Poll

Why are you still checking out this thread? The roulette has been completed for ages

For the sake of nostalgia
0 (0%)
I have no life so I am reading through old roulettes for entertainment
0 (0%)
Train of Naught
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 03, 2016, 01:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE  (Read 120031 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: (ZANTERA/SACUL TIED FOR THE #6 SPOT)
« Reply #1750 on: August 22, 2016, 02:27:25 AM »
I remember getting Faust from Scorpion in a roulette once and not really liking it all that much. What is it with Scorp and sending songs people don't like over and over again? (Grayceon's 'War's End' comes to mind as well)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1751 on: August 22, 2016, 02:38:18 AM »
425 liked War's End, I think it might have even won the round - at the very least, it scored very high. Plus, I haven't given up hope on people actually having taste. :P

Also I don't even remember sending you Faust, so I'm not sure I'm seeing the pattern that you are seeing behind my submissions.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1752 on: August 22, 2016, 02:49:35 AM »
Maybe I'm just seeing thing.

I'm sure somebody sent me Faust once.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1753 on: August 22, 2016, 06:12:12 AM »
Maybe it was LoCo? He sent me Antebellum

Guys, I totally forgot about the introduction days of my new school, it's going to take up 2 full days (literally from Wednesday 10 AM up until like Friday 5 AM) and another two-thirds of a day on Tuesday, so if I don't have the results by tomorrow evening it'll be atleast Friday. I'm going to stay optimistic and hope that I'll be ready by tomorrow evening though, should be do-able but I don't want to rush it.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1754 on: August 22, 2016, 09:42:47 AM »
please stay optimism  :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1755 on: August 22, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »

I mean, it's totally possible. I'm just saying that it wasn't a conscious choice to send a song that has already failed me once; unlike it is (as sad as that is) with War's End.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1756 on: August 22, 2016, 01:30:31 PM »

...to send a song that has already failed me once; unlike it is (as sad as that is) with War's End.
This is my relationship with Closure In Moscow - Happy Days, failed me multiple times. I know I know, this is DTF, everyone hates happy songs :P

I have kinda just stopped sending it :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1757 on: August 22, 2016, 01:51:22 PM »
After sending it in mike's roulette, I'll probably start phasing out Grayceon as well.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1758 on: August 23, 2016, 04:02:19 AM »
Hey guys, good new and bad news.

Bad news: some asshole jumped in front of my train and not only caused me and tons of others to be heavily delayed, every single travel option to either locations I need to go are shut down for another 3 hours, so I'll be walking home to Amsterdam and taking the bus from there, completely ruining all my plans for the day.

Good news: when I do get home eventually I won't have anything useful to do anymore so I'll work on the EP's, will also listen to them during my long ass walk.

Just really pissed off because this happens all the time when traveling by train, but it never fucked me up this bad.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1759 on: August 23, 2016, 05:01:01 AM »
Wait, did someone commit suicide?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1760 on: August 23, 2016, 05:08:05 AM »
Yes. It happens all the time and on one hand you cant help but feel bad for them because of the situation they were in, but on the other it's pretty sad that it seems to be the #1 way of commiting suicide over here because they traumatize a lot of train drivers every year aswell as delaying every single person in the train.

I try to avoid soinding like a dick as much as possible, hating on people who had serious mental issues, and of course I don't wanr this to happen to anyone, but there's no need to involve others in it.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1761 on: August 23, 2016, 05:38:50 AM »
Yep, it's pretty stupid way of doing it. My dad is train driver and there were situations when people in cars didn't stop and caused train to crash them. And I know how he felt after it. Actually I don't know, I know just what he told me :P 

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1762 on: August 23, 2016, 07:34:19 AM »
Yeah, that really sucks. I didn't mean to make a big deal out of this but that just happened to be the circumstance I was in at that moment.

