Poll

Why are you still checking out this thread? The roulette has been completed for ages

For the sake of nostalgia
0 (0%)
I have no life so I am reading through old roulettes for entertainment
0 (0%)
Train of Naught
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 03, 2016, 01:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE  (Read 122448 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm feeling the most confident I've felt in this roulette so far I think  :corn

Same for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i'm a 2/10 in a 7/10 world

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
How is this round coming along? No rush, just curious.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
actually, pretty sure there is indeed rush in this round

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I think Train is in France. Poor sod
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
 :lol

Im surprised not everyone knew that! I posted it a lot of times on multiple occasions.

Anyway, I'll pick it up tomorrow but I've planned more shit than I expected over the weekend so possibly a 1 day delay or something compared to the schedula listed on the bottom of the latest results.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I took French for about 6 years in grade school and I remember very little of it

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I too know very little, i know the essentials though (beer, bathroom and thanks)

What slightly worries me is the amount of english words some of the french people in their 20-30's know, i dont think they can ever leave the country tbh.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Huh, interesting. When I was in Netherlands I had the impression almost everyone there speaks English on a reasonable level.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Yeah, in the Netherlands everybody can speak English. France is very different, though.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
France really likes France

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Yeah dutchies are pretty damn good at english. There were all kinds of special programmes you could take @ my middle school on top of the obligatory english class, and people would improve a lot on discussing abilities, creative writing and more.

I took none :biggrin:

On my way back home I gave all the songs some listens on the train (nuggetz) and I have a good idea of how to rank the songs amongst eachother, but don't know if the #1 is worth a 9 or a 9.25. Honestly a really solid round, maybe the most solid in terms of score average so far.

I may have some tidbits ready tonight, if not, tomorrow.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Got a ton of cool new albums/bands to look forward to now, even if I'm not working on the roulette I can listen to roulette stuff :metal

Now, it's time for some tidbits, I have 8 for you. Results probably tomorrow? Maybe friday, I'm not sure yet.

I would’ve hated this last year but now I think it’s really good

This is very different from everything I associate you with musically, and it sounds a lot like something one of the other participants would send. Favorite of the round quite easily

This would be a total blast live but in this setting I think it's just alright but not amazing

This is the reason that I shouldn’t write off a band after 1 song, what, this is awesome

At this point I didn’t think it would be possible, but you actually weirded me out with the vocals at some points, and I’m a recent casual Devil Doll listener so that says a lot

I kept my expectations low, and it did have a few great moments that came as unexpected to me, but overall not that great

If everything on this album is up to par with this I can definitely see why it’s somewhat praised on DTF

Not particularly fond of the vocals, they do kinda work here but I wouldn’t mind if they had some more power to them

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
1. maybe
2. no, sadly
3. hope not
4. no
5. no
6. i'm gonna destroy you if this is it
7. no
8. doesn't sound like it

i feel ready to be disappointed again

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Let's do this Parama style.

1. Maybe
2. Don't think so
3. Nope
4. Maybe
5. Definitely not
6. Better not be mine (don't think it is though)
7. Definitely not
8. Maybe

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
oppa parama style
*blaring synths*

Offline Tomislav95

This is the reason that I shouldn’t write off a band after 1 song, what, this is awesome

I know you heard the band I sent before and didn't like them so I guess this one could be about mine. At least I hope it is.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
If your musical development over the last year has been anything like mine over the last two years, then I can very easily see #1 being mine. At least I hope so.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 04:10:49 AM by Scorpion »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I don't really think any of these are mine, though #2 would be nice.
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Results will definitely be up tomorrow, I have already written the outlines of most of the writeups because someone offered to take over my shift for today and I was like alright I'll take a free day off so I had some more time to listen. Will be away for most of the day now though, but results will probably be up 24 hours from now orso so get your shit together for the second-to-last round before elimination!! :metal

Statistically, literally everyone still has a chance of coming out on top with at least a 20 point lead over the #2 after round 7. Realistically, probably not but you gotta believe.

Offline 425

Mine's one of the ones with weird vocals.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Round 5 Results

Scorpion: Sigh - Amnesia

At this point I didn’t think it would be possible, but you actually weirded me out with the vocals at some points, and I’m a recent casual Devil Doll listener so that says a lot

That main riff is fucking catchy and one of the best hooks of the round to be honest, but I really think you passed the weird-meter with the vocals for me. It’s still a good song though but I can’t help but be turned off by it at some points.

I will say though, that this is a very cool, interesting mix of styles that I never expected. But, it does go on and on for ages I feel, I feel like I’ve heard it all after a couple of minutes and while the piano and guitar jams are very cool they’re on the loose end of a cohesive piece, giving it a bit of a live extended jam feeling. Those have their moments but in a song like this it sounds a bit off to me. It’s funny I end up not really minding the weird vocals but the length ended up being my only real) issue, as I still quite like songs that I rate with this score.

