Author Topic: The Ask twosuitsluke Thread  (Read 110007 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: The Ask Elite Thread
« Reply #735 on: October 23, 2016, 09:07:26 AM »
Not necessarily close to the central station, but on the Twijnstraat, which is pretty much on the way there, there are a bunch of great restaurants. There's two pizza places that have great pizza, there's a Thai restaurant that does take-aways and there's a lot more.

Welcome to my hometown :lol and have fun!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #736 on: October 23, 2016, 09:24:34 AM »
Noted, thanks!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #737 on: November 01, 2016, 09:35:23 AM »
Activity died so hard in this thread that Scar didn't even get his week  :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #738 on: November 01, 2016, 11:21:27 AM »
Sadness.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #739 on: November 01, 2016, 12:16:10 PM »
Dammit, I'm sorry, guys. Totally forgot about this thread. I'll just shift everyone for one week, if no one disagree.
EDIT: If Scar's ok with losing one day? Sorry :blush
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:49:30 PM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: The Ask Scar Thread
« Reply #740 on: November 01, 2016, 01:01:59 PM »
Does blood heal you? Does fear change you?

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #741 on: November 01, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
:lol

Blood unfortunately does not heal me, but fear indeed does change me.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #742 on: November 02, 2016, 10:48:26 PM »
You ever feel like a dick for killing Mufasa?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #743 on: November 02, 2016, 10:51:07 PM »
Heck no!

The fear in his eyes was awesome as he feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllll to his death. Fun stuff.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: November 03, 2016, 07:45:44 AM »
If you were to compile a few songs to serve as the soundtrack of your life, what songs would you choose and why?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #745 on: November 03, 2016, 08:38:58 AM »
Why all the "death" references?  (That's not a judgment, just curious)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #746 on: November 03, 2016, 08:47:12 AM »
Scar, your 5 all-time favorite bands and albums?

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #747 on: November 03, 2016, 11:22:05 AM »

Oh about that. I recently lost my girlfriend through death. She committed.....you know and that has been bugging me since. I find death to be really cruel, yet mysterious and beautiful.

If you were to compile a few songs to serve as the soundtrack of your life, what songs would you choose and why?

That's an interesting question!
It would be:
1) Time of Your Life - Green Day (Life your life to the fullest. I usually went with that motto. Having the time of your life.)
2) The Silent Man - Dream Theater (As I grew older, I seemed to have more differences with my mom and dad and there is now a wall between us.)
3) I Won't See You Tonight - A7X (She left through suicide and I had this anger in me that I couldn't control.)
4) Disappear - Dream Theater (She wouldn't want me to be like this. She'd want me to move on and not let life control me.)
5) The Spirit Carries On - Dream Theater (I'm not afraid of death anymore. Wherever I may go during death, my spirit will carry on.)

Scar, your 5 all-time favorite bands and albums?

1. Opeth - Damnation
2. Dream Theater - Six Degrees
3. Green Day - Nimrod
4. Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle
5. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #748 on: November 03, 2016, 11:35:45 AM »

Oh about that. I recently lost my girlfriend through death. She committed.....you know and that has been bugging me since. I find death to be really cruel, yet mysterious and beautiful.

Well, thank you for answering so honestly. I've experienced that too (though not a girlfriend) and you have my sympathy. 

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #749 on: November 05, 2016, 03:52:53 PM »
Scar, are you a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? If not, why aren't you a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer??

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #750 on: November 06, 2016, 04:32:40 PM »
Since they're both in your avatar, who is the best - Mikael or Steven? :>

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #751 on: November 06, 2016, 04:36:57 PM »
Is The Grand Conjuration your favourite song?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #752 on: November 06, 2016, 05:50:53 PM »
How do you get a 2 in a roulette?

BTW, I live Chevelle.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #753 on: November 06, 2016, 07:45:36 PM »
Scar, are you a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? If not, why aren't you a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer??

I haven't heard of that. What is it?

Since they're both in your avatar, who is the best - Mikael or Steven? :>

Mikael! Mikael! Mikael!

Is The Grand Conjuration your favourite song?

Nope! Voted it off the album, second. I just thought it'd be cool to play the song. Left my house while that

How do you get a 2 in a roulette?

BTW, I live Chevelle.

I honestly have no idea. ;'(

I'm glad you like them! Awesome band!
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Tomislav95

Re: The Ask Zantera Thread
« Reply #754 on: November 07, 2016, 03:47:43 AM »
It's ask Zantera week! 

