Author Topic: The Ask twosuitsluke Thread  (Read 109989 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The hefdaddy42 Thread
« Reply #1015 on: December 19, 2016, 09:53:06 PM »
What's you least favorite Dream Theater song?

When did you stop growing your hair?

Have you been practicing your whahibrido pickingant?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1016 on: December 19, 2016, 09:55:08 PM »
If you had to put together a capsule of humanity to send out into space (essentially a big box of stuff to represent the species to aliens) what would you put in it? Can't be anything huge like a car.

If you could only give your children one piece of advice for the rest of their lives, what would it be?

What the hell ever happened to AndyDT?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1017 on: December 20, 2016, 06:56:38 AM »
What's you least favorite Dream Theater song?
Hard to choose between You Not Me, Raw Dog, Prophets of War, and The Answer Lies Within.

When did you stop growing your hair?
I'm pretty good, but I haven't been successful at convincing my hair to stop growing.  But I started shaving my head Father's Day weekend of 1993.

Have you been practicing your whahibrido pickingant?
As we speak.  Er, type.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1018 on: December 20, 2016, 07:00:50 AM »
If you had to put together a capsule of humanity to send out into space (essentially a big box of stuff to represent the species to aliens) what would you put in it? Can't be anything huge like a car.
I wouldn't want to bullshit the aliens, so I would try to put things that show the best of us and what we can achieve (great works of art and literature, pics of architecture, the Magna Carta and the US Constitution) and examples of the worst of us (accounts/pics of slavery, lynchings, atrocities in other countries) and the power of the human will (the pic/story of the monk immolating himself in protest).

If you could only give your children one piece of advice for the rest of their lives, what would it be?
Love with your whole heart - don't hold back anything.

What the hell ever happened to AndyDT?
I can't talk about that.  I signed a waiver.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Ask hefdaddy42 Thread
« Reply #1019 on: December 20, 2016, 07:32:07 AM »
How come I didn't get bad ass questions like that?   The kids question(s), time capsule... you guys are really picking up the level in here.  NICE!

You win a raffle; you can select one piece of technology from Best Buy to walk out the door.  No accessories, no cables, all that is on you, but you get to walk out with one box as long as you can carry it out the door without help.  Your choice?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1020 on: December 20, 2016, 07:57:11 AM »
You win a raffle; you can select one piece of technology from Best Buy to walk out the door.  No accessories, no cables, all that is on you, but you get to walk out with one box as long as you can carry it out the door without help.  Your choice?
I am content with my TV and cell phone.  But my wife is passionate about photography, so if I could get anything, I would get her the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Super-Telephoto Lens (retails for over $16,000).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1021 on: December 20, 2016, 08:02:09 AM »
$16,000.00?!?!  Holy crap!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1022 on: December 20, 2016, 08:09:40 AM »
$16,000.00?!?!  Holy crap!
Yeah, exactly.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1023 on: December 20, 2016, 08:09:56 AM »
She's reading this, isn't she.  ;)   

Nice pick, though, seriously.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1024 on: December 20, 2016, 08:15:45 AM »
She's reading this, isn't she.  ;)   
Her, read a DT forum?  Not a chance in hell.

Nice pick, though, seriously.
*bows with a flourish*

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1025 on: December 21, 2016, 06:48:25 AM »
Almost 24 hours with no new questions?

I'm crushed.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: December 21, 2016, 06:57:15 AM »
Where the fuck is the PR section? It's BROKE!   (I'm kidding; not a question).

I understand you're a fan of the cigar; I'm not, but my friends are, and often enjoy one after a nice meal.  Living where you do, what's your favorite food?

Other than DT, what's your go-to band?

What do you think of Kiss?

Are you native to NC?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1027 on: December 21, 2016, 07:22:53 AM »
Hef, How did you meet your wife? You are very supportive and a loving husband.  I always love hearing these stories.

What sports did you grow up playing and did you play at the high school level?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1028 on: December 21, 2016, 08:02:31 AM »
Where the fuck is the PR section? It's BROKE!   (I'm kidding; not a question).
Trust me, not the first time this has happened.  Hopefully it makes a successful return at some point, and hopefully it will be more R than P.

I understand you're a fan of the cigar; I'm not, but my friends are, and often enjoy one after a nice meal.  Living where you do, what's your favorite food?
Living where I do, you know that one of my favorite foods is pulled pork barbecue.  Mmmmmm.  Of course, it's hard to beat a nice filet mignon.  I also love Japanese and Mexican cuisine.

Other than DT, what's your go-to band?
Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Haken, LTE, Opeth, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, anything with Chris Thile, anything with Bela Fleck, also John Hiatt, and you can't go wrong with Miles Davis, John Coltrane, or Kamasi Washington.

What do you think of Kiss?
I like Kiss, but honestly, I don't love them.  However, my brother LOVES them, and he has seen them live several times.  He may be the world's biggest Kiss fan (literally; see his height/weight listed in a prior answer).

