Author Topic: The Ask twosuitsluke Thread  (Read 109977 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Ask hefdaddy42 Thread
« Reply #1050 on: December 22, 2016, 08:37:24 AM »
It was over a decade ago the only time we met, and at that time I was relatively new to the forum, and frankly I don't know if you have any specific memory of meeting me at the Score meetup. Now, all this time later, if I was finally able to make it down to North Carolina for a day, what would you plan to do during an all day man date?
Take you on a scenic drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and eat some legendary North Carolina pulled pork barbecue.  Maybe get all dressed up like grownups and hit a jazz club that night, and drink scotch and tell manly tales.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1051 on: December 22, 2016, 08:41:56 AM »
Hef, now that I live in North Carolina, I want to drive up and go on this man date with you sometime.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1052 on: December 22, 2016, 08:42:37 AM »
Hef, now that I live in North Carolina, I want to drive up and go on this man date with you sometime.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1053 on: December 22, 2016, 03:45:15 PM »
Describe me in a short but meaningful sentence.
Noted Mexican keyboard player/playboy Lalo Marine is my friend.

Also, everyone should buy his band's CDs, because they are progaliciously fantastic (Tangerine Circus).
So awesome  :heart
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1054 on: December 22, 2016, 05:11:31 PM »
How many times have you seen Dream Theater?
Twice:

1) April 1, 2006 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.  They heard I was coming, so they arranged to have an orchestra and record it on video for posterity.  I believe you were there as well (in fact, I could swear I've seen you on the DVD).

2) December 5, 2016 at Durham Performing Arts Center in Durham, NC.  I was able to take my daughters and we had the best time ever.  The full story (with pics) is related in the appropriate thread in the Concerts subforum.

I can't believe you've only seen them twice but then I keep forgetting your area was passed over many times.

How do you like you filet mignon cooked? Be mindful there is only one right answer.  ;)
You are right, there is only one right answer.  Medium rare.

Fixed.   ;)

Are you a morning person?
I am a morning person, but I can go all night if I have to.

Tease

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1055 on: December 23, 2016, 04:54:17 AM »
Truth isn't a tease.  It is only a precursor to a wider reality.

THAT is a tease.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1056 on: December 23, 2016, 07:23:57 AM »
I don't feel so teased anymore.  ;)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1057 on: December 23, 2016, 11:12:03 AM »
 :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1058 on: December 23, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »
What's the weirdest food you've ever tried?

Do you cook, and if you do what's your specialty?

Do you just have the one gigantour sibling?

Do you think Trump's balls are spray tanned the same color?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1059 on: December 23, 2016, 07:38:06 PM »
What's the weirdest food you've ever tried?

Do you cook, and if you do what's your specialty?

Do you just have the one gigantour sibling?

Do you think Trump's balls are spray tanned the same color?
Not sure what is considered weird.  I have had squirrel,  possum,  goat, and rattlesnake.

I don't cook very much,  but I can grill a steak.

Yep, one big ugly brother.

No,  I doubt he has the balls to mess with his balls.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1060 on: December 23, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »
Sure, some of those are kind of weird. Though I also mean things like Morzeddhu alla Catanzarisi. It has tripe, liver, spleen, and lung in this extremely tasty sauce.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1061 on: December 24, 2016, 07:20:53 PM »
Sure, some of those are kind of weird. Though I also mean things like Morzeddhu alla Catanzarisi. It has tripe, liver, spleen, and lung in this extremely tasty sauce.
Never heard of that, but I will try anything once.

IfI like it,  I might try it twice.

Offline Tomislav95

Re: The Ask Nick Thread
« Reply #1062 on: December 27, 2016, 05:32:38 PM »
Ask Nick this week.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1063 on: December 27, 2016, 05:39:04 PM »
Ask Nick this week.
I will try anything once.

If I like it,  I might try it twice.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1064 on: December 27, 2016, 05:46:05 PM »
Nick, I know what line of work you're in, so forgive me if this is crude or whatever, but can you share the top three most "interesting" stories from on the job?  Whatever makes them interesting is up to you.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1065 on: December 27, 2016, 06:46:45 PM »
Down here Aria charges $999 to grill your loved one. Where is the overhead? Is it labor intensive? Regulatory hassle?

What's the cheapest somebody could be buried within the law? I assume not just anybody is allowed to dig a hole. Does a burial have to be in a cemetery, or could "out back, behind the tool shed" be an option?

