Author Topic: The 1960s Song of the Day (currently featuring: The Animals)  (Read 10836 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The 1960s Song of the Day (currently featuring: The Beatles)
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 06:20:34 AM »
Kev...'She Loves You' was their first #1 over here

Over where?  Per wikipedia, She Loves You didn't do that well in the U.S. at first, but once I Want to Hold Your Hand went to number 1, She Loves You re-emerged and shot up the charts.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 08:13:23 AM »
Perfect pop song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 08:28:34 AM »
I dig the Beatles.  For a long time, I wasn't a fan, but my psycho ex was a huge fan and really helped me learn to appreciate them a lot more than I'd ever thought I could.  Good tune, good harmonies.  Nothing that outright moves me, but I probably wouldn't change the station if it came on.

My first exposure to the Beatles catalog?  The Sgt. Pepper movie.  :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2016, 08:53:01 AM »
Kev...'She Loves You' was their first #1 over here

Over where?  Per wikipedia, She Loves You didn't do that well in the U.S. at first, but once I Want to Hold Your Hand went to number 1, She Loves You re-emerged and shot up the charts.

Considering myself a semi Beatles expert, I didn't feel the need to look that up......and stand ashamedly corrected :facepalm: 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »
Amidst all the hype about their consummate songwriting skills and superb pop sensibilities (much deserved), sometimes lost is the fact that The Beatles could flat out rock.  Sure there were contemporary 60's bands that had a good rockabilly bop or R&B swing, but songs like I Want to Hold Your Hand and She Loves You just had that insistent driving rock rhythm that made people wanna shake their mop-tops, much the same way a good metal band gets you a head-bangin'. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 07:09:55 PM »
  songs like I Want to Hold Your Hand and She Loves You just had that insistent driving rock rhythm that made people wanna shake their mop-tops, much the same way a good metal band gets you a head-bangin'.

That's very interesting. Gord. That's a great observation, actually.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The 1960s Song of the Day (currently featuring: Tom Jones)
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2016, 08:29:26 PM »
Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual

Fun little tune, that is good on its own, and then when you see it featured on The Fresh Prince when Carlton danced to it, it became even better.  Great pop song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2016, 08:33:30 PM »
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2016, 07:50:20 AM »
WTF Kev Goddammit
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2016, 08:33:02 AM »
Come on Hef.  We know you can do the Tom Jones swivel hips while singing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2016, 09:16:06 AM »
Carlton

First thing I think of every time I hear this song.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2016, 10:59:26 AM »
Where do you think he got it from?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2016, 11:04:40 AM »
I missed the start of this one and, sadly, feel the need to chime in and catch up.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze  I'm pretty much in the same boat as a lot of folks.  I like most of Jimi's hits, and appreciate the guy's skills and influence on pop music of the time and to come, but am not necessarily a huge fan.  I have Are You Experienced? and have listened to it a few times, but it's not really my bag.  Some of it's pretty cool, but a lot of it is just sounds to me like a very talented band taking LSD, jamming, and recording the results.

I also second the love for Mitch Mitchell.  The first time I saw an old Hendrix video, I was amazed.  Jimi was black, obviously, and call it racist or whatever, but I guess I assumed the rest of the band was black as well.  Then there's this skinny little white guy in a shirt and tie back there beating the shit out of a four-piece trap kit like there was no tomorrow.  The Jimi Hendrix Experience may have been rock's first power trio.

Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence  One of my all-time favorites from these guys.  Yeah, the words are powerful and evocative, the music perfectly sets the tone, rising and falling with the words and the message they convey, but my favorite thing about this song is Art Garfunkel's amazing harmony throughout.  He really was a vastly underrated singer, and the two-part harmonies and his choice of notes is mind-boggling.

Useless anecdote: My wife and I often sing in the car when it's just us, and typically she'll sing "lead" and I'll sing "background".  I love singing harmony, as I'm pretty good at it, and my voice isn't really high enough quality for lead vocals.  Anyway, one time we were driving my daughter and one of her friends somewhere, and this song came on the radio, and I decided that the girls were just gonna have to suffer; I'm cranking it up and we're singing this one because I love that harmony part.  By the second verse, they were both laughing their asses off.  Later, I asked my daughter why, and she said because it was so funny, us singing along with the radio (which everyone does) but in harmony (which nobody does).  So... that makes it funny?  I was secretly hoping they'd think it was pretty cool, maybe even pretty good.  Busting out laughing was not the response I'd hoped for.

Also:  Coincidentally, my son played the Disturbed version of this song for me the other day.  I'd never heard it, or heard of it before.  I thought it was okay, the guy did a decent job of capturing the mood, but that awesome harmony was missing, and to me that's a huge part of the song.  Whatever.  Props for covering it, I guess.

Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire  I've never understood why this song is so popular, with Johnny Cash fans or anyone else.  I love Johnny, always have.  I have a bunch of his albums, including multiple "greatest hits things", and always skip this song.  What the hell, Johnny, three verses but all the same lyrics each time?  I always think of the children's rhyme: "Second verse, same as the first, a little bit louder and a little bit worse."

