Author Topic: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?  (Read 57656 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?
« Reply #350 on: March 29, 2017, 09:01:06 AM »
After wiggins, towns, lavine, leonard, and thomas, derozan is my next favorite player. Hope the Raptors do well. When is lowry back?

He's been practicing this week, but only left-handed shots.  He might be able to put some minutes in for Round 1 - but doubtful it'll be his usual 37+ minutes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #351 on: March 29, 2017, 09:03:46 AM »
Toronto matches up well against Boston.  They just have their number.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #352 on: March 29, 2017, 09:07:57 AM »

This is the basketball thread, you know.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #353 on: March 29, 2017, 09:09:17 AM »
After wiggins, towns, lavine, leonard, and thomas, derozan is my next favorite player. Hope the Raptors do well. When is lowry back?

He's been practicing this week, but only left-handed shots.  He might be able to put some minutes in for Round 1 - but doubtful it'll be his usual 37+ minutes.

That's too bad. Those two guys remind me a lot of Tony Campbell (DeRozan) and Pooh Richardson (Lowry) from the TWolves expansion years. DeRozan and Lowry are better, for sure, but watching them, they remind me of my first favorite players. Especially Campbell and DeRozan.

I know no one here cares about the Wolves except for me, but I am really glad they snapped the six game losing streak with that win last night in Indiana. That streak not only crushed their playoff chances, but really killed the season for me as a fan. Just absolutely no defense. Even last night, they got lucky to get the win.

Not sure what it is going to take to get these guys to play tougher D, but it needs to happen. I'm no fan of Rubio, and never have been. But the dude has been playing well. That said, I hope they move him for some defensive-minded depth in the off season. Dunn is just about ready to take on the starting PG role, and he's a superior defender anyway. Once Lavine makes it back, I have to believe a starting unit of:

Towns
Dieng (needs to be more consistent on a nightly basis)
Wiggins
Lavine
Dunn

>>>>has a legitimate shot for a lower playoff seed next year, provided they all continue to get better and Coach Thibs brings in some guys he trusts in the rotation. He HAS TO LOWER the minutes Wiggins, Towns, and Lavine (prior to injury) are getting. They are up near 38 per night, and while young, that will tire them out, which this recent losing streak has shown -- particularly on the defensive end.

Here's hoping. Been a long playoff drought for us TWolves fans. It'd be nice to finally get into the dance and do some damage.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #354 on: March 29, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »

This is the basketball thread, you know.   :lol

My statement works well in Hockey as well this year. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline T-ski

« Reply #355 on: March 29, 2017, 09:21:20 AM »
if the Bucks get the Raps in the first round I hope Lowry doesn't play, he just kills them.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: March 29, 2017, 09:32:47 AM »
if the Bucks get the Raps in the first round I hope Lowry doesn't play, he just kills them.

Bucks are going to be crazy good once healthy. Kidd has done a great job.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #357 on: March 29, 2017, 09:38:20 AM »

a lot of Bucks fans think the team is winning in spite of Kidd, me included.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #358 on: March 29, 2017, 09:41:01 AM »

No sir, they won't be healthy this spring... Jabari Parker is out with a second ACL tear...
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline T-ski

« Reply #359 on: March 29, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »
HUGE win for the Blazers over the Nuggets!! They are now the new owner of the #8 spot out west with a full game in front of these same Nuggets.

...and Lakers... please don't beat them Wiz... LOL!  :lol  :facepalm:

I'm still shocked Portland got Nurkic and a 1st for Plumlee.  What a steal.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #360 on: March 29, 2017, 09:48:32 AM »

Plus, Terry Stotts is really doing a good coaching job in developing these young guys. They are actually quite fun to watch this season, despite not having any real big name star... Lillard and McCollum ain't recognizable names if you ain't an NBA fan...
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline T-ski

« Reply #361 on: March 29, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »

Plus, Terry Stotts is really doing a good coaching job in developing these young guys. They are actually quite fun to watch this season, despite not having any real big name star... Lillard and McCollum ain't recognizable names if you ain't an NBA fan...

