Author Topic: (Updated: 45 min. video) New Q&A with JP/JR in Buenos Aires 28/6  (Read 3332 times)

SebastianPratesi

Updated: 45 min. video, posted below by Noxon (thanks!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3xqEbsrsH0

Hi! The guys from the Argentinean community have set up a Q&A with JP and Jordan on 28/6 at 2pm, right before the concert in Luna Park. Only 100 fans can take part.

For other fans in Argentina: To have a chance to win, here are the details: https://www.dreamtheater.com.ar/web/evento/

For fans everywhere: If I am lucky enough to take part, I'll try to post whatever possible/interesting answers we get, in the forum - to give something back, since I've learnt so much from other fans' Q&A / Meet & Greets / Interviews.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:10:42 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: New Q&A with JP/JR in Buenos Aires 28/6
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 01:49:05 PM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 05:36:42 PM »
I've been thinking of what to ask in case I'm lucky enough. I'd love to ask a question which John/Jordan haven't been asked so far, and I usually am interested in nerdy musical stuff anyway. So, out of everything I've thought of asking, these are my Top 3:

1. In a recent video interview (https://youtu.be/i0cZAuV4gvQ?t=5m), Jordan says there is/are some reversed musical element/s throughout. Any tip on which would that/those be? (Because I've spotted a lot of recurring elements, but not the reversed ones).

2. What's John's favourite keyboard part in The Astonishing, and what is Jordan's favourite guitar part? (Because I think it would be a nice moment seeing them talk about and to each other)

3. To John: many fans in the forum have noted that Daryus' name is not mentioned at all by any characters or the Narrator, and we have our theories. Was that on purpose when writing lyrics?

That said, I'm open to suggestions by other forum members. If there is anything in particular you'd also like to ask, feel free to reply in this thread. Maybe what you want to ask is more interesting, and I might end up asking that.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:51:11 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 09:33:44 AM »
That said, I'm open to suggestions by other forum members. If there is anything in particular you'd also like to ask, feel free to reply in this thread. Maybe what you want to ask is more interesting, and I might end up asking that.

Sure, I'll bite. These can be directed at either Jordan or John:

1) It's been mentioned multiple times that classical music was a major influence on the album. Were there any specific operas, pieces, or composers that had a specific influence or you kept coming back to as an "inspiration well"?

2) Is there any plan to release a full band and orchestra score in the near future?

3) Is there any plan to put on the album as a musical or an opera in the near future?

4) (Related): If you had a choice in casting a production of The Astonishing, who would you cast as who?

5) Is there any plan to do a DVD-recorded live-show with a live orchestra in the near future?

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 02:25:29 PM »
Maybe I'm too late for the party, but just now occured me a question, a simple curiosity about the drummers auditions:

On Nightmare to Remember, the MP vocal part was sung by James? Or they just played the MP recorded vocals? Or that part was ignored? If somebody sung that part, it was in a "growling" or normal style?

Thanks, Sebastian!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 02:32:57 PM »
Maybe I'm too late for the party, but just now occured me a question, a simple curiosity about the drummers auditions:

On Nightmare to Remember, the MP vocal part was sung by James? Or they just played the MP recorded vocals? Or that part was ignored? If somebody sung that part, it was in a "growling" or normal style?

Thanks, Sebastian!

And another question I had about the drummer auditions...How much time passed between the audition and calling Mike to give him the news.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 04:50:17 PM »

Thanks, Sebastian!

And another question I had about the drummer auditions...How much time passed between the audition and calling Mike to give him the news.

::) I'm sure Eddie Trunk told him first...

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 09:59:45 PM »
In another thread (https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=22350.0), there is a chronology of the 2010/2011 events. Apparently, the auditioned drummers (Mangini included) were notified on November 5th - a few weeks after the auditions.

Speaking of dramatic turns of events: just a few hours ago, Buenos Aires' Government denied Luna Park the permission for tonight's and tomorrow's shows by Maluma (a latin singer), and apparently Fifth Harmony's show on Sunday as well. So, there's a chance that DT's show on Tuesday might not happen at all.

