Author Topic: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?  (Read 56957 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?
« Reply #490 on: April 25, 2017, 11:33:31 AM »
Only thing that sucks about the Warriors sweeping the Blazers is that there will be no news for the better part of a week.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #491 on: April 25, 2017, 11:50:36 AM »
But the good news will be there will be no Bosk posts about the Warriors for the better part of a week.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #492 on: April 25, 2017, 11:51:49 AM »
Well, since you seem to have made a habit of constantly coming at me for no good reason lately, I'll make sure to continue to post if it irritates you that much.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: April 25, 2017, 02:18:08 PM »
That sentence started like someone was getting banned, that was disappointing.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #494 on: April 25, 2017, 02:42:39 PM »
If I were CP3, I'd be telling the Spurs to open up as much cap room as humanly possible... wouldn't that be a monster team with Chris Paul at the 1?

I'm not sure his Napoleonic thing would go over so well there. It'd make them much more entertaining to watch though.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #495 on: April 25, 2017, 02:47:13 PM »
Can't decide whether I want to root for the Clippers or Jazz to make it through to the Warriors.  I never get tired of seeing the Warriors dominate the Clippers or how helpless and frustrated the Clippers look in the process.  But they are also the more physical team, and Curry tends to get the brunt of it when playing them.  So with likely getting San Antonio after that, I'd rather have them not get as physically punished as they will in a best of 7 series against the Clippers. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: April 25, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »
I think Utah is a more physical team than the Clippers right now, plus with the injuries the Clips have withstood lately I'm sure they'll tone it down a little bit

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #497 on: April 25, 2017, 03:11:26 PM »
Well, since you seem to have made a habit of constantly coming at me for no good reason lately, I'll make sure to continue to post if it irritates you that much.

What? Not true.

I should've put a  ;D at the end of that post. I was joking.   

I love you.
(not joking) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:17:23 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #498 on: April 25, 2017, 05:15:27 PM »
:heart:

Okay, so here is the Warriors' regular season record against the WC playoff teams:

San Antonio:  1-2
Houston:  3-1
Utah:  2-1
LAC:  4-0
OKC:  4-0
Memphis:  2-2
Portland:  4-0

Interesting to see how they stacked up against the other playoff teams they may face.  The one that obviously leaps out is San Antonio.  Game 1 was the season opener.  San Antonio beat the Warriors pretty soundly.  But it's hard to put too much stock in a game that early.  Game 2, San Antonio won, but both teams were resting starters, so that doesn't say much to me.  Game 3 was on March 29th with the #1 seed at stake and the Warriors holding it by a pretty slim margin.  Both teams were at or near full strength, and appeared to be playing hard for the win.  Warriors win by 12, but they were behind until a couple of minutes into the third, and it was definitely a hard-fought win despite the final score.  I think that game is the most telling for obvious reasons.  But I also think that game might end up being a microcosm of their series if they meet in the Western Conference Finals in terms of it being a close, hard fought series early on, but the Warriors overwhelming them and bringing it home in the end in 5 or 6 games.  I guess we'll see. 

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #499 on: April 25, 2017, 06:55:01 PM »
If I were CP3, I'd be telling the Spurs to open up as much cap room as humanly possible... wouldn't that be a monster team with Chris Paul at the 1?

...and if you were CP3 and actually do what you said you would, you will be fined heavily, lol!  :lol

All jokes aside, you are right, with TP's age the Spurs are deseparate for a starting 1 who is better than Patty Mills. Or, I actually do not mind if the Spurs send multiple first rounders to the Lakers for D-Russell.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #500 on: April 25, 2017, 09:13:51 PM »
RW could join Dirk to become the second MVP winner not seeing the second round at all. Lol  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

• DT.net Member
« Reply #501 on: April 26, 2017, 12:11:05 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see them just give it to Harden now based on how this series went while denying that the postseason had anything to do with their reasoning.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #502 on: April 26, 2017, 06:03:06 AM »
I'm worried about the Spurs lately, they're a machine during the regular season but when post-season time comes some players just disappear (I'm looking at you Aldridge). I think they would do a great favor to themselves if they traded him for good assets and got Paul Millsap as a free agent during the offseason but knowing how the Spurs work this is likely not going to happen.

We need another PG to take over an aging Tony Parker. Patty Mills is great and might be our best 3 point shooter, but i think the energy he brings off the bench is more beneficial than him starting. He boosts the flow of the game coming off the bench the same way Ginobli did most his career. We also need big bodies. If there's anything that this Grizzlies series has shown me, we lack strength in our big guys. Dedmon is athletic and is still developing, but he can't compete against Zebo on defense. Aldridge doesn't take the ball to the rim when he posts, he does a little fade away that has become his signature. We need somebody that can bang bodies along the likes of Zebo and Draymon Green.

