Poll

Why are you still checking out this thread? The roulette has been completed for ages

For the sake of nostalgia
0 (0%)
I have no life so I am reading through old roulettes for entertainment
0 (0%)
Train of Naught
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 03, 2016, 01:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE  (Read 119968 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (FINALS UNDERWAY)
« Reply #1715 on: August 21, 2016, 01:50:59 AM »
Guess that makes me #4 then.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1716 on: August 21, 2016, 01:52:46 AM »
sending vektor as a third of my ep was probably a mistake, even though the song is rad

i just think train would've liked the paradise gallows more, i dunno

or maybe he'll hate the julia holter song and give it a 3/10, that's possible

i really don't expect to be anything other than #1 or #5. either the ep worked for train or it didn't. i'm super thrilled about it but the fact that it wasn't an immediate standout to train means he wasn't and thus i'm #5 as a result

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1717 on: August 21, 2016, 01:54:59 AM »
Right on all counts. Vektor sux, Julia Holter is boring and Potomac is miles worse than The Paradise Gallows. Next!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1718 on: August 21, 2016, 01:56:15 AM »
w e w

at least i sent the best baroness song (eula is rad though too, try to disappear is just... not)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1719 on: August 21, 2016, 02:42:41 AM »
I swapped Chlorine & Wine with Try to Disappear in last moment :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1720 on: August 21, 2016, 03:41:29 AM »
Realized that in order to post the first writeup today I'll need to have a full ranking of the songs aswell since I wanted to add those along with the writeups.

I might do a preliminary ranking for Saculs songs and slightly move them up or down on the rankings based on how the other EP's will do one or two days from now when the roulette's over.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: (ZANTERA/SACUL TIED FOR THE #6 SPOT)
« Reply #1721 on: August 21, 2016, 01:59:45 PM »
Just to make clear, Sacul merely sent this to me for fun, it doesn't have anything to do with the finals but I enjoyed including it and he already sent it to me pretty early so why not.

#6: Sacul: not zantera / sacul music – abridged version

First impression/thoughts:
I was afraid to encounter an EP full of spooky scary saculcore that I wouldn't be able to digest in a million years, but to my surprise there's some really cool accessible catchy stuff on this. I notice some trademark Sacul bands, namely NIN, and think way higher of them now than I did before this first listen. There's an obvious dip in quality starting from the Faith No More track up until The National Anthem IMO, but the start and end up the EP more than make up for it, it's a really good one and will probably even score higher than one or maybe more finalists. Anyway, onto the songs..

Rammstein – Feuer Frei

Kicking it off with what are probably considered the pioneers of industrial metal. I still have a dream of seeing these guys live once in my life, I don’t know many songs in particular but I’ve always liked their sound.

And I guess I feel that way about this aswell, it’s such a bombastic rocker, and German is a great language for this type of metal IMO, I’ve always felt like theirs a certain agressiveness to their accent. I can’t for the life of me sit still during this opener, all hell breaks loose, BANG-BANG, awesome tight drumming, great alternative riffage. I love germany.

18/20 #3 out of 38

Nine Inch Nails – Starfuckers, Inc.

Kiiinda linking this to the industrial metal, it’s an alright transition though not the best. I like the You’re So Vain (Carly Simon) reference :lol it was an unexpected turn but it makes the song go from this angry rocker to a pretty insane mindfuck of a song, like you can really sense that this guy puts a lot of emotion into his music.

The “harsh“ vocals, to put it bluntly, share some similarities with Greg Puciato from The Dillinger Escape Plan and it makes for a really cool blend between alternative rock vox and straight-up core vocals. Overall pleasantly surprised with my first real taste of non-instrumental NIN (I did try them a couple times but never really clicked) as I dreaded the thought of having to sit through a 40 minute EP of which almost half of the songs are by a band I would dislike.

16/20 #16 out of 38

Chelsea Wolfe – Carrion Flowers

Here we have the song I could’ve (maybe should’ve) rejected, but I didn’t remember it at all to be honest, I just recognized the name.

This is what I’d call the “hauntingly beautiful“ type of song that many people claim songs like The Raven That Refused To Sing to be. The bass (pretty sure that’s programmed) almost sounds like it’s taken straight from a horror movie, or some very suspenseful scene. Like the moment right before the jumpscare where everything goes silent, that’s what this song feels like. And the vocals have their moments, I mostly love the atmospheric background vocals and am a bit impartial to the actual vocals, but they have their moments. Overall a solid tune and I can’t help but feel like I underrated this one in my first roulette, sorry Tyrias!

16.5/20 #14 out of 38

Faith No More – Caffeine

And from here I felt the EP took a bit of a dip. I believe this is the other Mike Patton band, and I thought I couldn’t really fault his vocals because I liked him on Mr. Bungle, but this band seems to take a much more serious approach and it doesn’t work nearly as well.

That said, the song had some redeemable qualities, the chorus is great for instance. Riffing sounds a bit too generic even though it's intentional, I feel like the lack of variety might be what puts me off by this. Not a terrible song but it just strikes me as something that's not for me, might try the album some day but I'm a bit doubtful.

13/20 #34 out of 38

Nine Inch Nails - Various Methods of Escape

I gotta admit that I'm really coming around to these NIN tunes, I was a bit impartial to them at first, but they all have a catchiness factor that I can't deny, and the sheer chillness of it all makes it a great choice for the EP aswell so I can see why you saved Trent Reznor for this. Comparing to the other 'full' songs this doesn't do as much for me on a standalone level, but it's still a good fit for the EP and I don't mind it much. The chorus is definitely the highlight, the falsetto is one of my favorite things about the entire EP, but maybe a bit unbalanced? I don't know, it's still a fine track.

14/20 #31 out of 38

Radiohead - The National Anthem

Oh god, I was expecting the worst as I haven't had a single good experience with this band and well, I was right about this song. One complaint both this song and the one seneca sent me in the first roulette final (believe it was called The Reckoning?) share is the way the cymbals are intentionally high in the mix, it's really grating, but I could live with it I suppose.

But then we get to the vocals and I'm honestly hating them, and I hope I don't come across as a jerk but the vocal melodies become really annoying after a while (the way he says "nyeeeear"). And then the inclusion of brass instruments unfolds and it's pretty cool actually, for a little while. But it really overstays its welcome as a big chunk of the song is filled up with a frantic sax solo á la Mars Volta/Ihsahn combination or something, but I really got tired of it after a while. Sorry, big miss here.

10/20 #38 out of 38

Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds

You really got me, you really got me

I guess Trent likes The Kinks a lot, but that's a pretty cool distorted rendition of You Really Got Me, I can dig it. I think this song is a good combination of both previously heard NIN tracks, it's not quite as agressive as Starfuckers, but does have some pounding riffs to keep you pumped up, and it does have some really catchy lines aswell in the chorus. Not as good as Starfuckers but yet again a solid NIN song here, I'm starting to like this band.

15.5/20 #26 out of 38

Radiohead - Exit Music (For a Film)

At this point the dip in quality I was talking about earlier has already long gone and it just keeps going upward. After hearing that first Radiohead song I thought I was in for something god awful, and then I get this beautiful Radiohead song that sounds an awful lot like Muse, maybe even better. I didn't know this dude (Yorke) was able to sing this good, wow. I mean, the distortion effect at the highpoint makes for a great dramatic climax not just for the song, but for the entire EP. And oh well, I wouldn't be able to mention too much else, all the spotlights are on the vocals and he absolutely nails it, so I ain't complaining.

18.5/20 #2 out of 38

Nine Inch Nails - 13 Ghosts II

Not much to say about this one, I'm glad you included it as kind of an aftermath, after the dramatic conclusion of the EP we have this calm instrumental to close things off and it does its job, but it's by no means a standout song and I wouldn't be able to fairly rate it on its own. So I won't. It's a freebee for picking the right closer.