I guess we'll see how this turns out. Because, if it's indeed cancelled, the band will be free all week in Argentina, until their shows on Chile. Hopefully the Luna Park/Government conflict will be solved by Monday. If not, let's hope the band gets the chance to change venue/date.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »
Just came home from my short trip to Buenos Aires. Tuesday was great! Q&A from 3.30 to 4.30PM, and then the show later that night :)

The Q&A went ahead as planned, after all. I was lucky to arrive early, because I got to seat near the table were John/Jordan would be sitting. While we waited, the guys from the Fan Club put some music - a few songs from Metropolis Pt. 2 ("Overture 1928", "Through My Words" and "One Last Time").

Coincidentally, Eren Başbuğ was in Buenos Aires doing some work for a keyboard company, so he was invited by John/Jordan to join them. You can see him in some pics/videos taken that day, right next to John.

Right before the Q&A session began, one of the guys from the Fan Club told us to ask the questions to the translator in Spanish only, so that she would translate in English for us. There were a couple of mis-translations, and she was confused with one question in particular (maybe because she didn't know all the details about how The Astonishing was conceived), but she did a great job.

So, I got to ask the first question! Originally I wanted to ask something nerdy about the music on the new album, but I wasn't sure if the translator would understand exactly what I was referring to, so I went with something a little 'softer'. I asked John which of Jordan's contribution to the new album he appreciated the most, and viceversa: what was Jordan's favourite contribution by John.

So, John praised Jordan's ability to switch between styles and genres in a short notice - he called him a 'human computer'. When it was his turn to answer, Jordan praised my question ( :)) and said that, aside from considering him one of the best guitar players in the world, he admires John's determination and passion when embarking on an artistic mission, and how he is able to sort a lot of problems. He didn't use these exact words, but he basically talked about John as a 'great captain'. :yarr

A few other things that came up during the Q&A:
  • John's favourite Pink Floyd member is Roger Waters (he considers him a genius, and admires what Waters did with The Wall).
  • When asked about the song most personal to them, John talked about "Take Away My Pain", and Jordan about the Six Degrees album. He reminisced about how, when in the studio in 2001, John would ask him to play many different moods/styles ('something romantic, something epic & glorious...') and Jordan would do so. After which, John would say 'that's it, we've got all the themes for the new album!'. And everyone laughed. :biggrin:
  • Apparently, The Astonishing novel is well underway. I know this already is public knowledge, but from how they talked about it, it seems like an announcement might come soon.
  • A girl offered to play the role of Faythe if the album gets to be made into a play, and John told her that one of his daughters is an actress and would be casted first in any case (and Jordan joked that his daughter would be in charge of casting). I knew that Jordan's daughter was in the business, but I didn't know about John's daughters being actresses. That was new to me at least.
There were many more questions, obviously (musicians asking for advice, where they get their inspiration from, etc.). There were 2 or 3 questions/answers in particular which seemed interesting to me, but I can't remember - this was 3 days ago, and I didn't record any video or took notes.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun - both John and Jordan (and Eren too) were in a great mood, and joked a lot about each other and themselves (they both have a cool self-deprecating sense of humour), while also being very friendly and candid to us in the audience. After the Q&A was over, they took a group picture, shook a few hands. They were very humble, and we were all thankful for their time and the Fan Club effort. A few prizes were given. I didn't win anything, but Jordan praised my question, so I was happy anyway :angel:

I'm not sure when/if the whole thing will be uploaded, but a few short videos have already been posted to the Fan Club's official Facebook page, of John/Jordan being a bit silly. Here they are:
https://www.facebook.com/DreamTheaterArgentinaOficial/videos/1062731663792536/
https://www.facebook.com/DreamTheaterArgentinaOficial/videos/1062945543771148/

And here are a couple of pics - from Jordan's, Eren's, and the organiser's Facebook profiles:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 06:53:09 PM »
Someone tell Myung to look less excited.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 06:16:40 PM »
Someone tell Myung to look less excited.

Yeah, he's taken introverted to a whole new level. Maybe his teeth are rotting and he's afraid to show them?

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 07:10:28 PM »
I asked John which of Jordan's contribution to the new album he appreciated the most, and viceversa: what was Jordan's favourite contribution by John.

