Author Topic: Stargazer  (Read 1634 times)

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
Stargazer
« on: June 14, 2016, 06:49:53 PM »
Labrie's vocals are awesome on this. Anyone else want to hear him do this style more often?

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Stargazer
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 09:51:30 PM »
yes

Online Mladen

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 02:57:04 AM »
Absolutely. Then again, it's easier to go over the top when doing a cover in comparison to your own material, where the vocals need to be more thought out and refined.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 06:04:17 AM »
Even though 8V, SC, and BC&SL were sung perfectly, the Covers Disc really illustrated how underutilized James was. He has an amazing voice. I'm glad they finally let him loose on The Astonishing.

My only complaint about the Covers Disc was that I wish To Tame A Land was done during those same sessions.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 06:46:02 AM »
Even though 8V, SC, and BC&SL were sung perfectly, the Covers Disc really illustrated how underutilized James was. He has an amazing voice. I'm glad they finally let him loose on The Astonishing.

My only complaint about the Covers Disc was that I wish To Tame A Land was done during those same sessions.

Agreed on all counts.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 11:41:36 AM »
Absolutely. Then again, it's easier to go over the top when doing a cover in comparison to your own material, where the vocals need to be more thought out and refined.

I agree it is over the top in terms of all of that 80's high note vibrato, but the lower register for the other parts and the more "awake" like grit in the voice suits him well. Like infusing some Hetfield in there.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 12:12:54 PM »
Honestly I was shocked when I heard his vocals on this cover disc.  Totally agree that it showed how much they slapped the shackles on him.    Let the man sing!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »
Honestly I was shocked when I heard his vocals on this cover disc.  Totally agree that it showed how much they slapped the shackles on him.    Let the man sing!

I think in terms of DT, it's about JLB being able to perform those types of vocals night in and out during a touring cycle and not being that someone shackled him.  Doing a song like this isn't a problem when it's just in the studio and you aren't expected to sing it every night at a high level.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 02:45:25 PM »

I think in terms of DT, it's about JLB being able to perform those types of vocals night in and out during a touring cycle and not being that someone shackled him.  Doing a song like this isn't a problem when it's just in the studio and you aren't expected to sing it every night at a high level.

I've always felt that that shouldn't be a consideration. It's the studio albums that live on. Just look at Zeppelin. Plant's live performances were dreadful.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol