Poll

Why are you still checking out this thread? The roulette has been completed for ages

For the sake of nostalgia
0 (0%)
I have no life so I am reading through old roulettes for entertainment
0 (0%)
Train of Naught
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 03, 2016, 01:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE  (Read 122086 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
winter was gonna be my 2016 song so now i'll have to find something else to get a bonus point for
technically it came out in december 2015 though  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
/yeah I know the situation but I decided to count it because it's a 2016 album. :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Results now?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Right now!!!

Elite: Anciients - The Longest River

3 minutes too long, would've loved to hear a 6 minutes song by this band, that would rock.

6.25 + (0.0) = 6.25

3 minutes too long, would've loved to hear a 6 minutes song by this band, that would rock.

6.25 + (0.0) = 6.25

6.25 + (0.0) = 6.25

6.25 + (0.0) = 6.25

6.25 + (0.0) = 6.25

6.25 + (0.0) = 6.25

6.25 + (0.0) = 6.25

6.25 + (0.0) = 6.25

6.25 + (0.0) = 6.25

6.25 + (0.0) = 6.25

6.25 + (0.0) = 6.25

6.25 + (0.0) = 6.25

#1 Elite: 6.25
#2 Elite: 6.25
#3 Elite: 6.25
#4 Elite: 6.25
#5 Elite: 6.25
#6 Elite: 6.25
#7 Elite: 6.25
#8 Elite: 6.25
#9 Elite: 6.25
#10 Elite: 6.25
#11 Elite: 6.25
#12 Elite: 6.25

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
sixthony out of tentano

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I didn't even send that song what the hell
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
you sure did and you sent it 12 times
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Why are you complaining you are in first place.

You are also in last place, so I guess maybe that's why?
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i predict #3 this round

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
i predict #3 this round
More like #12, good thing this wasn't the bonus round where you had to guess your ranking because you're 9 spots off :neverusethis:

But for realz I just came home and honestly didn't have the time for any listening today. Tomorrow I'll be all over the songs though and I'll post some tidbits. Results still scheduled for monday.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (R3 LISTENING)
« Reply #606 on: June 25, 2016, 07:46:06 PM »
i plan to keep scoring 8 or above the entire roulette, thank you very much

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #607 on: June 25, 2016, 07:49:39 PM »
You already failed because Cotard is like 5.5 at best?

Bloodmeat intro rip-off, 10 point penalty

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #608 on: June 25, 2016, 07:53:28 PM »
bloodmeat: officially the only song ever to use guitar/drum synchronization  :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #609 on: June 25, 2016, 08:00:01 PM »
Aw come on the first second sojnd exactly the same :lol thats not even a bad thing, I love Bloodmeat. Its just something I noticed. You're such a cotard

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #610 on: June 25, 2016, 08:00:43 PM »
i do have a feeling they probably listened to some protest the hero while writing that album, and some dillinger escape plan, but the end result is the best of both worlds so  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #611 on: June 26, 2016, 02:12:27 AM »
Going to start my final listen before posting tidbits pretty soon, and then one more listen tonight and my last last listen tomorrow and then will post results :corn

So tidbits in about 2-3 hours

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #612 on: June 26, 2016, 02:22:30 AM »
Cool cool cool :corn
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (R3 TEASERS)
« Reply #613 on: June 26, 2016, 04:50:14 AM »
Only 6 this time around. With how songs are currently scored and ranked things are still pretty tight. Things will definitely start getting more interesting once people have used up (almost) all of their bonuses and the rankings start to take more shape. 4 more rounds after this one to get into that top 5 to prevent being cut and move on to the finals!

Would’ve loved to hear some more growls here, easily my favorite thing about this song

Goes to show you that scoring well with simple songs is very do-able

There seems to be an ongoing trend of fantastic song endings and this is no exception though with this one it’s pretty much just the outro that I genuinely love.

