Poll

Why are you still checking out this thread? The roulette has been completed for ages

For the sake of nostalgia
0 (0%)
I have no life so I am reading through old roulettes for entertainment
0 (0%)
Train of Naught
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 03, 2016, 01:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE  (Read 122530 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Oh, who woulda thought.

Okay now that we have all the albums out of the way (except for Dave's), I'll reveal the songs:

1. Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Im Rauch
2. Mew - Comforting Sounds
3. Susanne Sundfor - Knights Of Noir
4. Schizoid Lloyd - Suicide Penguin
5. Kashiwa Daisuke - City In The Lake
6. Eluveite - A Rose For Epona
7. Sonata Arctica - Still Loving You (Scorpions Cover)
8. Pure Reason Revolution - Bullits Dominae
9. Echoes - Despair
10. ??? (2nd song off the album so if someone finds out the album somehow you can look up the song aswell)
11. Agent Fresco - Dark Water
12. In Flames - Only For The Weak
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
still have no clue  :corn

also damn, evermind sent comforting sounds? 10/10 tbh

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
It's Blue Stahli - The Devil

I'll just do hangman again the next rounds this is no fun
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
clearly. it's impossible to guess an album cover if you don't know it to begin with  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Still bummed someone sent Agent Fresco. At least I saw them live two days ago.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (ROUND 4 TEASERS)
« Reply #706 on: July 03, 2016, 06:37:00 AM »
It's a solid round guys, still waiting for that 10/10 but I don't know if it's possible with the way I rate the songs right now. There's definitely a 9 in it for one of you though!

This might just be crazy enough to work

These guys really make this music more accessible to the mainstream crowd

I’ve liked literally every song I’ve heard from this band including this one, but since they’re a pretty popular band it doesn’t shock me that they sound a bit more stripped down than the usual [genre] band

I started to lose hope of ever getting this kind of music in my roulette but I’m really glad I did

I can’t, for the life of me, figure out why I still haven’t checked out this artist after my first roulette

This song is literally an intermission between the other songs of the round, really chill, but nothing I’d listen to specifically

This is way way waaaaaay better than the other song I’ve heard by this artist

Furthermore, the winner of the bonus round is Shadow Ninja (234), 15 albums away from the exact amount which is 249. So SN2 wins his second bonus in a row, I wonder if it's actually going to help him at all. In second place we have Parama with 283 and third place is home with 342. Rewards will be coming your way tomorrow probably.

In last place we have twosuitsluke with 1850 :lol man, I thought I had a lot of albums on Spotify and I only have saved like 120 or something. Then again, I only save the albums that I know I'll listen to shortly or have in my rotation at times, it woul;d probably be more if I literally saved everything that I would want to check out ever.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Ouch. Let's flip out our guesses then?

I guessed 367. 249 is really small amount to be honest (as is 367 actually, but I knew you had a relatively small audio library)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Haha yeah it's relatively small, though it would probably be near 400 if I actually saved all the albums that I've ever listened to regularly. Everything I have on Spotify right now are albums I do listen to pretty regularly. For instance, I only have 2 DT albums on it but I have listened to all of them (except for WDADU) a ton. Maybe not the best example since I have nearly all DT albums physically so they're still part of the collection, but you get the idea.

Ouch. Let's flip out our guesses then?
I'll flip out the last place guess: 1850!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
You already flipped out the last place guess in your previous post. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Oh, wtf? You're right. Well here it is again! 1850!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I was clearly way off with 850 then.

Offline Tomislav95

If you flipped it twice is it really unflipped now? :o
I don't think any of those tidbits are about my song.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #713 on: July 03, 2016, 08:00:45 AM »
Let's flip it out then  :lol I guessed 342

I can’t, for the life of me, figure out why I still haven’t checked out this artist after my first roulette

Could very well be one of these, but I haven't even checked which score See Hell got in you previous roulette  :P

Still bummed someone sent Agent Fresco. At least I saw them live two days ago.

