Author Topic: EPIC/EMOTIONAL Progressive Metal Albums  (Read 1565 times)

Offline bassbangered

• Media Manager | Bass Player | Hero in Training! 💪🏻
EPIC/EMOTIONAL Progressive Metal Albums
« on: June 19, 2016, 09:16:16 PM »
Hi guys!

I recently made a video of the top 25 most Epic Progressive/Symphonic Metal Albums from 1999-2016 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syqKYhFcYqQ) and I wanted to ask you guys to recommend me other epic prog/symphonic metal albums to listen to. I like prog metal that leans more to the cinematic/epic side than technical. I love albums that are grandiose, varied and full of emotion (maybe that's why I love musicals too). Thanks in advance!

-Eddie

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: EPIC/EMOTIONAL Progressive Metal Albums
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 09:23:56 PM »
Hmm........I feel like this is a prime oppurtunity to shamelessly pimp myself a little bit.

I happened to make a prog/symphonic emotional concept album! You can check it out at https://fanticide.bandcamp.com/album/the-fall-of-grace .

Might not be in anyone's top 25, but who knows? Maybe you might like it a little.

Ill check out your vid too :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 09:26:37 PM »
if you want emotional prog metal albums, any early pain of salvation is your jam  :tup
the perfect element I and remedy lane especially

Offline Adami

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 09:27:44 PM »
if you want emotional prog metal albums, any early pain of salvation is your jam  :tup

I cannot stress this enough.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bassbangered

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 09:30:07 PM »
Awesome! I'll check out your album, Adami! And will listen to the Pain of Salvation albums ;)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 09:45:12 PM »
Hmm........I feel like this is a prime oppurtunity to shamelessly pimp myself a little bit.

I happened to make a prog/symphonic emotional concept album! You can check it out at https://fanticide.bandcamp.com/album/the-fall-of-grace .

Might not be in anyone's top 25, but who knows? Maybe you might like it a little.

Have you made any more copies? I'd still like a physical copy with the updated mix and fixed audio error.

Offline Adami

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 09:46:14 PM »

Have you made any more copies? I'd still like a physical copy with the updated mix and fixed audio error.

Haven't made any pro pressings (that stuff is expensive and I'm a broke grad student). But I could always make you a CD-R ;)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 09:50:52 PM »

Haven't made any pro pressings (that stuff is expensive and I'm a broke grad student). But I could always make you a CD-R ;)

But I can do that myself! Alright, I'll wait until you're a super mega star, and I can go into..... Amazon and buy it.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 10:00:36 PM »
I'd recommend Native Construct's Quiet World. One of the best prog metal albums I've heard in a long time; it's very grandiose/theatrical, sounds like the kind of thing that might be up your alley.

Also The Ocean's Pelagial, if you like harsh vocals.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 10:27:19 PM »

I would agree with both of these.

Also...

You mentioned Myrath in your video, how about Orphaned Land? Much more epic/emotional than Myrath IMO with the same inclusion of Middle-Eastern-style music.

Ayreon? The very definition of epic.

While Heaven Wept is, I guess, 'technically' Epic Doom Metal but there's enough crossover appeal to prog and power metal fans.

Evergrey focuses more on emotions than technicality and epic-ness, but it might be worth checking out.

Also, if you dig death vocals, old-school Opeth was pretty heavy on the epix and emotion.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 12:28:43 PM »
Off the top of my head - all clean vocals, all use orchestration:

Beyond the Bridge (male/female vocals)
Amberian Dawn (female vocals)
Kamelot (male dominated vocals, with some female vocals)
The ANABASIS (shameless plug - male vocals)
Serenity (male/female vocals)
Vanden Plas (male vocals)
Savatage (male vocals)
Phantasma (male/female vocals)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 05:22:37 PM »
Hi guys!

I recently made a video of the top 25 most Epic Progressive/Symphonic Metal Albums from 1999-2016 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syqKYhFcYqQ) and I wanted to ask you guys to recommend me other epic prog/symphonic metal albums to listen to. I like prog metal that leans more to the cinematic/epic side than technical. I love albums that are grandiose, varied and full of emotion (maybe that's why I love musicals too). Thanks in advance!

-Eddie

You picked some killer albums in your list already. It'll be hard to choose some that rival those, but I will.  ;)

Adagio - Underworld (2003)
Angra - Temples of Shadows (2004)
Ayreon - The Human Equation (2004)
Lost in Thought - Opus Arise (2011)
Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance (2002)
Shadow Gallery - Room V (2005)
Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating By The Stars (2005)  - This isn't as epic sounding but it's one of the best, and most underrated, prog metal albums ever.

Other albums from those bands are also excellent choices.

Offline Adami

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 05:31:31 PM »
Underworld and Celestial Enterance are both awesome epic albums, but emotional? Not even a little.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bassbangered

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 10:31:44 PM »
Guys! Thank you for your suggestions! I loved Beyond the Bridge's The Old Man and the Spirit. It reminded me a lot of DT's Scenes from a Memory-era and had some influence from Jesus Christ Superstar. Now I'm going to start listening to Ayreon as it seems they lean more towards the "Rock Opera" genre and I think that's what I'm looking for. Thanks again!  ;)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 10:41:51 PM »
Haken - The Mountain is absolutely one of the most incredibly personal and emotional albums I've ever heard.   But it might be just when I heard it.    I was going through a VERY difficult time emotionally, and suddenly there was this album that said, "Why do we climb mountains? Because they're there!  Why don't we view our personal mountains with the same sense of vision, adventure and hope?"   It was a jawdrop moment for me.  Changed my whole outlook.

Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane is just *gut wrenching* with how emotional it is.   It's not very common that someone gets THAT personal.   I believe I heard that "A Trace of Blood" was based on personal experience.....if so, that's an incredibly personal thing to write about in so much detail.   Makes me so sad.   I think the only song I can think of that gets to that level of personal emotional evisceration is "Me and a Gun" by Tori Amos.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 10:51:48 PM »
Even though it was already mentioned, I'll echo The Human Equation by Ayreon - it's FULL of emotions! ;-)

Also, Haken's Visions and The Mountain, two of my favorite albums in recent years, very emotional, musically and lyrically, lots of moving stuff on there.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!