This song is literally a descent into insanity

They just... make it seem so easy. Yet again a fantastic song from you, the chorus being my favorite of the round

Okay, the harsh vocals are good and straight to the point, I like how they’re not too overtaking, but the cleans are definitely the main attraction, so power!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #614 on: June 26, 2016, 04:53:07 AM »
I don't think any of those are about mine.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #615 on: June 26, 2016, 05:29:19 AM »
The last one has got to be mine  :tup

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #616 on: June 26, 2016, 05:29:59 AM »

They just... make it seem so easy. Yet again a fantastic song from you, the chorus being my favorite of the round

The chorus in my song is IMO very powerful, I'd like this tidbit is about it. And I don't know if vocals in chorus qualify as harsh vocals? :lol His voice in verses is much cleaner but still, singing in chorus is not growling, just slightly harsher singing.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #617 on: June 26, 2016, 05:34:54 AM »
Yeah I don't know, I use terms like growls and harsh vocals very loosely and incorrectly. It's definitely not growling but I could see why people would say they're harsh vocals. Similar to the way Gareth sings at the ending of Slice The Cake's "The Exile Part I - The Razor's Edge", I would probably call it "shouting"? But that just sounds awful so I'll probably lump all of these into the harsh vocals territory.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #618 on: June 26, 2016, 06:08:01 AM »
Other reason some could call it harsh vocals is that Nick from Paradise Lost actually growls a lot on their latest album and also here and there on others. He is the guy who replaced Akerfeldt in Bloodbath.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #619 on: June 26, 2016, 10:45:04 AM »
1. probably not, there's like three growls right at the very end and nothing else
2. no
3. i will be severely disappointed if so
4. probably not
5. i bet this is mine
6. nope, not enough growls

i agree with luke that #6 is oceans of slumber btw

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #620 on: June 27, 2016, 08:52:42 AM »
Results somewhere around the next hour :corn :corn

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #621 on: June 27, 2016, 09:03:13 AM »
I'll read them tomorrow. :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #622 on: June 27, 2016, 09:16:15 AM »
5 point 5 out of 10

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette III: Select Difficulty (ROUND 3 RESULTS)
« Reply #623 on: June 27, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
Round 3 results

425: The Flower Kings – Train To Nowhere

At first I was expecting one of those boring classic-prog bands that I somehow can’t get in to. They do have this neo-classical vibe to their music but it’s actually a really good song.  Simple melodies that pay off really well like the “And then we fade into the night“ with some smooth guitarwork in the background, almost remeniscent of some of the slow songs on Scenes From A Memory.

Amongst the many instruments I hear in the background when giving this my full attention there’s some really pretty piano and acoustic guitar stuff going on. It’s funny, because this does sound like a song that could be covered with just a vocalist and his guitar and it would still sound pretty good. Though what really does it for me is all those layers to the music, great “simple“ song.

8.0/10

Sacul: Ulver – Nowhere (Sweet Sixteen)

Okay, I knew Ulver are known for having changed their sound quite a bit, but this is a pretty substantial change compared to the song you sent in my first roulette, EOS.

And I definitely like this more than EOS, no doubt. This band creates great atmospheres but I simply couldn’t get into the whole ambient thing because of the minimal instrumentation of it all. Here it’s still fairly minimal but the vocals make up for it. Similar to home’s song but to a slightly lesser extent, I like the hypnotizing feel to the instruments especially near the climax.

Based on this, I will probably give Ulver another chance with this 2016 album unless you recommend otherwise. I’m looking for more along these lines though, opposed to the straight-up ambient stuff.

8.0 + (1.0) = 9.0

Evermind/Elite: Anciients – Raise The Sun/The Longest River

Alright I don’t know if I’m going to do duplicate band results like this every time but I think with this kind of thing it’s interesting to compare the two. Can already tell that they won’t receive the same score though.

Both songs: Both of these have very strong harsh vocals, I’ll admit right away that I like them more than the cleans. Seems like these guys like to have somewhat long instrumental sections too which is not a bad thing, but I feel they do drag a bit for a moment or two. Not because I’m not into instrumental sections, but because most of those sections are centered around one guitar riff that gets repeated a lot. Still, pretty good songs from both of you overall.