Seeing Agent Fresco live must be amazing! :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Yes it is. Best band of the weekend.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: July 03, 2016, 10:30:32 AM »
I remember you not digging Stella when I sent it on the championship, so this is probably mine :P

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Wow, I knew my guess was going to be on the upper end of the spectrum but still. I guess you're not the sort of person who gets a whole bands discography once you get into them then!!  :facepalm:

I must admit there are some bands that I only have like one album that I love but haven't gotten the rest of their albums. I really didn't think I'd be that far off, especially with people on this forum, as we are generally dedicated to digesting a LOT of music. I'm a bit older than you though so you will hit 1850 before you know it  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
oops, I meant 238 not 283, it was a typo

1. no
2. maybe
3. this is in flames
4. no, i already sent the frame  :lol
5. this is pure reason revolution
6. i sure hope not
7. this is agent fresco

i have no clue what you were actually sent in your first roulette tbh

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
5. this is pure reason revolution
Actually I can figure out why I never checked out Pure Reason Revolution after my first roulette, it's because I hadn't even heard of that name until just a few days ago :lol

i have no clue what you were actually sent in your first roulette tbh
it shows

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
then sacul is right and it's kojima dasnake

well #5 is agent fresco and #7 is script tunes B

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Wow, I knew my guess was going to be on the upper end of the spectrum but still. I guess you're not the sort of person who gets a whole bands discography once you get into them then!!  :facepalm:

I must admit there are some bands that I only have like one album that I love but haven't gotten the rest of their albums. I really didn't think I'd be that far off, especially with people on this forum, as we are generally dedicated to digesting a LOT of music. I'm a bit older than you though so you will hit 1850 before you know it  :lol
Yeah I'm not one to tackle a band's discography all at once, even if I really like what I'm hearing. In my first roulette I sometimes banned just one or two albums off an artist but now I figured since I'm going to check them out anyway I'd prefer to get some new bands coming my way in these roulettes.

I do digest a lot of music in short periods of time, sometimes I feel it's even a bit too much, but I'm also pretty quick in writing off a band if I don't like an album too much after just one listen.

then sacul is right and it's kojima dasnake

well #5 is agent fresco and #7 is script tunes B
I admit nothing

I remember you not digging Stella when I sent it on the championship, so this is probably mine :P
nothing

Offline 425

I guessed 367. 249 is really small amount to be honest (as is 367 actually, but I knew you had a relatively small audio library)

I have 275. And I'm way slower at checking out artists than Train is.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I guessed 420 because that's a dope number.

I have no clue how many albums I have. I have listened to a lot of records, but I only keep those I really like and revisit often, but they're around... 250-300?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #723 on: July 03, 2016, 01:25:03 PM »

I believe that this one is mine, because you rejected my first submission because you got that song in your first roulette, and I know that you liked it a fair bit too.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I'm doing my final listen right now, also made room for potential extra listens for one or two songs if I feel the need to so I can post the results before going to work. So... results in about 3 to 4 hours from now! :metal

Line up your submissions for next round! I'll be in France for the weekend (9th - 11th of July to be precise) so I won't have time for the roulette during that weekend, would be great to get one listen in before I leave the country.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
You're going to the Euro 2016 Final!?
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Nope, going to Amiens, not even close to Saint-Denis unfortunately which is where the final takes place. It should be cool being in France during the final anyway but it was not a priority of ours when planning this trip.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (ROUND 4 RESULTS)
« Reply #727 on: July 04, 2016, 08:17:56 AM »
Round 4 Results

Parama: Mew – Comforting Sounds

So another parama-favorite here.

I love the second half of this song, it’s almost as dreamy as the Slowdive song I got last round. But this one takes a lot of time to really get going, therefore I can’t fully appreciate it. It seems like that's not the first time this has happened to me with your songs in this roulette. :(

I honestly don’t know how I feel about these kind of lullaby-like vocals, it fits the mood, that’s for sure, but at times I get kinda bored of the same “dun-dun-dun-dun“ melody over and over. You scored some good ‘ol points for that second half of the song which is pretty beautiful but I don’t think you’ve found a new Mew fan today.

7.25/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore – Im Rauch

I guess with this kind of chill stylistically minimalistic song I can really enjoy the mood and I can relax to it, but it’s not doing an awful lot for me. The sax is what really carries this song though and I wish it would be more present at times, gives it that chill jazz-lounge vibe that I’ve really been enjoying as of late. Being mostly the kind of music I’d put on in the background when I’m not really doing anything interesting, this song almost feels like an intermission between the other songs of the round, really chill, but nothing I’d listen to specifically

So still a pretty good song but it seems pretty much everyone is sending really good songs right now, I think people are starting to figure me out.

7.0 + (1.0) = 8.0/10

Splent: Sonata Arctica – Still Loving You

You have quite a standard to live up to here :lol

I said this through PM but splent unknowingly helped me rediscover one of my favorite 80’s tunes, I’ve heard this song my entire life but never knew the name and checking it now I remember how much I love the original, but now I’m dealing with a power metal cover of that song, interesting..