The Beatles - I Wanna Hold Your Hand  Remember in grade school, that one girl you liked?  You didn't want to kiss her or anything, because that's gross, and sex was unknown, unheard-of at the time.  You just wanted to hold her hand.  Spend some time together.  The 60's, rock was still in grade school, still learning what it was all about.  That's this song.  I don't know if I like it, but I appreciate it as a perfect encapsulation of a time in our history and music.  Rock today is "I want to fuck you like an animal".  Yeah, real smooth.  If those are the choices, give me the 60's.

Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual  I'm old enough to remember The Tom Jones Show, which my mom watched religiously, so I'll always associate this song with that show.  (For you younglings: It was a variety show, and this was the theme song.  Yes, he started every show singing his most famous hit.)  Great song.  Tom Jones was, and still is, a great singer.

Man:  Doctor, whenever I hear music, my feet start moving and I start dancing.  I can't help it.
Doctor:  Yes, I see.  You have Tom Jones Disease.
Man:  I've never heard of Tom Jones Disease.  It is very common?
Doctor:  It's not unusual.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2016, 12:15:47 PM »
Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual

Fun little tune, that is good on its own, and then when you see it featured on The Fresh Prince when Carlton danced to it, it became even better.  Great pop song.

I just saw an appearance on Later...with Jools Holland, and my GOD can that man sing.   What a beautiful, powerful voice that man has.  I can't say I dig all his material, but there is NO QUESTION he can sing with the best of them. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2016, 02:42:44 PM »
Orbert, we always sing in harmony to the radio.  Many times, my daughters join in (also in harmony).

It doesn't always sound great, but it's always fun.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2016, 03:18:12 PM »
Awesome!

I can't imagine it's that uncommon, but I'm sure most people just sing the melody when they sing along with stuff.  Heck, I sing the backgrounds, and whistle or scat during the solos and other instrumentals.  Pretty much, I'm "playing" the song as much as I can while driving the car.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2016, 03:19:46 PM »
I'm avaliable for dashboard drumming.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2016, 03:47:41 PM »
Rock on wit' yo bad self!  ♫♫

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2016, 06:20:09 PM »
Good to see you made it to this thread, Orbert. :tup :tup

Where do you think he got it from?

:lol

WTF Kev Goddammit

???

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The 1960s Song of the Day (currently featuring: The Doors)
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2016, 07:24:19 PM »
The Doors - Strange Days

This really isn't a song classic rock radio still plays much, but I have always thought this was one of their best tunes.  I love the creepiness of the moog and the lead vocal.  This has to be quite a shock to many when it came out in 1967. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2016, 09:10:13 PM »
I'm not sure if I know this one.  I know "People are Strange" but not this one.  It's unfamiliar to me... strange.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2016, 10:03:33 PM »
The Doors - Strange Days

I had this album back in the day. The song is....okay. That whole album was just okay too. The first Doors album is where it's at.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Mladen

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2016, 02:47:30 AM »
Brilliant song, very dark and ominous.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The 1960s Song of the Day (currently featuring: The Who)
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2016, 08:36:13 PM »
The Who - Substitute

Always one of my favorite early Who songs, I heard this the other day and was reminded of how great it is.

"Substitute, you for my mom
At least I'll get my washing done."

:lol :lol :lol :lol  Love that lyric.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2016, 11:14:20 PM »
Fun song.  Early Who was amazing.  Rock and Roll, 60's style, but pushing things further.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2016, 03:14:15 AM »
I´d like to make a point for Small Faces  - Ichie Coo Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ViwvgtvbA&list=RD14ViwvgtvbA
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2016, 08:23:09 AM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm:

Same as before, meaning let me pick the songs to feature, instead of it being a free-for-all where several are posting different songs, and let's try to keep the topic on that one song while it is being featured, for the most part. 

Feel free to PM me any songs you think would be cool to feature and I'll put them up.  :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2016, 01:50:22 PM »
Substitute isn't a bad song. I'm not really a Who fan.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The 1960s Song of the Day (currently featuring: Steppenwolf)
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2016, 05:32:19 PM »
Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild

This is another one of those songs I heard a lot as a little kid, since my dad listened to all the time.  Always liked it then, and still do now.  Fun little rocker, and possibly one of the best song titles ever. :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2016, 06:00:50 PM »
It's a pretty good song, but not as good as Magic Carpet Ride, in my opinion.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2016, 06:19:43 PM »
It's a pretty good song, but not as good as Magic Carpet Ride, in my opinion.

Definitely this. Although I think Magic Carpet Ride and Born to be Wild might be the only Steppenwolf songs I know.

Born to be Wild is one of those songs that's been covered by a million bands too. Raven does an amazing version of it, and so do Riot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2016, 06:33:43 PM »
Hell yes, Riot!!! First thing I thought of. Narita is such an amazing album.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2016, 07:18:43 PM »
Hell yes, Riot!!! First thing I thought of. Narita is such an amazing album.

It really is. The title track is my favorite song ever, by any band. That melody is perfect.

Not to derail the thread or anything........