Author Topic: The Ask twosuitsluke Thread  (Read 109998 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Ask lonestar Thread
« Reply #245 on: July 21, 2016, 09:08:51 PM »
It was a Spaceballs reference.  :-[
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #246 on: July 21, 2016, 09:09:38 PM »
Awwwww, I knew that, was just being funny. Need a hug bud?

Online Adami

« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2016, 09:17:10 PM »
Kinda. Yea.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: July 21, 2016, 09:17:34 PM »
All right I actually have a couple of questions to a chef:

1- I can't eat pork but I love pepperoni pizza, back in my home country the biggest Pizza chain is Pizza Hut and they make their Pizzas with beef pepperoni, I couldn't find any such thing in the U.S. for the longest time so I can actually only eat pepperoni pizza when I fly home and my brother actually brings the pizza with him to the airport to pick me up heh. Well recently an Egyptian guy opened a pizza place where I live in the U.S. and he makes beef pepperoni pizza so I got excited and went to have some, I'm not the kinda guy that eats something and recognizes what's wrong with it though, I rarely could even recognize ingredients if they're cooked in and not visible, but something was certainly wrong with that pepperoni pizza I had here, I told the restaurant owner and he said something about how pepperoni works better with pork cause the beef pepperoni released fat or grease that makes the pizza saggy or oily, didn't really get it, what did he mean and what are the Pizza Huts in Egypt doing right that he's not doing?
2- Another home sickness food, this time it's more of a snack, we grill corn on the cob in Egypt as a snack, we have it on the streets like hot dog carts in NY, I tried to grill corn here the same way we do in Egypt but it ended up getting stained by the coal and tasted like it too, in Egypt they put it directly on the coal and it doesn't get stained, I've been told to try it with the metal grill barrier thing but it didn't taste the same, what am I doing wrong?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Adami

« Reply #249 on: July 21, 2016, 09:19:16 PM »

2- Another home sickness food, this time it's more of a snack, we grill corn on the cob in Egypt as a snack, we have it on the streets like hot dog carts in NY, I tried to grill corn here the same way we do in Egypt but it ended up getting stained by the coal and tasted like it too, in Egypt they put it directly on the coal and it doesn't get stained, I've been told to try it with the metal grill barrier thing but it didn't taste the same, what am I doing wrong?

We do that in Israel too. So good. I miss walking around and smelling it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: July 21, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »
I was gonna tell you I knew that but I paused to remember how I knew it, then I recalled seeing an interview with Dana International on MTV Europe in the late 90's where she talked about loving that snack over there too.
It's popular for couples to walk by the Nile and have some of that corn from the carts there, I haven't done it though since I was serious thrash metal guy when I went through most of my young romantic relationships phase so that was too cheesy heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #251 on: July 21, 2016, 10:12:33 PM »
All right I actually have a couple of questions to a chef:

1- I can't eat pork but I love pepperoni pizza, back in my home country the biggest Pizza chain is Pizza Hut and they make their Pizzas with beef pepperoni, I couldn't find any such thing in the U.S. for the longest time so I can actually only eat pepperoni pizza when I fly home and my brother actually brings the pizza with him to the airport to pick me up heh. Well recently an Egyptian guy opened a pizza place where I live in the U.S. and he makes beef pepperoni pizza so I got excited and went to have some, I'm not the kinda guy that eats something and recognizes what's wrong with it though, I rarely could even recognize ingredients if they're cooked in and not visible, but something was certainly wrong with that pepperoni pizza I had here, I told the restaurant owner and he said something about how pepperoni works better with pork cause the beef pepperoni released fat or grease that makes the pizza saggy or oily, didn't really get it, what did he mean and what are the Pizza Huts in Egypt doing right that he's not doing?

1- Dunno, you lost me at "can't eat pork"....  I kid of course, but I really couldn't tell ya. I would assume that the Egyptian Pizza huts just have more research into a pepperoni that doesn't bleed when heated, wheras in America we aren't so concerned with it cause pork. If you researched I'm sure you could find a good beef pepperoni. I serve a turkey salami from Zoe's meat that is excellent. Charcuterie is tricky as fuck and a science to itself, and I'm just beginning to crack the surface of it.

2- I never grill my corn without the metal grill personally, but I would advise to soak the corn in water for an hour or so with the husk on then put it in the coals, and husk it after.

Hope that helps man.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #252 on: July 21, 2016, 10:41:11 PM »
Someone asked a similar question, but mine's on a different scale.