Legal matters aside, would you actually want to be embalmed and buried in a hermetically sealed box when your time comes? That always seemed contrary to the nature to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1066 on: December 27, 2016, 06:48:52 PM »
...or kept in a freezer in the basement?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1067 on: December 27, 2016, 09:58:34 PM »
Nick, I know what line of work you're in, so forgive me if this is crude or whatever, but can you share the top three most "interesting" stories from on the job?  Whatever makes them interesting is up to you.

The most interesting is certainly an involved one, so let's start with that. I had just started in the business, hired mainly as night/weekend help as removal personnel, essentially fetching bodies. At that point I wasn't licensed (or even considering getting my license) and would only go to nursing homes or hospitals by myself, and house calls were always done with a funeral director. One of my very first removals (probably 3rd or 4th) was a house call for a man who had shot himself out on his porch. Family was all gone when we got there and it was only police and coroner personnel, and I got my first glimpse into the gorier side of the business. As we assessed the decedent to decide how we wanted to get him loaded the director told me to look up, and there in a cobweb on the patio roof was a fragment of the man's skull.

And that's not what makes this story interesting. My day job at this time was at a full service gas station, and our most frequent customer was a good friend of the owner. He travelled a ton for his work and would always get gas with us, to the point he was in every other day or so. He would eventually ask for my help on his days off and I started working with him. He had two businesses, one was to install garage doors and garage door openers, and the other was more interesting, prepping appliances for moves and building on site crates for valuables to be moved, and doing the breakdown and setup if we were at the destination on the move. To say I saw some rich houses doing this is an understatement. We went to Philly and NJ suburbs of NYC, drug company CEOs, guys with classic car collections, that sort of stuff. People who often had paintings and TVs being crated that were probably worth 5x more than my car at the time. I loved working for this guy to, and to this day is the BEST boss I ever had. Great communicator, treated me well, and set me up to do well. All these years later I'd happily spend my off day working $8 an hour again for a few days working with him. But I digress...

As we worked together I found out his wife worked for a cemetery locally within my company (the corporation I work for owns 100+ funeral homes and 400+ cemeteries), and eventually I would learn a little bit about his son. I found out he had died and that my funeral home had actually handled his funeral. Over my time working with him I learned more about how his son died and were he lived and details like that, and eventually I pieced it all together... that was his son I had picked up that night. I never told him I was there, and that connection remains with me to this day as my ultimate example of how it can be a very small world sometimes.

I feel like the next story could be a bit lighter, so let's talk about the Krowitz Memorial Media Center. I worked in deathcare Allentown for 12 years, but only 4 of those were as a licensed funeral director.  And there was one family who I got along with extremely well. There were four kids, and when their dad died I handled the services. After that I helped design their stone at the cemetery and oversaw the installation, and also pre-needed their mother. Then when the mother passed I handled that funeral as well. They must have liked me as they gave me what was by far the largest tip I ever received. If I get 2-3 $50 tips in a year I'm happy, and I certainly don't expect any. Transplants from NJ or NY tend to be the ones you'll see tipping, as it's more engrained in the culture there. Anyway, the Krowitz family sent me a thank you note with a $250 check, and since I was running very low on CD/DVD space at the time I used it to buy a ~1500 unit CD/media tower that I refer to as the Krowitz Memorial Media Center.

And now we'll flip again to a tear jerker. About a year before I left Allentown to pursue opportunities elsewhere I had a house call in Coopersburg where a man had been living on hospice care with his brother. They had a dog there as well, a bigger one, a golden retriever I believe. When it came time for us to approach with our equipment the dog hopped up on the bed, sobbing, as much as a dog can sob, and shaking head to toe, just absolutely trembling over his dead owner. We gave the dog time, tried to pet him and slowly lead him away, but he would not budge. Eventually the brother just had to pick him up and then hold him back so we could take the man out of the house. I've seen similar things before, but never quite to that extent.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1068 on: December 27, 2016, 10:17:44 PM »
Down here Aria charges $999 to grill your loved one. Where is the overhead? Is it labor intensive? Regulatory hassle?

What's the cheapest somebody could be buried within the law? I assume not just anybody is allowed to dig a hole. Does a burial have to be in a cemetery, or could "out back, behind the tool shed" be an option?

