Author Topic: The Animals Thread  (Read 852 times)

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
The Animals Thread
« on: June 15, 2016, 09:12:12 AM »
If you already have this thread, sorry, but I thought it'd be pretty cool to have a thread dedicated to animals.

I only have a male betta fish and while I love him to death, he's kind of boring to watch. He also tries jumping out of his cage randomly and it scares the heck outta me. He almost died this one time....That was scarring.

Anyways, for graduation, my parents promised me a pet so I'm thinking of getting a mouse or a rat because I heard that they were highly intelligent. Any thoughts or suggestions in raising a rat or such?
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The Animals Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 12:48:02 PM »
As far as pets, I don't have any. My landlord doesn't allow it. However, I've wanted to get a dog for awhile now, so I'm tempted to move into a new place. I've been meaning to do that anyway, so this just gives me more of a reason to do so.

Since we're on the topics of animals, I'm going to say that for the most part I prefer them to people. My favorite animal, by far, is a wolf. To me, they are the most beautiful animals. Besides their physical appearance, I'm also in awe of their intelligence and instinctual nature. They are not as vicious as perceived but, like any other animal, are protective of their family.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 01:12:50 PM »
I have a dog, a cat, and a bunch of fish.

Favorite animals;

Sea Creature: Squid
Land Mammal: African Elephant
Reptile: Marine Iguana

Some of my favorite animal pictures;

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 01:32:11 PM »
Oh wow, nice pictures!

I agree, wolfs are very beautiful, especially the white ones. And Chino, the first picture made me laugh.

I really want a dog, but I don't know what breed to get.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 01:39:02 PM »
I really want a dog, but I don't know what breed to get.

Please rescue one when you decide to pull the trigger  :)

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »
Don't worry! I will. I just love dogs so much.

I'm deciding in either rescuing a Pit Bull, German Shepard, or a Rottweiler. Love the aggressive kinds.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 04:59:03 PM »
Cats > Dogs.

But I also love rodents. Had gerbils mice and rats.

Rats are awesome.

Really friendly and clever and affectionate.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 05:01:35 PM »
You had rats? I want a rat so baad!

How easy are they to teach tricks? And how intelligent are they??
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 05:13:27 PM »
We never taught them tricks but bro built them a massive cage with two levels and they loved it.

But they're really affectionate. We had them for a couple of years and they never bit us. Not once. They'd lick you though.

They loved falling asleep in your lap and getting stroked. When rats are really content - they grind their teeth and their eyes vibrate.

It's a weird sight !

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 05:41:20 PM »
I love animals, I enjoy watching shows that have animals being animals.

Favorite animal: Penguin
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 06:23:38 AM »
My favorite animals have always been snakes. They're just so fascinating. It's pretty incredible to think that they more or less became apex predators in spite of not having any legs. There's also such a wide variety of snakes with very distinct features that makes them easy to identify. You have pythons, boas, mambas, kraits, vipers, seas snakes, colubrids, and of course, my personal favorites, cobras. They're all beautiful and incredible creatures.

Another favorite animal of mine is spiders (I tend to be drawn to animals that could easily kill me). Another facinating group of creatures, spiders are possibly the most misunderstood animal in the world. They're the second most feared animal in the world statistically with only snakes in from of them, but only about 20-30 species of spider has venom strong enough to kill a healthy adult. They eat other bugs like mosquitos and flies which carry diseases that are far more likely to kill us. Spiders play an extremely important part in human survival yet most people's reaction to seeing one is to either scream or kill it. It's a shame and something that I hope changes in the future.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask