Poll

Why are you still checking out this thread? The roulette has been completed for ages

For the sake of nostalgia
0 (0%)
I have no life so I am reading through old roulettes for entertainment
0 (0%)
Train of Naught
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 03, 2016, 01:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE  (Read 122609 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I said worst of the round, not worst of the roulette :corn

and i might be shitting u
Must've found a faulty youtube link then because it said Halloween was only like 5 minutes, but yeah I found it now. Apparently they're on the same album? So I may just check out the entire album for the heck of it, why not.

Not quote, Halloween is on Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. I (released in 1987), and the title track is on Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. II (1988). I've always considered them to be two different albums, but you can treat it as one big double album if you want. Just don't get the power metal overload. :lol

I'll begin with just the two songs then :lol
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:35:47 PM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Well, it still can't be me bcuz i got ateast 7.75 so  :corn
can't be bolsters or elite either
so it's scorp or tomislav anyways

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
All fair points. Well it was fun while it lasted and I think most of my risks paid off  :biggrin:

The more I participate in these the more I want to host one. Just not 100% I'd be able to dedicate the amount of time needed to host one. Best way to discover new shit though I think.

Dimmu are really awesome but I don't even really like black metal  :lol without the orchestral parts I don't think they would do anywhere near as much for me. The drummer on my two favourite Dimmu albums (Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia & Death Cult Armageddon), Nicholas Barker, is a beast!!

I haven't even got all their albums though saying that. Might have to fill in the blanks  :metal
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:54:32 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I voted Elite but reading your comment at Sacul it can't be him, you make it sound like Elite has a 58.25 or 58.5 score there which would only be like an 8.0 or 8.25 score with the bonus point

Mmmm math

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
You're reading into this waay too much :lol

The participate in these the more I want to host one. Just not 100% I'd be able to dedicate the amount of time needed to host one.
That's the biggest issue for most. I personally combined listening a lot with traveling and work but I realize not everyone has that luxury, writeups actually consume more time for me than the listening because I'm not a native english speaker and surprisingly have a hard time putting my thoughts into words, I'm a way better english-speaker than I am a writer. :lol I had the luck of being up right about when my vacation started, and despite planning activities and other stuff, I'm simply not going to be out 24 hours a day during the vacation so it wasn't hard finding time to listen at all.

Probably won't be doing this anymore for a long time after this one's over though, but I love participating so I'll still be around. :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
You're reading into this waay too much :lol

The participate in these the more I want to host one. Just not 100% I'd be able to dedicate the amount of time needed to host one.
That's the biggest issue for most. I personally combined listening a lot with traveling and work but I realize not everyone has that luxury, writeups actually consume more time for me than the listening because I'm not a native english speaker and surprisingly have a hard time putting my thoughts into words, I'm a way better english-speaker than I am a writer. :lol I had the luck of being up right about when my vacation started, and despite planning activities and other stuff, I'm simply not going to be out 24 hours a day during the vacation so it wasn't hard finding time to listen at all.

Probably won't be doing this anymore for a long time after this one's over though, but I love participating so I'll still be around. :metal

I don't think the listening would be too big a problem. I spend a lot of time each week listening to music and am lucky enough to be able to get away with it at work most of the time. I think the write ups, tidbits, hangman (I know I don't HAVE to do those but you know) and keeping the thread active during the whole process would be difficult. Everytime someone starts a new roulette they put their own spin on it which is nice, so I'd put pressure on myself to do that but not make it too convoluted.

If I did it I think you'd all have to put up with shorter write ups than some of you guys write (and I AM a native English speaker) as I struggle to describe (or even understand myself) what it is I like about certain songs :lol

Offline Tomislav95

I'd also like to host one but right now I'm in phase of discovering every album of my favorite bands (because I often just listen to 1 or 2 albums by band and forget to check the others) . Also, I have pretty big wishlist of new bands. And I'm not even sure if my English is good enough to write so much :P
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 02:23:27 PM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Yessssss!!!!