Legal matters aside, would you actually want to be embalmed and buried in a hermetically sealed box when your time comes? That always seemed contrary to the nature to me.

There are some states where cremation is high and often inexpensive. If $999 includes everything that's relatively cheap. All said and done in Allentown you would be paying closer to $1,500 at the cheapest place, and closer to $2,700 at the place I worked. Where I am now it would be about $2,200. Most places like the one you're talking about are probably cremation factories, basically. They often don't offer services, and in general are light on the service and compassion, but you get what you pay for. If you just want them to pick up, fry, and get you back the remains with no fuss, well, then that's what you're going to get. One major cost is simply having staff or a service to pick people up 24/7 and get them back into your care. Then actually having licensed staff to meet families, and maintaining and running a retort or multiple retorts. Frankly I'd rather take the time and care to help 50 families at $2200 then 200 at $999. Labor intensive, kinda. Someone should stay with the retort for the entire cremation (1-4 hours depending on many factors), but the amount of time you are actually working during that might only be 30-45 minutes. EPA monitors the emissions from our stack (of which there should hopefully be none), but otherwise it's not too closely monitored at the federal level.

For your second question, and to tie into your first question, let me say there is some federal regulations on funeral service, but lots of things vary from state to state, so it'll always differ, and I have no clue for your state. In most counties around here if no one steps up to the plate to take charge on funeral services the county coroner will cremate the body and bury the remains in an unmarked potter's field. So really you're getting buried (after cremation) for $0. If you actually want to pay for services and don't want cremation you need to find a green cemetery, or be Muslim or Jewish and be buried in one of their cemeteries. Muslims are often buried without caskets or vaults, and Jews often without vaults. Green cemeteries may not require caskets or vaults either. So all you're left with is the digging of the hole and the funeral home's charge for immediate burial (which is usually around the cost of a direct cremation). There are also national cemeteries if you're a veteran, which will provide a grave, vault, marker, and opening/closing (digging of the grave) for free to almost any veteran.

Before I get to my plan, most caskets are NOT a truly hermetically sealed containers, they are something different and are very rarely ever used.

For me, I will be embalmed so that I can have a public viewing and service. That's the most important part of the grief process for most people. I will be placed in a Batesville Clifton cremation casket. During my viewing music I have pre-selected will be playing. I have not had the reason to really start compiling this yet, but obvious choices like The Spirit Carries On and Life Will Kill You (The Flower Kings) will certainly be on there. My service will be humanistic, with the primary focus simply being on people getting up and sharing stories about my life and our times together. I will then be cremated and have my ashes split between whatever my closest family is at that time and whichever of my closest friends are still alive. They can either keep them or simply spread them at a location that meant something to us.

...or kept in a freezer in the basement?

Unfortunately some horrendous stuff happens. Not a freezer, but not far away in Lancaster: https://lancasteronline.com/news/local/funeral-home-director-benjamin-siar-gets-more-prison-time-for/article_c413a4b2-b518-11e3-8d68-001a4bcf6878.html
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1069 on: December 27, 2016, 10:40:36 PM »
So, Walter can't bring in a Folger's Coffee Can to receive Donnie's ashes?  That's certainly cheaper than your most modestly priced receptacle.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1070 on: December 27, 2016, 10:42:05 PM »
So, Walter can't bring in a Folger's Coffee Can to receive Donnie's ashes?  That's certainly cheaper than your most modestly priced receptacle.

This particular dude abides. If the family has an urn (or urn equivalent) they wish to use, then so be it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1071 on: December 28, 2016, 07:13:42 AM »
:clap:

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1072 on: December 28, 2016, 08:43:51 AM »

This particular dude abides. If the family has an urn (or urn equivalent) they wish to use, then so be it.

ummmm my father-in-law is currently in a folgers can because we knew he would find it funny. It's a plastic one tough, we couldn't find the aluminum ones anymore!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1073 on: December 28, 2016, 04:20:04 PM »
MOAR QUESTIONS!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1074 on: December 28, 2016, 04:24:43 PM »
How old is the oldest cell in your body?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1075 on: December 28, 2016, 04:25:57 PM »
If I beat and tortured you, and doused you in toxic chemicals, would you be my Harley Quinn?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #1076 on: December 28, 2016, 04:47:22 PM »
How'd you find out about Dream Theater?
This site?
What made you want to join?
What do you like about Dream Theater?
What is your favorite song/album by Dream Theater? Why?
What is your top three favorite band of all time?

