Author Topic: The Ask twosuitsluke Thread  (Read 109963 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Ask Orbert Thread
« Reply #665 on: October 12, 2016, 02:15:48 PM »
You mentioned liking the metal elements of DT earlier. Were there any strictly metal bands you were into in the seventies?
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #666 on: October 12, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »
Or the eighties?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #667 on: October 12, 2016, 02:30:58 PM »
Do you remember what it was that made you realize that your wife was the woman for you?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #668 on: October 12, 2016, 06:18:34 PM »
That's RIGHT you were supposed to show me where to go in Chinatown one day. I'm still hoping to do that.

OK. Here's the most important question:

What Chicago style pizza? Giordanos, Lous, Ginos, Unos, or somewhere else? Or none, if you don't prefer that.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #669 on: October 12, 2016, 06:46:16 PM »
Thoughts on Chinese food in America?

In general, pretty bad if you want authentic.  But most Americans don't want authentic, they want something that tastes good to them, and taste is acquired.  Just as Taco Bell can be yummy if you're hungry, yet could never be mistaken for authentic Mexican food, there's decent Chinese food to be had, as long as you don't care about how authentic it is.

Nowadays, when we look for a Chinese restaurant to try, we look for one thing: Are other Chinese people actually eating there?  If I look and it's full of lo phans (white people), then it's probably not authentic.  If there are Chinese people sitting and eating, it's probably authentic.  Again, that doesn't necessarily mean it's what we feel like eating, and it still may not be any good to my tongue, but it seems like a decent first screening.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #670 on: October 12, 2016, 06:55:41 PM »

In general, pretty bad if you want authentic.  But most Americans don't want authentic, they want something that tastes good to them, and taste is acquired.  Just as Taco Bell can be yummy if you're hungry, yet could never be mistaken for authentic Mexican food, there's decent Chinese food to be had, as long as you don't care about how authentic it is.

Nowadays, when we look for a Chinese restaurant to try, we look for one thing: Are other Chinese people actually eating there?  If I look and it's full of lo phans (white people), then it's probably not authentic.  If there are Chinese people sitting and eating, it's probably authentic.  Again, that doesn't necessarily mean it's what we feel like eating, and it still may not be any good to my tongue, but it seems like a decent first screening.

That is a very good idea. I should just look around. Where I live there is a high Asian population (not just Chinese, but also Japanese, Korean, Thai, and Indian). There are about 5 billion restaurants featuring those types and more around here, including fusion restaurants (though those aren't necessarily authentic). I should just drive around and look sometime.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #671 on: October 12, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »
You mentioned liking the metal elements of DT earlier. Were there any strictly metal bands you were into in the seventies?
Or the eighties?

Actually, not really.  I grew up on KISS, and of course Black Sabbath, but this was before we called them Metal.  They were just Rock and Roll, of the heavier variety.

I used to think of Metal as literally four-chord brainless testosterone festival music.  Sorry if it offends anyone here, but Metallica was popular, and to me was the epitome of brainless Metal.  Those early albums, I know people love them and I can see why, but it sounded to me like a lot of thrashing and screaming, and I needed more substance.  Yeah, I was a Prog snob.

But just the intro to "Pull Me Under" changed that.  It was possible to combine the power of Metal with complex arrangements and intelligent lyrics more commonly associated with Prog.  Those elements may have been present in Metal already; I never listened to enough of it to find out.  I was busy listening to Genesis or Yes.

It's not that I liked the Metal elements of Dream Theater; it's more that I found it fascinating that two such disparate types of music could be combined.  Also, I was pretty stoned, so my defenses and pretenses were down, and I was able to dig it with an open mind.

Dream Theater today -- well, up until recently (The Astonishing) -- seemed to be leaning more and more toward the Metal, and the only Prog I heard any more was that the songs were getting longer and longer, and that was mostly due to the endless instrumental sections.  And as much as I admire their technical prowess, I just don't hear much about modern DT that's progressive any more.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #672 on: October 12, 2016, 07:19:22 PM »
What's the history behind your username?

How did you choose your profile picture?

Signature?

Favorite Dream Theater album and why?

Favorite DT song and why?
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #673 on: October 12, 2016, 07:21:13 PM »
1. Favorite Kevin Moore piece?
2. Sherinian?
3. Rudess?
4. What advice would you give to a beginner, venturing out to the real world?
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #674 on: October 12, 2016, 10:23:14 PM »
What Chicago style pizza? Giordanos, Lous, Ginos, Unos, or somewhere else? Or none, if you don't prefer that.

I love 'em all!  Partly because I'm really not that picky, and just like good food, and partly because all of those IMO are pretty darned good.

But if I had to rank them, Pizzeria Uno wins by being filling and tasty without really being heavy.  I can eat a lot of Uno without going into a food coma.  Each of the others are also good, but can really be too much sometimes.  Giordano's is probably second.  I love their sauce.  Gino's would be next because they're different, and different is good.  Lou's is good, but I have trouble shaking my first impression of Lou's, and to this day when I think of Lou's pizza, I picture huge thick crust covered in sauce, and not much else.  That's not good enough.

What's the history behind your username?

Longtime readers have heard this a few times.

In 1989, some telemarketer talked me into a three-year subscription to Stereo Review magazine for a special price.  I was into audio equipment, and while I could never afford anything advertised or reviewed in that magazine, it was fun to look at and read about all the latest gear.  My first name is Robert, and they were addressed to Orbert.  Someone had made a typo when they entered my name, so for three years, I received magazines addressed to Orbert.  In the 90's, the Internet was catching on, and I was online playing MUDs and MUSHes.  My character was always Orbert.  I'm Orbert on all the message boards I'm on, and I've actually come to think of myself as Orbert.  For a while, I kinda hoped someday someone would me if I was the same Orbert as from <somewhere else>, and that would be cool.  But the Internet is way too big, and that has never happened.

The great epilogue to this is that I now live in the Chicago area, and there's a jazz trumpeter named Orbert Davis who's from Chicago.  Once in a great while, someone doesn't ask me to repeat my name, but instead asks "Oh, like Orbert Davis?"  I think that's cool.  I'd never heard of the guy before I moved here.

How did you choose your profile picture?

I created my profile picture using GifAnimator, many years ago.  I love cats.  I was born under the sign of the lion, in the year of the tiger.  Also, I was born in Detroit, home of the Detroit Tigers.  So I found a picture of a tiger somewhere, and originally he roared.  But I thought it looked kinda dumb, him actually going Roar! so I changed it to Meow! and it's always been that.  The profile picture used to be called your avatar, the picture which represents you.  People change their avatars sometimes, some more often than others.  But I'm old-school.  Pick an avatar and leave it.  I am Orbert, and Orbert is the tiger who says Meow.

Signature?

They're miniaturized Roger Dean paintings, mostly Yes album covers and other Yes-related artwork.  There are actually five different ones, and I do change them once in a while.

Favorite Dream Theater album and why?

Images and Words.  I don't think I've ever been as blown away the first time hearing a new band as I was hearing this album for the first time.  I heard it and Awake, and I literally bought my own copies as soon as I had the chance.  To this day, it's the one I can play all the way through without feeling like skipping anything, and since my iPod is always in Repeat mode, sometimes I'll just let it go around again.

Favorite DT song and why?

This one's tougher.  Depending on my mood, either "Metropolis, Pt 1" or "A Change of Seasons".  "Metropolis, Pt 1" was part of that whole blowing my mind thing the first time I heard Images and Words.  I still get chills sometimes when it gets to "Before the leaves start falling..."  It's a psychotic piece, though, and can be challenging.  It's meant to be that way, but that doesn't make it any easier.  I think "A Change of Seasons" has a much better flow to it.  It goes through a lot of changes as well, but still feels like a more cohesive work.

Favorite Kevin Moore piece?

I have "Wait for Sleep" and "Learning to Live" conjoined as a single track on my iPod and on my PC.  Together they are my favorite Kevin Moore piece.

Sherinian?

Similarly, I have "Hell's Kitchen" and "Lines in the Sand" together.  Together, they're my favorite Sherinian.

Rudess?

"Octavarium".  'Nuff said.

What advice would you give to a beginner, venturing out to the real world?

The world is, almost by definition, more than you can imagine.  It is therefore impossible to be prepared for everything.  You will get caught off guard sometimes, and you will experience shit you had no idea could even happen.  Keep your head.  Know who you are, and what you're capable of, but be ready to push the limits if and when you're called upon to do so.  The world owes you nothing, and doesn't give a shit about you, therefore everything you do, everything you accomplish in life is 100% up to you.  You might work your ass off and still not get everything you want, but you won't get anything if you sit on your ass and expect things to be given to you.  Also, it feels much better, much more satisfying knowing you've worked for it, earned it, than if someone just gave it to you or you lucked out.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: October 12, 2016, 10:48:56 PM »
Thanks for the tips on iPod surgery Orbert, I'm pretty sure I'll have to PM you once or twice during the process as soon as I summon the balls to do it :D
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #676 on: October 13, 2016, 05:08:42 AM »

I used to work with a guy who was born in China and he said the same thing. He used to bring in some authentic food for me to try and I would give him some authentic Italian food. World's apart, between authentic and American, in both cultures.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: October 13, 2016, 07:01:39 AM »
The world is, almost by definition, more than you can imagine.  It is therefore impossible to be prepared for everything.  You will get caught off guard sometimes, and you will experience shit you had no idea could even happen.  Keep your head.  Know who you are, and what you're capable of, but be ready to push the limits if and when you're called upon to do so.  The world owes you nothing, and doesn't give a shit about you, therefore everything you do, everything you accomplish in life is 100% up to you.  You might work your ass off and still not get everything you want, but you won't get anything if you sit on your ass and expect things to be given to you.  Also, it feels much better, much more satisfying knowing you've worked for it, earned it, than if someone just gave it to you or you lucked out.

I think this is well said. :clap:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #678 on: October 13, 2016, 07:22:50 AM »
Thanks.

I used to work with a guy who was born in China and he said the same thing. He used to bring in some authentic food for me to try and I would give him some authentic Italian food. World's apart, between authentic and American, in both cultures.

When my wife and I took our first trip to Toronto "as adults" (we'd both been there as kids, with our families) we of course went to Chinatown for lunch.  After hitting a few shops for souvenirs, we asked the guy where was a good place to eat.  He pointed at the huge place across the street.  Big, clean, nice, very attractive to tourists.  I asked the guy if that's where he went for lunch, and he said No.  I asked where he ate, and he directed us to a little place down on the corner.  He and the other shopkeepers usually go there because it's good and less expensive, too.

So we went there, and of course it was terrific.  I had bok jam gai, my favorite kind of chicken, which you never find in restaurants, and it was awesome.  It was the equivalent of finding a nice little diner across from a Denny's or something.  Tourists have no idea, so they go to Denny's.  The locals know where the good food actually is.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #679 on: October 13, 2016, 07:32:15 AM »
I stayed in Chinatown in Toronto a few years ago.  It was actually quite nice.  We had no qualms whatsoever about walking down the street at 11:00 at night to go to McDonald's or something.  Very cool.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #680 on: October 13, 2016, 08:22:22 AM »
The locals know where the good food actually is.
McDonald's or something.

:lol  Sorry, I just found the juxtaposition of these two ideas so close together to be funny. 

