Author Topic: The Ask twosuitsluke Thread  (Read 109994 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Ask Adami Thread
« Reply #910 on: December 06, 2016, 06:06:49 PM »
Adami.  I've listened to your music over the years.  Do you find that you are influence but the styles of the time or certain style you love?  IE: Electronica, writing style, ect..

Also I know you are a big Comic book fan.  What are some of your favorite characters?

For your first question, I think I have a general core sense of influence on what I want out of a song, but I'm always trying to challenge that and explore new territories. If I just do "my" thing, I'll end up doing semi-lengthy, epic metal. Which is why I try genres that I am not super familiar with, such as industrial, acoustic, rock n roll, electronic and so forth. Always trying to find a new language essentially to say what I want.

Oh man, the comic question is hard. Deadpool (at least the good versions of him) will always be my favorite. Beyond him, I really love Silver Surfer, Captain America, Peter Parker, Sentry, the new Ms. Marvel, Rocket Racoon, Richard Rider and just so many more. All Marvel since I'm a Marvel guy, but there are also lots of versions of those characters that I can't stand, really depending on the writer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #911 on: December 06, 2016, 06:07:35 PM »
Do you prefer current hefdaddy42 or 2007 deity-era hefdaddy42?

In the immortal words of Dolly Parton, I will always love you.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #912 on: December 06, 2016, 11:43:45 PM »
Dear Adami,

Why does it hurt when I pee?
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #913 on: December 07, 2016, 12:06:14 AM »
You have a PhD in psychology, right? What branch did you specialize in and what was your thesis on?

Online Adami

« Reply #914 on: December 07, 2016, 12:12:38 AM »
Dear Adami,

Why does it hurt when I pee?

You know damn well why!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #915 on: December 07, 2016, 12:15:07 AM »
You have a PhD in psychology, right? What branch did you specialize in and what was your thesis on?

Heh, I do not actually.

I have two Master's. One in clinical psych, one in Middle Eastern history.

However, I'm currently getting a PsyD (Doctorate of Psychology) in clinical psychology. 2.5 years left (long degree).

But, if it helps, my thesis for my last master's was "A Psychosocial Narrative of Palestinian Violent Resistance". I haven't started my doctoral dissertation yet (really should have though) but it will focus on the search for the authentic sense of self for transgender Jews.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #916 on: December 07, 2016, 12:32:33 AM »
Interesting topics. What made you decide on those?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #917 on: December 07, 2016, 07:58:16 AM »
Do you prefer current hefdaddy42 or 2007 deity-era hefdaddy42?

In the immortal words of Dolly Parton, I will always love you.
:heart
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #918 on: December 07, 2016, 04:20:59 PM »
 :'(
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Adami

« Reply #919 on: December 07, 2016, 04:22:59 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #920 on: December 07, 2016, 05:51:21 PM »
Thank you. Now for a proper question.

I believe you have traveled a bit, and so if there is one policy or system in another country you could implement in America, what would it be?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #921 on: December 07, 2016, 07:17:08 PM »

But, if it helps, my thesis for my last master's was "A Psychosocial Narrative of Palestinian Violent Resistance".
How would you explain it in Haiku?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #922 on: December 07, 2016, 07:32:50 PM »

The Israeli/Palestinian conflict is dear to my heart. One of the most important things to me that I want to continue working in (writing about). I was living in Israel noticing (during way) that Israelis had no clue why Palestinians were continuing to violently revolt when they were being so harshly beaten by the army, so I wanted to write about that exact reason.

And for the transgender Jew thing, honestly, my other ideas were shot down and I wanted something that was niche and hadn't been talked about much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #923 on: December 07, 2016, 07:33:52 PM »

But, if it helps, my thesis for my last master's was "A Psychosocial Narrative of Palestinian Violent Resistance".
How would you explain it in Haiku?

Israel beats them down
Violence begets more violence
Nothing comes of it

Assuming violence is two syllables and not three.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #924 on: December 07, 2016, 07:36:25 PM »
Thank you. Now for a proper question.

I believe you have traveled a bit, and so if there is one policy or system in another country you could implement in America, what would it be?

Ohhh good question!

Less Americans :-D

Seriously though, good public transportation in every major city and between cities. I traveled through Europe and lived in Israel without ever really needing a car, can't say that in LA.

Also making cities more walker friendly. We should be walking places, not driving everywhere. I know the East Coast does this already, but most of the country hasn't figured out walking yet.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #925 on: December 07, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »
The Montreal subway system  (The Metro) is sooooo of much faster and smoother than the (T) in Boston.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #926 on: December 07, 2016, 08:03:01 PM »

The Israeli/Palestinian conflict is dear to my heart. One of the most important things to me that I want to continue working in (writing about). I was living in Israel noticing (during way) that Israelis had no clue why Palestinians were continuing to violently revolt when they were being so harshly beaten by the army, so I wanted to write about that exact reason.