Consisting of 9 songs, this was easily the EP with the most songs on it, but it surely wasn't the most diverse one. Then again, logically a proper EP shouldn't be too varying either. Looking at the flow and the structure specifically, there's some odd transitions, I feel that way mostly about Starfuckers into Carrion Flowers and to a slightly lesser extent Carrion Flowers into Caffeine. BUT I really liked how by far the best songs, even some of the best of the entire round, were both the EP opener, and the absolute climax of the EP, that's exactly the way it should be because you hooked me from the first second and kept me interested till the very end.

I'm glad you trimmed it down the way you did too, originally you closed off with Bowie's Blackstar but honestly after my first listen I couldn't stand it :lol not my thing.

Score:
For the flow I'll give you 8 out of 10 points, only a few minor gripes on that department, and mostly a well executed song order/flow. the individual song score comes in at an average of 15.1875

so that makes: 15.1875 + 8 = 23.2/30 (rounding up/down scores up to decimals for my own eaze)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1722 on: August 21, 2016, 02:02:42 PM »
the national anthem is pretty ok tbh. not a 5/10 but probably not more than a 7/10 at best.
exit music is actually that good and i'm totally fine with 4 out of my 5 songs losing to it

also wow that means only one other song scored 18.5 or above nice

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1723 on: August 21, 2016, 02:04:08 PM »
So, what? The EP that's not even part of the real deal contains 2 out of the best 3 songs sent in this round? What the hell.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1724 on: August 21, 2016, 02:06:35 PM »
18.5 is incredibly high though, IIRC only two songs in this roulette have scored higher than that (This is the Time by Nothing More and Djakninn by Solstafir).

But I'll admit this is pretty crazy considering he wasn't even in the roulette anymore :lol having the #2, #3 AND the deadlast song in one EP is quite the achievement.

I'll repeat that there might be some slight changes in the rankings though because I will still give the other EP's a few more listens.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1725 on: August 21, 2016, 02:07:48 PM »
so just for reference:

#01:
#02: 18.5
#03: 18.0
#04:
#05:
#06:
#07:
#08:
#09:
#10:
#11:
#12:
#13:
#14: 16.5
#15:
#16: 16.0
#17:
#18:
#19:
#20:
#21:
#22:
#23:
#24:
#25:
#26: 15.5
#27:
#28:
#29:
#30:
#31: 14.0
#32:
#33:
#34: 13.0
#35:
#36:
#37:
#38: 10.0

only a 2.5 gap betwee #3 and #26 so that's pretty encouraging
and a .5 gap between 16 and 26  :rollin
less encouraging is that there are between 5-7 songs scoring below a 7.0/10

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1726 on: August 21, 2016, 02:08:52 PM »
Kid A is overrated :loser:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1727 on: August 21, 2016, 02:09:08 PM »
Well, damn. I'm glad that you liked the EP and I think it is an great one (though The National Anthem can go suck a dick, 10/20 is like 5 more points than it deserves), in terms of the songs used at least (haven't given it a listen in this running order, but I might just have to), but if only one song from all the other EPs got a 9 or higher... well, that doesn't sound like it bodes to well for anybody, come to think of it :lol . We'll see.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1728 on: August 21, 2016, 02:11:11 PM »
Just dropped in here to say that the songs below #3 can also be 18/20

oh and there's still growing potential

So any speculation on the #1 song?? this one's not going to change btw, it's that good

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1729 on: August 21, 2016, 02:34:42 PM »
So any speculation on the #1 song?? this one's not going to change btw, it's that good

Dancers to a Discordant System by Meshuggah.

no seriously i have no idea
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1730 on: August 21, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »
I loove Exit Music, but I hate The National Anthem! :lol But I guess I've seen a lot more praise for OKC than Kid A anyways so I'll check out that one.

Results are up btw
Check The Bends first.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1731 on: August 21, 2016, 02:49:01 PM »
going out on a limb and hoping you're as wise as I am - it's julia holter

someone help me figure out the most excruciating way to post results for round 4.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1732 on: August 21, 2016, 02:52:53 PM »
Yeah, I don't really know how he's going to continue, so I'm going to ask:

How are you going to continue? One EP at a time for the next five days? Or torment us even longer?
Or are you posting everything at the same time some day in the future?
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1733 on: August 21, 2016, 03:01:16 PM »
someone help me figure out the most excruciating way to post results for round 4.
Post results but don't tell us you did.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1734 on: August 21, 2016, 05:51:14 PM »
Kid A is overrated :loser:
Indeed, it just happens that The National Anthem is one of the few I really like from it, and included it to show Train another side of their music. Oh well.

Hope you end up checking Ok Computer, Mutter and With Teeth. And maybe Abyss and The Fragile too - those are growers tho.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1735 on: August 21, 2016, 05:52:48 PM »
idioteque is great imo

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1736 on: August 21, 2016, 06:06:23 PM »
Zantera and Sacul in a steel cage match!!!! :metal
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 06:17:20 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1737 on: August 21, 2016, 06:13:26 PM »
I love How to Disappear Completely. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1738 on: August 21, 2016, 10:03:59 PM »
Didn't you say flow would be taken into consideration and scored but wouldn't be a huge contribution? Because this looks like the opposite of that.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1739 on: August 22, 2016, 01:17:59 AM »
I said pretty much the opposite of that :lol

Yeah, I don't really know how he's going to continue, so I'm going to ask:

How are you going to continue? One EP at a time for the next five days? Or torment us even longer?
Or are you posting everything at the same time some day in the future?
I've said it already but I'm planning to start the countdown in a few days and do them all on that day.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1740 on: August 22, 2016, 01:21:40 AM »
honestly i'm dying of suspense right now and 99% sure i'm going to lose, just end it

end it all

load this gun and fire and me

E N D I TTTTT

HANG ME FROM THE GALLOWS

LAUGHING ALL THE WAY

TO MY GRAAAVE

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1741 on: August 22, 2016, 01:27:29 AM »
PULL ME

FROM THE GALLOWS

I love The Human Abstract, thanks for that, I'll listen to Digital Veil instead of the EP's right noW

And I still have no idea who is going to win this since I haven't even scored the songs yet and only have a rough ranking + still no clear-cut favorite.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1742 on: August 22, 2016, 01:30:49 AM »
PULL ME

FROM THE GALLOWS

I love The Human Abstract, thanks for that, I'll listen to Digital Veil instead of the EP's right noW

:metal :metal

There is never a wrong time to listen to Digital Veil. Fucking beast of an album. What's your favourite song?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1743 on: August 22, 2016, 01:31:19 AM »
i wish i liked the human abstract more

...apparently

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1744 on: August 22, 2016, 01:31:40 AM »
i wish you liked the human abstract more too

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1745 on: August 22, 2016, 01:32:59 AM »
but no i was making a reference to the inter arma song i said i almost sent

it's rlly good

i should've sent it instead of vektor, unless vektor is your #1 song of the round (which i think is unlikely) in which case never mind i did good

but yeah

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1746 on: August 22, 2016, 01:33:36 AM »
i wish paradise gallows was a better album

take out tracks 2-4 and it would be fantastic but aauauggh

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1747 on: August 22, 2016, 01:37:08 AM »
PULL ME

FROM THE GALLOWS

:metal :metal

There is never a wrong time to listen to Digital Veil. Fucking beast of an album. What's your favourite song?
That breakdown in the title track is nuts, and the entire song is pretty sick but it's not quite my #1.

My introduction to the band was Antebellum in my first roulette and it's still my clear favorite, Faust is second.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1748 on: August 22, 2016, 01:42:27 AM »
Faust is second.
yup, this is it, why i'm losing your roulette

actually seriously explain to me the appeal of the song. i just found it so lacking of any notable qualities :/

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1749 on: August 22, 2016, 01:51:14 AM »
Have you heard the album or just that song?

I guess you generally don't even like metalcore so I don't think it's weird that you don't take an appeal towards THA, they're pretty heavily influenced core progmetal. Something about the balance makes it more powerful once they finally go into the full clean chorus, I love those melodies.

To be honest this album took a while to grow on me, I had only heard Antebellum and it's mostly clean vocals and then found out this album is almost all harsh vox until the last few tracks. But if you don't like metalcore in the slightest it's probably just not for you.