The Longest River: Being the longer track of the two by quite a margin it took some more getting used to but I think I ended up liking these songs roughly the same. The intro has a very cool dark vibe going on that doesn’t sound repetitive even though it’s basically the same formula as the RTS intro. The growls are a bit more present here and that’s the way I like it, they let loose of the breaks on this song a bit more and it makes it more interesting structurally and creatively. In the end they kinda even eachother out though because this one wasn’t quite as amazing with the grooves.

Raise The Sun: For this song it’s definitely the extremely groovy instrumentals that mostly grab my attention. The finale is pretty sick and I like the instrumental that leads into that part a lot, but at times it got a bit hard to stay interested the entire time up until that final section kicked in. It took a while to get going and I think that’s the main issue I have with the band though I still like both these songs. Once again, the growls are top notch and I feel like they shouldn’t be afraid to use them a bit more loosely. Accordingly, the clean vocals don’t live up to expectations quite as much and so I came up with the same score for both Anciients songs.

7.75/10

They‘re both very close in quality and I like both enough to check out this album for sure, but neither one of them is blowing me away.

Tomislav95: Paradise Lost – Faith Divides Us – Death Unites Us

Either you just send all the right bands, or there’s simply such a clear formula to doom that I could like pretty much all of it, but either way here’s another great submission!

The vocal melodies in the chorus are astounding, like the (not-overly) dramatic mood that always does well in the right context. I don’t really see the connection with Iced Earth but I guess you could make an argument for Metallica influences, but mostly this just sounds like their own thing.

This song has a level of epic-ness that some 10-15 minute songs don’t even have, the euphoric buildup to the last chorus is fantastic, and it’s only just over 4 minutes, WTF! It’s not my absolute favorite of the round (it is pretty close though) but then again, this was such a quality-packed round that there’s no shame in that.

8.5/10

Parama: The Hirsch Effekt - Cotard

Bloodmeat?

I was kinda expecting mathcore or something, don’t know why, but that’s the impression that their name left on me.

I’m not sure how I feel about german lyrics in this context. Obviously I know some Rammstein songs but that’s about it, and there’s it’s like this super masculin german dude with a very powerful and overtaking voice but this is on the softer side vocal-wise.

My favorite parts of this song are the more agressive ones and the vocals really were a pretty tough digest. At first the melodies, in the chorus especially, sounded a bit awkward, but it seems like you’re only sending growers in this roulette. I’m not blown away by this song, it’s pretty good alright but apart from the intro which is a-ma-zing and the outro the song doesn’t stick out that much. The finale is really quite great though, with some simple chord progressions a-la post-rock and great trumpets. Here the vocals are quite good too (both the clean and harsh ones) so there are some standout factors to it but overall it’s a 9 minute song where I can only really enjoy half of it while the rest is ‘okay‘.

7.5 (+1.0) = 8.5

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Fair To Midland – The Wife, The Kids, and The White Picket Fence

Yes!! This is more like it! First two rounds I liked your submissions alright, the Frightened Rabbit one slightly edging out the Nightingale, but this blows both of them out of the water.

The vocals are perfect, just perfect. And overall this song is just extremely smooth. There’s soaring choruses, heavy instrumentation, more mellow stuff, but it all transitions so damn smoothly. The singer has this very light vibrato to his voice in some of the lines of the verses and I love it. Goes to show that a pretty straightforward chorus in a not-so-straightforward setting can actually be really cool, adds that catchiness factor to it.  I actually kind of expected to like this band from what I’ve heard from others but now it’s confirmed.

Can’t say much about this because it’s fairly short and pretty concise but this is without a doubt one of my favorite submissions (top 3) in what’s easily my favourite round of the roulette so far. Time to get some bonus points in there to maybe get closer to those leaderboards?

9.0/10

Scorpion: Dir En Grey - Vinushka

Okay, I’ve listened to a lot of weird shit the past half year but I still don’t know whether I’m ready for this band..

You can tell from the very first second that this is going to be epic as fuck. The intro is pretty damn beautiful and the clean vocals here remind me a lot of Justin Carter which is a bit awkward since he’s an avant-garde/jazz artist :lol but it works great here. There’s a lot of suspense going on in it and you can really feel the descent into insanity as the song progresses, slowly sounding darker and darker until at last all hell breaks loose.

