Poll

Why are you still checking out this thread? The roulette has been completed for ages

For the sake of nostalgia
0 (0%)
I have no life so I am reading through old roulettes for entertainment
0 (0%)
Train of Naught
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 03, 2016, 01:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE  (Read 120097 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (ROUND 8 LISTENING)
« Reply #1330 on: August 07, 2016, 09:53:26 AM »
Because the band sucks so much you don't want to reveal it?
absolutely

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1331 on: August 07, 2016, 10:11:18 AM »
Okay all the songs are guessed:

Parama: Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - Seeds
Bolsters: Jorn Lande & Trond Holter - Swing of Death
Scorpion: Witherscape - Marionette
??? : Rendezvous Point - Wasteland
Tomislav95: Modest Mouse - The Cold Part

Oh the mystery

I'm slacking so I don't have first impressions yet, maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow :corn but I'll be away for a couple hours from now on so I don't know if I'll have time to write out some first impressions afterwards.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1332 on: August 07, 2016, 12:18:40 PM »
Did I send Rendezvous Point then? ???
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1333 on: August 08, 2016, 03:11:59 AM »
Can't be, didn't you send Leprous - Forced Entry?

Anyway everything is out of the way now, hangmanen is done and I'll post the tidbits right now, so.. results tomorrow! Prepare for round 9.

This sounds like nothing new to me, heard it all, but it still manages to be fairly interesting

You know, I didn't really expect to like this artist, but - to my surprise - everything sounds up my alley and this could be one of the better growers of the round

I just love the mood and atmosphere of it, it's one of the best first impressions a song in this roulette has had on me

I wish this had just a tad bit more to it to set it apart from the crowd, I like the song, but it could've been so much more

The only problem I have with this song is that one section completely outweighs all the others, making the rest of the song less interesting
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1334 on: August 08, 2016, 03:14:24 AM »
1. Jorn Lande
2. Modest Mouse
3. Rendezvous Point (I hope :lol ), or Witherscape
4. Exotic Animal Petting Zoo
5. Witherscape, or Rendezvous Point

We shall see.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:25:51 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1335 on: August 08, 2016, 03:20:43 AM »
1. maybe
2. probably no
3. maybe
4. maybe
5. no

I have no idea, really.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1337 on: August 08, 2016, 08:39:12 AM »
yeah, #2 is obviously modest mouse

dunno about the rest though, I'm too lazy and they're all too vague  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1338 on: August 08, 2016, 08:42:54 AM »
mission accomplished

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (ROUND 8 RESULTS)
« Reply #1339 on: August 09, 2016, 04:17:53 AM »
Round 8 results
Man I love having to only review 5 songs right now. I had a very easy time getting a grasp on them in just a few days as it's not even half an hour worth of music. Not a lot of differing scores here but that was to be expected.

Bolsters: Jorn Lande & Trond Holter – Swing of Death

I have heard a few “Jorn“ tracks, I guess that’s his solo project or something. But there has always been something about that heavily raspy tone in his voice that didn’t quite do it for me. I didn't really expect to like this artist, but - to my surprise - everything sounds up my alley and this could be one of the better growers of the round. For a 4 and a half minute song of pure fun and joy there’s just not much to hate on.

To kind of echo my first impression, I’m glad you went with a fun track here, because the more serious side of these artists (if they even have that side) would probably be more of a turnoff. Most of the time, the fun music I listen to is the crazy kind, but something about that ballroom intro and the grand chorus just works.

Normally a bit impartial on fade-outs but like here, and the other songs where I don’t mind fade-outs too much, it doesn’t change much since the part they’re fading out has already been repeated plenty and there’s no new material involved.

So all in all a really catchy song with a cool intro, great hooks and fun vocals.

4/5

Tomislav95: Modest Mouse – The Cold Part

Getting a somber feeling from the song right off the bat and it feels serious immediately. And once the vocals kick in I realized that this is apparently a more dated band, but you know what, those kind of vocals always work for me in this moody atmosphere. I just love the mood and atmosphere of it, it's one of the best first impressions a song in this roulette has had on me.

I’m getting a Californication vibe from the intro, only 10 times more depressing. It’s like the guys fmo RHCP took too many pills. I don’t know exactly why I like it as much as I do, it’s quite a repetitive tune and one you would think people would fully understand and move past after 1 or 2 listens, and that’s why I have an even harder time putting it on paper right now (yes I’m writing this :P).

The simplicity is what makes this work most of all, maybe for that same reason I didn’t enjoy Okkervil River as much because of those slim heavy sections. But here I got nothing to complain, it’s just exactly what the band want it to be, a very sad little song with nothing much to it, and it works so who am I to judge.

This was a very cool contrast between all the (mostly) upbeat stuff I received this round, and I can safely say that it’s my favorite of the round, not by much though.

4.25/5    

Parama: Exotic Animal Petting Zoo – Seeds

First thing I noticed is that for this band – and I know what this band supposedly sounds like – it’s a damn long song. But you know what, I dig The Dillinger Escape Plan, I dig a few other mathcore bands including Mary Fields and The Chariot so I should be fine with this. This sounds like nothing new to me, heard it all, but it still manages to be fairly interesting.