Are you native to NC?
I am.  Born and raised in Hickory.  A year and a half at NC State in Raleigh.  After misadventures born from immaturity in Raleigh, more time in Hickory.  After getting my shit together, three and half years at Appalachian State University in Boone.  After graduation, moved to Mount Airy (my wife's home town) and got married.  Lived there 17 years.  Relocated to Raleigh this summer.

I'm a Tar Heel born and a Tar Heel bred, and when I die, I'll be a Tar Heel dead.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: December 21, 2016, 08:21:13 AM »
That all rings a bell; I think we've talked about this before.  I was responsible for the management of the closed GE plant in Hickory, and when we (GE) bought the company "Interlogix", a security company, we had a regional headquarters in Hickory.  Beautiful there.    When I lived in Charlotte, we vacationed a couple times in Boone.   Loved that as well. 

North Carolina is easily in the top five "most beautiful states".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1030 on: December 21, 2016, 08:21:59 AM »
Hef, How did you meet your wife?
I was in college in Boone, NC.  My roommate "met" a girl in an online chat room (remember those?).  One night when I got home from work, my roommate said that his friend had another friend over at her house who was bored because his friend was spending all her time online with my roommate, and would it be OK if the friend called and spoke with me a little while to kill some time.  I said "Sure, why not?"  Well, the conversation was really good (lasted almost two hours).  She called back the next night.  At any rate, we really hit it off through phone conversations that week, and decided to meet.  She came up to visit that next weekend, and we hung out together for a few hours.  THAT went very well, also, so the next weekend I drove to her town and took her out.  We knew pretty quickly that it was the real deal.  We've been together ever since.

You are very supportive and a loving husband.
Aw, thanks honey.

I always love hearing these stories.
Glad to tell them.

What sports did you grow up playing and did you play at the high school level?
I was not athletic as a child.

In middle school, I played soccer and basketball, but I wasn't that good.  Mostly because I was only playing because all my friends were playing.  I didn't really care that much.

But I learned to like basketball, and started playing all the time.  I played whenever and wherever I could.  When I got to high school, it was a MUCH bigger school, and I was a little intimidated, so I didn't bother going out in 9th or 10th grade.  I went out for the team as a junior, but didn't make it (a questionable decision on the coach's part, IMHO). 

I didn't bother trying out again my senior year, but after seeing them play, I knew I could have made that team. lol

I kept being a gym rat, and went off to school at NC State in Raleigh.  While there, I spent a LOT of time in the gym, and really got pretty good.  I played pickup games with a lot of guys, including current and former players for the school's team.  I got to where I could dunk, and that was fun.  I also once blocked a dunk attempt by a seven-footer who had exhausted his eligibility with the school team.  That was fun.

Then I pulled a hamstring, and my vertical leap disappeared.  Then I eventually got married with kids, and I haven't played basketball in at least 10 years.

Oh, I also attempted high school football in 9th grade.  That didn't last very long lol.  But my love of football didn't materialize until after that anyway.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1031 on: December 21, 2016, 08:23:27 AM »
That all rings a bell; I think we've talked about this before.  I was responsible for the management of the closed GE plant in Hickory, and when we (GE) bought the company "Interlogix", a security company, we had a regional headquarters in Hickory.  Beautiful there.    When I lived in Charlotte, we vacationed a couple times in Boone.   Loved that as well. 

North Carolina is easily in the top five "most beautiful states".
:tup :tup  Indeed.  We have so many different climates here, from mountains to piedmont to sandhills to coastal plains to beaches.  From a pure environment/nature standpoint, I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1032 on: December 21, 2016, 08:28:44 AM »
What country would you most like to visit?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: December 21, 2016, 08:45:37 AM »
I was in college in Boone, NC.  My roommate "met" a girl in an online chat room (remember those?).  One night when I got home from work, my roommate said that his friend had another friend over at her house who was bored because his friend was spending all her time online with my roommate, and would it be OK if the friend called and spoke with me a little while to kill some time.  I said "Sure, why not?"  Well, the conversation was really good (lasted almost two hours).  She called back the next night.  At any rate, we really hit it off through phone conversations that week, and decided to meet.  She came up to visit that next weekend, and we hung out together for a few hours.  THAT went very well, also, so the next weekend I drove to her town and took her out.  We knew pretty quickly that it was the real deal.  We've been together ever since.

That's awesome and so old-school.    It's your wife, though, I don't think I would call it "driving her to town".  It's a little crass.  Go with "making love" or "sealing our love".  Something romantic.    :)   

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1034 on: December 21, 2016, 08:47:40 AM »

That's awesome and so old-school.    It's your wife, though, I don't think I would call it "driving her to town".  It's a little crass.  Go with "making love" or "sealing our love".  Something romantic.    :)

It's like a landline based form of Tinder.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1035 on: December 21, 2016, 08:56:54 AM »
lol  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1036 on: December 21, 2016, 08:57:48 AM »
What country would you most like to visit?
England.  The UK.  The Country Formerly Known As The Coolest Member Of The EU.