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #755 on: November 07, 2016, 04:44:28 AM »
Zantera, how would you describe Sacul / Zantera music?
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #756 on: November 07, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »
Zantera, how would you describe Sacul / Zantera music?

I'd say generally music that isn't prog rock or prog metal, but typically represented by the weirdest, most experimental and most "out there" music. Music that is too weird or experimental for prog fans, which in general are music fans who can tolerate long songs and going outside the box. :P I'd say albums like Boris - Feedbacker, Swans - To Be Kind and Death Grips - Jenny Death are 3 typical Zantera/Sacul music albums.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #757 on: November 07, 2016, 09:03:22 AM »
What are some of your favorite indie/emo albums?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #758 on: November 07, 2016, 09:07:59 AM »
What is the last time you can recall being genuinely excited about a new prog album?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #759 on: November 07, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
What are some of your favorite indie/emo albums?

American Football's self titled debut is definitely one of my favorites, and they dropped a follow-up album this year which I actually really liked despite some mixed reviews overall. Touche Amore is a band I like a lot and they also dropped a great album from this year. The World is a Beautiful Place & I am no Longer Afraid to Die (longest band name) is another indie/emo band I've been very happy with, both their albums are really great. Going more indie than emo, The National is a great band, and there's other classics like Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and Brand New - Devil & God are Raging Inside Me. Indie Rock can sometimes also cross territories into singer/songwriter (where one ends and the other begins might be blurry) and my all time favorite there would be Mark Kozelek - who has put out some incredible albums with Red House Painters (sadcore, slowcore, indie) and Sun Kil Moon (indie/folk). There's a lot of good music there, I would recommend Rollercoaster with Red House Painters and either Ghosts of the Great Highway or April with Sun Kil Moon. Another great album from 2016, and probably in my top3 is Damien Jurado's Visions of Us on the Land. It's a great mix of indie rock and psychedelic rock.

What is the last time you can recall being genuinely excited about a new prog album?

In terms of being excited I don't think I have to go back that far. I really liked Grace For Drowning, so when SW announced Raven, I was obviously very excited for it. Didn't quite live up to my expectations (I still enjoy it enough, 7/10 or so) but the hype beforehand was there mainly based on my appreciation for Insurgentes and Grace. However, I have felt a sort of prog fatigue in the last few years. There's usually 2 or 3 albums per year that I really like, but often I find myself disappointed unfortunately. A mix of too high expectations and nostalgic feelings for the genre I think. The genre is in a bit of a stand still and I'm waiting for someone to take a few steps forward rather than going back 40 years for inspiration, but I usually find something to appreciate at least. Also I feel like there's not a prog band right now that has delivered several amazing albums in a row. Usually there's a really good album surrounded by OK to decent albums. For example I loved Dear Hunter's Act IV, but only found myself liking Act V. Still maybe 7 or 7.5 out of 10 for me (which is good), but there hasn't been that one band delivering solid "top10 album of the year"-albums in a row on the prog front, which has happened in some other genres.

I am feeling cautiously optimistic about the new Pain of Salvation because from the teaser and from interviews, it feels like they left the 70s influence behind to return to a more modern sound, and in a world of Road Salts, SW's 70's trip, Opeth's 70's trip and so on, it would be great if PoS did indeed return to that style. Apart from that, I really liked Mike Vennart's (Oceansize) solo album from last year, and I think it was a nice mix of prog rock and alternative rock.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #760 on: November 07, 2016, 10:09:34 AM »
Brand New and NMH are among my favorites as well. It's been a while since I heard of  The World is a Beautiful Place & I am no Longer Afraid to Die but I have yet to check them out, and thank you for reminding me :tup
Another great album is The Goodness by The Hotelier, it is in my top 3 of 2016, I saw you posted them in 'What album are you listening to?'.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #761 on: November 07, 2016, 12:15:16 PM »
Brand New and NMH are among my favorites as well. It's been a while since I heard of  The World is a Beautiful Place & I am no Longer Afraid to Die but I have yet to check them out, and thank you for reminding me :tup
Another great album is The Goodness by The Hotelier, it is in my top 3 of 2016, I saw you posted them in 'What album are you listening to?'.

