Poll

Why are you still checking out this thread? The roulette has been completed for ages

For the sake of nostalgia
0 (0%)
I have no life so I am reading through old roulettes for entertainment
0 (0%)
Train of Naught
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 03, 2016, 01:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE  (Read 122692 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: :P
« Reply #385 on: June 20, 2016, 10:17:57 AM »
Make it simple, just pick mine.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (BONUS ROUND OPEN)
« Reply #386 on: June 20, 2016, 11:16:54 AM »
Sent a hardcore cover.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: June 20, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »
Sent the latest iamthemorning album cover.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #388 on: June 20, 2016, 11:22:37 AM »
Im going to be honest I haven't even thought about the bonus round at all yet

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #389 on: June 20, 2016, 01:17:41 PM »

Oooh good choice.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #390 on: June 20, 2016, 01:18:59 PM »
I'll get in another listen (I think it'll be either my 4th or 5th) after the Group B conclusion, got a relaxed evening ahead of me with no plans whatsoever.

Will do the final listen tomorrow and post results very early in the evening (approx. 21 hours from now). Just a heads up so you can prepare for R3 if you're the kind that wants to plan their submissions ahead. Also 3 more people until I have all the bonus round submissions in, not obligatory but yeah.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #391 on: June 20, 2016, 02:53:22 PM »
England - Slovakia was the most frustrating match of the tournament so far.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: June 20, 2016, 02:54:49 PM »
England - Slovakia was the most frustrating match of the tournament so far.

I've mostly watched Wales against Russia, but I had that one running on my laptop, I just I think turned it off after ~60 minutes.

Wales against Russia was the most hilarious match of the tournament so far, but only if you're Russian and you had no faith in your national team in the first place. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #393 on: June 20, 2016, 03:02:52 PM »
For me the most frustrating match was Spain vs. Czech Republic, mainly because everyone (including me) had huge expectations from this team of Spain, a few veterans from the "golden era" plus a lot of fantastic youngsters though the team isn't ideal IMO. Should've taken Torres and played Koke more often, great combination. And they didn't even play half bad, but they just couldn't finish anything and it wasn't until like the 87th minute until the tie was broken.

I was hoping for Slovakia to go big this tournament, they were one of my few 'dark horse' guesses but seeing them play here, they were falling apart after just over half an hour of playing and their team couldn't stay fit for the entire duration of the game without injuring themselves. :lol Wales was pretty great though, glad to see them in first place.

Wales against Russia was the most hilarious match of the tournament so far, but only if you're Russian and you had no faith in your national team in the first place. :lol
I know, it's kind of a shame though, I really liked Russia when their team was built around Arshavin, during the euro 2008, they beat The Netherlands with 3-0 or something in like the quarterfinals.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #394 on: June 20, 2016, 03:03:54 PM »

Oooh good choice.
Definitely one of the best covers of the year so far.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: June 20, 2016, 03:06:46 PM »
For me the most frustrating match was Spain vs. Czech Republic, mainly because everyone (including me) had huge expectations from this team of Spain, a few veterans from the "golden era" plus a lot of fantastic youngsters though the team isn't ideal IMO. Should've taken Torres and played Koke more often, great combination. And they didn't even play half bad, but they just couldn't finish anything and it wasn't until like the 87th minute until the tie was broken.

I was hoping for Slovakia to go big this tournament, they were one of my few 'dark horse' guesses but seeing them play here, they were falling apart after just over half an hour of playing and their team couldn't stay fit for the entire duration of the game without injuring themselves. :lol Wales was pretty great though, glad to see them in first place.

I know, it's kind of a shame though, I really liked Russia when their team was built around Arshavin, during the euro 2008, they beat The Netherlands with 3-0 or something in like the quarterfinals.

Yeah, that was like their golden age or something. It was 3:1 and the game ended with 1:1 in the main 90 minutes, then they played another 30 minutes and Russia scored two goals. Everyone was shouting like they went mad on the streets, I had trouble falling asleep because of that. And damn, they were really playing, not just standing there on the field looking like they don't even belong there.