Boris Diaw was that guy for us until we traded him. I really wish we didn't.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: April 26, 2017, 06:36:46 AM »
I'm worried about the Spurs lately, they're a machine during the regular season but when post-season time comes some players just disappear (I'm looking at you Aldridge). I think they would do a great favor to themselves if they traded him for good assets and got Paul Millsap as a free agent during the offseason but knowing how the Spurs work this is likely not going to happen.

We need another PG to take over an aging Tony Parker. Patty Mills is great and might be our best 3 point shooter, but i think the energy he brings off the bench is more beneficial than him starting. He boosts the flow of the game coming off the bench the same way Ginobli did most his career. We also need big bodies. If there's anything that this Grizzlies series has shown me, we lack strength in our big guys. Dedmon is athletic and is still developing, but he can't compete against Zebo on defense. Aldridge doesn't take the ball to the rim when he posts, he does a little fade away that has become his signature. We need somebody that can bang bodies along the likes of Zebo and Draymon Green.

Boris Diaw was that guy for us until we traded him. I really wish we didn't.

Well, Memphis is kind of a 1 and only thing in the current NBA. Teams today are going away from the bigs so I don't think San Antonio is missing big bodies. As you said, TP has been down this season but he seems to have turned it on during the playoffs so maybe it was just a slump and he'll come back producing next season.

Or, I actually do not mind if the Spurs send multiple first rounders to the Lakers for D-Russell.

You do know that a Spurs 1st round pick sucks unless you are the Spurs right? It's a 28/29 pick and no team does the kind of scouting they do so you'll probably end up with fringe players.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #504 on: April 26, 2017, 08:38:57 AM »
You do know that a Spurs 1st round pick sucks unless you are the Spurs right? It's a 28/29 pick and no team does the kind of scouting they do so you'll probably end up with fringe players.

That is very true... maybe I just want to see D-Russell gone so bad.  :biggrin:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #505 on: April 27, 2017, 08:15:52 PM »
I admit I was wrong! I thought it would have been the Bucks, not the Raptors, to earn the rights to get swept by the LeBrons in the second round.  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #506 on: April 28, 2017, 06:28:35 AM »
Raptors almost gave me a heart attack last night. Way to almost blow a 25 point lead! :lol

Also, I love how ESPN is now writing headlines about how Giannis's two pointer at the end of the game "cost" the Bucks a win. Never mind the fact that he was basically the only reason they even had a shot. Why do we do this to every good up-and-coming player? >:(
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #507 on: April 28, 2017, 06:50:33 AM »
ESPN is that perpetually drunk frat guy that gets hammered before anyone else every time and then is a know-it-all about everything because his insecurities have led him to try in vain to validate himself through contrarianism.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: April 28, 2017, 07:12:31 AM »
I thought Tony Parker was done but is he proving me wrong or what? Fantastic game from him last night.

Online T-ski

« Reply #509 on: April 28, 2017, 08:10:46 AM »
Raptors almost gave me a heart attack last night. Way to almost blow a 25 point lead! :lol

Also, I love how ESPN is now writing headlines about how Giannis's two pointer at the end of the game "cost" the Bucks a win. Never mind the fact that he was basically the only reason they even had a shot. Why do we do this to every good up-and-coming player? >:(

Hell of a comeback for the Bucks but they were gassed at the end. Giannis played 47 minutes and Middleton was sick all week.  Bucks need to get some shooters to space the floor for Giannis.  The future is bright in Milwaukee though.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #510 on: April 28, 2017, 09:18:38 AM »
So, anyone feeling that any of the three remaining series will NOT be decided in tonight's game 6's?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #511 on: April 28, 2017, 09:19:49 AM »

Hell of a comeback for the Bucks but they were gassed at the end. Giannis played 47 minutes and Middleton was sick all week.  Bucks need to get some shooters to space the floor for Giannis.  The future is bright in Milwaukee though.

Indeed.  Agreed on all of that - and the Raptors should never have even allowed it to be close.

Although, the Bucks made it closer than they should've been allowed to - that inbounds with about 4 mins to go when it was 78-74, and 2.5 on the shot clock - Antetokounmpo did not get the shot off (I paused the replay, and it was still in his hands when the shot-clock went off), and I swear he didn't hit the rim either - to which the followed up with a trey to make it a one-point game.  Then the non-call foul on DeRoazan when it was 89-84 allowed them to bring it back to a 2-point game with 16 seconds.