Yes, The Hotelier is another good pick! I didn't list them because I'm not AS huge on them as some friends are, but I did enjoy their new album more than the last (which I thought was slightly overrated).  :)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #762 on: November 07, 2016, 12:18:19 PM »
What are your top 10 2016 albums so far? :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: November 07, 2016, 12:24:15 PM »
Jimmy, looking back in my life, I could see by the progression of bands I listened to that lead me to where I am today.  What would you say was your earliest influence that lead to the music you love today?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #764 on: November 07, 2016, 12:53:08 PM »
What are your top 10 2016 albums so far? :P
Right now I'd probably go with these: :P

The Sea Nymphs - On the Dry Land
Swans - The Glowing Man
Kayo Dot - Plastic House on Base of Sky
Damien Jurado - Visions of Us on the Land
Nick Cave - Skeleton Key
Vektor - Terminal Redux
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Dissociation
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Cult of Luna - Mariner
Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid

Jimmy, looking back in my life, I could see by the progression of bands I listened to that lead me to where I am today.  What would you say was your earliest influence that lead to the music you love today?

Despite my parents playing a lot of good older music when I was young (Deep Purple, Neil Young, Beatles, Black Sabbath, Yes, Pink Floyd) it wasn't until Linkin Park's debut album Hybrid Theory that I felt really excited about music myself. It was a perfect storm of being 9 years old, that album became a cult album to many people born in the late 80s or early 90s, and the blend of hip hop and metal was something interesting at the time. I would definitely have to credit Linkin Park for getting me excited about music, and I still listen to them here and there and have enjoyed their output since. Then came bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica to get me further into metal, which made me discover DT - which opened my ears to great progressive music without the metal edge. After that I think my music taste expanded very fast and naturally thanks to bands like Porcupine Tree, Radiohead and Sigur Rós, and since then so much more.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: November 07, 2016, 01:57:29 PM »
Thanks!  I love reading those progressions.   Music lovers like us have a wonderful journey.  As taste changes you can see a clear path to what styles we lean to.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #766 on: November 08, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »
Have you listened to Battle of Mice before? (Julie Christmas from Mariner sings in this band)

Anyway, that's not my main question. Your feelings towards prog in general are kind of similar to my feelings about post metal. Do you think the post metal scene is progressing at all? I thought Mariner was an amazing mix up and I've heard some great recent efforts by other bands. But as a whole I feel like that genre suffers the most from 'standing still'. From what I've seen on DTF I believe you're still a fan of bands like Isis and Neurosis (don't hold me accountable for this, it's just an assumption :lol) but I don't know what your opinion is about the future of these type of bands and I'm interested in your thoughts.

(for the record, I like me some post metal ocassionally, this post may seem more negative than it's meant to be)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #767 on: November 08, 2016, 11:20:28 AM »
I have not actually, but I know I should considering how much I liked Mariner and Julie's performance on it.

Yeah I definitely think Post Metal has gone through some rough patches. With Isis gone (RIP :(), Neurosis going 4-5 years between albums, there has only really been Cult of Luna out of the big 3 to carry the torch in the last few years. I liked the new Neurosis album even though it wasn't on par with their classic run of albums, I still found myself liking it more than their last album. The majority loved Vertikal by Cult of Luna, personally I would rank it in the lower half of their album, but I still enjoyed it. I thought Mariner was a step up and definitely more interesting sound-wise. But in the shadow of the big 3, I don't feel like any other bands are really picking up the torch. It seems like one of those "easy to perform, hard to master" genres, because I hear a lot of bands who go for that Soft-Heavy-Soft-Heavy with Cult of Luna-styled harsh vocals, and while that's all fine in theory, it's like they forgot interesting songwriting along the way.

I heard good things about the new Ulcerate album, which I think is a mixture of Post Metal and Death Metal. I haven't gotten to it yet, but I am planning on giving it a go. Apart from Mariner and the new Neurosis album, I also really liked Bossk's debut album - Audio Noir from this year. I think there's definitely a future for the genre, it's just that we're coming out of two strong decades for it, with Neurosis kickstarting the 90s and Isis & CoL joining in the 00's, and so far the '10s hasn't really had a new super band picking up the mantle.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #768 on: November 08, 2016, 11:51:45 AM »
Thanks :tup I agree. I've been digging some recent post metal outputs but the songwriting is not offering anything new. It's like they're saying "we like these bands, we like playing this music, so we will use the exact same formulas so that we cannot disappoint ourselves and our fans"

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Nice
« Reply #769 on: November 08, 2016, 01:11:31 PM »
A Year with No Summer is pretty solid too. There's also this band a friend of mine is crazy over it, called The Great Cold, which is pretty nice. Also Obscure Sphinx's Void Mother (2013) is great, and haven't listened to their last one from this year, but heard it's solid. My ¢2 on the little post-metal I know/like :P