Author Topic: The Ask twosuitsluke Thread  (Read 109970 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: The Ask Zantera Thread
« Reply #770 on: November 10, 2016, 12:58:49 AM »
is A Year With no Summer really post-metal though? I don't really think so, the sound is hugely different from the bands Zantera mentioned.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Ask Zantera Thread
« Reply #771 on: November 10, 2016, 02:10:46 AM »
I liked A Year With no Summer (IMO it wasn't that far off their first album) and I probably would consider it Post-Metal, just operating in a different part of the spectrum to some of those other bands. I hope they stick with the sound because I think they can make an album like that, but even better.

Offline Tomislav95

Re: The Ask Stadler Thread
« Reply #772 on: November 14, 2016, 07:41:22 AM »
New week, new host: ask Stadler.
Stadler, what does Stadler mean? :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #773 on: November 14, 2016, 07:44:17 AM »
Well, it means I'm an idiot.   

I was going for "Statler and Waldorf" from the Muppets.  You know, the two old guys that just sort of watch and critique?   Statler is the tall skinny guy, and Waldorf is the short, heavier one.   Since I'm rather short and stocky, I should be Waldorf, but alas I got them confused and went with Statler, then compounded the problem by spelling his name wrong.   :)   Win win all around.  :)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #774 on: November 14, 2016, 07:56:49 AM »
That's actually a cool story :biggrin:
What's your favorite DT album? How did you discover this place?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #775 on: November 14, 2016, 08:05:19 AM »
I always thought Statler was spelled Stadler, so I didn't even question that it was a muppet connection.

Who would be a good Waldorf to your Statler?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #776 on: November 14, 2016, 08:13:24 AM »
I'd like to sign up for a week of questions.

@Stadler

If a crazy scientist was forced to enhance your brain's ability to sense the world around it (see or hear more of the light or sound spectrum, magnetically detect the poles in your head, ultra sense of touch, etc..), what would you want? 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #777 on: November 14, 2016, 12:06:21 PM »

Images and Words, and it really isn't even close.  That's a top ten all time record for me.   Love every aspect of it (even the legendary "triggered drums").  First time I heard it (I bought it on release) I was blown away.  Maiden meets Rush with Steve Perry singing.    I'm in!

This place?  A fellow former tipped me off, and I think it was to be a patsy in his football pool.  :) 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #778 on: November 14, 2016, 01:07:39 PM »

Images and Words, and it really isn't even close.  That's a top ten all time record for me.   Love every aspect of it (even the legendary "triggered drums").  First time I heard it (I bought it on release) I was blown away.  Maiden meets Rush with Steve Perry singing.    I'm in!
I was thinking Maiden meets Rush but with Michael Kiske singing! :lol

Stadler, I don't know about you, but I&W came just in time. Grunge was taking over. Metallica wimped out. Thought Queensryche/Megadeth/Dio/Helloween all took steps back. Gary Moore stopped playing rock. I was really wondering when the next biggest band would come from. Then BAM, here they were!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: November 14, 2016, 01:13:28 PM »
I'd like to sign up for a week of questions.

@Stadler

If a crazy scientist was forced to enhance your brain's ability to sense the world around it (see or hear more of the light or sound spectrum, magnetically detect the poles in your head, ultra sense of touch, etc..), what would you want?

Hmmm.  I don't know if I'm answering your question, but I am an information junkie, so I would love to know what other people are thinking (maybe the magnet thing will help with this?) and I would like to be able to have x-ray vision.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: November 14, 2016, 01:17:45 PM »

I was thinking Maiden meets Rush but with Michael Kiske singing! :lol

Stadler, I don't know about you, but I&W came just in time. Grunge was taking over. Metallica wimped out. Thought Queensryche/Megadeth/Dio/Helloween all took steps back. Gary Moore stopped playing rock. I was really wondering when the next biggest band would come from. Then BAM, here they were!

I know this makes no sense (given the knocks against LaBrie) but Kiske was the kind of guy I was looking to move away FROM.    I wasn't into Metallica then (I got into them when they wimped out!) or Megadeth (can't really get past Mustaine's voice) but I was a NWOBHM/Bach 'n' Roll guy, so after everyone started to copy Bruce Dickinson (my favorite front man of all time) things got a little dicey for me.  I like 'Rhyche (they were great live) but Tater annoyed me even then, and I lost interest in Dio after Goldy.    I always thought - probably wrongly - that Kiske was too over the top.

