Author Topic: The Accept Thread  (Read 1121 times)

Offline NotePad

The Accept Thread
« on: June 17, 2016, 10:41:03 AM »
How is there not already an Accept thread?

I'm a newer fan of Accept, only getting into them recently through their reunion era stuff like Blood of The Nations and Blind Rage. I accident much prefer the new singer over UDO, plus the newer albums have so much renewed energy. Just really kickass metal. I've always considered them the German Judas Priest (and Helloween the German Iron Maiden).

Theyre also very influential.  Fast As A Shark inspired many a speed and power metal band. In fact I have a theory that song is the basis for Helloween's sound, spawning what we now call power metal. But in general, Accept is a traditional metal band like Priest and Maiden. And just like those two bands, Accepts new stuff is a more energized and heavy version of their old stuff. I'd put Blind Rage against Redeemer of Souls or Book of Souls anyway.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Accept Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 10:52:14 AM »
Count me in!!

Accept rocks!!!!!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 11:00:38 AM »
I only have the last three reunion albums, but they are all awesome
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 02:58:23 PM »
Stalingrad is my favourite of their albums, mainly for the unreal brilliance that is Shadow Soldiers, but Blood of the Nations isn't far behind.

I really have to get around to listening to Blind Rage.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 05:14:09 PM »
I still haven't heard Blind Rage, but Stalingrad was a solid album and Blood of the Nations was a very good album. I'm more of a fan of their Udo material though. Breaker is a damn near perfect album and I've lately come to appreciate Metal Heart a lot too. That melody in Bound to Fail is what makes Wolf Hoffman so cool. Also, I absolutely love Objection Overruled! The title track, Bulletproof, Amamos La Vida, and Just by my Own are all great songs. I hoped Death Row would be of similar quality, but aside from a few great songs, I think it's kind of forgettable.

Also, I took German in high school, and every kid got to pick their own German name. Of course I had to go with Udo.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 06:21:43 PM »
I still haven't heard Blind Rage, but Stalingrad was a solid album and Blood of the Nations was a very good album. I'm more of a fan of their Udo material though. Breaker is a damn near perfect album and I've lately come to appreciate Metal Heart a lot too. That melody in Bound to Fail is what makes Wolf Hoffman so cool. Also, I absolutely love Objection Overruled! The title track, Bulletproof, Amamos La Vida, and Just by my Own are all great songs. I hoped Death Row would be of similar quality, but aside from a few great songs, I think it's kind of forgettable.

Lots to chew on here. Breaker is very underrated. It's still a bit on the raw side, but great tunes.

Metal Heart is not only my favorite Accept album, but is in the TAC Top 25 of all time. And the outro in Bound To Fail is one of the greatest musical moments these ears have EVER heard.

I also agree with your assessments of Objection Overruled and Death Row. The musical break in Slaves To Metal is amazing and makes me want to roll my windows down and  :metal.

I got into Accept when Restless & Wild came out. One of my all time favorite bands. Stalingrad is my favorite of the three modern albums.

And I know there's an Udo/Accept thread. Here it is!
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=32703.105
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NotePad

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 11:59:51 AM »
I think Metal Heart is a great album. Probably my favorite of the Udo stuff. But, personally, their best stuff has been on the last three albums. Three relentlessly awesome metal albums in a row. Sorry Udo, but Tornillo's got you beat.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 02:23:16 PM »
I've only heard bits and pieces of their recent stuff, and I thought it was pretty cool.

I was really into Accept in the early days, but never much cared for Metal Heart.   Well....I grew to like it more over time.   It's just that I had been really into Accept from the days of Breaker, Restless and Wild and Balls to the Wall.    When I picked up an advance single from Metal Heart, it contained Midnight Mover and Screaming for a Love Bite...and I thought they were both pretty lame and it soured me on the album in general. 