If you came over to my house and I made you sandwich or something, would you be able to eat it like a normal guy eating a sandwich? Or would you secretly be thinking chef stuff like "Well, this could use some of that spice, it wasn't a very creative dish, my sandwiches are better" etc.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: July 21, 2016, 10:58:32 PM »
I'll try the water soaking trick :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #254 on: July 22, 2016, 05:46:21 AM »
It was a Spaceballs reference.  :-[

I picked up on the Spaceballs reference, but I just realized it was a double reference because of his name.  :lol :facepalm:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #255 on: July 22, 2016, 08:44:45 AM »
How did it feel having Mike Mangini hit on your girl?

I loved it, she blushes like no other. (granted she hit on him first...)

:biggrin:  I hope that whole experience wasn't too much of a let-down.  The band usually spend more time, and James is usually out as well.  It was a bit odd with Jordan cutting things short to go off with his people, JP only coming out for a couple of minutes, and neither James nor JM coming out at all.  I can say that at least JP had a lot going on earlier in the day and was pretty worn out.  And it sounded like they had a lot going on in general the days leading up to that that had exhausted them.  But hopefully, it was cool anyway.

I'll try the water soaking trick :tup
Granted I am not a chef (or even close!), but I will just add this:  Soaking in water and then grilling with the husk on steams it in the husk and it comes out AWESOME!  But if you want a bit of that charred/grilled flavor as well, when it is almost done (and it doesn't take long), husk it, and throw it back on the hot grill grate just long enough to get some char marks/flavor, but not long enough to burn or overcook.  Hope that helps.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2016, 08:51:29 AM »
Granted I am not a chef (or even close!), but I will just add this:  Soaking in water and then grilling with the husk on steams it in the husk and it comes out AWESOME!  But if you want a bit of that charred/grilled flavor as well, when it is almost done (and it doesn't take long), husk it, and throw it back on the hot grill grate just long enough to get some char marks/flavor, but not long enough to burn or overcook.  Hope that helps.

I'll back both of them up on this.  Soak it an hour or so (I dissolve some sugar in the water I soak it in), then grill on the grates with the husk on.  I turn them every 5-7 minutes or so, until all four sides are charred.  I keep a spray bottle of water on hand.  As soon as I turn the corn, I spray them all down with water.

I will never make corn on the cob any other way.  Also, if you're eating outside, you can peel all the husk back, but not remove it, and make a useful handle to hold onto the corn with.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2016, 09:01:23 AM »
^Yes--peel the husk, but don't remove it.  I forgot that be more explicit about that when I said to husk it.  Thanks, Coz.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2016, 09:10:36 AM »
Now since we usually eat it inside, I'll get a knife and cut the tip off, then ALL of the stem end, then husk it, since we use the little corn trays and prong-corn holders.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #259 on: July 24, 2016, 06:02:43 PM »
Last chance bitches....

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #260 on: July 24, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
DTF user you love the most?
Jatruccyundessgini

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #261 on: July 24, 2016, 10:07:13 PM »
DTF user you love the most?

Tough one, so many mean so much to me.... how about I answer it this way, the ones I love the most know that fact very well. ;)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: The Ask home Thread
« Reply #262 on: July 25, 2016, 02:39:04 AM »
It's time for our Dutch friend to answer some questions :)
So, how did you find DTF?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #263 on: July 25, 2016, 03:55:10 AM »
It's time for our Dutch friend to answer some questions :)
So, how did you find DTF?

I joined during the hype for The Astonishing, I was just looking for some rumours/info and found this amazing community. I have already discovered so many great bands and new music here :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #264 on: July 25, 2016, 06:12:14 AM »
Since you post in the creativity thread I was wondering who are some of your favorite painters/visual artists?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #265 on: July 25, 2016, 06:14:13 AM »
You can go back in time and see one show. What is it?

Offline home

« Reply #266 on: July 25, 2016, 01:38:15 PM »
Since you post in the creativity thread I was wondering who are some of your favorite painters/visual artists?

I really love the art of Christopher Lovell, I like how he uses a lot of different mediums in his work and all the details are great too:

Camille Rose Garcia, she's got avery unique style I think

Louis Dyer is probably my favourite digital artist, I really love how many different layers his works have, great vibrant colours too.

I also really love José Luis López Galván's art, his technique is really really good and I just really like surealistic art in general

Many more obviously, but these are some I can think of now.

You can go back in time and see one show. What is it?

I would really love to see the concert from the Score dvd, the performances of Six Degrees and Octavarium are just mind blowing. That or a Pink Floyd show with Syd Barrett, that must be just magical. :angel:

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #267 on: July 25, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »
That José Luis López Galván one really reminds me of one of my favorite album covers (Tellurian by Soen), love it!

Now that youve answered how you found DTF, how did you find out about Dream Theater? And what kind of music did you listen to mostly before progmetal came into play?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline home

« Reply #268 on: July 25, 2016, 03:12:24 PM »
That José Luis López Galván one really reminds me of one of my favorite album covers (Tellurian by Soen), love it!

That's not a coincidence haha, he is the one who painted that cover  ;)

Now that youve answered how you found DTF, how did you find out about Dream Theater? And what kind of music did you listen to mostly before progmetal came into play?

I found out about Dream Theater when reading the comment section of When The Wild Wind Blows by Iron Maiden on youtube. Someone posted: "This is the longest song I've ever heard!" and someone else replied with "Ever heard of Octavarium by Dream Theater?" I directly looked up the song, I wasn't blown away completely though. A few days later I was about to go to bed and just wanted to listen to some music before sleeping and put on Scenes from a Memory. And... MIND BLOWN It was just perfect, exactly what I needed at that moment.

In my first years of high school I used to listen to a lot of the popular music, but I also listened to some music I still really like, Coldplay and Linkin Park for example. Coldplay's Viva La Vida and Death and all his friends was the first album I ever bought and is still one of my favourites. Iron Maiden was the band that really got me interested in music though. I first heard of them I think in the fourth or fifth class of high school. We had this assignment were we had to give a short presentation about a song we liked and someone picked one of Iron Maiden's song. Before that I actually though all metal was just mindless grunting and blast beats. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #269 on: July 26, 2016, 01:54:42 AM »
Great answer :tup LP and IM were some of my first aswell! But Ive listened to metal my entire life so there was no real 'getting used to' factor.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #270 on: July 27, 2016, 06:50:50 AM »
If you were told that you only had exactly one week left to live, what would you do during that week?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline home

« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2016, 03:03:42 PM »
If you were told that you only had exactly one week left to live, what would you do during that week?
That's a very difficult question! There are quite a lot of things I want to do in my life, like traveling around the world, or finish recording all the half-finished songs on my laptop, but that aren't things you can do in just one  week. I think I'd just try to hang out as much as I can with my friends and family and spend some time doing the things I really like, like painting and making music. I probably go out and get drunk one night too and perhaps finally prepare the San Pedro cactus I've been growing.

Also I do not even think I would have a lot of trouble accepting death, I've just never really felt afraid of it. I think dying is usually a lot worse for the people close to you than for yourself. (Though I think it does really depend on the situation)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #272 on: July 28, 2016, 01:24:16 AM »
Is Home your favorite DT song or you just couldn't think of other username or something else? 
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline home

« Reply #273 on: July 28, 2016, 03:16:26 AM »
Is Home your favorite DT song or you just couldn't think of other username or something else?

By far not my favourite DT song (I think it's Octavarium or Six Degrees) It is from my favourite DT album however, but my favourite song from that is Fatal Tragedy, and idk, calling yourself Fatal Tragedy seems a little stupid  :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #274 on: July 28, 2016, 04:16:19 AM »
What do you currently do?

What is your favourite food?

What song would you want to be played at your wedding?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline home

« Reply #275 on: July 28, 2016, 06:38:51 AM »
What do you currently do?

What is your favourite food?

What song would you want to be played at your wedding?

I'm currently studying Biomedical Engineering at the RUG. I just finished my second year, and am now enjoying a well deserved holiday. I probably am going to pick up some courses of Artificial Intelligence too next year.

Croissants, especially the ones with chocolate in it  :angel:

I have never really thought of that, most of my favourite songs aren't really suitable for a wedding. I might come back to this question later.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #276 on: July 28, 2016, 06:48:05 AM »
Chaosbay - Three Brothers (Will You Marry Me)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: July 28, 2016, 07:09:53 AM »
Or almost any Steel Panther song will do.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline home

« Reply #278 on: July 29, 2016, 02:01:04 PM »
Chaosbay - Three Brothers (Will You Marry Me)
hmmm, I guess I'd go for something less heavy :lol

Or almost any Steel Panther song will do.
I honestly no none of their songs

I think something from Sigur Rós might be quite beautiful  :angel:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #279 on: July 29, 2016, 06:42:41 PM »
WILL YOU MARRY MEEEUH tbh I would totally include some djent in my wedding playlist, throw in some Shattered Skies maybe :metal

Will an official "home roulette" ever see the light of day?