Not sure they'll get swept by the Cavs, but it doesn't look promising.

So, anyone feeling that any of the three remaining series will NOT be decided in tonight's game 6's?

I'm sure Boston can find a way to make it interesting.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #512 on: April 28, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »
I think the Hawks rally back at home; we've been right there even in the games we've lost. While Washington is, I think, the better team, it's not as big a difference as perhaps people thought. Hawks could even still take the series.

Bulls are done...

Clips are done, I think...

I'm very interested to see what kind of fight the Jazz can put up against GS in the next round.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #513 on: April 28, 2017, 10:19:10 AM »
I'm very interested to see what kind of fight the Jazz can put up against GS in the next round.

You know, I kinda felt like they matched up decently against the Warriors in the regular season.  But then I see them in the playoffs barely beating a depleted Clippers team while I see the Warriors firing on all cylinders, and I'm not expecting much from them.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: April 30, 2017, 04:35:52 PM »
Got to see the Jazz close out the Clippers. Super pumped for them. Will be rooting for them next round...but alas they will be destroyed.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #515 on: April 30, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »
I don't know if they'll get destroyed, or swept.I see a lot of grit and grind in that team. Should be funnto see Joe Johnson and Draymond Green get at each other. Jazz will get at least 1 game

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #516 on: April 30, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »
I don't know if they'll get destroyed, or swept.I see a lot of grit and grind in that team. Should be funnto see Joe Johnson and Draymond Green get at each other. Jazz will get at least 1 game

Instead of JJ and Green, I actually see Diaw and Green getting at each other. In fact, while Green maybe slightly stronger, their games are somewhat similar. It is one match up I look forward in seeing. The Warriors haven't played anyone with a good passing big like Diaw, it will be interesting to see how Green play him.

Oh, and the Clippers will always be the Clippers.  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #517 on: May 01, 2017, 08:52:29 AM »
You know, I kinda felt like they matched up decently against the Warriors in the regular season.  But then I see them in the playoffs barely beating a depleted Clippers team while I see the Warriors firing on all cylinders, and I'm not expecting much from them.

Gobert was also basically out for 2.5 games, and Heyward missed one with food poisoning, so the Jazz were not at full strength for much of the series too. Now they'll still probably be lucky to even go past 5 games against GS, but they're still way more interesting than the Clips would have been.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #518 on: May 01, 2017, 09:11:30 AM »
Oh, okay.  I hadn't been following the series closely enough to have known that.  Well, we'll see shortly.  I think a few games will be tight, but the only thing that keeps me from calling "sweep" is that ANY team can steal a game under the right conditions, and Utah definitely has some grit to them.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: May 02, 2017, 06:19:05 AM »
Oh, okay.  I hadn't been following the series closely enough to have known that.  Well, we'll see shortly.  I think a few games will be tight, but the only thing that keeps me from calling "sweep" is that ANY team can steal a game under the right conditions, and Utah definitely has some grit to them.

While this is true, I think the small GSW lineup will be nearly impossible for Utah to match. Derrick Favors has been playing great but with Draymond Green staying in the perimeter he will surely suffer.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: May 02, 2017, 08:17:59 AM »
Well Raps... better come out stronger than throwing up 35% brick-shooting.  That could've been a far more interesting game if not for the turd of a first quarter, and then letting the Cavs go on a 10-0 run at the end of the half after pulling within 2 points.

It's like the Cavs are toying with them.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: May 02, 2017, 09:36:26 AM »

They are. I don't think Toronto has a chance of getting even 1 game. Sorry Jboy, I hope there is a baseball team you like cause your NBA season will end :soon:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: May 02, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »

They are. I don't think Toronto has a chance of getting even 1 game. Sorry Jboy, I hope there is a baseball team you like cause your NBA season will end :soon:

Don't even start with the Jays... terrible start (2-11), lots of injuries, and they are the worst team in MLB right now.

Hockey playoffs still going - like a good Canadian, I don't even need my local team to be in there to focus there.

As for the Raps... Cleveland had a great gameplan - double-team DeRozan at every chance; minimize Lowry; leave everyone else alone.  Worked wonderfully - Patterson and Powell couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with the brick's they were launching. 

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #523 on: May 02, 2017, 09:05:03 PM »
The Wizards came well prepared for Game 2, and they looked quite good all the way til the middle of the 3rd qtr... then, Isaiah Thomas single-handedly carried (no pun intended) the Cs and won Game 2... wow!  :tup
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: May 03, 2017, 06:14:41 AM »
Isaiah is a man on a mission. I sincerely think there's no stopping the Cavs, but I will leave a door open for Boston because of this guy