I'm always surprised to find out that myself and my cousin seem to be the only Accept fans in existence who think that Russian Roulette is the masterpiece of the Udo era.   That album is just phenomenal.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 02:36:56 PM »
What does everyone think of those first two Accept albums?  I never could get into the different sound that they were putting out on those albums and actually never ended up buying them.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 03:20:51 PM »
What does everyone think of those first two Accept albums?  I never could get into the different sound that they were putting out on those albums and actually never ended up buying them.

I haven't listened to either of them in a really long time. I don't remember much better about them, but I seem to recall being incredibly indifferent to them. They weren't awful, but they were nothing legendary either. I think I'll revisit them, because the only song I actually remember is I'm a rebel, and that's mainly because I really enjoy Sodom's cover of it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 03:55:01 PM »
I've only heard bits and pieces of their recent stuff, and I thought it was pretty cool.

I was really into Accept in the early days, but never much cared for Metal Heart.   Well....I grew to like it more over time.   It's just that I had been really into Accept from the days of Breaker, Restless and Wild and Balls to the Wall.    When I picked up an advance single from Metal Heart, it contained Midnight Mover and Screaming for a Love Bite...and I thought they were both pretty lame and it soured me on the album in general. 

I'm always surprised to find out that myself and my cousin seem to be the only Accept fans in existence who think that Russian Roulette is the masterpiece of the Udo era.   That album is just phenomenal.

I can see you not liking Metal Heart. Midnight Mover is barely OK and Screaming For A Love Bite is literally one of their worst songs ever, but that album is amazing! Dogs On Leads, Teach Us To Survive, Bound To Fail, the title track!!!! WOW!!

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Russian Roulette. It's my second all time favorite Accept album after Metal Heart. Saw them open for Dio on that tour and actually had tickets to see them on a booked club headlining tour that they ended up cancelling. Only after we had learned that Udo had left.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 01:43:26 AM »
I remember there being one song on the first two albums that has almost a disco type sound. I can't remember the name of it, but it's not a sound you would link with Accept.  To me, Breaker is the first true Accept album

Top three Accept albums for me are Balls to the Wall, Blood of the Nations and Restless and Wild.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 05:51:11 AM »
Those first two albums have some pretty good tunes. The production is quite primitive, but if you picture those same tunes with a Balls To The Wall type production. Check out the riffage in Lady Lou! Even Tired Of Me would be a pretty good tune. Free Me Now kicks total ass. Has a wicked Sweet feel. But totally a forerunner to what would become the European Power metal movement.
I'm A Rebel also has a lot of cool moments. Again, picture Save Us with mid 80's style production. I have always loved Thunder And Lightning. And China Lady would fit totally right in on Restless And Wild.

I love the two Peter Baltes sung songs. Sounds Of War from Accept and The King from I'm A Rebel.

Thanks to J-Dude, I spun Russian Roulette last night. Damn that is a great album, and has to be one of the most underrated albums of the 80's. That double bass drumming in TV War is mind blowing. I was always a huge fan of Stefan Kaufman. I thought he was a great drummer.

@ JJ, I'm not sure I could put one of the newer albums in my Top 3. I have so much history with the classic band. Literally a soundtrack to my high school years. I vividly remember driving around cranking Accept. So much fun!
The only track that I think you're referring to as a disco song has to be the title track to I'm A Rebel.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:02:23 AM by TAC »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 03:17:03 AM »
I've always been a fan of Eat the Heat as well. It's obviously a way different sound for Accept, but David is a great singer. He just didn't fit it for the band and it sounds like there might have been personal issues as well. But Eat the Heat has a good cult following to it and I enjoy playing it

Offline NotePad

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 11:48:18 AM »
It took me awhile to get used to Udo's voice. I still am not his biggest fan of them, but the songs are so great. Wolf Hoffman is an amazing guitarist.

Anyone who hasn't yet gotten into the new albums needs to immediately do so. It kicks the shit out of the older stuff.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 10:29:03 AM »
Wolf Hoffman is absolutely one of the greatest metal guitarists ever.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 10:41:33 AM »
They're doing very well in Germany apparently, with album sales. Blood of The Nations alone may be the most impressive album they've ever done. The albums with Udo were just simply not this powerful.