I am glad my wife taught me what authentic Chinese food is and how to find it.  Out here, there are many, many different styles, and they are fairly abundant if you know where to look.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #681 on: October 13, 2016, 08:41:04 AM »
In general, I'm too "wordy", using 10 words when five would do.  I like to think of it as providing more, for those who want to dig deeper.

And that right there, my friend, is why I like you so much.  :) 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #682 on: October 13, 2016, 09:09:33 AM »
:lol  Sorry, I just found the juxtaposition of these two ideas so close together to be funny.

True, but to be fair, I wasn't a local.

However, just around the corner from Chinatown is a little section of town called Kensington Market.  There's a tiny hole in the wall taco place there called Seven Lives Tacos y Mariscos.  First fish taco I'd ever had and inarguably the best I've ever had.  I've tried plenty since then, but this place was off the charts.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/66+kensington+ave+toronto/@43.6544396,-79.4005738,3a,75y,111.19h,77.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sasHJv1uQeAQLZcNtiggazQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xbde8d1c44e3f7e82!6m1!1e1

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #683 on: October 13, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
In general, I'm too "wordy", using 10 words when five would do.  I like to think of it as providing more, for those who want to dig deeper.

And that right there, my friend, is why I like you so much.  :) 

Ha ha, thanks!  In print, it's usually okay because people can skim through it, or just ignore it.  In actual conversation, not so great.  I've gotten better, but I do tend to overexplain things in general.  Maybe it's the teacher in me.  I have to make sure they understand it, completely, every detail.

just around the corner from Chinatown is a little section of town called Kensington Market.  There's a tiny hole in the wall taco place there called Seven Lives Tacos y Mariscos.  First fish taco I'd ever had and inarguably the best I've ever had.  I've tried plenty since then, but this place was off the charts.

Kensington Market is awesome!  It's been years now, and I can't remember anyplace we went specifically, but we've stopped there after eating Chinese food for days and needed a break, and it's always great.  In Toronto, if you're not great, you don't last long.  Too much competition, too many other choices.  If you suck, you just aren't gonna last.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #684 on: October 13, 2016, 12:16:01 PM »
Thanks.

When my wife and I took our first trip to Toronto "as adults" (we'd both been there as kids, with our families) we of course went to Chinatown for lunch.  After hitting a few shops for souvenirs, we asked the guy where was a good place to eat.  He pointed at the huge place across the street.  Big, clean, nice, very attractive to tourists.  I asked the guy if that's where he went for lunch, and he said No.  I asked where he ate, and he directed us to a little place down on the corner.  He and the other shopkeepers usually go there because it's good and less expensive, too.

So we went there, and of course it was terrific.  I had bok jam gai, my favorite kind of chicken, which you never find in restaurants, and it was awesome.  It was the equivalent of finding a nice little diner across from a Denny's or something.  Tourists have no idea, so they go to Denny's.  The locals know where the good food actually is.

It's always those out of the way places that look like they haven't been updated since Nixon was in office that have the best food. Most places try to draw you in with bright lights and fancy wording on the menu. Find a place that looks closed and there you will find a place that puts more effort into the meal.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #685 on: October 13, 2016, 12:27:17 PM »
Exactly.  The tourists want a place that "looks nice".  Or a known brand, such as Denny's in my example.  Not exactly fine dining, but not likely to be any surprises, either.

The last road trip my wife and I took, we were driving through some tiny town that I don't remember the name of, and some place called Big John's Steakhouse was absolutely packed.  The parking lot was full, and there was a line but not a huge one, so we went in.  It was fantastic.  This was obviously the place in town to eat.  Sure, we could've found a McDonald's or something, but we wanted real food, and this place had it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #686 on: October 13, 2016, 01:23:11 PM »
I had to look up bok jam gai because I don't know the names of any authentic dishes.  But now that I know what it is, I concur with your love for it.  My mother in law makes it, and it is the best I have ever had.  I much prefer hers to any I have ever gotten in any restaurant. 