Of course they've lost to Spain in the semifinals after that, but hell, that victory over Netherlands was glorious. And I've got nothing against the Netherlands as you surely know, it's just that was one of the only games where I saw the spark of real football in our team. :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #396 on: June 21, 2016, 12:00:17 AM »
Are we going to do album cover hangman? :neverusethis:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #397 on: June 21, 2016, 02:36:02 AM »
Guess the album cover.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #398 on: June 21, 2016, 03:47:42 AM »
I'm so going to do that.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #399 on: June 21, 2016, 04:08:05 AM »
Blurry covers! Or fragments of it :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #400 on: June 21, 2016, 04:33:45 AM »
Something is in the works.

Parama and Elite, do you guys want to submit for this round too? Just curious because I need to know whether I have to include your album covers to the thing I'm working on.

Meanwhile, the second to last listen has kicked off.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #401 on: June 21, 2016, 05:09:12 AM »
I sent you the album cover through Spotify, it probably didn't show up in your inbox again :lol
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #402 on: June 21, 2016, 05:14:05 AM »
Also, I added you on Spotify, don't know if you can see me. (I see you, enjoy that song :tup)

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #403 on: June 21, 2016, 05:25:29 AM »
Yes, gotcha! Followed you back.

I sent you the album cover through Spotify, it probably didn't show up in your inbox again :lol

Nope!  :lol guess we'll have to keep using fb for this, spotify PM sucks so far.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #404 on: June 21, 2016, 06:15:59 AM »
I can actually see you in my followers list now. I am going to attempt to send you a song one last time.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #405 on: June 21, 2016, 07:08:34 AM »
Vulfpeck - Funky Duck
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (RESULTS SOON)
« Reply #406 on: June 21, 2016, 07:21:15 AM »
Glad that finally worked out, received the PM's from both you and Elite at last.

I will get the results in a bit earlier than expected. I got called to start a bit earlier for work today and I'm in my final listen right now anyway. Will have results up in 2 hours approx.

:corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn
 :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn
:corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn
:corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn
:corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn

Damn, the width of the :corn emoticon made it pretty much impossible to make a proper 'N' but you get the gist.

Vulfpeck - Funky Duck
yes

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #407 on: June 21, 2016, 07:36:33 AM »
 :corn
I didn't comment on songs this round. Interesting choice with Hocus Pocus, that yodeling :metal Another interesting song is Death's instrumental Voice of Soul. Don't expect any of their other songs to be similar :lol
Frames by Oceansize is awesome album. I heard it only 2 or 3 times but I love it already. I started listening to Death Cab for a Cutie few weeks ago(Transatlanticism album), just kind of stuff I'm into lately.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #408 on: June 21, 2016, 08:42:12 AM »
Damn, the width of the :corn emoticon made it pretty much impossible to make a proper 'N' but you get the gist.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: June 21, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »
Ready for my 5.5/10.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #410 on: June 21, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »
Ready for my 5.5/10.
Decent score.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Round 2 results

Parama: Oceansize – The Frame

Oceansize have always been a band I could see be the toughest grower ever and I hope at this point I’m ready to take it in, I know I wasn’t impressed last time when I got “Music For A Nurse“, but Frames really seems to be the most loved album. Seems like you’re really sticking to as long as possible songs in these rounds.

On one hand I really want to like Oceansize because it seems like a grower, but on the other at some point I guess I have to stop trying because it’s starting to feel like a chore. I actually listened to the album “Frames“ once but I didn’t remember much of it. Probably has more to do with me not being much of a post-rock fan than anything though.

Actually, I feel like I need to document this RIGHT NOW because I’ll have to look back to this writeup somewhere in the future, this is the biggest case of “has just clicked with me“ I ever experienced and I was actually about to give you like a 6.5 because I had the same issue with this as I had with 425’s Neal Morse Band song, a long song I only liked chunks of and felt like a chore kind-a to get through. But suddenly it just became a pretty great song. Not my favorite ever but I hope you can atleast live with this. :P I’ve heard from pretty much everyone that Oceansize need a long time to grow on you and I think I understand now, lucky I’m giving the songs such a big amount of listens I guess because if I only did 4 this would’ve gotten a 7 at best. I’m really eager to return to this album again now and see how much I like it more than I did before.