7.0/10

Sacul: Zardonic - Vigilante

This song man, it sure has its great moments, it got me headbanging unvoluntarily, it’s actually quite progressive sounding opposed to most of the Zardonic I’ve heard before, but it still suffers a bit from the “repeated sample syndrome“ I explained in the Electronic topic. I can’t give it my full admirations because of it.

This would surely be a blast in a live setting, but right now I find it ‘solid‘, with the addendum that it would improve to my enjoyment if it was slightly shorter too.

7.25/10

Twosuitsluke: Chthonic – Supreme Pain For The Tyrant

So.. Taiwanese deathmetal is what this is right? You said it was symphonic blackmetal but to me it has more of a deathmetal vibe to it. Anyway, it sounds kinda rad, totally going for the extreme asian metal because of the success Dir En Grey got :P When he sings “Swallow the sun“ and the way they phrase it, it keeps reminding me of “follow the straight line“ in BTBAM’s Obfuscation.

Enough BS, time to discuss the song. It’s a blast. Great how they pulled off making the vocals sound somewhat diverse, I would say that these are, technically speaking here, the best growls I’ve heard in a good while. Though I think you would understand where I’m coming from when I say they are a bit tiring at first to get through, and it makes the song sound a lot longer than 4 minutes and 45 seconds. :lol I don’t know if they’re my favorite but you can’t deny the talent these guys (+ babe) share. My favorite thing about this song is still the symphonic stuff thrown in though, it adds a nice elegance to the whole thing even though the song is agressive as fuck and they probably sing about death or something. :lol Could say your confidence paid off here, great band I would probably never have heard of in my life if it wasn’t for you.

8.0 + (1.0) = 9.0

Splent: Scorpions – No One Like You

So after a Scorpions cover you go with a Scorpions song :lol

I gotta say, with this song, I know exactly what I’m going to get and that’s fine. I wouldn’t say I know a lot of Scorpions music but I know enough to see that they’re some pretty straight to the point rockers. And with this song it’s the same, great rocking riffs, nice vocals in the verses especially though not nearly on the same level as Still Loving You IMO. But overall it’s not the kind of thing I would keep on listening to after having heard it a few times, does not have the same musical impact on me that it had for the first listen, like it did with you probably.

7/10

Elite: maudlin of the Well – Heaven And Weak

I don’t know if it was Kayo Dot or motW, but I’ve tried 1 song from either (or maybe 2), turned it off before it was over and never looked back. What. This is awesome why did I do that?

Like, it starts out very calmly, I think the Kayo Dot I heard sounded kinda similar stylistically, and it has kind of an ominous horror vibe to it almost :lol and then at the same time it’s pretty beautiful. The best part though is when all hell breaks loose and the song becomes heavier. I guess that’s the part I never got to because I stopped listening to the songs halfway through.

Had “Bath“ on my list before but now I’m definitely checking it out.

8.25/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Dark Tranquility – What Only You Know

Somehow you seem to alternate between the alright and the great more than anyone, and so far they have all been either very high or low, by my standards atleast, but I think this is neither. Just a very good metal song alternating between melodic deathmetal and some kind of alternative metal sound to it in the verses. The chorus, like most melodeath choruses I’ve heard, sounds very euphoric and big, exactly how I like it, similar to the In Flames song from last round for example.

But I think I like this one just a tad bit better because of the ominous evil harsh vocals, they’re not just evoking agressiveness but also kind of a cold feeling you get from black metal. Pretty cool tune dude.

8.0/10

Tomislav95: Amorphis – Under The Red Cloud

Well for an album that seems to be very loved around DTF I guess I can see why, this song really has a huge epic sound to it, starting from the very beginning with that guitar melody, and I just love the sheer intimacy of the piano. The singer sounds like he could be on a progpower band, and those usually have very strong vocals, but now I can’t help but be interested in what’s to offer harsh vox-wise, I know I wasn’t impressed when I tried out this album for the first time but I’d probably like it more now.

The guitar solo is magical. It ties the song together quite nicely, the way it flows perfectly into that one last chorus. Yeah I love this, it’s actually not too far off my favorite song of the round, since this one grew on me a lot.

9.0/10

Bolsters: Hybrid – Break My Soul

Another band I’ve never even heard of from you and it seems to be a blend of some kind of slowed down version of neurofunk, along with orchestral elements and female vocals. The chorus is catchy, and the vocals definitely do fit the style of the song, but I still feel like they lack some power.