On that note, I'm home now and making good progress towards the final countdown, can you feel the hype in the air?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1763 on: August 23, 2016, 07:42:14 AM »
yes.
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1764 on: August 23, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »
I'm ready, please be gentle.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1765 on: August 23, 2016, 08:35:42 AM »
literally dying irl

but not because i jumped in front of a train or anything

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1766 on: August 23, 2016, 08:38:55 AM »
nice

I think im doing 5 4 and 3 today and the top 2 in one post tomorrow morning before I leave

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1767 on: August 23, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1768 on: August 23, 2016, 08:44:27 AM »
literally dying irl

but not because i jumped in front of a train or anything
We all are. Some faster, some slower.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1769 on: August 23, 2016, 09:17:59 AM »
ahh good my results will be up today

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1770 on: August 23, 2016, 09:54:53 AM »
I already know the names of our #5 and #4 spots, does that make you excited?? :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1771 on: August 23, 2016, 10:05:50 AM »
:soon:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: August 23, 2016, 10:41:03 AM »
Bit late to the discussion, but I would say people who commit suicide jumping under the train are egoistical assholes, in my opinion.

There's no need to involve others in it.

Pretty much this.

And bring on the results already, I want to see how did some certain songs fare.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:58:58 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1773 on: August 23, 2016, 10:56:09 AM »
vektor - recharging the void at 37th place I can feel it baby

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1774 on: August 23, 2016, 10:59:11 AM »
vektor - recharging the void at 37th place I can feel it baby
CoC - Albatross
Recharging the Void is a good song.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1775 on: August 23, 2016, 11:21:19 AM »
I mean, I picked it over another longish song I like quite a bit so yeah it is great but train hates it tbh

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1776 on: August 23, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »
Okay, it's time for our #5, sorry bro, you didn't do bad but it was not enough to make up for the point difference :(

And I love that you genuinely care about BMUBMD as much as I do

Scorpion: Pump Me Up, Take Me Down – ToN’s EP of Unexpected Electronica

First impression/thoughts:
This strikes me as something I would normally not get from anyone, even for the electronic/frequents this would be seem a bit over the top, but I can appreciate the risk definitely. With the way it is structured you (unknowingly) start off with some artists I’m aware of what they sound like (Caravan Palace, Daft Punk (and Massive Attack to a lesser extent)), slowly going into untreaded ground, which is pretty cool. The fact that it’s all electronic makes it probably automatically seem like it’s a more cohesive EP, because it’s less familiar ground for me despite going to a lot of parties where they spin electronic music. Never really got into stuff like EDM at all, which I believe Daft Punk is.

And the Daft Punk, despite the effort you put into personally mixing it, is probably my least favorite off this EP right now. It has its moments but overall just sounds like “the same old EDM beat“ with some fancy samples (which apparently Daft Punk do live, that’s pretty cool). As well as with Sacul I’m glad the best stuff is on the end so I always have something to look forward, I love that Kirlian Camera tune.

Caravan Palace – Dragons

I’m glad you kicked it off with an instrumental from the Caravan Palace department, the vocals are a nice touch of the band but as an opener I don’t think it’d have worked as well. What a cool song, I never knew electro-swing could be as diverse as this, it’s more diversity than I expected to hear from these guys. I can’t really fault it for anything because it does its job, it’s a good high-energy instrumental opening for an EP full of both low and high-energy electronic music. It’s not winning me over the way Suzy did because that also had to do with the fact that I never heard anything like it before, but this time around the song is part of a something bigger, and in that bigger picture I can’t say there’s anything wrong with this choice for an opener.

16.5/20 #16 out of 38

Daft Punk – Long Song Titles

Transitioning into the Daft Punk song/mix is fine here, it doesn’t feel awkward and without really noticing we go from electro-swing to EDM. Now EDM is not my biggest obsession and to be brutally honest Daft Punk have always bored me a bit. I do however appreciate the effort that goes into this (both from Daft Punk’s live sampling abilities and your audio-improving skills :P). Can’t say this one did much for me though, it has some cool moments such as the moment Harder Better Faster Stronger comes in, but the song(s) don’t have much staying power and fall a bit flat in the bigger picture.