:D

---

Greetings from Spain :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Sorry for that short post above ^

I'm on holiday, and a little 'tipsy', typing this message on my phonr in a hostel in Granada. I honestly wasn't sure whether or not I would make the Finals, but I'm very glad that I did! :)

Apparently the gamble paid off (and the bonus point probably helped too, but everybody got those, so that doesn't really count). It remains to be seen whether or not my song was the best of the roulette so far, but frankly I don't really think it is, because it's an instrumental. Reading the write-ups, it seems like it was a close race indeed. I'll read everything I missed oncr I get access to something other than my phone.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
there is no food is def a great song, fwiw

Offline Tomislav95

I think Solstafir's is the best song and Okkervil River's the worst.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
no, this isn't mike's roulette so I didn't send the best song

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
My bet is also on Solstafir's, that's an amazing song, wow!
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I'm still pretty sure train is pulling my leg and he's gonna go "jk Parama is out" when he posts part 2 of the results

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Glad you liked Monsters! Their debut is amazing and definitely gorgeous. Hope you dig it :P

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
YES I WON LAST PLACE :neverusethis:
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline 425

Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (ROUND 7 RESULTS PT 1)
« Reply #1241 on: August 02, 2016, 09:51:20 PM »
Well, Train, now I feel a bit bad for calling you simply abysmal in the Iron Maiden survivor thread! :lol Though not really because you called my two favorite songs the two worst songs left. But you liked The Poet and the Pendulum! So that earns you major points, since I love it.

I'm honestly quite happy to leave it at this, even though it means my title goes undefended. I don't know what I would have send in two more rounds and an EP. I'm sure I would have found something, but I think it's better to go out with a band on the big epic.

And I feel that my work is done since you I've gotten you to give Death Cab and Nightwish both a second look. Just a note, Nightwish's later albums have very little in the way of synths—it's almost all the real orchestra. Their first four are synth heavy and have pretty much no real orchestra, but later on it becomes mostly genuine orchestra, choir, everything with synths only sometimes playing a big role.

I'm not sure I'd put Marco's vocals strictly into the core box, though he certainly has that kind of edge to his voice at times. Basically he's just their male vocalist who they use both for harsher sections and for sections where they need a deeper voice. You've already heard him before this round, in fact—he sings most of the choruses in I Want My Tears Back.

As far as your quick point about predictable heavy riffing, that would definitely be one of my major criticisms of Nightwish (they're one of my favorite bands, but even so, still have some criticisms). I would say they're not a band you listen to for the guitar work. Tuomas (the songwriter) definitely uses the guitar as just one component of a larger composition rather than the main attraction like in a lot of metal. The result is that the guitarist does sometimes get stuck doing some pretty uninteresting stuff that's more for texture than anything (kind of like the role that synth players sometimes get stuck in), while the orchestra parts or the vocals are the main focus. I understand why it's done and do find it to be kind of a novel attitude in the metal genre, and it's not something that bothers me. But I do sometimes wish there was a little more going on with the guitar. They also have very few guitar solos, though they absolutely make them count when they do have them (Ghost Love Score, Walking in the Air, Sleeping Sun). Still, that minor criticism aside, very good band that you should definitely check out! :tup

A few more things:

I like how you, compared to other participants, have a more select collection of music you send, but it keeps me entertained nonetheless.

Lol that's because I don't have that much music and take forever to check new things out :lol

Hence:

If you ever decide to host another roulette (probably not anytime soon) I’ll be there![/i]

Yeah my second roulette is probably going to take place on the backend of forever or something. Good to see people are catching on to this being a whole "might happen forever from now" thing.

Hey, 425, you don't get a better place than me this time. Last time you were what, first and I was second?

I do recall that happening, yes! Maybe next time you'll finally beat me. :P

Anyway, happy the Hail Mary was at least something you liked, Train! Not too worried about you not liking Neal or Jon Anderson so much, those are definitely cup of tea things. You might find that The Flower Kings really aren't your cup of tea either outside of a few songs, or maybe not, I don't know. Best of luck to everyone remaining, even Parama!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
ehy u wanna go kddd

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I ended up infront of Sacul who has 58 so that means I got at minimum 8.25 for the Gallowbraid song. Not bad, and it did what I had hoped - it got me through.

I should probably start thinking about what to send in my EP one day.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (R7 RESULTS/SEND R8)
« Reply #1244 on: August 03, 2016, 01:32:18 AM »
Story about Nightwish and other stuff
I bet it was intentional the way the guitars are mostly used for the rhythm and don't have much leads, bands do it but it's something I'm more used to in like shoegaze or something where they literally just slam powerchords most of the time. I don't have anything against it though it just caught my attention and it's something that has put me off with other bands, had no problem with it here.