But I really wouldn’t mind, it’s a relaxing vibe and I can dig it. But the pause in the middle kinda bothers me, it kills the mood and feels like the entire song has to start up again.

The orchestral elements are very present and I love them, they sound very dramatic, but it does kinda meander for a couple of minutes I feel, and because of that I can’t say I enjoy it as much as a whole, not a bad song but I bet you hoped for more. :P

7.25 + (1.0) = 8.25

Evermind: ReVamp – The Anatomy Of A Nervous Breakdown: Neurasthenia

With all the new Devin album hype and more tours coming up I bet everyone is looking forward to some more music from him. But he really fulfills the role of ‘guest vocalist‘ perfectly here, meaning he is not in the spotlight at all. He just adds some cool atmosphere to the song with his raspy voice. But the girl singer is so damn good! “And I’m losing ground!“ is one of the most epic lines of this roulette. Actually the whole chorus is damn perfect.

Actually the parts I like least are the ones where Devy does take over the spotlight, just give me more of those female vocals. :P But there’s not much of him on the foreground which is fine, because from what I understand he is only on this one song so I could totally get into this band and it would be totally fresh.

In the end I got more and more theatric vibes from this song, actually has a very strong Devin Townsend vibe to it even on the parts that don’t include him.

8.5/10

Home: Nothing More – This Is The Time (Ballast)

I don’t know if you realize this, but this band (or song, atleast) totally sounds like something Bolsters would send. That said, I fucking love it. Something a bit heavier from you this time around as I didn’t even know this almost djent-y prog metal kinda stuff was in your library at all.
The chorus is catchy, energetic and straight to the point, and the harsh vox really pump it up. I can always appreciate some nice clean/harsh transitions mid-sentence aswell and this guy knows what's up with that.

This song reminds me of so much different stuff but I can’t name a single one of them, like a combination of the pop-metal stuff of Periphery and pretty much any of the electronic metal/djent bands Bolsters would send. But I’m not entirely sure.

Anyway, screw it, I’m not hesitating, this is the best song of the roulette so far! Not by much, but yeah.

9.5/10

Parama: Rosetta – Absent / Beta Aquilae

Out of everything you’ve sent, this is actually the first piece of harsh noise!

But nah for real though, I would’ve hated this last year, like really hated it, but now after multiple listens I can truly appreciate it. Almost for the exact same reasons that I liked the Obsidian Kingdom song so much, it’s like the abstract art form of music, have no idea of the underlying meaning of any of this but it sounds pretty amazing and all kinds of different emotions come to mind. I’m slowly figuring out that I love those distant screams as they capture a very dark/cold sound. As the only things I’ve heard that are considered post-metal are some Cult Of Luna albums and The Ocean’s Pelagial (which is kind of a stretch if you ask me) I am treading new grounds here and it’s been a great one at that really.

I did notice that this didn’t do nearly as much for me without headphones, my very first impression was pretty awful because I couldn’t even make out any of the vocals under all the harsh noise. :lol Great return to form here, don’t punish me in the minilette please :tup :tup

8.5/10

425: Rush - YYZ

I hate being in a position where I have to rate a Rush song :lol because they’re so loved.

I’m not the first in this, but you’re definitely better off sending me an instrumental song by them, not a big fan of the vocalist. I kept my expectations low since well, I could only go up from there right? There’s some very cool groovy moments here and there but I feel like overall this is not on the legendary prog level. I know the release date has a lot to do with it aswell but that doesn’t really improve my enjoyment at all because I can just listen to modern prog if I want to hear innovative rhythms and grooves.

Like the Echoes instrumental Evermind sent me I’m usually not a big fan of the whole main theme situation where they build a song around 1 riff with some cool licks and solos to flavour it up a bit. A lot of the time that 1 riff is the most memorable part after multiple listens and with Stream of Consciousness for instance I don’t mind since I love that riff. Here, meh, I think it’s an alright tune but nothing too great, sorry.

Actually this became way better after more listens, it was kind of the bore of the round to me, before, but I’m really starting to feel it. The cool eastern-sounding guitar solo, the groovy riffs, the upscaling tempo. Very neat. Though I can’t help but think I will not become a fan of this band, still I will definitely give them a try sometime.