13.5/20 #34 out of 38

Caravan Palace – La Caravane

Then we have La Caravane, I agree that Suzy would’ve been a good pick here but this works too. I feel like I’ve listened to some Caravan Palace playlists before and I liked it, but the songs don’t differ much and I just burn out on them after a while, but since there’s only 2 tracks on this EP it works well as a change of pace opposed to the other tracks as they’re mostly laid-back. Comparing it to Dragons though, this one doesn’t keep me fully interested for the whole duration, it starts off fine but then goes on with the same pattern for a bit too long. The song wins me over at the end again though with the manly vocals, those are pretty catchy.

16/20 #20 out of 38

Massive Attack – Angel

I can’t help but feel like I’ve heard this song on tv commercials, it sounds very familiar. As for the content, I’m not disappointed, nor am I impressed. It’s just an alright not-too-out-there song that kinda tunes back the pacing of the EP, calms down the hype and prepares for a slow euphoric finale. If that was your intention, good job, but as a separate song it doesn’t really do much for me, this band might just be too sacul-y for me.

The Massive Attack song for the most part just left me curious to find out what the conclusion of the EP would sound like, it’s a nice little simplistic trip-hop tune, but it left me wanting more.

14/20 #30 out of 38

Floex – Nel Blu

So these last two bands I’ve never heard of, and this song by Floex is great, not sure what language they’re singing but it’s got a cool feel to it, getting pretty bombastic near the end only to tune down at the very end to transition into the final song. The drums and echoes in the background already give off a spiritual/atmospheric feel and it pretty much sounds like a more accessible alternative of the ambient stuff I’ve been receiving this roulette, only with vocals. I think that kind of music should be listened to in the context of an album anyway, and it’s fine the way you did it here aswell as it flows nicely.

16/20 #18 out of 38

Kirlian Camera - Drifting

And this is a very interesting one, with that hypnotizing intro it still leaves so much space for the song to develop as it’s over 7 and a half minutes in length. As far as chill electronic music goes, you’ve hit the right spots with this, the vocalist on his own is.. well not that talented nor great by any stretch of the imagination, but the setting is perfect for this type of vocals. But the humming kind of vocals in the background are amazing, this makes the song sound so huge, like they took lessons from Orphaned Land on how to properly create eastern-oriental atmospheres in music. 

18/20 #4 out of 38

The arrangement of the EP is pretty cool as it starts off pretty pumpin‘ and slowly declines in energy in the later stages of the EP.  Though realistically I wish you would’ve gone with stuff like the last two tracks all the way through and make a full-on chill EP, wouldn’t have hurt the flow whatsoever and this still leaves me wanting for more in the vein of Kirlian Camera and Floex. With the others, Caravan Palace is great but it’s not something I want days worth of music of, and I’m a bit impartial on Daft Punk and Massive Attack. That said, it’s still a great flow and instead of lumping together some random songs this really looks like something that has some good thought put in it. Thought you would be deadlast with a huge point deficit with a full-on electronic EP tbh, this was a nice surprise.

Score:

For the additional score you get 7.5 points, it’s a good score but could have been better if maybe the Caravan Palace tracks where after eachother and one of Massive Attack/Daft Punk was replaced by something that starts off on a high note and then breaks down over time, and put that in the #4 song slot. But hindsight is always 20/20, not much wrong with the flow here. Your individual score average comes in at 15.667

So that makes: 15.667 + 7.5 = 23.2/30 (+0.0) = 23.2

After the first few rounds I was sure you were going to take a top 3 spot at the very least, you were very consistent and sent some of the best songs of the entire roulette, but you went on a slow decline (or, my awful, awful tastes did :P) near the end and still went out on a high note with this cool unexpected electronic EP, especially appreciate the Kirlian Camera and Floex songs since I would've never heard of it without you.

Standings:

1. ???
2. ???
3. ???
4. ???
5. Scorpion - 23.2

I will fix parama's song ranking table soon but as it is right now it's not correct anymore because some of sacul's songs have changed spots aswell due to others becoming better/worse. Will post the updated one soon. Oh and not sure when #4 yet but it won't be too long from now, anyone hyped to take up that #4 spot??