I remember Stotts in Milwaukee about ten years back, he was stuck with some bad talent and big egos.  The results were not good.

Portland really handcuffed themselves with some bad contracts this past off season but they definitely have a killer backcourt tandem in Lillard and McCollum.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: March 29, 2017, 12:19:32 PM »

Really? Obviously, I don't follow the Bucks quite as closely as a fan of the team would. What's the story on that?

No sir, they won't be healthy this spring... Jabari Parker is out with a second ACL tear...

No, I know that. I meant next season. Parker, The Greek Freak (I can barely say it, much less spell it), a healthy Middleton (he's starting to get back to form), and some more seasoning should mean good things. I like the young PG the Bucks have.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #363 on: March 29, 2017, 12:53:01 PM »

Really? Obviously, I don't follow the Bucks quite as closely as a fan of the team would. What's the story on that?

Kidd is a known name who just happens to be a close friend of one of the Bucks three majority owners and was hired behind the current GM's back.

there is no rhyme or reason to his in game decisions.  his rotations are a mess and his minutes distributions are a mess.  die hard Bucks fans like myself know Kidd doesn't really do any of the X's and O's of the offense or defense, the assistants are responsible for that.  I firmly believe that if someone like Brad Stevens were coaching the team, the Bucks would be at least a top 4 team in the East right now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #364 on: March 29, 2017, 05:33:59 PM »
With all of this talk about First Place, I expect the Celtics to lose to the Bucks tonight.

When the Celtics Starting 5 (Thomas, Bradley, Crowder, Johnson, Horford) are together, the C's are 24-7. When not they are 24-19.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #365 on: March 29, 2017, 07:01:48 PM »
  No way I can consider James for MVP. Not this year.

See, that goes back to whole Michael Jordan thing.  He is expected to be great, so he is taken for granted.   

So we just give it to the best player?

When the best player is this much better than everybody else, yes.

Consider that many consider Kevin Durant the 2nd best player in the league, and the Warriors are on an 8-game winning streak WITHOUT him.

Meanwhile, the Cavs are 0-6 this season when James does not play.

Best =/= Most Valuable

The criteria is so subjective, that it warrants these kinds of discussions, and the intangibles usually don't lead to a definitive favorite.  Though (imo), it's a 2-horse race between Westbrook and Thomas.  Where would either team be without them? OKC... undoubtably out of the playoffs; Boston... certainly not 1st in the east.

Where would Cleveland be without James?  Getting lottery balls again.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #366 on: March 29, 2017, 07:17:11 PM »
When the best player is this much better than everybody else, yes.

Consider that many consider Kevin Durant the 2nd best player in the league, and the Warriors are on an 8-game winning streak WITHOUT him.

Right... but as I recall he didn't play in those games not due to injury, rather he was resting... while I admit some of those second nights in a back-to-back set are tough, I don't recall guys like MJ, Pippen resting in their days.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #367 on: March 29, 2017, 07:22:54 PM »

Right... but as I recall he didn't play in those games not due to injury, rather he was resting... while I admit some of those second nights in a back-to-back set are tough, I don't recall guys like MJ, Pippen resting in their days.

And? Him resting games is a total non-factor, as is what stars 20+ years ago did.

James is 2nd in the entire NBA in minutes played per game.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #368 on: March 29, 2017, 07:29:26 PM »

How many of those 6 games were Irving and/or Love out as well?

No way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #369 on: March 29, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »
And? Him resting games is a total non-factor, as is what stars 20+ years ago did.

James is 2nd in the entire NBA in minutes played per game.

True, his total minutes played is second in the league this season, and you are somewhat right about those games he took off were non-factor. From a basketball stand point, he is definitely on the top of his game.

That being said, the league is about image and vanity, especially to causal fans. It just doesn't look good for business if your MVP takes nights off (he doesn't have to play 40+ minutes a game), especially on the road and a couple of those are nationally televised games.

