Author Topic: The Ask twosuitsluke Thread  (Read 110005 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Ask axeman90210 Thread
« Reply #840 on: November 22, 2016, 06:05:22 AM »
Bill, why do you torture yourself with the Jets? :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #841 on: November 22, 2016, 08:17:29 AM »
Axe, how did you get into the whole beer brewing thing?

It happened when I moved to Boston for grad school. I had taken the first steps into general beer geekdom in my last year as an undergrad, and then I moved to Boston to start on my Master's Degree and found myself with a ton of downtime (class was only three days a week) and some disposable income (had a pretty sweet TA gig at the school). Started going out more to beer bars and beer festivals and even trading beer in the mail. I also had some extended family up there who I spent a lot of time with and they encouraged me to take the homebrewing plunge and bought me a starter kit for my birthday that spring. I brewed sparingly for the first two years or so, and only got more serious when a beer I entered into a contest on a whim ended up doing pretty well. For the last four years I've been pretty serious about it, I probably brew a five gallon batch (~ two cases of 24 12oz bottles) about every other weekend on average. I've done well in regional competitions (had five out of nine beers I entered medal for their categories in a local NJ competiton last month), but still looking to crack through nationally (there's a big national competition every spring). It appeals to me because it's a really cool blend of science and art. On one hand I have to know how the resting temperature when I soak the grains in water will affect enzymatic activity and ultimately the kinds of sugars that will make it into the beer, and on the other hand things like hop and yeast selection and handling are much more of an art and how you project they'll interact and shine through in the final project. I love all of it, and I'd love to make it a career some day.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #842 on: November 22, 2016, 08:18:50 AM »
Bill, why do you torture yourself with the Jets? :neverusethis:

Because I'm a masochist :lol My dad's a Giants fan so I don't know why I decided on this life of misery, but God help me I love that bunch of losers.
Photobucket sucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #843 on: November 22, 2016, 08:32:57 AM »
You have any appreciation for wine at all?

You strictly an ale guy, or do you enjoy lagers, as well?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #844 on: November 22, 2016, 09:01:36 AM »

I haven't found much of an appreciation for white wine, but I love a glass of good red wine with steak or some pasta dishes. I just don't know much about it. I'd like to change that at some point, but for now world class beer is, by and large, a fair bit cheaper than world class red wines so I stick with that.

I enjoy pretty much any style of beer, including lagers. I don't care for the mass produced stuff, though I'll drink it if that's what it comes to, but there are some craft breweries out there making great pilsners and other types of lagers.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #845 on: November 22, 2016, 09:04:44 AM »
In as much detail as possible, can you please explain your love for me?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #846 on: November 22, 2016, 09:07:33 AM »
In as much detail as possible, can you please explain your love for me.

You're alright.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #847 on: November 22, 2016, 09:34:30 AM »
Explain why you are an axeman, why you love Beverly Hills?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #848 on: November 22, 2016, 09:52:41 AM »
I know the answer to the bolded part.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #849 on: November 22, 2016, 10:41:08 AM »

This username goes back to middle school when I was using AOL. It probably should have been axman as I picked it because I was starting to play guitar, but I've just been too lazy to change it anywhere. Way back then it was axeman918, and I know the 918 meant something but I can't remember what it is anymore :lol By the time I signed up at DT.net it had evolved to 9182 because my original AOL account got hacked.

Veronica got in the habit of typing my username with any combination of numbers besides 9182 (except for one time when she slipped up, hence the "and Veronica knows my name!" text under my name), eventually settling on 90210. Eventually one of the mods just changed that to display as my username (I still log in using 9182) :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #850 on: November 22, 2016, 12:02:26 PM »
Eventually one of the mods just changed that to display as my username (I still log in using 9182) :lol
:hat
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: November 22, 2016, 12:04:16 PM »
Eventually one of the mods just changed that to display as my username (I still log in using 9182) :lol
:hat

^^^*Outs himself as a fan* :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #852 on: November 22, 2016, 12:08:52 PM »
I could change it back if you want.

However, it's been this way for a while now.  It might be weird to look at it the "right" way now  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: November 22, 2016, 12:11:59 PM »
Bill's maiden name before he married DTF. :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #854 on: November 22, 2016, 12:19:15 PM »

I haven't found much of an appreciation for white wine, but I love a glass of good red wine with steak or some pasta dishes. I just don't know much about it. I'd like to change that at some point, but for now world class beer is, by and large, a fair bit cheaper than world class red wines so I stick with that.

I enjoy pretty much any style of beer, including lagers. I don't care for the mass produced stuff, though I'll drink it if that's what it comes to, but there are some craft breweries out there making great pilsners and other types of lagers.
Man, not down here. Dallas is undergoing a beer renaissance, but if it's not an ale it just doesn't exist. The people who actually know what a lager is all drink fucking Pabst Blue Ribbon. As for me, I asked the questions because I lost my taste for beer after the transplant--don't ask why. I drink white wine now, however, I still dig the shit out of an icy cold Czech pilsner, so feel free to toss out any suggestions for stuff that might exist down here.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #855 on: November 22, 2016, 02:23:48 PM »
I could change it back if you want.

However, it's been this way for a while now.  It might be weird to look at it the "right" way now  :lol

Yeah, we're fine to leave it as is. I normally don't even notice it, took a minute for the Beverly Hills thing to click.

Man, not down here. Dallas is undergoing a beer renaissance, but if it's not an ale it just doesn't exist. The people who actually know what a lager is all drink fucking Pabst Blue Ribbon. As for me, I asked the questions because I lost my taste for beer after the transplant--don't ask why. I drink white wine now, however, I still dig the shit out of an icy cold Czech pilsner, so feel free to toss out any suggestions for stuff that might exist down here.