Well, Train, now I feel a bit bad for calling you simply abysmal in the Iron Maiden survivor thread! :lol Though not really because you called my two favorite songs the two worst songs left. But you liked The Poet and the Pendulum! So that earns you major points, since I love it.
I have missed that entirely! :lol I don't visit the IM survivors much after I voted, but yeah over it's all in jest, when I say shit like "Battery is obviously way worse than Orion and anyone that doesn't agree with me is wrong" it's just the P/S attitude, everyone likes voicing their opinion in the worst way possible and it's pretty funny. :lol jakepriest and Dream Team know what's up.

I'll post the remaining 5 writeups right now, because I had been working on them yesterday aswell when their respective songs came up and actually just held on to them because I said I would.

Round 7 results part 2

Elite: Have a Nice Life – There Is No Food

I have seen this band and album up on your top 50 albums list pretty high and I know you’ve taken an appeal towards this over the years but before going into this I must say that I still have my doubts about ambient in general.

My first thoughts on this are that it sounds like a deep sea journey or something, I always have get that deep sea feeling from very distant ambient music but I can never quite put into words how I feel about it. But the overall vibe, man this gives me chills, I’m still not completely sold but ambient as a whole is starting to intrigue me more.

Listening to this, after it’s over I start to ask myself what’s so good about it, but then realize that there’s no need for that. I mean, I like what I’m hearing so why question it? This sure has started to grow on me and I feel like the lack of a really big climax is fine, that’s overly predictable and not suited for this song. Going into this I didn’t expect to like it more than the This Will Destroy You tune because that was already pretty good but yeah this has definitely convinced me to check out some more ambient.

8.0 (+ 1.0) = 9.0/10

Scorpion: Nevermore – Deconstruction

This is not really doing much for me, sounds like very standard metal riffage with some good-but-not-great vocals. The vocals in the verses remind me of Devin Townsend, they’re pretty enjoyable and add a very ominous vibe throughout that I like, but most of this songs riffs and vocal melodies just bore me.

I have no idea what the consensus is about this band, I’ve seen their name around quite often but I feel like this is the type of music I’ve moved past a couple of years ago and would’ve liked a lot more back then. Straightforward heavy metal riffage and fun yet deep-on-a-certain-level lyrics that are fun to sing along to. But I don’t feel that way anymore, sadly a song I felt like just skipping when it came up numerous times. The saving grace of this story has to be the acoustic guitar passage. Whenever something like that comes up, for instance on Mabool they made tons of use of it and all of it was spectacular (yeah I checked it out on my vacation and I fucking loved all of it), it always reminds me of the Sidewinder outro by Avenged Sevenfold, I’m sure you know it. I’m a sucker for those world-music acoustics, in this case with a latino vibe.

Fuck, I’m starting to meander around the facts. I wish I liked this a bit more because I can usually really dig your songs, but this has to be my least favorite submission by you so far. The Sigh track had very cool moments which, despite the weirder-than-Devil Doll vocals, was a pretty enjoyable listen. Since you’ve been doing very good the entire time you’re still in it, but not by much to my surprise. Stuff like Nevermore will not cut it in the finals!

6.5/10

Bolsters: Gallowbraid – Stone of Remembrance

For whatever reason I expected something similar to Caladan Brood. Oh that’s right, you explicitly mentioned sending this because I liked Caladan Brood. For that reason, this was probably one of the safest entries of the whole roulette, based on that band, because it has some very similar elements. It shares about the same cold black metal harsh vocals-clean chants balance and it’s one I’m falling in love with. From the start I get this winter-y vibe that maybe doesn’t fit as well in this time of year but no matter what the weather looks like, I always like my black metal  very cold and raw sounding.

For a song like this, they sure have some unusual guitar grooves going on at certain points, something I personally really dig but wouldn’t expect from a band like this. I’m used to the continuous powerchords a-la shoegaze with a few leads thrown in every so often but this at least sounds like a very innovative step in the black metal genre that I could get used to.