And for the transgender Jew thing, honestly, my other ideas were shot down and I wanted something that was niche and hadn't been talked about much.

Were you born in Israel? I'd like to read that paper, if you don't mind of course.

You must have found it exceedingly difficult to find research on transgendered Jews, no?

Online Adami

« Reply #927 on: December 07, 2016, 08:12:36 PM »

Were you born in Israel? I'd like to read that paper, if you don't mind of course.

You must have found it exceedingly difficult to find research on transgendered Jews, no?

I was born in Jerusalem, technically Israel ;). And yea, shoot me your e-mail address and I can send you a PDF of it.

And my research will mostly be looking at identity development for transgender folk, Jewish folk and I'll synergize the two. There is some small amount of research on transgender Jews though. (Also it's transgender, not transgendered)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #928 on: December 07, 2016, 08:33:46 PM »

I was born in Jerusalem, technically Israel ;). And yea, shoot me your e-mail address and I can send you a PDF of it.

And my research will mostly be looking at identity development for transgender folk, Jewish folk and I'll synergize the two. There is some small amount of research on transgender Jews though. (Also it's transgender, not transgendered)

I see what you did there.  ;)

I'll shoot you my email address.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #929 on: December 07, 2016, 10:24:45 PM »

Seriously though, good public transportation in every major city and between cities. I traveled through Europe and lived in Israel without ever really needing a car, can't say that in LA.

Also making cities more walker friendly. We should be walking places, not driving everywhere. I know the East Coast does this already, but most of the country hasn't figured out walking yet.
Where have you found the best inter and intra city rail? The more I travel the more I appreciate good public transportation. DC and DF both do it very well. As for regional rail, like you said, that's not something we do, which is a damn shame. I recall thinking very highly of the ICE.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #930 on: December 07, 2016, 11:13:59 PM »
Honestly, I don't remember the specifics in Europe because it's been almost 10 years since I was there, but I did travel from Ireland to Wales to England to Scotland to Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany etc, all without every using a plane and I got around in each of these countries just on buses and trains, though the trains in northern Europe were pretty awesome.

I'm more familiar with public transit in Israel which is amazing. You can literally go anywhere in Tel Aviv and 10 buses will come to take you anywhere within an hour. You can get from any point A to any point B without a lot of hassle. The buses are generally pretty nice and the trains are even nicer. In Jerusalem there's a light rail that goes around the whole city. It's just amazingly easy to get anywhere anytime. I used to travel from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv multiple times a week for school and it was just so god damn simple once you knew how to yell at people properly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #931 on: December 08, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »
Jeez.  I came in with like five questions, but after reading the ones asked already, I have to step up my fucking game.  "What's your favorite TV show" pales in comparison to the Palestine/Israeli conflict, and transgender Jews.  :)

So...

DO you see differences between Israeli Jews and American Jews?

How do I get to hear your music? 

What country has your favorite food?

You've mentioned LA; what other parts of the US have you experienced? 

What do you think of Thomas Friedman's writings? 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #932 on: December 08, 2016, 11:36:26 AM »
If you could transform yourself into a superintelligent shade of any color in the visible spectrum, what shade of blue would you be and why?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #933 on: December 08, 2016, 12:50:48 PM »
Jeez.  I came in with like five questions, but after reading the ones asked already, I have to step up my fucking game.  "What's your favorite TV show" pales in comparison to the Palestine/Israeli conflict, and transgender Jews.  :)

So...

DO you see differences between Israeli Jews and American Jews?

How do I get to hear your music? 

What country has your favorite food?

You've mentioned LA; what other parts of the US have you experienced? 

What do you think of Thomas Friedman's writings?

Actually, favorite TV show would have been a more difficult question. So thanks for not asking it.  ;D

Differences between Israeli and American Jews? Sure, but lots of Israeli Jews are American or are decedents of Americans, so it's all a bit blurry. There's not a huge amount of difference, except for how much they know about the ground situation. Liberal Jews are liberal in both countries, and conservative are the same in either country. I guess it really depends on region, upbringing and a ton of other factors. However, American Jews are more likely to be super militant about Arabs because it has no direct effect on them.

You can hear my music at fanticide.bandcamp.com (this links to just one song for some reason, but the page has a link to my full album on it)

Favorite food? Oh man that's tough. Oddly enough, I'd say America only because the huge amount of options. Of course some countries have better versions than America ever could. If I want good middle eastern food, I'm going to Israel, not anywhere in America. If I wanted good Gelato, I'm going to Rome. Etc. But I'm not a big foodie, I eat really basic stuff sadly. My palate is my enemy.