EDIT: Here you go

#01:
#02: Radiohead - Exit Music (For a Film)
#03: Rammstein - Feuer Frei
#04: Kirlian Camera - Drifting
#05:
#06:
#07:
#08:
#09:
#10:
#11:
#12:
#13:
#14:
#15: Chelsea Wolfe - Carrion Flowers
#16: Caravan Palace - Dragons
#17:
#18: Floex - Nel Blue
#19: Nine Inch Nails - Starfuckers, Inc.
#20: Caravan Palace - La Caravane
#21:
#22:
#23:
#24:
#25:
#26:
#27: Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds
#28:
#29:
#30: Massive Attack - Angel
#31: Nine Inch Nails - Various Methods of Escape
#32:
#33:
#34: Daft Punk - Television Rules the Nation / Around the World / Harder Better Faster Stronger
#35:
#36: Faith No More - Caffeine
#37:
#38: Radiohead - The National Anthem
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:04:02 PM by Train of Naught »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: #5! (BUILD ME UP BREAK ME DOWN DO IT)
« Reply #1777 on: August 23, 2016, 12:24:37 PM »
oh, the excitement. Good write-ups, quite cohesive for such a long post.

Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1778 on: August 23, 2016, 12:28:44 PM »
...this band might just be too sacul-y for me...
I love how you made an adjective of it :lol
Good job, Scorp :tup Pretty risky EP, I don't think I'd have a courage to send electronic music.

And yesssss, I'm not last

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1779 on: August 23, 2016, 12:35:15 PM »

You already weren't in last place, with over half the participants removed before the EP-round.
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1780 on: August 23, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »

You already weren't in last place, with over half the participants removed before the EP-round.
This is what counts

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1781 on: August 23, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »
harder better faster stronger is a song that's OK
I always preferred aerodynamic tbh
also wow not 5th, so I won

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (FINALS UNDERWAY)
« Reply #1782 on: August 23, 2016, 01:27:03 PM »
i really don't expect to be anything other than #1 or #5.
thank you everyone I'm so proud to have won this abysmal roulette   :D

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: #4! (NOT QUITE GOOD ENOUGH)
« Reply #1783 on: August 23, 2016, 01:52:14 PM »
Congrats parama

Time for #4, I'm kind of in a rush right now but this is all written out a couple of hours before, I just don't have the time to update the standings but I'll do that later. Sorry Dave, you did surprisingly well cause it seemed like a bad EP to me at first but it grew on me a lot, some of the best songs are on here. Thanks for playing!

Bolsters: The Not Quite Good Enough EP

First impression/thoughts:
I’m not really feeling this EP, it has plenty of good material on it. Hell, after just one listen I already feel like Rage of Despair is one of my favorite songs of the round with All a Man Can Do not too far behind. But the overall feeling I got from the Acke Hallgren songs sort of represented my thoughts for the EP, it was enjoyable while it lasted but really didn’t have much staying power afterwards and so this became one of the EP’s I didn’t really look forward to relistening over and over again.

But as it turns out this was probably the biggest grower of the round, I quickly took an appeal to most of the individual songs and it started to make more sense as a whole, too.

Acke Hallgren – Interlude + By Omission

Being the strongest of the two, it’s an interesting way to open the album, but this causes me to lose some interest when the intro is over and the first full song (By Omission) starts off. At first I didn’t really care for either one bit and they were well on the bottom of my rankings, but the vocals slowly started to grow on me and I especially thought that there were some strong melodies in the Interlude. Sure, not the best song I’ve heard in this round, but these dramatic cinematic sounding instrumentals with some metal-suited vocals (still not sure whether this is a male or female singer tbh) represent the EP very well.

15.5/20 #26 out of 38

As we move on to By Omission it starts to get a bit more formulaic and logically so, it’s a pretty predictable rock/metal tune that focuses on exploring the dark theme that surrounds this EP, so it’s an obvious follow up to Interlude. I wish the piano during the verses was a bit higher in the mix as most of it gets buried under the constant g-string chugging, but once you notice it and give it some more attention it’s really a great touch to the somber mood. I also love the subtle harsh vocals in the background. With all that being said, this is my least favorite track of your EP but by no means bad, just not much to it apart from those subtle details.

14/20 #33 out of 38

Flaming Row – Rage of Despair

I think it’s pretty amusing how this song wasn’t even on your EP when you originally sent the EP to me :lol because as it turns out, this is my favorite song of the entire EP round.