..And it’s not even half bad! The screaky harsh vox are a bit overwhelming at first but being used to Destrage - whose high harsh vocals actually share a lot of similarities with these – I think I can manage.

I can see why this is one of your favorite metal tunes. Structurally I would go as far as saying it’s perfect, a lot of cool riffs being thrown in here too, especially near the end. I also just noticed that they have the trademark Korn bass sound going on in the very end of the song, I don’t know what it is they do to make it sound like that but I love it. Yeah, favorite song of the roulette, I did say that there would probably be no middle ground score here and well, you can be the judge of that, but this is quite the standout score innit?

9.25 (+1.0) = 10.25/10

Splent: OSI - OSI

Something a bit heavier from splent this time around.

I like the heavy riffage and everything is ‘solid‘ but the vocals (as I feel about Kevin Moore doing vocals in general) sound a bit monotonous. It’s hard to make a song of this length not sound too repetitive and I guess that’s not really a problem I have here, but the things that do repeat don’t really hold much value to me. Frankly, the “hate it when the truth unravels“ kinda bores me. :(

Sorry, I wish I liked this more but it hasn’t got a lot of replay value to me, like I could dig some of the heavy instrumentation on this, I really like that upbeat stuff here, but Kevin is such a downer and I always get that same vibe from his vocals, it makes me want him to just stick to keys here. Still kinda curious which bands you based this on.

6.25/10

Bolsters: BT - Suddenly

Sacul would love this intro.

Was excited to get some more electronic stuff from you after the Celldweller tune from last roulette. I’ll never be all over those glitches in music but they don’t bother me either, but here they’re actually quite good. Though it’s once the song really gets going that I’m sold on this, cheesy lyrics are a given with electronic music but those are never really the center of attention for this kind of music anyway. The chorus is just awesome, and I like how it’s kinda being foreshadowed after the first verse in a glitchy manner. Almost sounds like those vocals are Dan Tompkins from TesseracT which is never a bad thing. :P

Yeah. Don’t have a lot to say about this but it’s a great tune; catchy melodies in a very upbeat way, a fun instrumental section that reminds me a bit of Frost* and overall good replay value. I would say the chorus becomes a bit too much of the same near the end but it's not grating in any way so I still like it a lot.

8.0/10

Home: Slowdive – Golden Hair

Well, it took you one risky choice that didn’t quite turn out how you hoped and one middle-of-the-road song that was still pretty good but man you sure delivered this round!
If I really wanted I could just give you a writeup of one word and I would be happy with it: Mesmerizing

I’m really glad you went for the live version, it really is miles better than the original and well, there’s simply way more music to enjoy (twice as much to be precise).

I love when bands like this prove that you can make up a lack of technical skill (not technically bad players but obviously no mastermind shredders either) with genius compositions and song structures. Less is more. The song is so dreamy and the music keeps coming in waves, makes me really want to just relax and drift away..

I don’t know if it’d be awkward to attend a band like this live but this crowd seems pretty legit. I would probably just want to listen to music like this when I’m alone in the perfect setting, but whatever floats their boat. Interesting submission, also the first one for the cover bonus point, something I would probably have never found out about if it wasn’t for you. :tup:

8.5 (+1.0) = 9.5

Twosuitsluke: Oceans Of Slumber – Winter

I kind of expected to get Oceans of Slumber in this roulette..... from Parama

But either way, I’ve listened to one or two of their songs before and I quite liked it but failed to check out this album as of yet. The vocals are so, so good. These are not the regular female vocals as they sound very powerful, easily equally or even more powerful than most male vocals. And the growls, well, they’re exactly as I want them to be in a song like this. Very present when it’s needed, not overdone at all and when they do appear they’re concise and emotive. During my first listen I didn’t really focus on anything at all during this song but now that I do I’m loving it, this could be a contender for round winner to be honest, it’s that good.

Structurally it’s great too, like, it gets substantially heavier as the song progresses and after the final climax there’s like a relaxing epilogue kinda thing. I would imagine these guys would be great at writing 10+ minute epics but I don’t think they’ve done so.
So we watch the sun for one more day! Probably the most epic line of the roulette so far, hot damn.