But goddamn this starts out fantastically! I mean, I could’ve done with a slightly slowed down chorus but this is powermetal so I’m not shocked. The opening phase of this song still gives me the chills, no matter what version, and what I’ve always admired from the whole powermetal scene is the vocals. Whether you like powermetal or not, you can’t deny this music has some of the most talented singers ever. The orchestral elements are a cool addition too, very dramatic sounding which really fits to this song. God I just love when he does that evil laugh and the whole band comes in!

You getting me to rediscover the original is one thing, but putting that aside you stiull delivered this round, great adaptation of the Scorpions song with some nice guitarwork and vocals like no tomorrow.

Please do a vocal cover of this splent. :D

8.5 + (1.0) = 9.5/10

Evermind: Echoes - Despair

I think this kinda suffers from the same thing that focus hocus pocus did, it has the same riff repeated a lot, though here it’s a fair bit more natural, it’s basically the main foundation that the piece centers around, everything is based on it but it isn’t repeated in a useless fashion, BUT, I don’t like this riff nearly as much as the one in that song. What does make up for it is that some of the cool stuff that gets thrown in - like the acoustic guitar and the symphonic arrangements, not to mention the Ihsahn-like sax – flows really naturally.

So I still think this is a “fine“ song, in that it is enjoying at certain points, and I wouldn’t turn this off if I had to put a lot of effort into doing so, but nothing of this would make me return to an album full of this kind of stuff (which I hope it isn‘t), let alone an entire band.

6.25 + (1.0) = 7.25/10

Bolsters: Blue Stahli – Not Over Til We Say So

I’m glad you’re continuing with electronic stuff because it’s always interesting, no matter how good it might turn out. The BT song was excellent – that chorus is still stuck in my head - but I think I like this even better.

For a band labeled as “related to Celdweller“ this is quite heavy, damn. But I’m digging it! This one left a phenomenal first impact on me: Great grooves, powerful chorus and just a lot of that electronic/metal stuff that I seem to like a lot. Admittedly one of the very few songs this round where my chorus wasn’t the favorite part but with a song this consistently good there’s no harm in that.

8.5/10

Sacul: Kashiwa Daisuke – City In The Lake

14 minute instrumental? Nah you crazy..

Nevermind this is A-ma-zing! Wow! I don’t mean to offend you because it was like one of your all time favorite songs or something but I think this is way way waaay better than Stella.

I like this intimate piano opening. With Stella, they had this beautiful 4 chord-piano progression that I really liked but they purposely added a lot of glitchiness and distortion to the whole situation to the point where it didn’t really move me, but with this song it’s awesome. The whole violin situation is very dramatic, exactly how I like it, and that wayit builds up nicely into this bombastic core of the song. Then just when I’m about to think the song starts to lose steam and has to do a slow buildup again they start with the funky bass grooves and I’m sold. The entire thing is just so well thought out.

I like everything about this song,  and in its 14 minute run-time it doesn’t drag a single second. It’s somehow missing that final spark but everything is great enough to get you your first 9/10, so I think this was a phenomenal choice for your 11+ minute song.

9.0 + (1.0) = 10/10

Scorpion: Susanne Sundfor – Knight of Noir

So, most of the time when I reject a song mentioning that every other song by that band is allowed they go with a different band, but I like this attitude, why not? I liked The Brothel so no harm in some more Susanne Sundfor right?

I can’t, for the life of me, figure out why I still haven’t looked into her music. The vocal melodies are always intriguing, something that seems very hard to pull off for singer-songwriters that have already put out lots of music. I will never be all over this kind of music like some people would but this chick is without a doubt one of my favorites already.

8.25/10

Twosuitsluke: In Flames – Only For The Weak

It’s funny you mention not wanting to play it safe, sending melodic deathmetal is probably one of the safest things you can do in my roulette. :lol Anyway, moving on..

So far so good. The guitar melodies are followable and not too complex, which is where melodeath seems to usually lose me if it does. The chorus is just a great, sing-along-able anthem and overall some good replay value here. Though it’s kind of what I expected In Flames to be like, a good accessible band that represents their genre very well and has everything to offer, but I’m missing that little bit of extra magic. Don’t know what exactly, but something about this lacks the depth that gets me to be absolutely amazed by it. It’s still a very good song though – I can’t not sing along with that chorus once it comes up - and thus you get a pretty good score, but as it seems people are really starting to figure me out and scores start to get more consistent.