I currently live in LA, but I was born in Israel and grew up for the first few years in Florida then until I was 21 in St. Louis. I've also lived in Chicago, Portland, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and....I think that's it. But I've traveled all over and hope to live in New York or the East Coast some day (assuming I can afford it).

I have to look up Thomas Friedman, hold up......

Yup, dude sounds nuts. At least that's what I gather from his Wiki. Anyone who defends barbaric actions or terrorism is not my kind of guy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #934 on: December 08, 2016, 02:04:24 PM »
If you could transform yourself into a superintelligent shade of any color in the visible spectrum, what shade of blue would you be and why?

I would choose the previously unknown shade called HefBlueHimself because any other shade would be a poor imitation at best.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #935 on: December 08, 2016, 02:42:37 PM »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #936 on: December 08, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »
Why didn't you like my cooking?

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #937 on: December 08, 2016, 10:02:01 PM »
Interesting thread!

Hm...how'd you find out about Dream Theater? This site? What prompted you to join?

Online Adami

« Reply #938 on: December 08, 2016, 10:07:47 PM »
I was wondering how long it would take before a DT question popped up!

Hmm. My memory is a bit fuzzy. I think a highschool friend of mine recommended them to me. So I downloaded (back in the Limewire days) Metropolis Pt. 1. I remember thinking that I loved the music but hated the vocalist. Asked my mom to get me Metropolis Pt. 2 for my birthday (that was the new release at the time). Eventually I came to appreciate James (even prefer his solo albums to recent DT albums).

This site.....can't remember. I think I've been involved one way or another since the early 2000's, but like I said, my memory is really fuzzy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #939 on: December 08, 2016, 10:12:02 PM »
I'm glad it popped up! And nice answer! Thank you for taking the time to remember and answer.

Online Adami

« Reply #940 on: December 09, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #941 on: December 12, 2016, 10:14:21 PM »
Adami, how would you describe life in a sentence?

What's your most memorable Dream Theater lyrics that strike a chord with a you?

Using Dream theater references, answer this question. How are you today?

Online Adami

« Reply #942 on: December 12, 2016, 10:24:39 PM »
Adami, how would you describe life in a sentence?

What's your most memorable Dream Theater lyrics that strike a chord with a you?

Using Dream theater references, answer this question. How are you today?

Man, I really feel like I should be a bigger DT fan to answer these properly, but I'll give it a whirl.

Life is until it isn't (sorry, but honestly that's the best I can come up with without writing out a ton).

I don't know if any DT lyrics really strike a personal chord with me, but I've always been a huge admirer of the lyrics to Lines in the Sand.

How am I today, using only DT lyrics? Hmmm......like a scream, but sort of silent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #943 on: December 12, 2016, 10:32:04 PM »
All great answers! Sorry about the Dream Theater one.

Since today might be your last day....

1) favorite band and why?
2) what do you love to do in your spare time?
3) what's your favorite book? TV show? Movie? Actor?
4) what song says it all about your current life?
5) what action by the opposite sex is a turn off?
6) what do you not mind splurging on?
7) if you could go anywhere right now, where'd you be?

Thanks in advance Adami! For your time and answers!

Online Adami

« Reply #944 on: December 12, 2016, 10:44:29 PM »
No need to thank me, I'm happy to do anything that doesn't involve the paper I actually should be writing.

Let's see...

1) Pain of Salvation. I haven't really dug their last few releases a lot, but their earlier stuff, specifically The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane still makes me cry to this day. I have listened to Idioglossia dozens of times by now, and I still tear up every single time I hear that damn song. I find their music to be written from such an emotional core that conveys such poetic views of the best and worst aspects of humanity and I just love it. As I said in their thread, Daniel Gildenlow could release an album of him pissing into a piano while chanting about the size of his penis and I'd buy it day of release.
2) I love to watch way too much TV (Netflix and Hulu keep me way too occupied) and write my own music (link below). When I lived in Chicago and Israel I loved going on long walks, but it's not as fun here in LA. Oh, I also love baking.
3) Favorite book is the Divine Comedy (I tend to collect copies). TV show is...tough....probably something related to Star Trek or Stargate, but I love TV. Movie? Even harder, for the one I can watch over and over, that'll be the directors cut of That Thing You Do! and for what I consider to be the best movie, it's Dogville by Lars Von Trier. Actor, maybe Daniel Day Lewis.
4) What song says it all about my current life? I dunno, are there any songs about a guy getting a doctorate and having no life? Let me know!
5) Lack of empathy. I broke up with two girlfriends because of their general lack of empathy, it's just not tolerable for me. Also chewing with your mouth open. Stop that!
6) Movies, music, musical gear and anything related to baking.
7) Right now I'd go hang out with Hef, but that's always my answer. Besides that, I'd love to go back to south-west Ireland. God damn magical place right there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com