Last time we went out, which was for my father in law's 70th birthday, we had a dish I had never had before.  It was a massive sea bass filet that had been marinated in red rice wine vinegar and then broiled.  It was the most amazing thing I have ever put in my mouth.  Do you know what that is called by any chance?  Although a broiled fish dish does not sound like the typical "authentic" Chinese, my wife assures me that it is.  But she doesn't know what it is called in anything but her village dialect, which is not helpful.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #687 on: October 13, 2016, 04:30:59 PM »
I've had Chinese broiled fish a couple of different ways, so yeah, it's authentic, but I don't know the names of any of them.  The more common one is broiled with soy sauce, ginger, and garlic (and whatever else you feel like throwing into the mix), but I think I've had the red rice wine vinegar one, too.  It's been a while, and I remember not liking the soy variety because it was really salty (not surprising) plus was served with the skin, the head with the eyes falling out, and all.  Chinese don't like to waste anything, so they gut them and cook everything else.  I know I've had fish a few different ways -- my dad and I did a lot of trout and salmon fishing when I was growing up, and my mom cooked them up all kinds of ways -- so if it's common at all, I've probably had it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #688 on: October 13, 2016, 04:34:57 PM »
Meh. Cut the yucky parts off and make fish stock with them. Then they don't go to waste, the fish is more presentable, and everybody is happy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #689 on: October 14, 2016, 08:03:30 AM »
...served with the skin, the head with the eyes falling out, and all.  Chinese don't like to waste anything, so they gut them and cook everything else. 

:lol  Isn't that the only way? 

Whenever I got fishing with friends, or more recently when I took my boys on a Boy Scout fishing trip, I start getting the twitches when I see people just cut these neat little filets out of the fish and toss the rest of it.  More meat ends up getting tossed than actually eaten.  I always just get 'em and bring 'em home whole so mama can cook 'em up Chinese style.  :drool:

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #690 on: October 14, 2016, 09:11:07 AM »
It really is the best way, but I have to admit, I really don't like those dead white eyes staring at me.  Same with chicken.  Soy chicken is another fave of mine, but when they just cut it up whole and put it on the platter with head, feet, and everything else, I guess it's just too much a reminder that yes, this is (or was) an animal.  It's hard to eat something when you feel like it's looking back at you, judging you, mocking you as you hesitate to reach for that next piece...

Also, that was supposed to be a kind of Zappa reference, but I couldn't remember the exact wording.  In "Room Service" he orders "fish with the eyes falling out".  I crack up whenever I hear that, because I've been there so many times.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #691 on: October 14, 2016, 12:17:18 PM »
plus was served with the skin, the head with the eyes falling out, and all.  Chinese don't like to waste anything, so they gut them and cook everything else.

That's a lot like Calabrese recipes. The cities and towns in Calabria are mostly poor areas so they waste no part of an animal. One of my favorites, that I actually was too excited to be a normal person to try out, is called Morzello, or Morzeddhu alla Catanzarisi. Some of the less than typical ingredients were the heart, lung, and spleen of a pig, or whatever animal you chose to use. Like many Calabrese dishes, it also includes chilis. If you ever want to try it out, let me know. I have it in a Calabrese recipe book I purchased written by a native.

Speaking of authentic Italian, I recently bought a Sicilian cookbook that I've been really excited to start experimenting with. I haven't looked through it yet, though I will assume there are some unique recipes in there as well.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #692 on: October 14, 2016, 10:19:51 PM »
I love Italian food.  Um, that's all I can think of to say about that.

Do you remember what it was that made you realize that your wife was the woman for you?

Sorry, I missed this one the first time.

I was an asshole when I was younger, and I'm still an asshole.  I've mellowed.  Dear Lord, there are actually people now who think I'm cool.  But this was not the case back in the 80's.  It blew my mind that a female could actually like me, let alone want to jump on me, or want me to jump on her, on a regular basis.  This was important.  I was playing in the band full time at the time, having quit my day job.  We all quit our day jobs; it was insane.  She knew all this.  Heck, her brother was our sound man; that's how we met.  And her mom actually "loaned" the band some money to buy equipment and get rolling.  We dated for seven years, that's why I say I missed most of the 80's.  The band lasted a couple of years, but eventually broke up, I moved back home to Mom and Dad, and I started working in the kitchens again.  I was a short order cook through most of high school.  Got to be pretty good at it, too.

Anyway, I went back to the kitchens (The PanTree Restaurant in East Lansing), but also started taking classes at the community college.  That was her idea.  They were still on the quarter system, and I took a couple classes winter quarter, two more in the spring, then took summer off and worked and partied a lot.  Went back in the fall, started taking three classes at a time, and eventually finished the two-year A.S. in three years.  Actually, I got two of 'em, one in Mathematics and one in Computer Science.  Transferred to MSU.  We were together the whole time, still just dating, supposedly.  Ever heard of fear of commitment?  Yeah.

It must've been five or six years in, I finally figured out that there wasn't going to be anyone else.  Ha ha, looking at it now, I see that that was her plan all along!  My parents paid for most of my college, but it was Ann's idea in the first place.  She got me to go back to school, and that scored major points with them.  She knew I was a musician, a computer nerd, a math geek, and a teacher.  And she loved me.  It was obvious in everything.  The kind of love that guys write songs about.  And I loved her too, don't get me wrong.  But I'm Asian, and an asshole.  Music has always been the most important thing in my life, she knew it then and knows it now, and she always said that she wouldn't try to compete with that.  There was no "competition" -- it was a part of me, a part of my life, and she accepted that.  She flat-out told me that she knew that coming between me and my music would be suicide for the relationship.  She was probably right, but it never had to come to that, never came close.

So I was in love, she loved me, and I hadn't exactly made a checklist, but if I had, a lot of the boxes would've been checked.  Can cook, knows how to sew, will probably make a great mother, loves to suck cock, oops... did I just say that out loud?  Anyway, I figured it wasn't going to get any better than this, so I bought a ring and proposed to her.  We just celebrated our 27th Anniversary last month, but we've been together since 1982, so more like 34 years.

So what was it?  Like I said, I figured out that there just wasn't going to be anyone else.  I just knew.  I was not going to ever find someone who loves me like she does.  The kind of love that guys write songs about.  I wrote two, but they both suck.  I made a really bad cassette of one of them, me on piano, vocals, and even an overdubbed sax solo.  Decent tech, but horrible song (she likes it, though).

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #693 on: October 14, 2016, 10:26:46 PM »
Prog Snob, I just now spent way too much time staring at Alexandra Daddario in your sig.  Her eyes are amazing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #694 on: October 14, 2016, 10:34:18 PM »
Prog Snob, I just now spent way too much time staring at Alexandra Daddario in your sig.  Her eyes are amazing.

wait....what...did you just say something?   :biggrin:

Tell me about it! Those eyes. I have an ex with eyes close to hers. They aren't as sharp and piercing, but blue enough to make you do a triple take.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #695 on: October 15, 2016, 01:49:18 AM »

This post following one about your wife.

For shame!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #696 on: October 15, 2016, 06:04:17 AM »

I think that scene is True Detective is the modern day equivalent to Phoebe Cates in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  You know the one. :tup :tup

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #697 on: October 15, 2016, 06:53:50 AM »
I do indeed.  And that scene had nearly the same impact on me as an adult as Phoebe's did back in the day.

This post following one about your wife.

For shame!

I know.  I even thought about that when I posted it, but what the fuck.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #698 on: October 15, 2016, 06:57:44 AM »
Bob, what bands with a horn section do you love and have you checked out any new bands with horn sections?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #699 on: October 15, 2016, 10:33:06 AM »

I think that scene is True Detective is the modern day equivalent to Phoebe Cates in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  You know the one. :tup :tup

Gods, I love that scene.