And while I got into Soundgarden, the Mother Love Bone and Pearl Jam later, Nirvana was lost on me.  I'm sure it's me, not everyone else, but for the life of me, I'm missing the "legend" part of Kurt Cobain.  I knew guys in college that were doing that same shit back in '87 for six people in the ROTC building.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #781 on: November 14, 2016, 03:24:23 PM »
  I'm sure it's me, not everyone else, but for the life of me, I'm missing the "legend" part of Kurt Cobain.

You're not alone.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #782 on: November 14, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »
Hm, looks like this is running out of people, so sign me up if it's still around in a few weeks.

Stadler, when are you coming to LA so we can hang out?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #783 on: November 14, 2016, 03:31:57 PM »
Stadler, as we get older our taste and perceptions change. Tell me about your music history and how that has changed.

Also is your political views different from your youth?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: November 14, 2016, 05:14:45 PM »
Hm, looks like this is running out of people, so sign me up if it's still around in a few weeks.

Stadler, when are you coming to LA so we can hang out?

I'd love that!  I haven't been to LA in a while (going on ten years now), but I lived in Burbank for a while and worked about a block from where the Winery Dogs did their first album (I think; Mike sent a tweet with a  "where are we" quiz, if I remember right).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: November 14, 2016, 05:44:29 PM »
Stadler, as we get older our taste and perceptions change. Tell me about your music history and how that has changed.

Also is your political views different from your youth?

Music:  first record I ever got was Snoopy and the Red Baron on 7" single, but my parents were big into country (mom loved Elvis, dad loved Kris Kristofferson, both loved Big John Cash).   Every Saturday my aunt would bring over a big stack of records, and we'd listen to country all night on my dad's kick ass Fisher sound system.    I got into Billy Joel and the Bee Gees early, but most of my early listening was on WICC, an AM radio station in my area.   Stuff like "Dream Weaver" from Gary Wright, "December, 1963" from Frankie Avalon, "Baker Street" from Gerry Rafferty.   Then I got Kiss Alive II and things changed.   My Mom got me the Beatles red and blue Capital albums and the Stones Hot Rocks when Lennon was shot (not sure why the Stones, but...) and I started to see that music was a process.

Then I heard Deepest Purple and all hell broke loose.  From then it was Iommi, Malmsteen, Van Halen, Rhoades, and the NWOBHM.  Maiden opening for Priest was my first real concert ever (not counting Sha Na Na).   But then an odd thing happened:  I saw a video of this weird band singing about cinema shows and fly's on windshields and stuff.  I pretty much followed the metal and prog paths, and a bonus when they intertwined.

I followed that until I had a kid, and then things really changed.  I watched her get so much joy from Hannah Montana and The Jonas Brothers, that I realized that there really WASN'T "good" or "bad" music, only music we liked.   And it really opened my horizons.  My iPod has four versions of Supper's Ready, and all of Taylor Swift's 1989.  I have 150 Johnny Cash songs, and about the same number of Marillion songs.   Justin Timberlake, and Demi Lovato. 

Politics?  I didn't get much into politics, until I took a history class at UConn, and he traced the Catholic Church through European history. Fascinating.   But it really hit home when I started learning about my family (Polish, Czech, Russian) and how they tried to get out before the Revolution in Russia (some made it, some didn't) then again tried to get out around the late 1930's (some made it, some didn't; I lost several family members to Hitler's camps).   I went to Germany in '98, and was literally stunned speechless by some of the things I saw (primarily at Dachau).  I lost much of the conservative social things I had carried with me (Catholicism and northeast Republicanism can give you that) and started to identify with a more Libertarian point of view.  Now, having a child (and a step grandson on the way) I can say that I've morphed to a more compassionate libertarian view.  But my dad is what some would consider disabled (bad arthritis that hit right around the time I went to kindergarten) so I watched him work to the point of exhaustion for his family, even though he wanted nothing more than to lie in bed and not move.   I have little patience for people that are easily offended or feel entitled or that they "deserve" something.  I think, as Steve Hogarth says (well, he was being ironic, I'm not) "we get what we deserve".    More specifically, I have evolved a lot, to the point that I don't think government should be in our personal lives at all. I'm pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, legalize pot (all drugs actually), etc. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: November 14, 2016, 06:05:16 PM »
Fantastic insight.  Thank you for opening up to us.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: November 14, 2016, 06:46:43 PM »
By the way, I should add in a little bit of serendipity, I said my first record was "Snoopy and the Red Baron" (by the Royal Guardsmen) and I said that after Deep Purple, "all hell broke loose".   Ritchie Blackmore was then and is now my favorite musician of all time, ever (I was lucky enough to actually shake his hand - he is notoriously reticent and prickly with fans - after a recent Blackmore's Night show), and he ends all his shows with "Snoopy and the Red Baron" playing over the PA.   

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #788 on: November 14, 2016, 06:58:30 PM »
By the way, I should add in a little bit of serendipity, I said my first record was "Snoopy and the Red Baron" (by the Royal Guardsmen) and I said that after Deep Purple, "all hell broke loose".   Ritchie Blackmore was then and is now my favorite musician of all time, ever (I was lucky enough to actually shake his hand - he is notoriously reticent and prickly with fans - after a recent Blackmore's Night show), and he ends all his shows with "Snoopy and the Red Baron" playing over the PA.

How was Ritchie other than the handshake? Did you have the opportunity to talk to him, or was a quick greeting then move on type of deal?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #789 on: November 14, 2016, 07:02:32 PM »

That's awesome!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #790 on: November 14, 2016, 08:05:40 PM »
I didn't even realize this was going again! I'd like to sign up too!

Dear Stadler, when you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up? How about now?

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #791 on: November 15, 2016, 07:11:01 AM »
If you could take any Kiss song and assign a different member of the band to sing it, with the purpose of improving the song, what song and who?  I have to say, I haven't even given this any thought myself, but the question just came into my head, so here we are.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: November 15, 2016, 07:35:57 AM »

How was Ritchie other than the handshake? Did you have the opportunity to talk to him, or was a quick greeting then move on type of deal?

More the latter, it was after the show (I was in the second row) and he leaned over, I just out my paw and said "Thank you so much" and he mumbled "pleasure!", shook another hand and waved to the rest and said "Sorry, time to go!".    But on stage he was very animated and fun.   Candice introduced a song, and he started playing something else and just said "Oooops, changed my mind!" and even the bass player had to switch instruments.  But it wasn't dick like, it was actually fun. 

And I have seen Clapton, Page, Gilmour, Vaughn, Fripp, Howe, Rabin, Vai, Satriani...  and I have NEVER seen someone captivate with a guitar like Blackmore.   Even my 15 year old One Direction fan (who I dragged to the show kicking and screaming - "But the singer looks like Stevie Nicks!") looked at me and said "that guy is CRAZY good". 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: November 15, 2016, 07:38:17 AM »
I didn't even realize this was going again! I'd like to sign up too!

Dear Stadler, when you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up? How about now?

Then?  Astronaut, or fireman.  More astronaut; I was captivated by space when I was a kid.   There are some books (well, they're probably not there now) in my elementary school library that just have my name 15 times in the back on the little card.

Now?  Novelist.   Or musician.  I've sort of met the "musician" goal, having played professionally for several years in Philly, but I still have dreams of putting together an album.  And I want to write a book.  I'm hoping when the kids get out of high school, I might have to fill some time. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: November 15, 2016, 07:46:30 AM »
If you could take any Kiss song and assign a different member of the band to sing it, with the purpose of improving the song, what song and who?  I have to say, I haven't even given this any thought myself, but the question just came into my head, so here we are.

This is easier than it might seem for me.   Strange Ways (Gene, or Ace, but he wasn't singing yet), Nothin' To Lose (Paul, on the chorus), or Black Diamond (Paul).  I'm not a fan of Peter Criss's voice.   I could put "Mr. Blackwell" (Ace) in here too, because while I love "...The Elder", I don't care for that song.   Maybe Paul singing "Young and Wasted".  And I would have done "I Finally Found My Way" as an instrumental, because it is SOOO cheesy, no one should sing that song.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #795 on: November 15, 2016, 08:07:06 AM »
Hey, pal.  Might seem boring to some, but who is your favorite novelist?

What is your favorite style of music that most on this forum probably don't like very much?

Also, I'm game.  Sign me up for a round of this thread.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: November 15, 2016, 10:14:37 AM »

What is your favorite style of music that most on this forum probably don't like very much?

Stephen King, hands down.  I think "11/22/63" is one of the best books ever written, and I remember reading the last 100 pages straight through in one sitting and crying like a baby. 