What do you think of Sterling Archer?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1077 on: December 28, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »
If someone presented you with a button, and told you that pushing this button will brutally and painfully murder a random DTF member, and that if you chose not to push it, they would quickly and painlessly kill Kotowboy, would you push the button?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1078 on: December 28, 2016, 06:47:26 PM »
How old is the oldest cell in your body?

Google says about 10 years old.

If I beat and tortured you, and doused you in toxic chemicals, would you be my Harley Quinn?

I would be... extremely angry.

How'd you find out about Dream Theater?
This site?
What made you want to join?
What do you like about Dream Theater?
What is your favorite song/album by Dream Theater? Why?
What is your top three favorite band of all time?
What do you think of Sterling Archer?

I found out about Dream Theater searching around for music very early in my musical exploration days. If I recall correctly two of the first videos I watched were for Lie and As I Am. Not sure how I found this site, it was DT.net back then and I didn't really belong actively to many message boards and seemed like a nice enough one, and so I joined in Dec. 2003.

What I liked about Dream Theater for many years was their combination of technicality with amazing songwriting. Live, I loved that I could go to multiple shows on a tour and never knew what the setlist might be (this was years ago of course). My favorite album for many years was Train of Thought, and I've always said I love that album because Dream Theater does heavy metal better than any band that does it full time. Over the years I've changed that to my 2nd favorite behind Scenes From a Memory, which is one of my 10 favorite albums of all time.

My two favorite bands have always been Rush and Dream Theater, and I have a tattoo of each dedicated to what each have meant to my life. Behind that it's always been more wide open. Right now that third spot would have to go to Haken.

I have a tendency to like morally terrible characters way too much, and so it is with Archer. Obviously not someone to look up to in many ways, but certainly very entertaining within the show.

If someone presented you with a button, and told you that pushing this button will brutally and painfully murder a random DTF member, and that if you chose not to push it, they would quickly and painlessly kill Kotowboy, would you push the button?

It would only be fair not to push the button... for the merciful death. Thank you for your sacrifice KTB.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1079 on: December 28, 2016, 07:00:17 PM »
What is it about your personality that you think most irked John Wesley?
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1080 on: December 28, 2016, 07:07:46 PM »
I've seen you on my floor in my living room..  Give others the fun stories following Haken for 5 shows on the last tour or I will spill details.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1081 on: December 28, 2016, 07:42:48 PM »
What is it about your personality that you think most irked John Wesley?

He was probably intimidated by my extreme manliness.

I've seen you on my floor in my living room..  Give others the fun stories following Haken for 5 shows on the last tour or I will spill details.

To be honest there was a lot of travel involved, and so perhaps not as many stories as there could be. The highlight was definitely the dinner we had in Boston with all the folks from Haken. At prior shows we would hang out near the venue for a bit or backstage after soundcheck for a bit, things like that, but we didn't have too much time in any of the cities. On our short travel days (Buffalo>Toronto and Montreal>Quebec City) is when we did the most exploring. Got to see Niagara Falls for the first time which was awesome, and then in Quebec City we visited an old fortress which was cool and then spent some time in a barcade for the first time.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1082 on: December 28, 2016, 08:09:41 PM »
I love Quebec City besides the people who hate you don't speak French.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1083 on: December 29, 2016, 08:29:47 AM »
Have you ever smelled Mike Mangini's hair?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1084 on: December 29, 2016, 08:57:49 AM »
1.  When you first started modding at what was DTF.com (prior to becoming 5/8), some folks were overly critical of you being a moderator.  Fast forward to 2016.  You are one of the reasons this place runs as smoothly as it does and why the band is happy this place exists.  What do you feel is your role in all that, and what do you think were some of the keys of your success in being a forum moderator?

2.  What memories/perspectives can you share of the progression from dt.net/bb to dtf.com to 5/8 to dtf.org?

3.  If there is one thing you would like people who do not mod a forum to know about The Mod Life, what would it be?

4.  You like (or liked) a lot of bands whose hey day slightly precedes you, like Def Leppard, for instance.  How did you get into some of those bands?  Were your parents into them, so you got into them by virtue of hearing them a lot as you were growing up?  Did you just gravitate toward the music on your own?  Something else?

5.  Should I re-open P/R?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:06:53 AM by bosk1 »