Author Topic: The Ask twosuitsluke Thread  (Read 110004 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: The Ask black_floyd Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2016, 04:54:56 PM »
I've been into exploring death and black metal further than I have done previously, and also soundtracks.

I've been super obsessed with this fucked up movie The Neon Demon, that has an AMAZING soundtrack, so that's gotten a lot of play time from in the last week or so.

Also Orphaned Land has been a band that I have kinda rediscovered for myself recently, they're kind of like what it would sound if Opeth and Middle Eastern folk had a baby that insists on writing ridiculously complicated concept albums. Definitely worth checking out.

Finally, a new discovery for me has been Moonsorrow - I saw their name around, but I never really listened to them until I got their most recent album, Jumalten Aika, and it's amazing. Some of the most epic black metal that I know, even though I understand not a word of the lyrics (they sing in Finnish, I think). Massively recommended for anybody that doesn't hate black metal, I'd say.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2016, 05:28:30 PM »
Josh, I saw Toad 2 years ago. They are still great live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #212 on: July 17, 2016, 09:42:43 PM »
I've been into exploring death and black metal further than I have done previously, and also soundtracks.

I've been super obsessed with this fucked up movie The Neon Demon, that has an AMAZING soundtrack, so that's gotten a lot of play time from in the last week or so.

Also Orphaned Land has been a band that I have kinda rediscovered for myself recently, they're kind of like what it would sound if Opeth and Middle Eastern folk had a baby that insists on writing ridiculously complicated concept albums. Definitely worth checking out.

Finally, a new discovery for me has been Moonsorrow - I saw their name around, but I never really listened to them until I got their most recent album, Jumalten Aika, and it's amazing. Some of the most epic black metal that I know, even though I understand not a word of the lyrics (they sing in Finnish, I think). Massively recommended for anybody that doesn't hate black metal, I'd say.

Orphaned Land is the only one of these artists I've already listened to and they're awesome. Gonna check out some of this other stuff soon and thanks for the abundance of recs.

Josh, I saw Toad 2 years ago. They are still great live.

I'd imagine so. The singer really seems to use that Tom Petty approach of saving the highs for only when they're truly needed to add emphasis so I'd imagine his vocal cords are fairly intact. I really love Stories that I Tell and Pray Your Gods from Fear. What are your top 2 or 3 non-singles from that album?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #213 on: July 17, 2016, 09:47:09 PM »
Oh yeah, I think a new person takes over the thread tomorrow so if anyone wants to ask a question that I can answer with "four inches" now would be a good time to do so.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2016, 10:58:19 PM »
Josh, what was the largest booger you've ever pulled out of your nose?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #215 on: July 18, 2016, 12:39:28 AM »
Not sure but as a toddler I sneezed a snot string that nearly spanned the entirety of my torso and when I was 11 I hacked up a phlegm nugget the diameter of a nickel. This gettin you hot yet?  ;)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: The Ask lonestar Thread
« Reply #216 on: July 18, 2016, 02:00:46 AM »
It's 7/18 here and it's lonestar's turn to answer some questions this week :) 
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #217 on: July 18, 2016, 03:09:27 AM »
What does RJ stand for? Ron Jeremy?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #218 on: July 18, 2016, 05:16:20 AM »
Actually, I have two questions I've been wanting to ask RJ for a while now.

What is your absolute favorite thing to cook?

What is the most challenging thing you've ever had to cook?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: July 18, 2016, 07:42:16 AM »
You ever gonna visit Arizona?? :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #220 on: July 18, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
Lonestar, do you ever watch any of those shows on The Food Network (and possibly others, I don't know) where they have 30 minutes to create a banquet for 200 people out of carton of table scraps and fast-food leftovers or some shit?  And if you do, do you laugh your ass off at them, as I do when I happen to catch some of that shit when my wife is watching it?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2016, 11:58:06 AM »
When are we going to see you on Chopped??
We expect a DTF shout out when you do get on!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #222 on: July 18, 2016, 12:37:40 PM »
Which region or ethnicity eats the best?

What are some things you can buy from the store as good as you can make them? Or, that are good enough to not bother with?

What's the tastiest animal?

Does being a chef ever get you laid?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #223 on: July 18, 2016, 01:10:51 PM »
Hey buddy.  How has your cleaner life changed your world?

Have you ever just worn your cheffie poo jacket in the bedroom?

How would you say are the differences from living in the west coast to living in the eastern States?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2016, 04:53:45 PM »
Hey guys... Busy as fuck today and tomorrow morning, but I will get to all of these I promise.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2016, 04:57:16 PM »
I thought of this as a random question for floyd, but I'd be interested in your answer as well: suppose you had a month to travel, unlimited amounts of money and didn't have to worry about visas and shit like that, how would your ideal trip look? Where would you stop off, for how long, and what would you do at each stop?

Also, what is some tasty, healthy and cheap food that you would recommend for a college student? I'm having trouble satisfying all three of those things at once, but I figured it anybody knew how to do it, then you. :)
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #226 on: July 18, 2016, 04:57:43 PM »
Are you still mad at me for not liking the quinoa salad? Would you be mad or happy that I finally discovered a quinoa dish I like?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2016, 05:11:55 PM »
Lonestar, any tricks in the kitchen to really step up my cooking game? Shortcuts or flavor combos?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #228 on: July 18, 2016, 11:06:24 PM »
Ok, let's see if I can knock a few out before bedtime...

Close... Ronald James

Favorite to cook? Probably any braised dish, like an osso bucco or a lamb shank. Something about developing such intense flavors over the course of a day or two is just exhilerating.

Most challenging? Not sure, learning to make a hollandaise so many years ago sure was tricky. As of late, it would be more the fine detailed knife work of garde manger than anything else.

The Grand Canyon is on our to do list, so yes, someday.
Lonestar, do you ever watch any of those shows on The Food Network (and possibly others, I don't know) where they have 30 minutes to create a banquet for 200 people out of carton of table scraps and fast-food leftovers or some shit?  And if you do, do you laugh your ass off at them, as I do when I happen to catch some of that shit when my wife is watching it?

I gave up on Food Network a while back, it really lost its way around the time they got Guy on it.

When are we going to see you on Chopped??
We expect a DTF shout out when you do get on!!

Not in a million years, I'm way too private a person.

Which region or ethnicity eats the best?

What are some things you can buy from the store as good as you can make them? Or, that are good enough to not bother with?

What's the tastiest animal?

Does being a chef ever get you laid?

Creole food.
Actually the swansons pre made stocks are pretty good for everyday purposes, just get the unsalted ones.
Tastiest animal? Either a cold water Alaskan Halibut or a good northwest Dungeness crab.
Yes, many many times. I advise every man to learn to cook, it's a fantastic way to impress a lady.

Hey buddy.  How has your cleaner life changed your world?

Have you ever just worn your cheffie poo jacket in the bedroom?

How would you say are the differences from living in the west coast to living in the eastern States?

I've had troubles with depression and anxiety my whole life, plus I always had a massive victim complex. The work involved in recovery, between the 12 steps and that with a therapis, really changed my whole outlook. I let go of things so much easier. I approach everything, and respond to everything, in such a positive manner. and I now have the freedom to let other aspects of my life grow. I say to anyone struggling, just do it. Go to a meeting and do the work, if you don't like it we'll happily refund your misery ;)

No, I haven't but I'm sure the lady wouldn't mind.

The bay area has everything I need within a two hour radius. I don't plan on ever moving. I've only lived in Atlanta on the east coast, and though I liked it I wouldn't live there again.

I thought of this as a random question for floyd, but I'd be interested in your answer as well: suppose you had a month to travel, unlimited amounts of money and didn't have to worry about visas and shit like that, how would your ideal trip look? Where would you stop off, for how long, and what would you do at each stop?

Also, what is some tasty, healthy and cheap food that you would recommend for a college student? I'm having trouble satisfying all three of those things at once, but I figured it anybody knew how to do it, then you. :)
I'll think on the vacation one for a bit, and answer in a separate post.

As to food, just eat veggies pan cooked. A little salt and pepper to wake them up and you can go far on a few dollars. Heat the pan with oil. add your veggies, and finish with s&p. Maybe put it on some rice and your good to go. I need to write a college student cookbook, I'd make a fortune.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #229 on: July 18, 2016, 11:16:59 PM »
Are you still mad at me for not liking the quinoa salad? Would you be mad or happy that I finally discovered a quinoa dish I like?

I never was mad, at least you weren't a dick about it. And I would be happy.

Lonestar, any tricks in the kitchen to really step up my cooking game? Shortcuts or flavor combos?

Learn the science behind the cooking. That's the best advice I can give anybody. Also don't be afraid to season, it's the cornerstone, and learn to use vinegars (all flavors), they are really a secret powerhouse ingredient.

Ok, the vacation one....

I would center the trip around festival season in Europe(and mainly an IQ show), maybe around night of the prog or sth like that. There would be a few days in Ankara to visit Nem in her homeland, a week in Crimea to visit with my girlfriend's family and friends there. Then I would hit New Zealand, and finish with a few days in NYC with my kid (unless I just took my kid with me)

Ok, that's it for today, looking forward to answering more tomorrow.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2016, 12:12:50 AM »
Lonestar, when you eat at another restaurant, are you able to just enjoy the food or are you constantly analysing how they've done it and what could have been better? Are you able to leave the cook behind?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2016, 01:08:58 AM »
I hope you don't think I'm a jerk for asking, but if can you eat food that was cooked with alcohol, or is the little bit of alcohol that is left over not an issue (since you can't cook out all of the ethanol)?

How did you meet your special lady friend?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2016, 05:34:19 AM »

Favorite to cook? Probably any braised dish, like an osso bucco or a lamb shank. Something about developing such intense flavors over the course of a day or two is just exhilerating.

Most challenging? Not sure, learning to make a hollandaise so many years ago sure was tricky. As of late, it would be more the fine detailed knife work of garde manger than anything else.

I love ossobuco! Actually, I've always been a fan of slow-cooker recipes. My father's favorite is chicken cacciatore. Thanks for answering!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2016, 06:01:10 AM »
Lonestar, when you eat at another restaurant, are you able to just enjoy the food or are you constantly analysing how they've done it and what could have been better? Are you able to leave the cook behind?

Oh yeah, for sure. I mean I do tend to find mistakes, but I also appeciate the effort more than the average person.

I hope you don't think I'm a jerk for asking, but if can you eat food that was cooked with alcohol, or is the little bit of alcohol that is left over not an issue (since you can't cook out all of the ethanol)?

How did you meet your special lady friend?

Jerk..... jk, I try to avoid all food with alcohol, especially unreduced of course. Some though is so minimal it's not an issue (as in with stocks and stuff, where your talking a few cups in twenty gallons cooked down).

She is a coworker, a massage therapist in our spa. She pursued me, played me like  a fiddle man.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2016, 07:39:02 AM »
RJ.....every thought about trying to get on the Bravo Channel show 'Top Chef'?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2016, 11:31:35 AM »
You've posted her cooking on FB, so I'm guessing she is better at your job than you are at her job.  I hope you got another talent to bring the score even.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »
Gotta agree on the Food Network comment... I still watch Good Eats every night though.  Alton has for sure made me a better cook (especially his bread pudding and vanilla ice cream).

I have the hardest time getting the membrane off of the back of rib-racks... any suggestions?  I use the spoon handle trick often but it seems like it should work faster.

Do you hand-whisk custard or use a blender (slowest speed, slowly adding sugar)?  I honestly cannot tell the different between the two in the finished product.

Thanks man!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #237 on: July 19, 2016, 02:03:54 PM »
Ok, let's see if I can knock a few out before bedtime...

Close... Ronald James

The Grand Canyon is on our to do list, so yes, someday.

We went to the Grand Canyon last year and it is beyond words. Definitely a must.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #238 on: July 19, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »
The first one or two words that come to mind for:
Lincecum?
Bonds?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: July 19, 2016, 02:09:17 PM »
So RJ, have you learned some Russian words / phrases already and what are they?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #240 on: July 19, 2016, 06:12:29 PM »
I have the hardest time getting the membrane off of the back of rib-racks... any suggestions?  I use the spoon handle trick often but it seems like it should work faster.

Do you hand-whisk custard or use a blender (slowest speed, slowly adding sugar)?  I honestly cannot tell the different between the two in the finished product.

No real trick to getting the membrane off, just do it. It sucks no matter what.

As to custard, I find the easiest way is to tell the pastry cook Mr. Chu to make me some. ;)

The first one or two words that come to mind for:
Lincecum?
Bonds?

Lincecum- two rings.

Bonds- possible homer everytime

So RJ, have you learned some Russian words / phrases already and what are they?

I'll probably butcher them, but I know the naughty parts of course (pisichika, poopichika, sisichika), aga, and my personal favorite molodiets (good boy). Also I know I love you (of course). That's about it, not bad for a year  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #241 on: July 21, 2016, 07:27:14 PM »
 :corn

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #242 on: July 21, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »
Lonestar, how close are you with your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #243 on: July 21, 2016, 08:19:28 PM »
How did it feel having Mike Mangini hit on your girl?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2016, 08:47:12 PM »
Lonestar, how close are you with your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate?

My dad doesn't have a brother, just two sisters.

How did it feel having Mike Mangini hit on your girl?

I loved it, she blushes like no other. (granted she hit on him first...)