Interesting that you had your taste change after the surgery. Someone in one of my homebrew clubs had something similar happen after getting I think gastric bypass surgery. It's been almost a year and I think he's said his sense of taste is getting back to normal.

I'll ask around about lagers down your way (I'm assuming the Dallas area?). I know a few people who probably have a better idea than I do.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: November 22, 2016, 02:29:20 PM »
That's awesome axe, I'd love to try a beer of yours sometime.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #857 on: November 22, 2016, 02:43:38 PM »
I'll have to do a bit of bottling over the next couple months for two competitions early next year (usually I just keg everything), I could fill a couple extra and send them out :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: November 22, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »
I've got an awesome question Bill. 

When are we going to get together to have a collaboration on brewing a beer?  You, my brother and I!!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #859 on: November 22, 2016, 03:07:16 PM »

Interesting that you had your taste change after the surgery. Someone in one of my homebrew clubs had something similar happen after getting I think gastric bypass surgery. It's been almost a year and I think he's said his sense of taste is getting back to normal.

I'll ask around about lagers down your way (I'm assuming the Dallas area?). I know a few people who probably have a better idea than I do.
Yeah, Dallas. We have dozens of microbreweries now, and you can't walk down the street without somebody throwing a growler of some oddball porter at you. They just won't make cold fermented beer. Closest you can get is a couple of them are making kolsch.

And it's not that my sense of taste changed. It's my tastes have changed, for some reason. They actually advised me going in that it might happen. People either start to love something they previously hated, or start to hate something they used to love. Go figure.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #860 on: November 22, 2016, 03:09:06 PM »
And back to the questions, if you were to meet up with Joe and his brother for an evening of beer drinking, how many beers will you have already consumed before you even get there?  :lol
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: November 22, 2016, 03:25:45 PM »
Oh El Barto.   We drink all day when brewing. The skies the limit. :lol

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #862 on: November 22, 2016, 03:42:57 PM »
I've got an awesome question Bill. 

When are we going to get together to have a collaboration on brewing a beer?  You, my brother and I!!

As soon as you guys decide to come down to the NYC area :biggrin: He who has no driver's license has a hard time getting up by your neck of the woods. Looks like I'll be at Hill Farmstead twice in the span of a week early next month though :D

And back to the questions, if you were to meet up with Joe and his brother for an evening of beer drinking, how many beers will you have already consumed before you even get there?  :lol

Several, pre-gaming is always important :lol

That's interesting about your taste, the guy I mentioned I'm pretty sure it was more of a case of things tasted different than they had before.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: November 22, 2016, 03:48:01 PM »
No Hill for me until the new year.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #864 on: November 22, 2016, 04:00:12 PM »
I think I'm doing a daytrip on 12/2 with a buddy, Hill/Alchemist/Tree House (that last one time permitting). Then going up again on the 7th, Hill and then spending the night in Waterbury. Alchemist and Tree House on the way back Thursday.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: November 22, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »
I was just at Trillium in Canton.  I need to hit Tree House soon.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #866 on: November 22, 2016, 08:43:30 PM »
Dear axeman90210, if you had to choose only one brewery to drink the beer of for the next five years (assuming their current quality and basic lineup would stay the same), which brewery would it be?

Also, when are you coming back to Denver?
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #867 on: November 22, 2016, 10:17:39 PM »
Dear axeman90210, if you had to choose only one brewery to drink the beer of for the next five years (assuming their current quality and basic lineup would stay the same), which brewery would it be?

Also, when are you coming back to Denver?

It's a toss up for me between Hill Farmstead and Firestone Walker. Those are the two breweries where they brew everything from a classic pilsner to hoppy American IPAs to sours and big barrel aged beers and all of them are world class.

Sadly no current plans to make it back to Denver anytime soon :(
Photobucket sucks.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #868 on: November 25, 2016, 07:16:36 AM »
Axe

If you could chose one pokemon to represent you.....which one would it be?
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #869 on: November 27, 2016, 02:33:15 AM »
That makes sense. Variety is important!
And  :sadpanda:

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #870 on: November 27, 2016, 06:17:43 AM »
Axe

If you could chose one pokemon to represent you.....which one would it be?

This was a tough one. I'm going with Squirtle, because he seems like he likes to have fun but is also fairly laid back.

That makes sense. Variety is important!
And  :sadpanda:

Yeah, I'd really like to get out there again, preferably not during the insanity of GABF, but I've already got a few other trips lined up this year.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #871 on: November 27, 2016, 12:16:33 PM »
Alright guys, last day. Feel free to ask me about something besides beer :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #872 on: November 27, 2016, 12:35:56 PM »
What's your favorite drink, besides beer? :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #873 on: November 27, 2016, 01:01:13 PM »
What's your favorite drink, besides beer? :lol

Beyond beer the beverage I probably drink the most of/know the most about (though I definitely don't know a ton about it) is whiskey. I'm a fan of everything from bourbon through rye and scotch, and I usually have a couple half empty bottles on hand for the occasional nightcap. Lately I've been enjoying a bottle of Willett's 3 year rye, which I bought at the distillery after a very cool experience there. I ended up in a group of 11 people that got a private tour from the master distiller, which mostly consisted of him leading us up and down stairs in the rickhouse, stopping occasionally to drill a hole in a barrel and run off enough for all of us to sample. I've also got a bottle from there of a 13 year bourbon single barrel that they bottled at cask strength (~65%ABV that I'm saving for a special occasion). Balvenie 12 is my regularly available go to if I'm just drinking on a random night.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #874 on: November 27, 2016, 11:28:33 PM »
What are your biggest pet peeves in people?

What are you predictions for 2017 celebrity deaths?