This band is really something. From all the songs I’ve heard in this round I understand that they have multiple vocalists or just a lot of guest acts? But it makes it a very enjoyable listen. But this one was by far the one I liked most, the core vocals were just awesome and not something I expected at all from Flaming Row, I thought they were a progressive metal band with clean vocals leaning more towards classic heavy metal or something. This definitely leans more towards progressive metalcore than anything in the verses, and the pre-chorus is magnificent (rage inside, roll the dice, compromise :metal :metal).

With this song I really don’t feel the need to justify why I like it so much, it’s just a blast all the way through. The chorus I could argue is not the best, but it’s atleast a memorable element that puts some more diversity into the track (which clearly, it wasn’t even lacking in the first place). Apparently all three songs sent to me are from the same album, you guys really want me to check out that one I guess, so I will. :P

19/20 #1 out of 38

Amadeus Awad – Sleep Paralysis

This song is the king of vocal melodies, and I couldn’t have wished for a better vocalist to step in for that role, she’s amazing. You carry on the somber vibe of the EP that faded slightly with the Flaming Row song and for good reason. I think this is a fine way of dealing with the Lonesome Clown omission but it does take a small hit to the overall flow.

Anyway, I can see past some of the cheesy lyrics because the vocals are just great, very suitable to the theme of the EP and not hard to get into at all, coming from someone who is usually a bit more averse to female vocals opposed to male in metal music. I can’t say much about the instrumentals, they’re mostly here to complement/enhance the vocals and there’s no problem with them, they do the job. I particularly liked the first verse and the acoustic guitar in the outro in this one.

16.5/20 #12 out of 38

Bjorn Riis – Stay Calm

This song right here is what really worried me about the EP. It’s 10 minutes long and really did nothing for me at all on first notice. It sounded like a half-assed job of copying David Gilmour. I think it was when I started to link some elements of this song to Porcupine Trees “Arriving Somewhere But Not Here“ that I really started to take an appeal to it. This sounds like it’s meant to be a grower though so I don’t feel too bad underrating it at first. The first solo is fantastic, a pretty emotional slow solo, and they do maintain that slow pace. The echoing vocals get more and more impactful near the end and I just love them.

17.5/20 #8 out of 38

Beyond the Bridge – All a Man Can Do

Closing off the EP with a pretty long song, this was originally going to be full of 9+ minute songs wow. I actually think not having Lonesome Clown on here helped you in the long run, not even counting my appeal towards Rage of Despair, because it might’ve just burned me out listening to 3 longs of that length. I can’t believe I stopped listening to these guys, the album had some really good moments but in reality all I ever remembered of it was the Doorway to Salvation riff, pre-chorus and chorus.

And man, how my knowledge of that song helped you here, it really made me appreciate that final reprise even more, it’s one of the most epic ways I could imagine someone ending off the EP.

18/20 #5 out of 38

I had my doubts on some of the songs flow and stuff but in the end it didn’t really take away much from my enjoyment, it was a good set of songs that mood-wise, did very well together. The only exception being that Bjorn Riis song that despite the tone and mood was just a bit too different stylistically compared to the songs surrounding it. But I think it served you well because it was a really good song and was part of the reason why this EP grew so much on me.

Score:

You get 7 out of 10 additional points, meaning the flow was fine, a few minor gripes plus the Bjorn Riis situation, but overall nothing outstandingly odd. Against all expectations this EP became a much easier listen and actually a really good one, you were about to take a big hit for the flow because it just sounded like some random songs put together but I reconsidered after multiple listens, there’s definitely some good thought behind this one.

The score average comes in at 16.75 out of 20, so that makes: 16.75 + 7 = 23.75 (+0.75) = 24.5

I'll post #3 when I get home and then the other two tomorrow, hype hype hype hype hyp hy h

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: #4! (NOT QUITE GOOD ENOUGH)
« Reply #1784 on: August 23, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »
Well, I think the two Flaming Row track I sent are better than Rage of Despair, but oh well. I briefly considered Rage of Despair, but that track gets old quickly once you know the rest of the album.
Squ