8.0/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Frightened Rabbit – Get Out

SN2 wanted me to listen to a song I already know and dislike but I didn’t allow it unfortunately, so we’re going with something I never heard of.

So it’s an indiepop/rock-ish song I guess, I can dig that, but they rarely stand out to me. Foals is my #1 indie band right now and there’s some similarities here and there but not much.

Hmm.. I like the song quite a bit but there’s not really much to it. I know these songs are minimalistic most of the time but I kinda hoped for more. Pretty much your run-of-the-mill indie music, which is not bad here but I can’t point out anything that makes it stand out. Still, the vocals are on point, the chorus is catchy and  has this mellow/energetic contrast to it that I like quite a bit. I guess I’d like a little more time with this song.

I think it’s pretty catchy, straight to the point and has good relistening value, though I can’t put it up against the likes of the Death Cab For Cutie and the Chicago song, or even Funky Duck in terms of catchiness. Good submission, though ‘good‘ will not cut it in this competition.

7.0/10

Home: Vulfpeck – Funky Duck

Well this is interesting, a 2 minute song, no fucking around, just a few minutes of pure fun.

Before I get all negative, I want to say that I do love vocals like these. They’re like the high-energy alternative of Leo Napier, a hip hop artist featured on a few songs off the new Gramatik album which nobody on this forum knows anything about.

Conversely, while this song is all in good fun, I can’t get much out of it because that’s literally all there is to it. I don’t want to look like an anti-fun dude but I can’t put it up against the likes of CHVRCHES and The Fall Of Troy, which I considered the ‘fun‘ songs of round 1 or even the round 2 Chicago song, but in a different way, a way that kept me interested. “He’s a funky duck“ is basically all there is to the song. I wish they used this guest singer a bit more diversely because he has a great voice and the verses were awesome, but the chorus where he starts to howl or something really wore on me after a while. So does this guy play in a soul band? If not, he definitely should, I feel like he’s terribly underused here.

I don’t know whether you had any expectations for this one but apart from tuning in to songs like this for about a minute or so I don’t know whether this music is for me.

Hope I’m not coming across as a prog-nerd that doesn’t like a song like this just because it does not have any deep lyrical meaning or complex arrangements :( I’m not like that at all so don’t lose motivation in sending fun songs like this, I hope I clarified the reasons well enough for you to find something that I like better though!

5.75/10

Sacul: Focus – Hocus Pocus

Alright, time to listen to some yodeling, I’m fucking ready.

But this is really not doing anything for me so far, with one listen in. It’s basically a switch-off between a yodel melody and some guitar-lead jamming with an ocassional solo of any instrument they had. There’s probably some deeper meaning to it I don’t know about (or not) but to me it sounds like they were like “hey let’s see how much random stuff we can fit in 6:40 minutes of yodel/guitar switchoffs“. I see the scatting made its return in my roulette aswell, and not as awesome this time around as either of the two scat-men I got in my first roulette.

It wouldn’t even be half bad if the guitar jams weren’t literally the same riff over and over again, I don’t know if that’s just lazy or genius  but from my POV it’s a bad attempt at trying to make the song more cohesive because for a song as unusual as this it gets old remarkably quick. That’s not to say that the riff is bad because that’s actually an amazing riff and I like that it returns, but that’s literally all there is to it apart from the solo sections and the yodels. The unconventional stuff can win me over a lot of the time but I feel it becomes less valuable because the yodeling is repeated so often in the exact same melody.

I might’ve been slightly more negative than I actually felt about the song but it’s really not doing much for me, and I realize it might come off a bit rude but that’s not my intention, nothing personal here, just trying to shed some light on why I’m not that keen on the song.

And as a final note while also kind of echoing what I’ve been meaning to say, I think this could’ve been a very good guitar-centered instrumental, almost like an extended guitar solo with the main riff connecting the solo sections into one piece, because I’m not a big fan of all the random solos and yodel sections stuffed in and while that main riff does return an awful lot, it’s still a great one.

6.0 + (1.0) = 7.0/10

Twosuitsluke: Death – Voice Of The Soul

Seems like an easy way out of sending an old-school death metal band by sending an instrumental :lol but in the context of this roulette it makes sense since bonus points and stuff.

I notice right away that the acoustic guitar is straight-up kicking, I love it. There’s a very intricate vibe to it. But the lead guitars really bury that sound as the song progresses and it’s a shame, I woulda loved some progressive acoustic stuff coming in more often here. It seems like they pick it up again in the second half of the song but this song really centers most around the electric guitar. I can’t help but feel like this makes more sense in the context of the album, a near-4 minute instrumental inbetween 2 longer songs seems like it’s a progressive segue song on the album. I don’t get much out of it as a first time listener without hearing the album. Death metal often  speaks to me most and I think should speak to most through the vocals, so like you said this is treated more as a metal instrumental with some prog influences, and it’s not the most remarkable I’ve heard at that.

Would still want to give the band a try with some vocal-included songs so if you can recommend me some (maybe this same album?) I’d appreciate it but I’m not absolutely blown away with this instrumental, it’s not bad though.

6.5 + (1.0) = 7.5/10

Evermind: Rainbow – Gates Of Babylon

Ruslan reminded me that Rick Astley wasn’t on the banned list yet so I went ahead and did that, thanks for that I guess.

I knew I was getting Rainbow from you :P I just had no idea what to think of it, because well, it’s kinda out of my comfort zone datewise.

Aaand, the intro riff kicks in and it’s a pretty cool oriental metal style that I can dig, though I just wish those keys didn’t sound so ‘muffled‘, for lack of a better word, they don’t sound all that pronounced. That’s probably part of the old production. I had worse expectations from this one actually, but so far so good. I’m hearing an amazing guitar solo that really fits that eastern style they’re going for in this song, I hear Dio at the top of his game (which is pretty much him on any song), I’m tempted to say that Dio was the closest anyone came to the perfect metal voice, meaning the best fit to the classic take on metal. Not necessarily meaning that he is my favorite vocalist in metal, but he’s certainly pretty good here. Gotta warn you though, even though I think everything’s alright, nothing is blowing my mind and it’s just some good riffage and some strong vocal work.

Against all odds, this song won’t be the round loser. One of those songs that I find good overall and can’t really point out something I actively dislike, but I’m not all over it. Most of my positivity regarding Gates of Babylon comes from some of the awesome vocals hooks in the chorus, will very likely check out the album. :tup

7.25/10

Tomislav95:
Moonsorrow – Sankarihauta

Okay, of course the guys of Moonsorrow are no strangers to me, I’ve seen their name around a lot. But I’ve always been a bit apprehensive with picking black metal bands/albums/songs, and I still don’t know a lot about it.

The song starts very intense with the heavy metal riffage and the screams and it’s a really great vibe to build a song upon. With the big orchestral opening and the punching riffs I don’t really know how they will follow this up in the coming 7 minutes but so far so good.

Okay the vocals are how I expected them to sound, kinda. The harsh vox at least, and they’re not to my biggest enjoyment. After some  getting used to I can ‘tolerate‘ them but they won’t be the center of attention for me when giving this song the final verdict. I really like the folkish instrumentals scattered throughout the song, they’re not on par with Scorpion’s song though but they’re still awesome.

Man I wish I could get past those vocals but it’s really hard to fully appreciate them. They definitely grew a bit on me but it’s still the instrumentals that carry the song for me, making this not much of a standout, but still a solid song. The vocals are not on a level of not being able to listen to them, but I just don’t think they’re that great. Luckily there’s enough good stuff going on to make me want to listen to an album by them. Can’t say this lived up to my expectations for this band but it’s still really good, just, as one of the biggest names in black metal/folk metal or whatever subgenre they might be in I start questioning whether I’ll ever obsess about a black metal band as much as I do with some other genres.

7.5 + (1.0) = 8.5/10

Elite: Obsidian Kingdom – Away / Absent

I actually don’t know exactly why I left Obsidian Kingdom off the list since I did enjoy Mantiis a lot, but I guess I still didn’t feel like I knew a lot about the band, so I’m glad I left them off so that I can review this closer off the new album which I’ve heard a lot of mixed thoughts about.

These guys really know how to create atmospheres, I mean, Mantiis just made me feel unfomfortable in the exact way that it should, and this song on one hand sounds very dark once the bassline on top of the spoken word samples kick in, but on the other hand has this euphoric feel with the distant screams. I know theoretically any music is a form of art but Obsidian Kingdom really make it feel more artsy than I usually get from music. Therefore, I don’t think I will lose attention for their music anytime soon and this song basically proves that I should’ve just gone to check out more Obsidian Kingdom in the first place.

Listening to this tune a couple of times more now, I’ve realized something. Parts of this song remind me of how I thought and hoped the new Gojira album would sound like. Pretty dense, very somber and dark and vocals with strong emotional impact. Seems like I’ve just been looking for a new Obsidian Kingdom album all this time. :P

8.25 + (1.0) = 9.25/10

Splent: Chicago – Beginnings

I’ve seen this name a couple times and I knew they were a fogey-band sorta kinda but I knew nothing about their music at all.

And this song is really fun, and not in the Funky Duck way where I find it really fun but too much of the same. This piece has all the fun stuff and stays diverse through all its 8 minutes. The trumpets really do the trick here, there’s some pretty brass work here during the verses, aswell as some great harmonics-type brasswork in the chorus. Not to mention that awesome cowbell outro.

This band sounds waaay ahead of their time, I like that. With modern music I can’t tell for sure but when we go back in time I definitely prefer the more unconventional creative stuff. This may not really push boundaries in that regard but it’s still a pretty unique style. I can definitely see why you’ve been digging some Thank You Scientist as of lately too, any fan of good brass should hear them.

7.75 + (1.0) = 8.75/10

Bolsters:
Being – Mindflay

I don’t know how I actually heard of this band, but it was probably through Skyharbor or some other djent band, never heard a note of this band though.

This is the kind of djent that really sticks with me, there’s no fucking around with excessive polyrhythms or palm-muting here. The vocals have literally everything I love, the chorus has some good high-low transitions, the growls are powerful but not too overtaking, and the clean vocals in the verses are good too but not as good. It has some pop induced vibes that seems to be essential with djent these days, nothing wrong with that since I love the constant poppy djent/poppy progmetal that gets thrown my way with bands like I Am Abomination, Mandroid Echostar and such. I wouldn’t say I like this as much as some of their songs but it’s a great shout and I will definitely look into Being.

Overall pretty straightforward djent but the sheer energy and dynamics make this a damn good song. I only wish that cheesy auto-tuned a-a-a-a-a (1:50) wasn’t in there, that’s kinda weird but it’s such a small thing I can look past it.

8.25/10

Scorpion: Wilderun – The Garden Of Fire

So this is.. folk metal? I’m very familiar with folk influences in many different types of styles but I wasn’t aware of the genre.

Starting off really strong already with the folkish influences, this song moves very unexpectedly on some occasions and I can’t say I’m against it. I don’t know how many singers are on this song  but man it sure stays interesting with all these different vocals. I don’t know if this sounds odd but I hear some very strong BTBAM vibes throughout this song too which is never a bad thing. The funny thing is, in round 1 with all the leaderboard songs I’ve been hammering on about “the climax“ and “song finale“ and here, with one of the heaviest songs I’ve gotten so far, it ends with a nice atmospheric orchestral section, after the fact I’ll admit I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I can see why this is your (one of your) favorite song(s) for sure, this is fantastic, I can imagine this is the kind of song that never gets old either, there’s so much stuff going on that I feel like I haven’t even heard half of it but I’m already sold, I want this album.

I guess during my final listen now, if I could have it my way in a perfect world I would have slightly less deep growls. But that’s just a tiny detail, this song is fookn’a.

I knew I could count on you for sending me some great heavy shit, knowing that if it was one of your favorites surely I would like it too, there’s a lot of overlap between our tastes I feel.