7.75/10

Elite: Schizoid Lloyd - Suicide Penguin

Well this sure is something. These guys seem to have all sorts of influences from all sorts of decades. Really when referring to liking the unconventional stuff in classic/neoclassic prog this is exactly what I mean. I love the what seems like short interactions between different people, which is probably just one incredibly talented guy. The use of falsetto is just great.

Great tune man, I did expect something very weird and got exactly that, but it’s all in good fun and I can really dig this, even moreso than everything you’ve sent before.

8.5/10

425: Pure Reason Revolution – Bullits Dominae

Always nice to see songs being passed around from roulette to roulette, I’ve done that a bit in the past aswell and still plan to do so if that person is not participating in the same one.

And Nekov.. he has some pretty great music man. I can see why this was one of your favorites and it definitely has that 425 flavour to it. Some pretty calm comforting music with a great explosive chorus. The male singer reminds me a bit of Steven Wilson at times  and the chick, I don’t know, she’s pretty unique, but she has this kind of oriental eastern sound to her voice. So.. a very good song, not a round winner but still very intrigued by this band.

8.0/10

Home: Agent Fresco – Dark Water

Hmm.. maybe my bonus rewards are actually being used? Either that or I really need to check out Agent Fresco.

Anyway, on some points I want to compare this to the In Flames song, not because they’re remotely close in sound :lol because they aren’t, but they both have amazing choruses, and I might just give this song the edge because the singer is just fantastic. A lot more intricacy in this song compared to See Hell if you ask me, with the cool piano shit going on and such, and the kind of standard proggy chuga chuga guitar rhythms that I like. In the end, like with most songs in this round actually, the vocals steal the show here, and this is definitely enough to get me to check out this album.

7.75/10

Tomislav95: Eluveite – A Rose For Epona

Never heard of this band, and with this band name and album logo I honestly expected some dark black metal stuff or something.

But as it turns out this is mainly a mix of folk and heavy metal, and the female singer is absolutely amazing. The use of falsetto in the chorus is simply great and overall it’s pretty rare that I like female singers in metal but this one does the job.

The folkish elements are present here and there but not all that groundbreaking, as goes for the heavy metal riffage which is very good in its simplicity, but the vox really steal the show here, both cleans and harsh.

8.25 + (1.0) = 9.25/10

Standings
Scorpion: 27.25 + 8.25 = 35.5 (XX)
Tomislav95: 25.75 + 9.25 = 35.0 (XX)
Sacul: 24.25 + 10 = 34.25 (XXX)
Bolsters: 25.0 + 8.5 = 33.5 (X)
Parama: 26.0 + 7.25 = 33.25 (XX)

Twosuitsluke: 25.25 + 7.75 = 33.0 (XX)
Splent: 23.0 + 9.5 = 32.5 (XX)
Home: 24.25 + 7.75 = 32.0 (XX)
Evermind: 24.5 + 7.25 = 31.75 (XX)
Elite: 23.0 + 8.5 = 31.5 (X)
425: 23.25 + 8.0 = 31.25 ()
Shadow Ninja 2.0: 22.5 + 8.0 = 30.5 (X)

(if I forgot to add any bonuses or fucked up the scores let me know, I'll correct any mistakes when I get home)

Schedule for next round
Like I just said I will be gone for the upcoming weekend so this round will take a few days longer. That said, I hope to have every song in 48 hours fom now so I can get one or two listens in before I leave. There will be hangman again, but we'll probably not finish it before the weekend so expect the thread to die for a few days by the end of the week.

Aiming to start some more serious listening sessions by the beginning of next week, tidbits on wednesday/thursday (more likely to be thursday) and results on friday.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Cool. The next one has been transmitted.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hey, not a bad score. I must admit that In Flames were the first melodic death metal band I'd ever gotten into and they will always hold a special place in my heart, even though I rarely listen to them anymore. However I know that as my musical tastes have broadened I don't think I would hugely excited by their music now if I heard it for the first time.

FYI, when i mentioned that I didn't want to play it safe I meant that I didn't want to just send progressive metal, but was well aware that this was still a very safe entry. I meant (after sending this entry) I wanted to move away from playing it safe in any capacity. I'm planning to send my take on a great doom metal tune, which, comparing to the doom metal you've been sent so far, will be a different style of doom/sludge metal.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I forsee problems in your future  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

I like my score.
Will send in few minute.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, fine. Will send something tomorrow.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nice to see Daisuke get some love  :D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Nope, the band has four singers. But most of it is one guy, yes.
Squ