The clean vocal melodies here are not as great and singable as the ones in the Caladan Brood song but they’re still fine. It’s just that with that song it is what made me absolutely love it and here I’m missing that tiny bit of magic that makes it as good, but it was a very high standard to live up to because I love that song and this is not even too far behind it. Of course you’re still in the competition and I look forward to seeing you back in the finals. :metal

8.5/10

Parama: Solstafir – Djakninn

My bet is also on Solstafir's, that's an amazing song, wow!
yes, yes it is

I think I’ve seen lots of mediocre scores whenever you sent this band? You suffer, but why, this is a fantastic song. All kinds of paramacore came my way in the first 6 rounds and this is like a combination of various elements of things I’ve come to expect of you. I guess some would argue that it goes on for too long, but no way man, it’s perfect the way it is. I think the drums are especially awesome, in their simplicity they’re one of the most ‘emotional‘ drums (never thought I would say that about drums) I’ve ever heard. I’m not exactly sure how and why it happened but after my first listen this song hit me so hard emotionally and it’s the best thing this roulette has offered so far!

Come on, how can I not love this song. The vocals sure are an acquired taste, I’ll give you that, and I’ll be the first to admit I don’t find them spectacular by any means, but it’s only such a small section of the song and despite the overall tone of them not being my thing, the delivery still makes them pretty great. But when we get into the second half of the song, with the extended instrumental jam, I become speechless. You can already feel the tension building up during the vocals section with the slowly growing intensity of the guitars and from there (Óttinn boðar sortans endalok) it’s just epic all the way through. The simple chord-progression is solid, I would never have expected to like it so much as it doesn’t change much, but what wins me over are those drums, wow, they’re not even special, but they just work perfectly. Can’t really describe it with words but you sure delivered. So with this, obviously you’re in for the finals, cya in round 8 m8.

9.75/10

Tomislav95: Okkervil River – So Come Back, I Am Waiting

So instead of bringing it home with a secure solid r7 song - which seems but an effort for you – you go with something different entirely; I like it.

The song starts off very intimately with some great guitars and the first line gives me a Pink Floyd-like feeling. It’s not half bad, this song. The slow brass instrumentation has a very strong Antlers vibe indeed, and the overall chill/mellow-ness of the song makes it pretty neat. For this same reason I wish the song would remain calm, no need for those heavier sections at all. That makes me feel that this song is a bit unbalanced, the overall mellow atmosphere is ruined by those slim heavy sections. I don’t think this will become one of my favorites, but rather a pretty solid song that could’ve been so much better. :(

I don’t know about the first impression thing here, it’s still rubbing me the wrong way a bit but it’s not that out of place, it fits pretty neatly. It doesn’t make me enjoy the song way more but it does cause it to make more sense. It has its moments for sure and the overall chill vibe is what makes me like this track, but with reservations to the (very few) heavy sections. Good thing you had such a good lead to begin with because there’s still no danger whatsoever of you falling behind. Now it’s time to end the roulette with a bang!

7.25 (+ 1.0) = 8.25/10

So right now this is what the standings look like for just the 5 of you, full standings will be updated in the OP

Standings
1: Tomislav95: 52.5 + 8.25 = 60.75
2: Parama: 50.25 + 9.75 = 60
3: Bolsters: 50.0 + 8.5 = 58.5
4: Scorpion: 51.75 + 6.5 = 58.25
5: Elite: 49.25 + 9.0 = 58.25

Schedule for next round
We're heading into the final stages of the roulette and things have started to get a little more tight, Parama pulls back with the best song of the roulette after Tomislav has finally used his final bonus point and now only has a .75 point lead over him, with a total difference of 2.5 points between first and last.

Round 8 and 9 will be a little different. In reality, round 8 will just be another open round, but I will rate your song out of 5 instead of 10 points, so in the grand scheme of things it will make less of a difference than it normally would, use that info however you like.

For round 9 you can choose between two things:

1: You can send me two songs entirely separate from eachother, this could be two songs from the same band or two songs from different bands entirely, whatever, but in this case I would rate both songs out of 5 points and add up the scores for your total.

2: Send me two songs that follow up eachother, let me know if this is the case because if you do, I will rate the whole on a scale of 10 points, BUT this will include flow, so they have to be a smooth combination of songs, so either two songs that are on the same album played after eachother or two songs from the same band that you feel connect with eachother properly. No short intro/outro tracks, I want 2 full songs
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:40:19 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (R7 RESULTS / SEND R8)
« Reply #1245 on: August 03, 2016, 02:27:02 AM »
Well, that could've been better. But I'm glad I advanced, first time doing EP :)

Scorpion: Nevermore – Deconstruction
This is not really doing much for me, sounds like very standard metal riffage with some good-but-not-great vocals. The vocals in the verses remind me of Devin Townsend, they’re pretty enjoyable and add a very ominous vibe throughout that I like, but most of this songs riffs and vocal melodies just bore me.
I think Scorpion missed with the song, you'd like album Dead Heart in a Dead World (I think you would). They are IMO much better in soloing (Loomis and Broderick) than riffing. I'm riffs-ovor-solos guy but they are really good. And Warrel Dane is great great vocalist. I don't want you to wait for your v3 roulette to give them another chance :D

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1246 on: August 03, 2016, 04:47:24 AM »
Could be the case, but don't worry I won't completely dismiss any mediocre scoring bands until my third roulette because I'm not even sure that'll be in the next few years actually. It just means that band doesn't have my priority and I'll save it for later.

Going to give a bit of information on the EP round shortly too, somewhere between this round and the next probbably, depends on when I have it all figured out.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1247 on: August 03, 2016, 05:17:53 AM »
Sent cheesy metal.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1248 on: August 03, 2016, 06:01:21 AM »
I have a question regarding round 9: will you allow both songs to be 11+ minutes in length (two combined are 24 minutes long)?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1249 on: August 03, 2016, 06:26:34 AM »
I can only allow one of those to be 11+ sorry, wouldn't be fair to the ones that have already used up their 11+ minute song.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1250 on: August 03, 2016, 06:30:15 AM »
What if I cut 10 seconds of silence in 11:09 song :P jk this actually makes it easier, it would be pretty risky, I think.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1251 on: August 03, 2016, 06:35:41 AM »
But that's actually fine, if it's only over 11 minutes because of the silence. But I'm very strict with the 11 minutes since I basically only made it 11 to avoid all the complaints about 10:20 and 10:30 long songs and such.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1252 on: August 03, 2016, 06:42:01 AM »
Actually, the longer of two (13 minutes) has silence, I made a mistake :facepalm: but you'll probably get that band in this or next round.
EDIT: one more question ::) what do you mean by "No short intro/outro tracks, I want 2 full songs"? You mean interlude tracks, right? What if album intro track is 3-4 minutes long?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:50:28 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1253 on: August 03, 2016, 07:39:35 AM »
Yeah that might've been a bit unclear, I mean interludes. Could name examples but I think you get the idea, (usually) relatively short songs that act as an interlude to the 'main' song.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1254 on: August 03, 2016, 08:37:35 AM »
well, djanks for liking it, at least
i have no clue what to send for the next two rounds  :corn

the first thing that came to mind for round 9 is two ambient pieces that flow into each other, actually, which i shouldn't send

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: August 03, 2016, 09:08:12 AM »
Wanna check some ambient? Go with the Ulver albums I told ya :P

Also Felt by Nils Frahm.

Offline 425

« Reply #1256 on: August 03, 2016, 10:48:48 AM »
Wow, the best one was Parama's? Crazy!

Story about Nightwish and other stuff
I bet it was intentional the way the guitars are mostly used for the rhythm and don't have much leads, bands do it but it's something I'm more used to in like shoegaze or something where they literally just slam powerchords most of the time. I don't have anything against it though it just caught my attention and it's something that has put me off with other bands, had no problem with it here.

Yeah, I think it's the case for them because the symphonic elements play the role that the lead guitar would play most of the time. And this isn't an all-the-time thing for them, particularly on their earlier, more power metal albums, but it's something I think is interesting, and I think it's interesting that you pointed it out.

I have missed that entirely! :lol I don't visit the IM survivors much after I voted, but yeah over it's all in jest, when I say shit like "Battery is obviously way worse than Orion and anyone that doesn't agree with me is wrong" it's just the P/S attitude, everyone likes voicing their opinion in the worst way possible and it's pretty funny. :lol jakepriest and Dream Team know what's up.

Oh, I know, that's what I love most about P/S. :lol
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1257 on: August 03, 2016, 05:23:59 PM »
let it be known that I am still against round 8 only being worth 5 points

it's so arbitrary

maybe I'll just send literallu half a song  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1258 on: August 03, 2016, 05:37:47 PM »
Yeah, I cut my song in half. Train is getting the other half when I get my other 5 points.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: August 03, 2016, 07:22:16 PM »
Can I send you a post-roulette EP? There's some nice stuff I think you'd dig I didn't end up sending  :corn