  But I think he was already being considered for the chopping block anyway, and he had such a nonproductive season in a contract year that I think it will be the end for him.  I also expect changes on the bench.  But we will see.

It is interesting, though, to see how Lebron's first two seasons back with the Cavs have gone just like they did with the Heat by losing a finals, then winning one. It'd be kinda awesome to see a historical have-not like the Cavs have their own dynasty plus seeing how GOAT debates go if LBJ ends up getting another couple titles.

Interesting.  I hadn't made those two connections.  I don't think Cleveland cares, but it would be nice for them to get another one that doesn't have a "*" attached to it.  The thing with LeBron is, whether he is THE greatest of all time will I think always be up for debate.  But honestly, anyone who tries to argue that he isn't in the discussion is delusional. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 09:23:58 AM »
I think the Raptors should re-sign Bismack, then explore the trade market for Jonas. Bismack is a much better fit because he's a great defensive player who can hugely impact games without getting the ball, whereas Jonas needs the ball, and simply won't ever get it as long as Lowry and DeRozan are around. If Toronto can flip Jonas into a couple of really good role players, one wing and one big, I think they'll be in nice shape.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 04:30:54 PM »
Dwight Howard is opting out of his contract. I bet he goes back East.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 06:31:19 PM »
Oh forget about Dwight, Dirk Nowitzki has opted out!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 08:31:42 PM »
If James stays in Cleveland, everyone in the East is just fighting for 2nd place. Should be interesting to see who get when they inevitably get rid of Kevin Love.  Free agents never want to go to Cleveland, but many will sacrifice a year or two in a crappy city to have a shot at a ring.

Should also be interesting to see what happens with Kevin Durant.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 01:32:25 AM »
Durant to the Warriors is looking like more than a pipe dream now.

https://www.nbasocial.com/rumors/kevin-durant-prefers-joining-golden-state-warriors-leaves-okc/
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 10:23:21 AM »
I think the Raptors should re-sign Bismack, then explore the trade market for Jonas. Bismack is a much better fit because he's a great defensive player who can hugely impact games without getting the ball, whereas Jonas needs the ball, and simply won't ever get it as long as Lowry and DeRozan are around. If Toronto can flip Jonas into a couple of really good role players, one wing and one big, I think they'll be in nice shape.

I read that DeRozan will be exploring free agency so the Raptor might need to consider a lot of options if they want to reach another conference finals
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 02:55:04 PM »
A new era begins in Chicago...... and perhaps in NY....

The Knicks have acquired former All-Star point guard Derrick Rose from the Bulls, the teams announced Wednesday.

The Knicks trade center Robin Lopez, guard Jose Calderon and guard Jerian Grant to Chicago, which shipped guard Justin Holiday, Rose and a 2017 second-round pick back to New York.

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16427840/new-york-knicks-acquire-derrick-rose-chicago-bulls

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 02:57:39 PM »
The Atlanta Hawks are sending guard Jeff Teague to the Indiana Pacers as part of a three-way deal that includes the Utah Jazz, a source confirmed to ESPN's Jeff Goodman.

Point guard George Hill will go from the Pacers to the Jazz, and Utah will send the No. 12 pick in Thursday's draft to Atlanta.

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16426696/indiana-pacers-get-jeff-teague-3-team-trade-atlanta-hawks-utah-jazz

Oh, and not to triple post... it seems that the Sixers and Lakers have already made it known who they intend on drafting tomorrow night. Hoping that it works out for both teams. Both players have a lot of potential.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 05:46:16 PM »
https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/stephen-curry-golden-state-warriors-finals-mvp-worst-ever-062016

Cliffnotes: Curry had the worst NBA finals of any reigning MVP ever.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 09:27:04 PM »
Derrick Rose is now with the Knicks. Melo and Rose playing on the same team is really something for fans to get excited about.......8 years ago.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 11:03:41 PM »
While I don't think Rose will ever get back to his MVP caliber performances due to his injuries, I think he will be a great asset for the team. Him and Kristaps Porzingis (love saying that name) will be a fun duo to watch.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 06:45:57 AM »
Has there ever been a less impactful star than Carmelo Anthony?  13 NBA seasons and he has been past the 1st round...twice. :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 08:23:04 AM »
Just for fun, how about we rank the top NBA players ever currently. I think the top 12 are obvious, so here goes...

1. Michael Jordan
2. LeBron James
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Larry Bird
6. Magic Johnson
7. Tim Duncan
8. Wilt Chamberlain
9. Shaquille O'Neal
10. Oscar Robertson
11. Hakeem Olajuwon
12. Kobe Bryant

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 09:37:01 AM »
Ima do a top 20 since i couldnt just do a top ten lol

1. Michael Jordan
2. Bill Russell
3. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Larry Bird
6. Magic Johnson
7. Tim Duncan
8. Hakeem Olajuwon
9. Kobe Bryant
10. Shaq
11. Oscar Robertson
12. Julius Erving
13. LeBron James
14. Jerry West
15. Moses Malone
16. David Robinson
17. Karl Malone
18. Walt Frazier
19. John Stockton
20. George Gervin

The only difficulty for my list was debating where to place Bird/Magic. The greatest player rivalry ever, and such respect between the two

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 10:55:56 AM »
1.Michael Jordan

2.LeBron James

3.Kareem Abdul Jabbar

4.Magic Johnson

5.Tim Duncan

6.Bill Russell

7.Larry Bird

8.Wilt Chamberlain

9.Shaq

10.Hakeem Olajuwon

11.Oscar Robertson

12.Kobe Bryant

13.Jerry West

14.Julius Erving

15.David Robinson

16.Karl Malone

17.John Stockton

18. Dwyane Wade

19.Moses Malone

20.Walt Fraizer

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 10:58:35 AM »
Just to be clear: This is a list of the players who, off the top of my head, I would most want on my team if I get them at the beginning of their career and have them through the end.

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. LeBron
4. Magic
5. Bird
6. Russell
7. Wilt
8. Duncan
9. Shaq
10. Hakeem
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 11:26:32 PM »
Other than the Thunder, Spurs and Warriors are the first teams to secure meetings with Kevin Durant.

OMG. If the Spurs can get their hands on Durant....You'll have Duncan, Leonard, Aldridge, Parker, AND Durant as your starting five....Green, Ginobli, Diaw, Mills as next man up....just..... :omg:

Im expecting Durant to re-sign with the Thunder, but a Spurs fan can dream!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 05:55:05 AM »
Other than the Thunder, Spurs and Warriors are the first teams to secure meetings with Kevin Durant.

OMG. If the Spurs can get their hands on Durant....You'll have Duncan, Leonard, Aldridge, Parker, AND Durant as your starting five....Green, Ginobli, Diaw, Mills as next man up....just..... :omg:

Im expecting Durant to re-sign with the Thunder, but a Spurs fan can dream!

Not really, they have to let green and someone else go to make enough cap room. And I'm also not sure Manu and Tim will be back for another season.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 06:48:06 AM »
Yep, Duncan looked at the end of the road in the playoffs.

And all of that flopping Ginobili does is bound to be worse on his body as he gets older... :lol :lol

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 08:43:09 AM »
Let me get up in this new thread!

The Dipo for Ibaka trade is a very interesting one. Wonder how Durant feels about it? Impossible to judge right now, really... but it will definitely be a difference maker (good? bad? both?) once the playoffs arrive. Here's Zach Lowe on the particulars if you're interested:

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16480955/breaking-other-side-ibaka-oladipo-trade

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 08:49:45 AM »
Oladipo is one of the best guards in the league on defense, and considering Golden State is the hurdle they need to get over, having a guy like him, who has the skills and quickness to bug Curry and Thompson on those 3's, is an upgrade in that regard.  He's not a great scorer, but still a slight upgrade offensively over Dion Waiters at SG.  I like the trade for OKC, assuming Durant stays of course.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 08:37:34 AM »
There you go Vogel! He is able to pry away longtime Spurs assistant coach Chad Forcier to be his top assistant. Well done! I look forward to seeing the Magic improving.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »
With Jim Buss still in charge, the Lakers are like the Rodney Dangerfield in basketball... we don't get no respect, nobody wants to come, stars don't even want to meet with us... lol!  :lol  :|  :\  :facepalm:  :'(
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 07:56:52 PM »
Because the Laker brand being important is a thing of the past.  The NBA is a stars-driven league, not one driven by big markets.  The NBA doesn't need LA, Chicago, Boston or NY to be great to generate high interest, and recent history has shown that.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 08:19:12 PM »
Because the Laker brand being important is a thing of the past.  The NBA is a stars-driven league, not one driven by big markets.  The NBA doesn't need LA, Chicago, Boston or NY to be great to generate high interest, and recent history has shown that.

True, and I don't entirely disagree with that view. Still, some players enjoy that big city lifestyle.

On the other hand, I think Jim Buss being in charge is another factor driving players away too.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 11:25:14 PM »
It looks like Timofey Mozgov and the Lakers have agreed on a 4-year $64M deal.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

• DT.net Member
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 12:18:15 AM »
You can't even write this shit.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 07:55:29 PM »
Reports are saying KD is "blown away" by the Clippers after their 4-hour meeting... KD, please, anywhere but the Clippers!  :sadpanda:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2016, 09:22:10 AM »
I think, when it is all said and done, Durant stays with OKC, likely signing a two-year deal with an opt-out after next year.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2016, 01:55:17 PM »
Celtics bringing in Brady for the Durant meeting.  Funny thing a local radio guy tweeted out, "HOLY CRAP, THEY BROUGHT OLYNYK"! :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DT.net Member
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2016, 03:11:13 PM »
Everybody knows you only get one franchise-changing Kevin via free agency per lifespan of a franchise. Stay in your lane, Boston.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 11:59:29 AM »
And all of that flopping Ginobili does is bound to be worse on his body as he gets older... :lol :lol

Ginobli heard you and says "I'm flopping for one more year"

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16733221/manu-ginobili-return-next-season-expected-re-sign-san-antonio-spurs

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2016, 05:30:48 PM »
Rondo to the Bulls?! Have fun with him, Chicago.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,