I mean obviously this is not my everyday heavy music but I’m used to this style. The core vocals are great but there’s a severe lack of those pounding instrumentals complementing it I feel. That’s what I love about The Chariot and TDEP, it’s pure chaos, 100%, I feel like this band is trying too hard to set themselves apart from the crowd by adding fancy alternative vocals and lead guitars that don’t really fit into this type of music to my ears.

I’ll be honest, I really liked this song after one listen, after Modest Mouse it was probably my favorite. That’s where I got the “still manages to be fairly interesting“ from, because I was genuinely interested to listen to it atleast 5 times to find out every detail about it but as I got more and more listens in I started to discover stuff that made me like it not as much. IMO they would excel at being a post-hardcore band exclusively more than anything, the vocals are just made for it.

3.25/10

Scorpion: Witherscape – Marionette

So there’s definitely a very haunting vibe going on from the beginning on, and I felt like the intro would’ve gone on for a bit longer, but then suddenly WHEN THE FEELING DIES! :metal

I mean, you’re right, those are some of the best growls I’ve heard. I’m normally not much into growls that low but sometimes they work, like Be’Lakor’s new album, and this song. For that same reason I feel this is a bit unbalanced, the only problem I have with this song is that the growls section completely outweighs all the others, making the rest of the song less interesting.

I don’t know what I was thinking there to be honest, it’s a great thing to build a song upon. I just don’t hear songs with the chorus being the absolute climax that often, especially since that makes all the climaxes equally big since they’re the exact same here. Well I guess the guitar solo adds to that but it’s nothing special really. But the clean vocals I’m still not 100% sold on, they’re the type of metal powerballad vocals that I’m normally not into that much. Good thing the chorus and the orchestration behind it are killer because it still makes the whole a pretty good song and despite not being the biggest fan of the cleans it gives me something to look forward to for the entire duration.

3.75/5

Elite: Rendezvous Point – Wasteland

A djenty prog metal tune, alright I’ll take it. And if I’m not mistaken, this was the third support act for the europe Affinitour, the one that did not play at the show we attended?

The vocalist has a very intense dramatic tone to his voice, something I really dig, and along with the perfectly fitting synths it turns into a pretty neat modern progmetal tune. I wish this had just a tad bit more to it to set it apart from the crowd though, I like the song, but it could've been so much more.

I probably felt this way because most songs have their own cool climax near the end of the song, while this song sounds like the entire thing is one big climax. It’s not taking away from my enjoyment whatsoever though it just caught my attention. I feel like the whole is very balanced, it’s the only song this round where my full dedicated attention was towards everything that was going on, not just tunnelvisioning on one aspect, maybe it’s just the production quality, sounds very fresh.

I do feel like it should've been a little longer so that it could build up to this song or something, maybe the first song on the album + this would have been a great round 9 entry? :lol

3.75/5

Standings
1. Tomislav95: 60.75 + 4.25 = 65.0
2. Parama: 60 + 3.25 = 63.25
3. Bolsters: 58.5 + 4.0 = 62.5
4. Scorpion: 58.25 + 3.75 = 62.0
4. Elite: 58.25 + 3.75 = 62.0

The gap between 2nd and below has closed in a bit but Tomislav continues to gain a bit of lead, the next round could see some interesting shifts in the standings.

Schedule for next round

This one is going to go almost as quick as last round, this may turn out a little longer because it's basically 10 songs. Just to make clear everyone understands, time to repost the round 9 rules:

For round 9 you have two options:

1: You can send me two songs entirely separate from eachother, this could be two songs from the same band or two songs from different bands entirely, whatever, but in this case I would rate both songs out of 5 points and add up the scores for your total.

2: Send me two songs that follow up eachother, let me know if this is the case because if you do, I will rate the whole on a scale of 10 points, BUT this will include flow, so they have to be a smooth combination of songs, so either two songs that are on the same album played after eachother or two songs from the same band that you feel connect with eachother properly. No short intro/outro tracks, I want 2 full songs

If the songs are on the same album and are played after eachother on that album I will automatically count it towards option 2, but if you have 2 songs from the same band they don't necessarily have to count towards option 2 if you don't want them to, and I will rate them separately.

And maybe you should look at the options you have left for the EP because it's starting to get close, EP rules can be found here.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1340 on: August 09, 2016, 04:31:59 AM »
On the album the climax at the beginning is indeed better with the songs that precede it. That said, I believe Wasteland is still an outstanding track and can't really find myself in your comments on it. I might be too used to hearing the sing in the album's context though, so maybe you're right in the sense that as a seperate track it feels weird, or slightly out of place. That would not explain however, why the band chose to release this song as the album's single.
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1341 on: August 09, 2016, 04:37:22 AM »
Yeah it's something that just felt like it had to be said, but not really anything that took away from my enjoyment, it's still a great track. I would normally probably give it an 8/10 in any other round but this one I just took a different approach where scores were slightly nuanced.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1342 on: August 09, 2016, 05:19:37 AM »
Sent Round 9.
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1343 on: August 09, 2016, 05:25:22 AM »
Tomislav95: Modest Mouse – The Cold Part
The simplicity is what makes this work most of all, maybe for that same reason I didn’t enjoy Okkervil River as much because of those slim heavy sections.
This is exactly why I sent you The Cold Part :tup I was thinking others would find it monotonous and boring, I'm very glad you like it.
I'm still not sure what to send for R9, definitely two songs from different bands but dunno which bands. My EP will probably consist of well known artists so I'm thinking of sending bands you wouldn't find easily on your own in next round.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1344 on: August 09, 2016, 05:28:33 AM »
I should probably start thinking about what songs to use for my EP after I think about what to send right now.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1345 on: August 09, 2016, 07:16:56 AM »
Sent (on Spotify).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1346 on: August 09, 2016, 08:42:20 AM »
and that's why i sent them in the half-point round where i didn't have much ground to lose anyways  :lol
i think i know what i want to send but i'm going to just make sure, i'll send tonight

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1347 on: August 09, 2016, 02:36:14 PM »
My EP will probably consist of well known artists so I'm thinking of sending bands you wouldn't find easily on your own in next round.
*... continues to send me a band he has already partially introduced me to before* :lol which still applies though because I didn't find them on my own.

and that's why i sent them in the half-point round where i didn't have much ground to lose anyways  :lol
People with this mentality should be kicked tbh

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1348 on: August 09, 2016, 02:52:10 PM »
Yes but I'm the only one sending them in roulettes so you'd forget about them (as you did :P). My to-send list for your roulette is pretty big but I have almost sent or saved for EP all the bands I wanted to send. BTW I started listening to Modest Mouse during your roulette and Okkervil River clicked with me just recently, those two weren't planned.
Why I actually sent Modest Mouse

Turned out pretty well :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1349 on: August 09, 2016, 02:57:33 PM »
EAPZ aren't even mathcore anyways fwiw, like, not at all, way more post-hardcore with some prog tendencies :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1350 on: August 09, 2016, 03:06:45 PM »
Mainly the moment when the vocals kick in reminds me heavily of mathcore with lacking instruments, I guess I don't really care for such small differences anyways but I'm aware they tend to be more post-hardcore than anything else. Mathcore elements are definitely present at times so it shouldn't be too

to see where I'm coming from.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1351 on: August 09, 2016, 03:10:32 PM »
I'm more into physicscore tbh

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1352 on: August 09, 2016, 03:12:05 PM »
Meh it's alright but personally I've been more into the reinventors of mathcore, they label themselves as "calculuscore"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1353 on: August 09, 2016, 03:19:59 PM »
historycore tho

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1354 on: August 10, 2016, 02:41:52 AM »
Meh it's alright but personally I've been more into the reinventors of mathcore, they label themselves as "calculuscore"

I'm partial to its subgenre, ODEcore.

Also, sent. That should make everyone in.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (ROUND 9 LISTENING)
« Reply #1355 on: August 10, 2016, 03:03:28 AM »
That should make everyone in.
Hangmanen baby

__ ______ - ___ ________
_________ - ____ ___ ____ _
_____ ________ _________ - _______ __ ______
__ ______ - _______ _____ ___
______ ________ ____ ____ - _______ __ ____
________ - ________
_________ - ___ ___ ___

Results likely on sunday if I can keep up the pace, this week is slightly busier than the last one but only slightly.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1356 on: August 10, 2016, 03:06:01 AM »
The D.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1357 on: August 10, 2016, 03:06:15 AM »
Gimme the D.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1358 on: August 10, 2016, 03:09:04 AM »
Give the D to everyone.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1359 on: August 10, 2016, 03:12:58 AM »

Tomislav waits 3

Letters guessed: D

__ ______ - ___ ______d_
_____ ________ _________ - _____d_ __ ______
__ ______ - ___d___ _____ D__
______ _________ ____ ____ - ____d__ __ ____
_________ - ___ ___ ___
D_______ - ___d____

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1360 on: August 10, 2016, 03:15:01 AM »
Oops I completely forgot about the other two songs that have been sent to me this round :lol they were too forgettable to be worth a mention tbh

________ _________ ____ - __ _____ _____ D_ _____
________ _________ ____ - D____

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1361 on: August 10, 2016, 03:16:09 AM »
Imma go for the E.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1362 on: August 10, 2016, 03:20:54 AM »

:neverusethis:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1363 on: August 10, 2016, 03:21:50 AM »
I see multiple same artists.
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1364 on: August 10, 2016, 03:35:04 AM »

:neverusethis:
:splodetard:

Scorpion waits 3
Tomislav waits 2

Letters guessed: DE

__ _____e - ___ ____e_d_
_e__e___e - ____ _e_ ____ _
_____ ___e____ ____e____ - _____d_ __ ____e_
_e__e___e - ____ _e_ ____ _
__ _____e - ___d__e ___e_ D__
______ _________ __ee ____ - ____d__ __ ____
E____e___ - ___ ___ _e_
D_____e_ - ___d____
____e__e _e__e___e ____ - __ _e___ _____ D_ ____e
____e__e _e__e___e ____ - D____