8.75/10

425: Death Cab For Cutie – Grapevine Fires

I don’t even remember a lot from We Looked Like Giants actually, I just know that I liked it and liked Transatlanticism but not remembering much about the songs themselves.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the vocals sound so much like Adam Young, the dude from Owl City. They’re very pretty vocals, especially for male vocals, in the same way some of the soft The Dear Hunter songs feel. These guys have a great sense of compositions too, even though it sounds kinda simple, it’s damn beautiful. I like how all the attention is drawn to the vocals but at the same time there really is a lot going on alongside them.

Yeah I should look more into these guys for sure, this is a great song yet again and relistening to WLLG that one’s great aswell but I think I like this one better. The melodies are so catchy, I feel like they’re going to be stuck in my head but I don’t mind it at all because they’re great.

8.5/10

Additions to the banned list:

Death Cab For Cutie
Wilderun
Obsidian Kingdom
Being
Chicago
Moonsorrow
Frightened Rabbit
Rainbow
Oceansize

Parama: 9.25 + 8.0 = 17.25 (X)
Tomislav95: 8.75 + 8.5 = 17.25 (X)
Scorpion: 8.25 + 8.75 = 17 (X)
Bolsters: 8.75 + 8.25 = 17 (X)
Evermind: 9.5 + 7.25 = 16.75 (X)
Splent: 8.0 + 8.75 = 16.75 (X)
Sacul: 8.25 + 7.0 = 15.25 (X)
Twosuitsluke: 8.0 + 7.5 = 15.5 (X)
Elite: 6.0 + 9.25 = 15.25 (X)
425: 6.75 + 8.5 = 15.25 ()
Home: 8.0 + 5.75 = 13.75 (X)
Shadow Ninja 2.0: 6.5 + 7.0 = 13.5 ()

amount of (X)'s mark the amount of bonuses used, everyone can use up to 3 bonus theme points.

Schedule for next round

Since all the first 7 rounds are pretty much the exact same I will try to keep the same pace. The only variable in this is the amount of time I spend doing stuff away from home. I can usually combine listening with other shit but only at home. I listen to music a lot when I'm traveling for example, but not with the same sense of focus.

So I'd like all the songs within 48 hours again, I think we managed that well within 48 hours last round and this was a damn quick round if you ask me (6 days between round 1 results and round 2 results). I have some hospitation nights ahead of me to check out new houses to move into next year and stuff, but overall I have quite some time on my hands the coming weeks so I could aim for another quick round here to compensate for the 1 week vacation I'm taking in July.

So yeah, send for next round! Of course it's an open round again. Don't forget to check out what the bonus themes are in case you forgot, could get you some easy points!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
one more listen and I bet it would've been a 9.0  :corn
anyways, sending

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Sent.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Eh, I secretly hoped for more points. But then I basically sent Rainbow on a whim.

Personally I think Long Live Rock'n'Roll (the album with Gates of Babylon on it) is one of the weakest of Dio albums, but still has some great tunes. My personal favourite is Rising (it was #3 in my Top 50 album list), it's pretty short - 36 minutes only I think - so it would be a good starting point.

LLRnR has stunningly beautiful closer though, Rainbow Eyes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:28:31 AM by Evermind »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Ah thanks for that, I'll check out that one then.

Eh, I secretly hoped for more points.
Me every round

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i wish i could get more into the new obsidian kingdom but i've yet to come away from it with anything beyond boredom
mindflay is good but wouldn't have been my pick from the album, probably would've sent air atlantic if anything

Offline Tomislav95

Train, if you want to check Death, The Sound of Perseverance (Voice of the Soul is on it) is good starting point. Also, I like every song better than Voice of the Soul but don't know would you like tech death metal.
I have too much stuff I want to send :\ the worst thing is when I know what band to send I can't decide about song.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
how to know i pay good attention: sending a song that someone else sent in the first train roulette, 6 months ago

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Glad you enjoyed it. Any other song I may have been disappointed with that score but since I basically sent it on a whim reading that you wanted some brass stuff I'm like what the hell and glad you liked it. If you like the brassy stuff listen to anything prior to their huge mainstream success in the 80s when everything sounded like a Peter Cetera power ballad.

I'll send after I finish writeups for my roulette.
I don’t know what to put here anymore