Country, hands down.  Not the new "bro country", but old school, outlaw country.   I think guys like Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, John Cash, Hank Jr. are as "rock'n'roll" as Motley Crue and that ilk, and yet... they have a way of touching a nerve that the most stereotypically "rock'n'roll" acts don't with me.   Think about this:  those guys used to go to Johnny Cash's house in Henderson (outside Nashville) and would sit around with a bag of weed strumming guitars and playing their new songs for each other.  Just picture Ed Van Halen and Randy Rhoads and Michael Schenker and Yngvie Malmteen, or further back, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour and Ritchie Blackmore doing the same thing.  I know for me, I've never been to the Crazy Horse in Paris, and I've never done heroin, but I know I've felt like the narrator in "Sunday Morning Coming Down", and I know I've felt like the narrator in "Me And Bobby McGee", and I know people like "The Taker". 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #797 on: November 15, 2016, 10:22:46 AM »

Stephen King, hands down.  I think "11/22/63" is one of the best books ever written, and I remember reading the last 100 pages straight through in one sitting and crying like a baby. 

Country, hands down.  Not the new "bro country", but old school, outlaw country.  .

If you have Spotify (or if you don't mind buying albums on a whim), give this album a listen. These guys are really good. You might dig them if you dig the old/outlaw sound. They still write new material, but it's nothing like the crap you'll hear on 92.5.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #798 on: November 15, 2016, 10:25:20 AM »
I have heard great stuff about BS.  One of the local bands around here does a lot of their stuff.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: November 15, 2016, 10:26:44 AM »
I'm going to buy that just off the picture of the second dude from the left.   That's a guy that clearly does not give even half a fuck.   

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #800 on: November 15, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »
I definitely thought you'd be into the middle dude's neck-only beard  :lol If you actually give that a listen, report back  :tup

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: November 15, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »
I totally missed that; I may change that vote.  I've been threatening my wife with the extended sideburns for years now (think Elvis circa 1974, Ritchie Blackmore circa Made In Japan, or Neil Young circa 1975.  Or Hyde from "That 70's Show"). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #802 on: November 15, 2016, 11:39:48 AM »

Country, hands down.  Not the new "bro country", but old school, outlaw country.   I think guys like Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, John Cash, Hank Jr. are as "rock'n'roll" as Motley Crue and that ilk, and yet... they have a way of touching a nerve that the most stereotypically "rock'n'roll" acts don't with me.   Think about this:  those guys used to go to Johnny Cash's house in Henderson (outside Nashville) and would sit around with a bag of weed strumming guitars and playing their new songs for each other.  Just picture Ed Van Halen and Randy Rhoads and Michael Schenker and Yngvie Malmteen, or further back, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour and Ritchie Blackmore doing the same thing.  I know for me, I've never been to the Crazy Horse in Paris, and I've never done heroin, but I know I've felt like the narrator in "Sunday Morning Coming Down", and I know I've felt like the narrator in "Me And Bobby McGee", and I know people like "The Taker".
Well, we are in total agreement on both of those things  :lol

I must profess a love of the band Alabama, as well.  Not tough hardcore guys like the above-mentioned, but great songs and beautiful vocal melodies.  I just missed a chance to see them live last month (with Charlie Daniels opening up, no less) at a venue about 10 miles from my house, because I got the dates mixed up with something else.  :facepalm:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: November 15, 2016, 11:53:10 AM »
when I think of Alabama, I think of the late 70's when on the radio all you would here every hour was Alabama, The Little River Band and Kenny Rodgers like clockwork.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: November 15, 2016, 11:59:21 AM »
I like Alabama.  "Christmas In Dixie" is an annual staple.  It's less about the "tough" (I like Garth Brooks, too, and he's, um, not an outlaw) than it is about the roots/earthy aspect of it.  I made fun of Garth until I saw him at the Boston Garden, 20,000 drunk yuppy country wannabees, and when he sat on the edge of the stage with just his acoustic guitar, and played "Night Moves" and... I think it was "American Band" by Grand Funk Railroad, YOU COULD HEAR A PIN DROP.   It was CAPTIVATING.

I feel the same way when Kris Kristofferson says "If it sounds country, that's what it is. It's a country song... a-one, two, one, two, three, four..." before "Me and Bobby McGee".    "The Conversation" by Waylon Jennings, really IS a conversation between him and Hank Jr.    Hell, even "Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out of Hand" has a sort of humility and self-awareness that is really special.   (By the way, there's a killer cover of that last tune by none other than our man James Hetfield that is excellent).

Anyway...