Poll

What is your favorite solo out of this list? How would you rank it?

Voices
Lie (Ending)
Constant Motion
As I Am

Author Topic: Favorite JP Solo?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
Favorite JP Solo?
« on: June 11, 2016, 08:01:58 PM »
I just thought of a list of solo's in which I have a hard time ranking and I was wondering what would be your favorite solo? And can you please rank it?
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline krands85

Re: Favorite JP Solo?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 04:07:14 AM »
Voices
As I Am
Constant Motion

Lie

Panic Attack
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 07:30:37 AM »
Constant Motion
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline don_waka

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 06:46:44 PM »
I'd definitely vote for Lines in the Sand, but given the choices I'm up for Voices  :metal

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 09:27:28 PM »
To those who voted Voices, may you please tell me why you chose Voices over Lie? There's a solo that leads to Petrucci shredding while Lie has much more variety.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 09:43:50 PM »
I just think it's more melodic and well structured than the others in the list, which are also really cool! But as a guitar player I would like to learn the Voices solo the most

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 09:53:17 PM »
Voices might be my favorite JP solo ever, not just from this list.  It has everything in it, kicks total ass, and works perfectly within the context of the song.

The solo at the end of Lie is definitely most awesome, too.  Even though I don't care for Constant Motion, the main riff and JP's solo are both great.

Panic Attack and As I Am are both good, but not really notable when you consider how many solos he has that are better.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 07:10:02 AM »
Voices might be my favorite JP solo ever, not just from this list.  It has everything in it, kicks total ass, and works perfectly within the context of the song.

Ditto

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 08:07:54 AM »
I"m a sucker for JP solos in the Awake album. Scarred is my favorite but Voices is not far behind it (voted for Voices from that list)

Offline FsF

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 09:03:16 AM »
Voices is probably my favourite solo of all time, so it gets the nod here, do love that Lie outro though.

Offline namgalsipsclar

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 11:10:29 AM »
Lie

Voices

Constant Motion
As I Am

I can't even remember the last two solos, they seem a little outclassed with the Awake duo. I think the Lie solo captures the feel of the album very well. It starts moody and winding and gets more frantic and panicky as it goes along. Probably my second favourite Petrucci solo. Voices is amazing as well though, and is definitely a top 10

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 02:59:36 PM »
Definitely Voices.

Although I'm not crazy about Constant Motion, the instrumental section is without question fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »
Definitely Voices.

Although I'm not crazy about Constant Motion, the instrumental section is without question fantastic.

One of the rare moments when Portnoy's busy drumming really works.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 04:21:46 AM »
Definitely Voices.

One of the rare moments when Portnoy's busy drumming really works.

That's probably my favorite MP drum part. It just reeks of awesomeness.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 05:05:52 AM »
Voices, without a doubt. The other three are good but I can think of so many other solos that are better.

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 03:39:29 PM »
Definitely Voices.

One of the rare MANY moments when Portnoy's busy drumming really work.  :facepalm:

Offline Rickharris1011

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 07:29:24 AM »
The lead in to the Voices solo is so good it makes the lead that much better.  It's also my favorite "JP loves his WAH pedal" Solo.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 07:56:22 AM »
The lead in to the Voices solo is so good it makes the lead that much better.  It's also my favorite "JP loves his WAH pedal" Solo.
I agree.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.