7.75 + (1.0) = 8.75

Standings
Tomislav95: 35.0 + 9.0 = 44.0 (XX)
Scorpion: 35.5 + 7.0 = 42.5 (XX)
Twosuitsluke: 33.0 + 9.0 = 42.0 (XXX)
Parama: 33.25 + 8.5 = 41.75 (XX)
Bolsters: 33.5 + 8.25 = 41.75 (XX)

Home: 32.0 + 9.5 = 41.5 (XX)
Sacul: 34.25 + 7.25 = 41.5 (XXX)
Evermind: 31.75 + 8.5 = 40.25 (XX)
425: 31.25 + 8.75 = 40.0 (X)
Elite: 31.5 + 8.25 = 39.75 (X)
Splent: 32.5 + 7.0 = 39.5 (XX)
Shadow Ninja 2.0: 30.5 + 8.0 = 38.5 (X)

People who have to use bonuses in every round from now in order to have used them all before the cut-off point (obviously, not obligatory): Shadow Ninja 2.0, 425 and Elite

Schedule for next round
Okay, I'm fine with how things panned out now because I think it shouldn't be a problem to get round 6 results up before I'm going on vacation, 9 days from now. Going to try the same as usual with a bit more space for myself, so I'd like all the songs between the 48 hours-span and then the results will probably be up about a week from now.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Dammit. :(

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Really chuffed with that score. Didn't even really cross my mind to send Chthonic until this point to be honest. They are a really different sounding band. There's another song of theirs (can't remember the name but I'll look it up in a bit) where they sing this part all in Taiwanese and something about the language works so well with the vocals and sounds unlike anything I've ever heard.

Can't quite believe I've managed to creep up to third. Might try something well out if the box next round, if I take the chance now I still might be able to remain in the top 5.

Only time will tell if I have the balls as I have no clue as to whether you would like the style of music, or if you've ever even heard it  :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
So I've gained like exactly no ground, haha. Fine then, you'll get my next entry in a few hours.

Evermind: ReVamp – The Anatomy Of A Nervous Breakdown: Neurasthenia

With all the new Devin album hype and more tours coming up I bet everyone is looking forward to some more music from him. But he really fulfills the role of ‘guest vocalist‘ perfectly here, meaning he is not in the spotlight at all. He just adds some cool atmosphere to the song with his raspy voice. But the girl singer is so damn good! “And I’m losing ground!“ is one of the most epic lines of this roulette. Actually the whole chorus is damn perfect.

Actually the parts I like least are the ones where Devy does take over the spotlight, just give me more of those female vocals. :P But there’s not much of him on the foreground which is fine, because from what I understand he is only on this one song so I could totally get into this band and it would be totally fresh.

In the end I got more and more theatric vibes from this song, actually has a very strong Devin Townsend vibe to it even on the parts that don’t include him.

8.5/10

This "girl singer" is belting out the bloody growls on some of the songs. :lol

edit: checked out this Nothing More song... did nothing for me, but I can see how it would get 9.5 in your book, it seems like exactly what you would like. Too bad I don't have stuff like this in my library.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
girl singer

Ever heard the name Floor Jansen? ;)
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online twosuitsluke

Ok, I found the song I mentioned, it's called Takao

https://vimeo.com/37934563

For some reason the studio version isn't on youtube. So if you liked the vocals on the song I sent you check out the vocals at 2:13 in this song, really different. It's like this language is made for this style of music.

I must admit I'm not really into much black metal. The other real exception for me is Dimmu Borgir, they are symphonic black metal and sound very similar to Chthonic. If you've not heard them before I'd definitely check them out as they are better than Chthonic in my opinion.

Last point, Doris (bassist) is so smoking hot, everyone should at least check her out  :heart

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
oh, that's okay i guess
i think everyone has liked rosetta a decent bit now, which is good

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
girl singer

Ever heard the name Floor Jansen? ;)
Yeah, once or twice. I knew it was her too because it got mentioned in the PM, didn't mean anything ordinary with "girl singer" which it seems to imply. :lol

@Luke that sounds pretty awesome, I'll enjoy this band for sure. I've seen Dimmu Borgir live, they were an opening act for Korn :rollin it was a really cool show but didn't really fit the mood as I was just a 11-year old kid (or something around that age) looking to hear some cool Korn songs and suddenly there were two opening acts, one of which a british punk-rock kinda band and the other being Dimmu Borgir.

Never really checked out any of their songs to be honest but I should, it's been so long I can't even remember what a single second of their music sounds like.

Online twosuitsluke

Chthonic are quite similar to Dimmu Borgir so when you're ready to give them a listen I can send you some album/song suggestions. Some one might go ahead and send in this roulette though  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
That Nothing More song is pretty awesome; I think I sent it in a roulette once. Or maybe I'm misremembering? Nah, that could never happen. :P

Also sent.

Offline Tomislav95

Woohoo I like where I stand right now :D
Tbh I probably won't use my third bonus, I can't think of anything worthy.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
why won't I enter the top 5
Squ

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I sent several hours ago but didn't post it in the thread, I'm sure you were all wondering if I had or not.