Whatever term works best these days.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1037 on: December 21, 2016, 04:30:05 PM »
How come I didn't get bad ass questions like that?   

I didn't get them either.  I guess they don't like us.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1038 on: December 21, 2016, 04:31:50 PM »
If you could eliminate any one law in America (preferably one that is regularly enforced) which would it be?

And

If you could create any one new law in America, what would it be?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1039 on: December 21, 2016, 09:23:57 PM »
Favorite kind of cigar?
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1040 on: December 21, 2016, 09:35:02 PM »
Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Haken, LTE, Opeth, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, anything with Chris Thile, anything with Bela Fleck, also John Hiatt, and you can't go wrong with Miles Davis, John Coltrane, or Kamasi Washington.

We have almost identical favorites, except that LZ and VH stuff.

How many times have you seen Dream Theater?

What's your favorite Neal Morse solo album and have you ever seen him live? Are you a member of his Inner Circle fan club?

How do you like you filet mignon cooked? Be mindful there is only one right answer.  ;)

Are you a morning person?

Who is your favorite writer?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1041 on: December 22, 2016, 02:43:22 AM »
Can I take a picture of myself in the reflection of your head?

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1042 on: December 22, 2016, 06:47:58 AM »
If you could eliminate any one law in America (preferably one that is regularly enforced) which would it be?
I would remove the age limit to claim a child for a tax credit on income taxes.  Currently it is 17, but I want it as long as the child lives with the parent.

If you could create any one new law in America, what would it be?
Election Day would be a national holiday, and not only would it be like other national holidays, where only government offices and financial institutions are closed, but every business would be heavily incentivized to close or otherwise allow their employees time to go vote.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1043 on: December 22, 2016, 06:53:55 AM »
Favorite kind of cigar?
My favorite that I can get regularly is the Padron Serie 1926 No. 1 Maduro Double Corona.  A little pricy, but excellent.  I also really like the Oliva Serie G Churchill Maduro.  A new favorite is the Wrath Maduro Churchill, made by a subsidiary of Oliva.  I also have heard great things about the Liga Privada No. 9, and I have one that I've been saving to smoke on Christmas Day when my brother visits.

Best one I've ever smoked, though, was a Cuban Cohiba, that may or may not have been illegally smuggled into the country by a relative of mine.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1044 on: December 22, 2016, 06:59:43 AM »
Twice:

1) April 1, 2006 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.  They heard I was coming, so they arranged to have an orchestra and record it on video for posterity.  I believe you were there as well (in fact, I could swear I've seen you on the DVD).

2) December 5, 2016 at Durham Performing Arts Center in Durham, NC.  I was able to take my daughters and we had the best time ever.  The full story (with pics) is related in the appropriate thread in the Concerts subforum.

What's your favorite Neal Morse solo album and have you ever seen him live? Are you a member of his Inner Circle fan club?
My favorite is the Question Mark album, which narrowly beats out One.  I have not had the fortune to see him live, although I would love to.  I am not a member of the fan club.

How do you like you filet mignon cooked? Be mindful there is only one right answer.  ;)
You are right, there is only one right answer.  Medium rare.

Are you a morning person?
I am a morning person, but I can go all night if I have to.

Who is your favorite writer?
Stephen King

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1045 on: December 22, 2016, 07:00:06 AM »
Can I take a picture of myself in the reflection of your head?
No.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1046 on: December 22, 2016, 07:41:03 AM »
Describe me in a short but meaningful sentence.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1047 on: December 22, 2016, 07:55:05 AM »
Describe me in a short but meaningful sentence.
Noted Mexican keyboard player/playboy Lalo Marine is my friend.

Also, everyone should buy his band's CDs, because they are progaliciously fantastic (Tangerine Circus).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1048 on: December 22, 2016, 07:58:29 AM »
It was over a decade ago the only time we met, and at that time I was relatively new to the forum, and frankly I don't know if you have any specific memory of meeting me at the Score meetup. Now, all this time later, if I was finally able to make it down to North Carolina for a day, what would you plan to do during an all day man date?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: December 22, 2016, 08:25:27 AM »
Twice:

1) April 1, 2006 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.  They heard I was coming, so they arranged to have an orchestra and record it on video for posterity.  I believe you were there as well (in fact, I could swear I've seen you on the DVD).

2) December 5, 2016 at Durham Performing Arts Center in Durham, NC.  I was able to take my daughters and we had the best time ever.  The full story (with pics) is related in the appropriate thread in the Concerts subforum.

I really wish I was more active on the forum in those days. I would've loved to have met some of you guys.