9.0 (+ 1.0) = 10/10

Standings

Scorpion: 17 + 10.25 = 27.25 (XX)
Parama: 17.5 + 8.5 = 26.0 (XX)
Tomislav95: 17.25 + 8.5 = 25.75 (X)
Twosuitsluke: 15.25 + 10.0 = 25.25 (XX)
Bolsters: 17 + 8.0 = 25.0 (X)

Evermind: 16.75 + 7.75 = 24.5 (X)
Sacul: 15.25 + 9.0 = 24.25 (XX)
Home: 14.75 + 9.5 = 24.25 (XX)
425: 15.25 + 8.0 = 23.25 ()
Splent: 16.75 + 6.25 = 23.0 (X)
Elite: 15.25 + 7.75 = 23.0 (X)
Shadow Ninja 2.0: 13.5 + 9.0 = 22.5 ()

The border represents the cut-off point after round 7

Schedule for next round
Okay, so we're 3 rounds in now and almost at the halfway point of the first 7 rounds before people get cut and we go into the final stages of the roulette. I'd like all the submissions for round 4 within the next 48 hours, I hope everyone is aware of how many themes they can still use and it would be best to use all three of them up within the first 7 rounds to assure the max. amount of points, I don't mind if people want to dismiss them in order to send me better songs that don't fit certain themes, I appreciate that approach but it might be your downfall. Special mention to 425 and Shadow Ninja however, who both have all their bonuses available.

Bonus round #3
BUT, like mentioned in the OP, the final bonus round is happening during round 4, this is a fairly short and simple one, I can't drag this one out sadly since all there is to it is you will have to guess how many CD's are in my collection (counting physical, digital and albums I saved on Spotify to make it more challenging). The banned list is not really a giveaway at all because some of those artists are ones I listen to from time to time but don't actually have any albums of, similarly, there's artists that are not on the banned list but I do have saved an album of on Spotify. I want this to be a somewhat random lucky guess challenge anyway. Not a very inspirational at that, but it was at this point that I really had run out of ideas and probably shouldn't have even done another bonus round but eh.

To rule out completely useless guesses I won't allow any guesses under 100 but I won't point out a maximum amount. Guess in PM along with your submission please so it remains anonymous, that way we don't get cheaty guesses 1 number above or below someone else's.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #624 on: June 27, 2016, 09:40:28 AM »
goddammit luke stealing my 10  :yeahright

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #625 on: June 27, 2016, 09:56:11 AM »
goddammit luke stealing my 10  :yeahright

All's fair in love and Roulette. You had 2 chances to send it first dude  :loser:

Like I said before, they are a new discovery for me. I've obviously seen the name about on here then Ne Obliviscaris linked the video for Winter on their Facebook page. I checked it out as I'm thinking about getting tickets for the tour they're doing together here in the UK in October. THAT VIDEO BLEW ME AWAY!! First listen/watch (the video really helped put the band over for me) and I knew they were something special. I'm looking forward to seeing OoS more than NI now. :lol

I think the female vocals are what sets them apart. I don't really listen to much with female vocals to be honest. Glad you liked it, I know I'm sure as hell loving the album.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #626 on: June 27, 2016, 10:12:46 AM »
Kinda expected a bit more, but anyways, I think you'd enjoy this new album, is very ethereal, sometimes borderline post-rock in that sense, but quite experimental. If you don't dig it, try Blood Inside which is just insane. Or Bergtatt if you're into black metal :P

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #627 on: June 27, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »
Sent

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #628 on: June 27, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »
Train, when I mentioned Iced Earth/Metallica influences I was talking about other song I almost sent (Embers Fire).
Also, I yet have no idea will I use all of my bonus points :-\

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #629 on: June 27, 2016, 11:04:24 AM »
Train, when I mentioned Iced Earth/Metallica influences I was talking about other song I almost sent (Embers Fire).
Oh, I wasn't paying enough attention then :lol thought it was a bit of a stretch, it actually didn't sound like either.

Damnit, I had OSI planned for later.
But you can still send them :neverusethis: they're open for re-submissions.