So THAT was you!.. Man, congrats.. It was a lot of fun.. I have filmed a couple of questions, including yours.. As soon as I upload a video I'm thinking to make of the Q&A I'll let you know.. ;)
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 09:37:21 PM »
I asked John which of Jordan's contribution to the new album he appreciated the most, and viceversa: what was Jordan's favourite contribution by John.

So THAT was you!.. Man, congrats.. It was a lot of fun.. I have filmed a couple of questions, including yours.. As soon as I upload a video I'm thinking to make of the Q&A I'll let you know.. ;)
Hi Pablo! Yes, that was me, thanks :) I went to queue outside Luna Park at 13:30 on purpose, so that I could get a good spot near the guys. Did you ask anything too? Did you win a poster/mug?
Great tip on the video thing, thanks! I think the Fan Club will upload theirs as well very soon; still, it will be cool to have multiple versions.
Did you enjoy the show? What was the sound like where you were sitting? I was far from the stage, and I remember the sound wasn't very good at the beginning, until "A Better Life". After that, it was fine.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 10:34:28 PM »

Hi Pablo! Yes, that was me, thanks :) I went to queue outside Luna Park at 13:30 on purpose, so that I could get a good spot near the guys. Did you ask anything too? Did you win a poster/mug?
Great tip on the video thing, thanks! I think the Fan Club will upload theirs as well very soon; still, it will be cool to have multiple versions.
Did you enjoy the show? What was the sound like where you were sitting? I was far from the stage, and I remember the sound wasn't very good at the beginning, until "A Better Life". After that, it was fine.

Yeah, I arrived late (well, right on time actually) so I was in the back during the interview.. And no, neither I got to ask nor win anything.. But anyway, if I had won it would've been a bit uncomfortable to be hanging around until show time (and then in the long ride back home) with a cup and a poster and with no bag or something to carry them..

The show was great as always :heart.. The best still remains the one at Mandarine Park, but last week's concert was very special.. I absolutely love the album and I knew this chance to see them perform it live in its entirety will never happen again, so... But they were awesome, especially LaBrie.. He's getting better and better, I was blown away for his performance..

And yep, I was also far from the stage, and the first few songs were almost unbearable due to the sound saturation.. But then they fixed it and the rest is history.. ;D

PS: Did you notice Eren was in the audience watching the show?.. I couldn't believe it when I discovered him staring at the public at his side right before the start of the show.. :lol
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 03:51:27 AM »
Nice report Sebastian! good to see that overall the experience was great for everyone involved and that once again we are reminded of how classy and down to earth the guys in DT are  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 06:20:39 AM »
PS: Did you notice Eren was in the audience watching the show?.. I couldn't believe it when I discovered him staring at the public at his side right before the start of the show.. :lol
No, I learned about it a couple of days later.
I would have loved to be at the 2014 show as well, but it was in the middle of September, so I had work to do. Plus, it was at a time where I was saving to move out of my parents' house, so it wasn't the best time to spend thousands of pesos.

Nice report Sebastian! good to see that overall the experience was great for everyone involved and that once again we are reminded of how classy and down to earth the guys in DT are  :tup
Thanks! Yes, everyone looked happy. And yes, they are cool people to talk to.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 11:22:44 AM »
Here is the official video of the Q&A:

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 02:57:10 PM »
Here is the official video of the Q&A:

Thanks! Just came back home. Will watch it now! :) And see if I spot myself.

EDIT: Yeah! I'm at 7:30, while the cute girl asks the 2nd question. I'm the blonde guy with glasses. I'm also listed during the credits :)
It was nice watching the video - there were many funny moments I didn't remember.

In case you wonder - Eren's presence was actually announced to us just before the event began; no one knew. That said, a few questions were actually directed to the 3 guys - such as the Pink Floyd question (this was evidently cut from the video). So, it's not like Eren wasn't asked anything - he was, but didn't answer. I imagine he preferred to stay 'out of the spotlight'. In which case, I think it was very classy/humble of him, yet a shame - it would have been interesting to hear him speak a bit.
That said, he did help. He's not shown in the video, but it was actually Eren who pronounced "djent" correctly when John was confused with the question.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:04:06 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: (Updated: 45 min. video) New Q&A with JP/JR in Buenos Aires 28/6
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 01:53:45 AM »
Thank fuck the video has good video and sound.

Was dreading a long interview with that echoey sound you get in a big room with the camera mic.