Author Topic: So I am getting a Cubicle  (Read 2204 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
So I am getting a Cubicle
« on: June 18, 2016, 07:55:04 PM »
So a week from yesterday I will be moving out from my classroom setting training and upstairs into my office. I'll still be in training, but will get my own cubicle (eventually...).

What are some suggestions for decorating and what not?

So far here's what I know about my cubicle:

• The office frowns upon plugging things into our powerstrips. Unless I am a lucky one with a cubicle against a main wall, I won't be able to get away with much that isn't battery operated / rechargeable.
  • Odds are I won't have much natural light. I didn't see any empty cubicles along the windows. I have a feeling it will be a tad dark.
  • I am a newb still on probation. I don't wanna do TOO much to stand out, so I wanna be subtle... but I still want to make it mine.
  • I DO want to get a little plant of some sort. Or more likely a moss ball. Because I love moss balls.

I feel like an actual adult now. Haha
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: So I am getting a Cubicle
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 08:54:42 PM »
Definitely some greenery like a small plant. I'd throw something small in there that speaks to your personality....a picture or something? Tough to say with your limited flexibility.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 10:13:05 PM »
  • The office frowns upon plugging things into our powerstrips. Unless I am a lucky one with a cubicle against a main wall, I won't be able to get away with much that isn't battery operated / rechargeable.
  • Odds are I won't have much natural light. I didn't see any empty cubicles along the windows. I have a feeling it will be a tad dark.

What did you want to plug in? I always plugged my cell in to the USB port on my desktop.

Offices usually have way more light than they need to. No, it isn't natural, but I can't imagine you will find it dark.

Welcome to adulthood. Just remember the good times you used to have! [/list]
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 11:37:17 AM »
I ordered myself a Newton's Cradle.

What did you want to plug in? I always plugged my cell in to the USB port on my desktop.

Well a desk fan would be awesome.  And my phone charger as well :lol. I could probably get away with plugging my charger into my strip, but I was told not to plug my phone into my computer (thingy) as it will encrypt my phone.  That's NOT something I want to happen.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 05:58:49 PM »
Photobucket sucks.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 06:15:17 PM »
The "Is this good for the COMPANY?" banner from Office Space is always a nice touch...or, if you're feeling less overt, an Initech coffee mug.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 07:09:15 PM »
Jay, you're so square. :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 07:33:22 PM »
Actually Joe, I am pretty round. You would know a thing or two about that as well :neverusethis:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 05:59:54 AM »
Made this a couple years ago.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36751.msg1559765#msg1559765

My first cubicle I decked out with all kinds of stuff. After I left that job and realized how much I FUCKING HATE CUBICLES, I put nothing in my new one with the exception of pictures of my girlfriend, a small heater, and a fan.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 06:11:19 AM »
Been in the workforce for 30 years, never had a cubicle or a desk. Think I'd shoot myself if I did.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 06:15:12 AM »
Actually Joe, I am pretty round. You would know a thing or two about that as well :neverusethis:

:neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 07:20:53 AM »
Well a desk fan would be awesome. 
I got a small USB desk fan from Wal-Mart.  Plugs right into my computer in my cubicle.

Find a red Swingline stapler if at all possible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 07:26:23 AM »
Well a desk fan would be awesome. 
I got a small USB desk fan from Wal-Mart.  Plugs right into my computer in my cubicle.

Find a red Swingline stapler if at all possible.

I got me one of these and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPUFDGG/ref=twister_B00MIKTULK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 08:50:44 AM »
Take a look around at what other people do to their cubicles.  Since you don't want to stand out, I wouldn't do anything more than what everyone else is doing. 

Someone told me awhile ago that a good judgement of people's happiness at work would be to check the cubicles.  If people had pictures and more lively cubicles then it means they are more likely to be happy working there than people who have nothing in their cubicles.  Sounds like it makes sense, but maybe not in reality, but from my personal experience, this was true.

Also, I don't understand why you can't use the power strips.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 08:56:17 AM »

We had a guy running a space heater, a mini fridge, and a microwave off his powerstrip. He caused a short on our floor. Now we can't have any of those things. I comply with the exception of a small heater. I sit near a window and the heater behind my cube doesn't seem to do anything. I need it for my hands.

Stands less than 6" tall and does a great job.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 09:00:34 AM »
My set up at the office:

Notable Features:

- Tower Fan
- speakers that plug in to either my phone or laptop
- Greenery...
- Pics of the family
- Blues Gnome....a Gift From my not so Secret Santa Dark Castle a few years back  :tup

I share the office with my partner, so it's not exactly a cubicle environment....but it'll do
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 09:07:02 AM »

We had a guy running a space heater, a mini fridge, and a microwave off his powerstrip. He caused a short on our floor. Now we can't have any of those things. I comply with the exception of a small heater. I sit near a window and the heater behind my cube doesn't seem to do anything. I need it for my hands.

I guess that makes sense, being in tech we had issues in the past jobs with people having hidden servers running in their cubicles which is a logistical nightmare for the IT department.  I guess those are extreme examples, but I wonder if they would care if you used like a USB charger or just basic low power stuff.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 08:59:28 PM »
I just got a welcome email from... someone whom I am still trying to figure out who exactly he is and what he does in the hierarchy of my building / department.

In it he outlined some rules of the office and some do's and don'ts.

Apparently we are limited to 2 small live plants in our cubes. I don't know why but I found the fact that this was actually said to be kinda funny. 

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 09:48:04 PM »
Some of these rules can be ridiculous, but in a large office, you need to set some standards and expectations, otherwise you have thousands of people asking for a thousand different things.

Case in point:

We had a guy running a space heater, a mini fridge, and a microwave off his powerstrip. He caused a short on our floor. Now we can't have any of those things.

That is hilarious. I can't believe no one called him out on that before that happened.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 10:07:12 PM »
There was a comment about not bringing in large containers to fill with water from the cooler to tank home.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
If that company's employees are taking home water from the cooler, a bigger concern might be how much they are, or are not, paying them.

We had so many people burn popcorn in the microwaves and set off the fire alarm, popcorn was not only banned, but people who microwaved popcorn faced disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 11:22:22 PM »
If that company's employees are taking home water from the cooler, a bigger concern might be how much they are, or are not, paying them.

We had so many people burn popcorn in the microwaves and set off the fire alarm, popcorn was not only banned, but people who microwaved popcorn faced disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

It's a county job :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 11:32:32 PM »

Apparently we are limited to 2 small live plants in our cubes. I don't know why but I found the fact that this was actually said to be kinda funny.

Two words.... bansai marijuana

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 06:21:07 AM »
That is hilarious. I can't believe no one called him out on that before that happened.

He was a guy who had been ready to retire for about a year, and the company was doing anything they could to keep him on for a while longer due to certain projects that had yet to be completed. He pretty much didn't give a fuck, and they certainly weren't going to risk pushing his buttons over something that didn't directly affect the business (until it shut down about 25 machines).

There was a comment about not bringing in large containers to fill with water from the cooler to tank home.

This is almost unheard of in the type of setting I'm in. It's actually encouraged for employees to bring in a jug. They even give you one on your first day. Then again, we don't have water coolers. We just have fountains we can fill are water bottles at (and ice in the fridge).

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »
Apparently we are limited to 2 small live plants in our cubes.

How many dead ones can you have?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 11:11:16 AM »
Wallpaper. Penguin wallpaper for actual walls not computer screens.

"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens