Author Topic: The Ask twosuitsluke Thread  (Read 110022 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Ask Stadler Thread
« Reply #805 on: November 15, 2016, 12:25:01 PM »
Must admit, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Hank Jr. as well.  Of course, part of that  is that my Dad loved him, and that is nostalgic for me - still a little piece of him to hold on to, now that he's gone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #806 on: November 15, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »
when I think of Alabama, I think of the late 70's when on the radio all you would here every hour was Alabama, The Little River Band and Kenny Rodgers like clockwork.

When I think of Alabama, I think of Cathy.  There was a lot of wine, and Alabama on the stereo.  I don't usually drink wine, and I know I've never listened to Alabama (although I'd heard of them), but it was her house, her rules.  We listened to an album all the way through, or maybe it was only one side, but I can't say I remember any of it.  We went to a different room after a while.

Sorry to derail with an Orbert story, but I do owe one particularly amazing night to Alabama, even if I couldn't tell you the first thing about their music.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: November 15, 2016, 11:33:59 PM »
I always read these posts, as they are a fun and interest read, but never post anything. Am willing to sign up for a turn if still taking new names.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #808 on: November 16, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »
when I think of Alabama, I think of the late 70's when on the radio all you would here every hour was Alabama, The Little River Band and Kenny Rodgers like clockwork.

When I think of Alabama, I think of Cathy.  There was a lot of wine, and Alabama on the stereo.  I don't usually drink wine, and I know I've never listened to Alabama (although I'd heard of them), but it was her house, her rules.  We listened to an album all the way through, or maybe it was only one side, but I can't say I remember any of it.  We went to a different room after a while.

Sorry to derail with an Orbert story, but I do owe one particularly amazing night to Alabama, even if I couldn't tell you the first thing about their music.
Well, it's country, but they were a real band, not a singer with an overtwanged voice and a backup band with a steel guitar.  For me, their best feature was their accessible melodies and vocal harmonies.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #809 on: November 16, 2016, 10:18:13 AM »
I do seem to remember nice harmonies.  Also, I was wrong; I could tell you the first thing about their music: it's Country.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #810 on: November 16, 2016, 10:23:22 AM »
:clap:

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #811 on: November 16, 2016, 10:24:47 AM »
In way late, I'll add my name to the list of participants if so desired.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #812 on: November 16, 2016, 10:33:33 AM »
Stadler, favorite concert you've ever been to?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #813 on: November 16, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »
Ooh, that's a good question.  I've seen almost 400 shows, +/-, so there's a lot to choose from.   

My first is up there:  Iron Maiden opening for Judas Priest on the Number.../Screaming... tour (1982).

Believe it or not, Page/Plant at the Nassau Coliseum was awesome.  I've recounted this before, but "The Song Remains The Same" is probably the single greatest moment I've ever experienced at a show.  It was mesmerizing.

Deep Purple on the Purpendicular tour; I was third row, and I've never seen a band so tight as when the break on "Woman From Tokyo" ended, there was a pause, and the entire band when to 11 in a nanosecond.

Blackmore's Night about a month ago; Ritchie is just beyond words. 

Yes on the 90210 tour, during "Hearts" with all the lasers, that was amazing.

Maiden on the Piece of Mind tour; Dickinson's mike was out for the first verse of "Where Eagles Dare"; I was about five rows from the stage on the side, and I swear I could hear him singing acoustically over the (amplified) band. (I could DEFINITELY see him ripping a new ass for the roadie on the side of the stage during the solo. ;) ).

Marillion at Toad's Place on the Seasons End tour.

Stevie Ray Vaughan in the cold rain on the back of a flatbed truck in front of 1000 hung over UConn students, playing as if his life depended on it. 

Kiss' homecoming show in Madison Square Garden on the first reunion tour.  Gene was on FIRE. 

Billy Joel has to be in there somewhere (I've seen him about 10 times). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #814 on: November 16, 2016, 11:33:40 AM »
That Dylan and Brandon were all over the stage Stadler.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #815 on: November 16, 2016, 11:35:55 AM »
Stadler - where's Waldorf?
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: November 16, 2016, 12:11:30 PM »
See above; we're a little bit in a "Simon and Garfunkel" mode now.   He's pissed at me and needs a break.  We'll get it worked out, though.  ;)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #817 on: November 16, 2016, 12:13:32 PM »
EVEn though Statler is the proper spelling. ;) It's what I think of whenever I see your name.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #818 on: November 16, 2016, 05:04:30 PM »
I've been watching The Muppet Show since its original run and never made the connection.  Partly because I just think of Gene, because of the avatar, but possibly because I knew the name was Statler and Statler ^= Stadler so it never clicked.

Wouldn't the correct question would be "where's Waltorf?"?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #819 on: November 16, 2016, 05:06:11 PM »
I suppose if you're implying a dyslexic phenomenon, sure.

I was just making a funny.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #820 on: November 16, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »
Me too, I thought.  :-\

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #821 on: November 16, 2016, 06:12:32 PM »
I got it. I think I swung and missed on my initial attempt and it just went downhill from there.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #822 on: November 16, 2016, 07:43:15 PM »
Dear lord, we're pathetic.

I just figured that... no, explaining it would make it even worse.

Ha

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #823 on: November 16, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »
Favorite comic book super hero?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #824 on: November 16, 2016, 08:04:11 PM »
1 - What kind of jazz, if any, do you listen to, or have listened to in the past?

2 - Have you ever heard Gary Burton play the vibes?  ♫♫  If not, you should.  He is astounding.

3 - Here is some Gary Burton for you to check out, along with Chick Corea. Oh, I guess that's not really a question. Sorry.

"Crystal Silence"
Gary Burton - Vibes
Chick Corea - Piano

"Armando's Rumba"
Gary Burton - Vibes
Chick Corea - Vibes, Piano

"La Fiesta"
Gary Burton - Vibes
Chick Corea - Piano

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #825 on: November 16, 2016, 08:35:05 PM »
I've been watching The Muppet Show since its original run and never made the connection.  Partly because I just think of Gene, because of the avatar, but possibly because I knew the name was Statler and Statler ^= Stadler so it never clicked.

Stadler and Worbert?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #826 on: November 17, 2016, 07:32:51 AM »
Chick Corea can do no wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: November 17, 2016, 08:20:45 AM »
Favorite comic book super hero?

AWESOME QUESTION.

I grew up a HUGE fan of comics (and got a letter published in Flash! I thought I was on the road to stardom!).   The two from growing up were Green Lantern and Fantastic Four.   I liked '40's Batman, and especially the Neil Adams/Denny O'Neil Batman from the late '60's, early 70's.  I DESPISED the cartoony Batman from the 50's.

Now? Batman all the way.  I joke with my daughter that I AM Batman (if you saw me, that's the joke), and she even got me a shirt that says "I'm not saying I'm really Batman, but you've never seen us in the same place, have you?" or something like that.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: November 17, 2016, 08:21:03 AM »

Stadler and Worbert?

I don't know how to answer that.  :)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #829 on: November 17, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »
You've mentioned in more than a few places that Genesis' In the Cage medley is one of your all time favorite pieces of music.  Which version do you prefer the most, the Three Sides Live version, the Mama tour version, the Invisible Touch version, or the 2007 version? 

Also, when was the last time you vomited, and what caused it? ;D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: November 17, 2016, 02:34:55 PM »
You've mentioned in more than a few places that Genesis' In the Cage medley is one of your all time favorite pieces of music.  Which version do you prefer the most, the Three Sides Live version, the Mama tour version, the Invisible Touch version, or the 2007 version? 

I like the song, generally, but the "favorite version" is the live version from the Three Sides Live ALBUM (the video version is from a different night).  It may all be in my head, but I feel like you can actually HEAR the band take it to the next level once the medley part kicks in, and the portion just as the Afterglow section starts is almost the perfect example of "release" in music.  I love everything about that specific recording.

Ugh, I just wrote in the "Are You A Good Liar?" thread that I try to live a life of authenticity, so I guess you take the good with the bad:   Probably about a month ago, and it was a deadly combination of Guiness, red wine, and scotch on an empty stomach.   If it matters (and I feel it does) the last time before THAT was about three years ago and it was the stomach flu.   

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #831 on: November 17, 2016, 02:36:07 PM »
Is that when you vomited? ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: November 17, 2016, 02:37:16 PM »
Is that when you vomited? ;)
HA!  No.  You were in before the edit.  :)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #833 on: November 17, 2016, 02:39:31 PM »
:lol

That sounds like an awful combination to bring back up.

What is your favorite academic subject to study/read about/pursue now outside of any type of curriculum?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: November 17, 2016, 02:42:04 PM »
:lol

That sounds like an awful combination to bring back up.

What is your favorite academic subject to study/read about/pursue now outside of any type of curriculum?

Now?  Psychology.  I am FASCINATED by psychology, and in fact, I considered going back and taking classes right after my divorce.    I may still do it. 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #835 on: November 17, 2016, 02:45:41 PM »
Nice, I minored in psych. Enjoyed every bit of it, but had no desire to pursue it as a profession.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #836 on: November 17, 2016, 03:04:42 PM »

I like the song, generally, but the "favorite version" is the live version from the Three Sides Live ALBUM (the video version is from a different night).  It may all be in my head, but I feel like you can actually HEAR the band take it to the next level once the medley part kicks in, and the portion just as the Afterglow section starts is almost the perfect example of "release" in music.  I love everything about that specific recording.

That's definitely not in your head.  Once Phil takes over on drums, it goes to a whole new level.  His drumming through to Afterglow is some of the most ferocious drumming I've ever heard.

I like the 84 medley for it's inclusion of In That Quiet Earth, and I like the 86 version for the fact that it goes into the end of Supper's Ready.  I've always wanted to perform the 84 version with a full performance of In That Quiet Earth coming out of The Cinema Show.  I should talk to my co-worker Nick, since he's done a few Genesis-related things in the past.  ;)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: November 18, 2016, 07:31:13 AM »

That's definitely not in your head.  Once Phil takes over on drums, it goes to a whole new level.  His drumming through to Afterglow is some of the most ferocious drumming I've ever heard.

I like the 84 medley for it's inclusion of In That Quiet Earth, and I like the 86 version for the fact that it goes into the end of Supper's Ready.  I've always wanted to perform the 84 version with a full performance of In That Quiet Earth coming out of The Cinema Show.  I should talk to my co-worker Nick, since he's done a few Genesis-related things in the past.  ;)

That would be VERY cool; if you ever get to something listenable (what I mean is, if it ever gets committed to tape or file) please let me know.

Offline Tomislav95

Re: The Ask axeman90210 Thread
« Reply #838 on: November 22, 2016, 03:17:05 AM »
Ask axeman90210 this week.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Ask axeman90210 Thread
« Reply #839 on: November 22, 2016, 05:28:30 AM »
Axe, how did you get into the whole beer brewing thing?