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #370 on: March 29, 2017, 07:35:42 PM »
It's not the nights he takes off when he's in street clothes, it's the nights he takes off when he's in uniform.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #371 on: March 29, 2017, 07:35:57 PM »

How many of those 6 games were Irving and/or Love out as well?

Not sure.

No way.

Close to it.  You have to figure that a lot of those players wouldn't be there if James was not (quite a few of them are there to play with him and try to get a ring).  That is part of his value, too, the fact that players want to play with him.

That being said, the league is about image and vanity, especially to causal fans. It just doesn't look good for business if your MVP takes nights off (he doesn't have to play 40+ minutes a game), especially on the road and a couple of those are nationally televised games.

I agree, but I think voters had "LeBron MVP fatigue" already, so they wouldn't give it to him this year even if he hadn't rested a handful of games.  Voters love giving it to someone new or different.  It is boring to give it to the same guy every year.  It's why Jordan only won it five times.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #372 on: March 29, 2017, 07:38:31 PM »
RW is going nutz in Orlando as we speak!

He single handedly brought the Thunder back and forced OT... and his stats line goes something like 55/11/11... and there is still nearly 3 minutes left in OT! Wow!  :o
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #373 on: March 29, 2017, 07:45:55 PM »

No way.

Close to it.  You have to figure that a lot of those players wouldn't be there if James was not (quite a few of them are there to play with him and try to get a ring).  That is part of his value, too, the fact that players want to play with him.

Probably merit to that.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #374 on: March 29, 2017, 09:42:09 PM »
With all of this talk about First Place, I expect the Celtics to lose to the Bucks tonight.

When the Celtics Starting 5 (Thomas, Bradley, Crowder, Johnson, Horford) are together, the C's are 24-7. When not they are 24-19.

Bucks win!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #375 on: March 29, 2017, 10:10:03 PM »
4!!!!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: March 30, 2017, 06:16:00 AM »
I'm amazed at how much of a liability Parker has become this season, he's just not doing anything for the Spurs right now. Come the playoffs, I expect Pop to give Patty Mills more minutes than he is getting right now.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: March 31, 2017, 06:47:30 AM »
The Cavs are having a dreadful month of March. I know some say they are just bored and that they will flip the switch come the playoffs, but playing such a bad defense for such an extended period will probably hurt them because it might take them some time to get out of the bad habits. Still, they'll probably win the east but the extra effort will hurt them during the finals.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #378 on: March 31, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »
Honestly, I'm not sure I see them making it out of the East to the championship. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #379 on: March 31, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »
The Cavs are having a dreadful month of March. I know some say they are just bored and that they will flip the switch come the playoffs, but playing such a bad defense for such an extended period will probably hurt them because it might take them some time to get out of the bad habits. Still, they'll probably win the east but the extra effort will hurt them during the finals.

Agreed. There is currently no solid, statistical basis to think that they have any chance of winning the title. Their defense is simply too bad and their players too unhealthy. That said, they do have one trump card: LeBron James. If he can play another historically great Finals, they have a chance against anyone.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #380 on: March 31, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
You guys are so negative... the Cavs look awfully good tonight... against the Sixers.  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #381 on: April 03, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »
The Dubs, and especially Curry, made some absolutely sick plays in the game last night.  But what an unbelievable stretch of basketball over the last 2 weeks or so with wins over OKC, Memphis, Houston (twice), San Antonio, and Washington.  Magic number down to 2!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #382 on: April 04, 2017, 08:39:33 AM »
Well, Dubs can lock up the #1 tonight with a win and a Spurs loss.  Go Grizz!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #383 on: April 04, 2017, 08:42:58 AM »
Warriors look great right now, and apparently Durant is coming back on Saturday. They're going to be hard to beat. Meanwhile my Raptors have clawed their way back to the third seed. I hope that Boston finishes second so that we can play them and potentially prove the doubters wrong. :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #384 on: April 04, 2017, 08:49:48 AM »
I hope that Boston finishes second so that we can play them and potentially prove the doubters wrong. :metal

Meh, let them take the #1, and just silence the doubters by beating the Cavs and then beating the Celtics.